Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vanguard going free-to-play on August 14th

Comments

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Like every SOE F2P game is more Try Before you buy than free to play.
    So sadly I won't be playing it

• SilverbarrSilverbarr Member Posts: 306
    Originally posted by ste2000
    Like every SOE F2P game is more Try Before you buy than free to play. So sadly I won't be playing it

Actually if you check out the F2P model they have adopted it seems that there are minimal restriction, for example you can play any race/class combo, level to cap, use all items....

I think it's probably one of the best F2P models there currently.

M

"Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys. Look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death!"
    - Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Support the Indie Developers - Kickstarter

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Originally posted by Silverbarr

Actually if you check out the F2P model they have adopted it seems that there are minimal restriction, for example you can play any race/class combo, level to cap, use all items....

Dunno where you got that info.

FTP players can only use common items... plus no access to most of the games features (brotherhoods, caravan, housing, fishing).

ONLY 6 races and 7 classes.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-QKsiR0yv0W4/T_zF-7qhUyI/AAAAAAAAGSc/Xg-dWN4yFvo/s1600/vg_membership_page.jpg

.. it's the WORST FTP model anyone has adopted.

This is what you can expect to do in Vanguard. Do quests and dungeons without being able to use any of the items you get as a reward for them. Craft items you can't use and can't sell properly on the broker system. Use the political system. Maybe build your own ship, depnds if the ship items are common or not. Get your ass kicked at level 55 because your gear is useless. Leave or subscribe.

EDIT: They are considering changing the FTP matrix, see below.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
    Originally posted by Vannor

FTP players can only use common items... plus no access to most of the games features (brotherhoods, caravan, housing, fishing).

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-QKsiR0yv0W4/T_zF-7qhUyI/AAAAAAAAGSc/Xg-dWN4yFvo/s1600/vg_membership_page.jpg

That's the old model, they have redone the F2P.

Removed Class Restrictions: We removed the class restrictions for all races. You can now create that special combination of character that you dreamed about making!

EDIT: Can't get the rest of the info as the darn website is down lol.

M

"Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys. Look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death!"

M

Have they? You got a link, I'd like to check it out.

M

http://forums.station.sony.com/vg/posts/list.m?&topic_id=57701

This thread has the changes that are proposed.

M

M

M

Thanks, that does look a lot better.

It isn't confirmed though. They say 'considering' and 'discussing'.

But.. if those changes do happen I'll be downloading.

M

M

Thanks, that does look a lot better.

It isn't confirmed though. They say 'considering' and 'discussing'.

But.. if those changes do happen I'll be downloading.

Yeah, possibly I'm being too optimistic, but I would hope that by publicy posting it that they can't really go and make the options worse.... I hope... haha.

Currently pay a sub for Vanguard and find it pretty good, will be a lot better with more players.

M

• JaggaSpikesJaggaSpikes Member UncommonPosts: 430
    looks interesting. definitely worth a try.
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

Damm............What is wrong with SOE, they need their head examined trying to release F2P a week before GW2, and a month before WoW's Panda thing.

A week into it, this mmo will forever clear out and be dead for ever !..........All will be left is the people that don't have any money and cheap people.

As I always say SOE does not deserve to own Vanguard.  The law should step in and take it away from them.  A good mmo in the wrong hands !!!!

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    Originally posted by delete5230

Damm............What is wrong with SOE, they need their head examined trying to release F2P a week before GW2, and a month before WoW's Panda thing.

A week into it, this mmo will forever clear out and be dead for ever !..........All will be left is the people that don't have any money and cheap people.

As I always say SOE does not deserve to own Vanguard.  The law should step in and take it away from them.  A good mmo in the wrong hands !!!!

Well for those of us thats not interested in GW2 this is great news. Its probably going to make the transistion to F2P easier as the servers will not be as packed. 

The problem I have is my toons were transfered to the US servers because Halgar was dead when we were offered a free transfer but the ping wasn't good, hopefully I can transfer back at some point but this was the freemium conversioin I wanted the most so i'm actually really excited, especially now the class/races restrictions have gone. 

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

This is what you can expect to do in Vanguard. Do quests and dungeons without being able to use any of the items you get as a reward for them. Craft items you can't use and can't sell properly on the broker system. Use the political system. Maybe build your own ship, depnds if the ship items are common or not. Get your ass kicked at level 55 because your gear is useless. Leave or subscribe.

EDIT: They are considering changing the FTP matrix, see below.

The race and class restriction is correct, but you are wrong about the quest rewards and broker. You can use the broker as a F2P, you can also use pretty much all quest rewards as they rejigged them. Its high quality dungeon drops and raid drops that you wont be able to use, and you can unlock them with a cash shop item. You can have a ship as F2P.

But yes, the model is worse than most other companies. They should take Aion's model, and make money of appearance gear and conveniences, rather than trying to strong arm people into paying.

