Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looks like GW2 is going to hurt you know who.....

Comments

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by winter
    Originally posted by Thornz2000

This article is pretty good and focuses on the over $$$$ of GW2 and 'THAT' other company.

Enjoy....

/em rubs hands together

Noticed the lightning flashing and the thunder booming...

GW2 will do well for a onth or two and many MMO's may see a drop in subscriptions during that time. However the after the newness wears off the content is chewded through by ravinous fans and the repition sets in so will discontent. most will simply say GW2 was a good game but got old with not enough content being added faast enough and will return to the games they previously subbed too. nothing wong with that eventually GW2 will put out a pay for expansion (if you think they are gonna put out free expansions your kidding yourself)

I'm not a WoW fan, but I seriously doubt GW2 will seel as many boxes as D3 abd we all know how that ended. However GW2 will do well aas long as the whiplash for the hype doesn't turn many fans into haters after they eat up all the content.

Time will tell.

Its wrong to compare d3 to gw2. The only thing similar about them is b2p.  D3 was a shallow game that leaves a player chasing shinies. Gw2 is a dynamic alive world in which all content is relevant.  While d3 may have been successful in box sales, it's reputation is tarnished and if d4 comes out you will see drastic reduction in sales. 

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186
    Originally posted by Badaboom
    Originally posted by Thornz2000

This article is pretty good and focuses on the over $$$$ of GW2 and 'THAT' other company.

Enjoy....

/em rubs hands together

Noticed the lightning flashing and the thunder booming...

GW2 will do well for a onth or two and many MMO's may see a drop in subscriptions during that time. However the after the newness wears off the content is chewded through by ravinous fans and the repition sets in so will discontent. most will simply say GW2 was a good game but got old with not enough content being added faast enough and will return to the games they previously subbed too. nothing wong with that eventually GW2 will put out a pay for expansion (if you think they are gonna put out free expansions your kidding yourself)

I'm not a WoW fan, but I seriously doubt GW2 will seel as many boxes as D3 abd we all know how that ended. However GW2 will do well aas long as the whiplash for the hype doesn't turn many fans into haters after they eat up all the content.

Time will tell.

Its wrong to compare d3 to gw2. The only thing similar about them is b2p.  D3 was a shallow game that leaves a player chasing shinies. Gw2 is a dynamic alive world in which all content is relevant.  While d3 may have been successful in box sales, it's reputation is tarnished and if d4 comes out you will see drastic reduction in sales. 

Chasing better items keeps me playing.

New hair color does not.

But that's just me.

• KrossliteKrosslite Member Posts: 317
    Originally posted by GrumpyCharr

3. Launching a month prior may make people hold off on MoP since they are already playing a new game now. 

In my past expereince in the release of an MMO, which is extensive. This was not a gamble but a response to a well established trend.

In the past an MMO releases, usually with a free month to play. This is where the console players play the game. Since they are use to playing a game in a month. They play a console game and expect there to be a big finish.

In MMOs this is never going to happen. Mainly due to the fact that an MMO is designed to be played over several months not 30 days. So the trend has been that when the 30 days is up if not before the console players are whining and complaining in general chat that there is no end game. So they leave when the month is up. Instead of starting to pay the monthly fee. Since there is no monthly fee for GW2, this is where Blizzard is gambling.

So it is the console that WoW is aiming at once again. As the trend has shown to go.

The gamble that Anet has made is that the moment you start the game you are doing endgame content. Be it PvE or PvP they are already doing the endgame the moment they start the game.

What we have to see is when the thirty days is up will there be new converts from what was the console players to MMO players. Since they may find themselves immersed into the dynamic event system in Orr. Which is said to have several different endings not just a static finish to a chain of events. Also due to now monthly fee which they do have to pay Blizzard.

I bleive of the two gmables here. Blizzard will be the real loser, but we will only know when the pandas start running around in WoW.

A MMO is like life. It is something to cherish and enjoy upon in it journey. So why race to the end of it. In life at the end you die.

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202

From what I've seen in the beta, judging by the zone size etc, the game has about the same content, if not more, than sub-based MMOs. Also, the nature of the game, the dynamic events, allow for easy and quick addition of content. Without the need to increase the level cap or create entirely new zones. I find it very hard to believe that someone will finish all content in GW2 then return to their previous game and find more new content there. If anything, GW2 will probably be updated even more regularly than most other games.

Time will tell of course, but the way the game is built, it can be updated far easier than any other MMO out there, including changes in older zones, which would make no sense in a progression MMO.

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• WarriorNeedsWarriorNeeds Member Posts: 34

That's all opinion and no fact.

