Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Let's talk endgame.

Comments

• OldManFunkOldManFunk Member Posts: 894
    Originally posted by Derpybird
    Oh, this topic, yet again.

At least it wasn't about cash shops, right? image

• Hopefully GW2 breaks the "end game" mentality (as well as the rush-to-cap mentality) since it's one of the few MMO's that doesn't suddenly become some other game once you cap out.  It's the same game at cap that you enjoyed playing getting to the cap.

On a related note, how silly is it to have an MMO that instantly boosts you to cap or close to cap?  What does that say about how the company making that MMO really feels about its leveling game play?

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991
    Originally posted by OldManFunk
    Originally posted by Derpybird
    Oh, this topic, yet again.

At least it wasn't about cash shops, right? image

Give it time, we've still got 3 weeks.

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    OP

A: Seeing the rest of the game.

1-80 takes you through only a part of the game map. Not wanting to roll an alt is actually a plus in that case because from here out all the xp you gain goes to skill points. The good part is that it's not a boring steamroll and is challenging.

I think another answer to the OP would be: what ever you feel like doing. You can run dungeons 100s of times or as mentioned above go adventure. I left out a bunch but others have already listed Orr and any events ANet might have to surprise us with.
  • IamAproposIamApropos Member Posts: 173

Lets break this down a little.

First how long does it take someone to play 100 hours of game play time?  I was able to 100% complete 5 zones, fully explored and reach level 40 with 95-100 hours of game play.   That being said total completion of the entire world was %15.

So if level 40 = 100 hours then level 80 = approximately 200 hours and with %30 of estimated completion of the world explored.  This leaves me with %70 to explore.   With %15 = 100 hours that means I have roughly 600 hours of game play to explore Tyria %100.

So now the real question is how long does it take someone to put 600 hours of game play within Guild Wars 2?

A normal gamer plays 2-4 hours a day so lets meet in the middle and say 3 hours a day 5 days a week, which gives us 60 hours a month. Now with all that broken down, I did 100+ hours in 3 BWE's and stress tests soo :P I guess it'll be a little different for me.

This was just a example and calculation of my BWE experience and assumption that will be the same post launch.

What am I planning on doing after I reach 80:

My Guild Will Host Events

WvW

Orr

Helping people get their legendary gear

help promote sPvP E-Sports

and what not before they bring new content.

Do we know if the next expansion will be 12 months from launch or sooner?  Either way I know we'll have active DEV teams adding in new unseen contant dynamically.

Seems to me we / I will have plenty to do for quite some time and the best part about it is my experience within the BWEs was more then worth my $60 to prepurchase now everything else from now on is just a bonus!!!

IamApropos
    See where adventure will lead you!
    My PC Specs:
    i5-3570k oc'ed @4.2GHz
    8GB 1600 RAM
    GTX670 oc'ed @ 1.25Ghz
    Samsung 830 SSD.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993
    Originally posted by otinanai123
    You just dinged 80. You don't like leveling alts and want to finally experience GW2's endgame. What will keep you occupied for a whole year until the next expansion?

There is only one thing left: Asura Lumberjack Dance while drunk!

That video is brilliant!

Thanks for the breakdown Apropo, that puts things into perspective a little. I know a lot of people have this Mario Bros. mentality that the point of playing any game is to "beat" the game. There's nothing wrong with that, play how you want. I don't think that should be the point of an MMORPG though.

EQ had a gear grind of course. The difference is that it took a really long time so it felt like a journey. I'm glad GW2 is putting journey focused gameplay back in.
  • velmaxvelmax Member UncommonPosts: 224
    Dungeon, get legendary weapons, do dynamic events in Orr and play the future patches. :)
  • proponentproponent Member UncommonPosts: 92

Read some where on this site that is was a standard themepark endgame scenario.  Very repetitive. I recently hit the "wall" in my current "single serving" MMO. Say it aint so!

• C1d0sC1d0s Member UncommonPosts: 238

That depends. 

Are you comfortable with you character's aesthetics via in-game armor and titles?

If yes: Nothing. Wait until something comes out that you like better than what you already have.

If no: Grind PVP / WvWvW / Quests / Dungeons until you have aforementioned armor and titles.

A very simplistic view, but what it all boils down to.

Of course, you could always just play to have fun. The moment that stops, you should probably just look for another game - regardless of your level.

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919

Get your mind out of the mentality that the only part of the game that matters is the absolute end, and you will have your answer.