What difference would it make when they release it?

a) Vanguard definitely does not cater to the same group of players as WoW and GW2. As it is a hard core game (which rules out WoW players) and completely progression based (which rules GW2 players out).

b) They had to release it some time, if they released it AFTER these games then even less people would try it out. At least releasing it first means they will get people in the door, and some may stay.

Removed Class Restrictions: We removed the class restrictions for all races. You can now create that special combination of character that you dreamed about making!

EDIT: Can't get the rest of the info as the darn website is down lol.

M

You misread that. It means you can be any race / class combo (previously only certain races could be a class). This does not mean that F2P players get access to all of them. It means you can now have a dwarf dread knight, but only if you pay for the unlocks or are subscribed. Otherwise you have to pick from the F2P classes / races.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

agree

the Free Classes: Warrior, Rogue, Monk, Cleric, Disciple, Sorcerer, Necromancer

the Free Races:  Thestran, Halfling, Kojani, Half-Elf, Qaliathari, Mordebi

otherwise players can mix any combo, as long as they are subbed or want to unlock them

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350
    Originally posted by evilastro

a) Vanguard definitely does not cater to the same group of players as WoW and GW2. As it is a hard core game (which rules out WoW players) and completely progression based (which rules GW2 players out).

b) They had to release it some time, if they released it AFTER these games then even less people would try it out. At least releasing it first means they will get people in the door, and some may stay.

Well i played vanguard for about a year and then subbed every now and again, and im very excited for guild wars 2 . So i guess that puts a dent in your little theory that people who like guild wars 2 don't like vanguard.

• RingsideRingside Member UncommonPosts: 249
    Of course but you can download the trial right now create any class you want and play it for free once the model is being released
  • mastersomratmastersomrat Member UncommonPosts: 373
    No such thing as F2P (It would be like Ford giving away all their cars so people would try them out).  These games are either P2W which usually cost more than P2P or an extended trial....imo  Aside from that, I do hope VSoH gets enough business to stay open.   
  • DeadlyneDeadlyne Member UncommonPosts: 232
    Originally posted by Istavaan

Well i played vanguard for about a year and then subbed every now and again, and im very excited for guild wars 2 . So i guess that puts a dent in your little theory that people who like guild wars 2 don't like vanguard.

Wow you like two different things.  That really does put a dent in his theory.  I guess it does cater to the exact same group of players then.  If you look at it more generally it has to be.  They both cater to MMO players so thats the same group.  Or even better, they both cater to humans so they should definitely push the release date back.  /sarcasm off

Just to question the philosophy. Army of Socrates.

Oh you got me! Wait.. still not the same demographic.

People who are tired of gear progression will stay with GW2. People who are getting GW2 out of curiousity but still like and enjoy progression will probably be looking for something new within a month or two. If GW2 floats your boat, you wont be back playing Vanguard. You may have previously played Vanguard, doesn't mean you are its current demographic if you have changed to the gear agnostic style of thinking.

Look at all the 'What is the endgame in GW2' threads popping up. Those are Vanguards target audience. Not GW2s.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

I agree, a player can enjoy many styles - Ive been all over the map w mmos too

but evilastro may be correct that Vanguard's primary audience will be a different

Vanguards original intended audience was the EQ Classic Player  (Classic thru Velious)

post by Aradune

http://www.fohguild.org/forums/showthread.php?p=424297

Does our core gamer = WoW's casual gamer? I don't have their internal data, obviously, but I doubt it. Our core gamer is someone who plays 2-4 hours every night, occasionally spending a full day or so raiding, but who is normally focussed on challenging group oriented gameplay. The casual and raid gamer will indeed have content for them, but the core gamer is our focus. So also is creating a more challenging and longer term game -- a home.

I do know the average EQ player earlier on (launch->Velious) and it is their playstyle and time commitment whom we are targeting primarily.

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940
    Originally posted by ste2000
    Like every SOE F2P game is more Try Before you buy than free to play. So sadly I won't be playing it

I think it's probably one of the best F2P models there currently.

M

really... like with eq2 free to play your way.. pass!

• EverketEverket Member UncommonPosts: 244
    You do realize Eq2 is not Vanguard? And does not operate with the same f2p model? Why do people even bother commenting when they don't know what their talking about, if you're not bothered to read up about vanguard and it's f2p model why even comment on it? And people who already have made up their mind even before reading what the f2p model is all about? God why.
  • KnuppsKnupps Member Posts: 46
    Originally posted by Everket
    You do realize Eq2 is not Vanguard? And does not operate with the same f2p model? Why do people even bother commenting when they don't know what their talking about, if you're not bothered to read up about vanguard and it's f2p model why even comment on it? And people who already have made up their mind even before reading what the f2p model is all about? God why.

eq2 = soe = vanguard
    there is no f2p. just an extended trial, not limited on time but on drastic ingame elements.

only very few classes are available, just a handful of races, strong limitations on items, gold and lots lots more... it's rude to even use the term f2p. but then again it's soe, what else to expect.

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

This discussion has been closed.