I think it's very relevant to compare the two.  Both are B2P; both are online titles; both are similiar in play-style (experience to gain levels, killing opponents in RPG setting, etc). D3's reputation may have suffered after D3's release.  But public opinion wasn't for the most part swayed until after a couple months of release.  You cannot argue how well GW2 will do when no one has had to play it for months on end.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

Anual pass starting to end will be the major cause of decline.

blizzard will probably offer a new annual pass promotion before the first one ends

annual pass accounts for 1.2 milion players

something Blizzard has not offered yet,

are veteran rewards --- like Everquest, EQ2, RIFT have

longer you sub, the better perks you get,  id be surprised if Blizzard doesnt eventually offer this

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    I  watched the web traffic during the BWE's for whatever it is worth I did not see any  downward movement in any other major MMO's traffic. Maybe in the long run it might, but I don't expect to see initial release doing much damage. I have been wrong though, guess I will just wait and see

I miss DAoC

• SiderasSideras Member Posts: 231

I don't think Guild Wars 2 will just turn the market share the moment it releases. Alot of WoW players don't really know wtf is going on outside of WoW. Expect alot of word of mouth before Guild Wars 2 actually takes the throne, but I am willing to bet on it happening.

• silvermembersilvermember Member UncommonPosts: 526
    Originally posted by WarriorNeeds

I think it's very relevant to compare the two.  Both are B2P; both are online titles; both are similiar in play-style (experience to gain levels, killing opponents in RPG setting, etc). D3's reputation may have suffered after D3's release.  But public opinion wasn't for the most part swayed until after a couple months of release.  You cannot argue how well GW2 will do when no one has had to play it for months on end.

Hey why stop at d3. Why dont we compared mass effect 3 to guild wars 2 afterall it is b2p. Why stop at me3 why not battlefield 3 or any console/PC game ever made I mean afterall they are all b2p.

Comparing a game soley by their price model is silly, MMORPG like tto make silly comparisomes so I should really be surprise.

Of course it is opinion.  Everyone here is just spouting opinion.  I have played both games so I stated my informed opinion. D3 is a lobby game vs gw2 being an mmo.  How & why are you comparing these two games?

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    WoW players will pretty much buy any new expansion sight unseen, the only games to suffer, if you can call it that, are whatever games they were playing instead of or as well as WoW, when MoP releases. Even GW2 may see a fall-off of players, until they have finished the new content in WoW.. its just one of those things, can't stop the juggernaut. image
  • Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by Jackdog
    I  watched the web traffic during the BWE's for whatever it is worth I did not see any  downward movement in any other major MMO's traffic. Maybe in the long run it might, but I don't expect to see initial release doing much damage. I have been wrong though, guess I will just wait and see

WoW lost 3 million players last 2 years, 1.1 millions last quarter.

The WoW player base is eroding redardless of other games, the question is can WoW recover lost players and/or recruit new players to stop losing subs?

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

Originally posted by silvermember

Hey why stop at d3. Why dont we compared mass effect 3 to guild wars 2 afterall it is b2p. Why stop at me3 why not battlefield 3 or any console/PC game ever made I mean afterall they are all b2p.

Comparing a game soley by their price model is silly, MMORPG like tto make silly comparisomes so I should really be surprise.

We can compare those also, if you'd like.  I know many people whom I played MMOs with who left or said they were going to leave their respective online game to play those.  Hell, everyone in the MMO I was always playing talked about how they were going to leave when D3 launched....so I don't see what your problem is with this.

Of course it is opinion.  Everyone here is just spouting opinion.  I have played both games so I stated my informed opinion. D3 is a lobby game vs gw2 being an mmo.  How & why are you comparing these two games?

I don't think it is out of this world to compare the two.  They are both B2P RPG-type games that people will and have left their respective MMOs to play.  Period.  That's it.

Edit: You responded to a post by someone saying that people will chew through content like they did in D3 and compared it with the potential lasting appeal of GW2.  How is this a ridiculous notion?  Have you played GW2 for months?

• sammandarsammandar Member Posts: 523
    Originally posted by Sideras

I don't think Guild Wars 2 will just turn the market share the moment it releases. Alot of WoW players don't really know wtf is going on outside of WoW. Expect alot of word of mouth before Guild Wars 2 actually takes the throne, but I am willing to bet on it happening.

I completely agree. I think GW2 will have good initial sales but the true increase in their playerbase will come 1-6 months after release. Once initial bugs are fixed and word of mouth spreads, I believe more players will be buying GW2. Just my thoughts.

• NoctonNocton Member Posts: 8
    Hopefully, Guild Wars 2 will provide competition to WOW and show other mmo developers that in order to complete with, World of Warcraft. You must try and design a game that is not a copy of WOW.

I don't think it is out of this world to compare the two.  They are both B2P RPG-type games that people will and have left their respective MMOs to play.  Period.  That's it.

Edit: You responded to a post by someone saying that people will chew through content like they did in D3 and compared it with the potential lasting appeal of GW2.  How is this a ridiculous notion?  Have you played GW2 for months?

Aside from the DE's, I think that level scaling in GW2 is far and away it's greatest feature. That means that all new pve content release becomes relevant and playable by everyone.  It is stuff like this I feel will keep people playing and exploring longer.  We are kind of getting off topic though. 

WoW has been bleeding subs and I feel that the trend will continue, regardless if gw2 is a success or not. 

Originally posted by Nocton
    Hopefully, Guild Wars 2 will provide competition to WOW and show other mmo developers that in order to complete with, World of Warcraft. You must try and design a game that is not a copy of WOW.

Very good point!

I can't speak for others, but as for myself, I'm not looking out for the end of WOW, I just want other gaming copmanies to stop making wow-clones. More than anything, I'm hoping GW2 does well so that I can have a fun game to play and so that other companies start making original games instead of wow-clones.

• MercAngelMercAngel Member Posts: 204
    Originally posted by Lucioon

People need to understand that WOW can afford to lose over 8 million players before even considering F2P.

Unlike other MMO on the market, WOW doesn't need to fear 1 to 2 million drops in subscriptions.

Over the course of its life, it already recovered all of its investment and its just generating Revenue. Even with 100k subscriptions, it will still be generating Revenue for Acti-Blizzard.

You can't compare WOW to other MMO's decline of Subscription, sure it will take a chunk out of its continous stream of profit and cut down on their funds, but just do some basic calculations and you will find that they have already earn enough to last them for a long while.

Especially with Starcraft IP, Diablo IP, and the upcoming Titan, Blizzard is not a company that will be suffering for a decline of subscription in WOW.

no if you read the news post WoW does need to fear a 2 million drop in subs Vivendi owns 60% of Blizzard they are trying to find a private buyer now for there 60% if the subs drop to far Vivendi is going to sell it shares on the open market  this will make the stock price of Bilzzard drop if it drops to far Vivendi will dump all of it shares on the open market to cut it's loss this in turn will open Bilzzard up to a takeover by some one else and if one of there competitors take them over what do you think will happen to WoW then.

• KillHurtKillHurt Member Posts: 347
    WoW will still remain a juggernaut, but GW2 will no doubt take a very big piece of the pie.

Originally posted by MercAngel
    Originally posted by Lucioon

People need to understand that WOW can afford to lose over 8 million players before even considering F2P.

Unlike other MMO on the market, WOW doesn't need to fear 1 to 2 million drops in subscriptions.

Over the course of its life, it already recovered all of its investment and its just generating Revenue. Even with 100k subscriptions, it will still be generating Revenue for Acti-Blizzard.

You can't compare WOW to other MMO's decline of Subscription, sure it will take a chunk out of its continous stream of profit and cut down on their funds, but just do some basic calculations and you will find that they have already earn enough to last them for a long while.

Especially with Starcraft IP, Diablo IP, and the upcoming Titan, Blizzard is not a company that will be suffering for a decline of subscription in WOW.

no if you read the news post WoW does need to fear a 2 million drop in subs Vivendi owns 60% of Blizzard they are trying to find a private buyer now for there 60% if the subs drop to far Vivendi is going to sell it shares on the open market  this will make the stock price of Bilzzard drop if it drops to far Vivendi will dump all of it shares on the open market to cut it's loss this in turn will open Bilzzard up to a takeover by some one else and if one of there competitors take them over what do you think will happen to WoW then.

Though I agree with you that Blizzard is in a very delicate situation, I think anyone would have to be mad to trash wow after taking it over. Even if NCSoft were to take over Blizzard, which I think would be awesome, I highly doubt they would seek to dismantle the game.

Originally posted by KillHurt
    WoW will still remain a juggernaut, but GW2 will no doubt take a very big piece of the pie.

Agreed. If GW2 plays its hand just right (which so far I think they are) then yes, I think GW2 will take a sizable piece of the pie.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

personally what Im expecting to see -- that you do NOT see with recent mmo releases

is GW2 will keep growing at a good pace

D3 sold 10 million in 2 months (including the 1.2 million annual pass)

but the bulk of that happened in the first week with 7.5 million sold (including annual pass)

I doubt D3 will sell 20 million before 2013

GW2 will be *nothing* like D3 for comparable sales  -- I doubt GW2 will hit 2 million in the first month

but GW2 should have a more consistent continual sale curve than D3

I expect GW2 to sell at least 3 million units in the next 4 months before 2013

for contrast, it took RIFT 3 months to sell 1 million units

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/06/07/rift-approaching-the-one-million-sell-through-mark/

• silvermembersilvermember Member UncommonPosts: 526
    Originally posted by silvermember

We can compare those also, if you'd like.  I know many people whom I played MMOs with who left or said they were going to leave their respective online game to play those.  Hell, everyone in the MMO I was always playing talked about how they were going to leave when D3 launched....so I don't see what your problem is with this.

What's your point? So there is a  little intersection between D3 and MMORPG but that intersection is generally small enough that it does not warrant a comparisom. 

• Thornz2000Thornz2000 Member Posts: 135
    Originally posted by KillHurt

Its not enough to TAKE a piece of pie, GW2 must HOLD onto that piece of pie or make it grow bigger while keeping it.

The world we know is going away http://www.graystatemovie.com/
    Look up Agenda 21 as well.