The mindset that endgame is the only part of the game that matters, that everything before it was just padding to make it seem like the game is longer than it actually is...

IT'S A DISEASE THAT MUST BE EXORCISED FROM FUTURE GW2 PLAYERS, LEST THEY TAINT THE GAME WITH THEIR INABILITY TO ENJOY THE JOURNEY, AND DEMAND THAT EVERYTHING IS FOCUSED ON OVERGLORIFIED DUNGEONS WHERE YOU DEAL WITH 9 - 24 PEOPLE YOU DON'T GIVE A CRUD ABOUT, INSTEAD OF 4 PEOPLE YOU MIGHT GIVE SOME CRUD ABOUT.

Was that too overdramatic?

• C1d0sC1d0s Member UncommonPosts: 238
    Originally posted by Enigmatus

Was that too overdramatic?

Yes, probably.

That's the crazy thing though. I cared more about the people around me killing a veteran troll during BWE2 (when they were hard, heh) than I ever had playing other games when out in the world. ANet really did a nice job molding the game for interacting with those around you.
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Apropo

First how long does it take someone to play 100 hours of game play time?  I was able to 100% complete 5 zones, fully explored and reach level 40 with 95-100 hours of game play.   That being said total completion of the entire world was %15.

So if level 40 = 100 hours then level 80 = approximately 200 hours and with %30 of estimated completion of the world explored.  This leaves me with %70 to explore.   With %15 = 100 hours that means I have roughly 600 hours of game play to explore Tyria %100.

So now the real question is how long does it take someone to put 600 hours of game play within Guild Wars 2?

A normal gamer plays 2-4 hours a day so lets meet in the middle and say 3 hours a day 5 days a week, which gives us 60 hours a month. Now with all that broken down, I did 100+ hours in 3 BWE's and stress tests soo :P I guess it'll be a little different for me.

This was just a example and calculation of my BWE experience and assumption that will be the same post launch.

WvW

Orr

Do we know if the next expansion will be 12 months from launch or sooner?  Either way I know we'll have active DEV teams adding in new unseen contant dynamically.

Seems to me we / I will have plenty to do for quite some time and the best part about it is my experience within the BWEs was more then worth my $60 to prepurchase now everything else from now on is just a bonus!!!

yea the game is MASSIVE. I don't think people really see how massive it is. Not to mention the DE's aren't always the same and Anet said they will be exapanding on them all the time making alt play that much for fun.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

One thing I'll do at 80 is travel around and look for contested areas to go be a heroh.
  • mcburlymcburly Member Posts: 234

whats the PVE endgame like specifically? I have a couple buddies I game with and I like to do pve but Im not big on raiding as its usually a pain in the ass unless you actually have a good group of people to fill the raid (which seems rare).

Im gonna check the game out but I havent seen any good info on the endgame really.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    Going to have to tag this post to see what some of you think after 3 months.   :)
    Originally posted by Teala
    Going to have to tag this post to see what some of you think after 3 months.   :)

please do ill be sure to drop in and let you know how its still going

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by mcburly

whats the PVE endgame like specifically? I have a couple buddies I game with and I like to do pve but Im not big on raiding as its usually a pain in the ass unless you actually have a good group of people to fill the raid (which seems rare).

Im gonna check the game out but I havent seen any good info on the endgame really.

read here

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/23448-guild-wars-2-endgame-you-actually-get-to-eat-the-carrot/page__hl__endgame

• JustsomenoobJustsomenoob Member UncommonPosts: 880

Personally I play on continuing to do lots of DEs and WvWvW (which, heh, I'll also be doing lots of pre 80!)

I like that you get set to an appropriate level so you can go hang out wherever the action is and just PVE out in the world with a ton of people.

And you get karma from it so you can go buy fun toys

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

endgame = next themepark

• MercAngelMercAngel Member Posts: 204
    Originally posted by Apropo

WvW

Orr

true but rember every one was in the start zones as the player base gets out throught the other zones in may take a little long to get from 40-80 then it did to get from 1 to 40 also we have no clue what the higher lvl zones are like

Yeah it's nice that you could be 80, go hang out in a level 1 starting area and not only be leveled down so there's a challenge but also receive level 80 gear if something drops.
  • prpshrtprpshrt Member Posts: 258
    Originally posted by Badaboom
    GW2 doesn't have typical endgame.  It has "all game."

This. People dinged max level waaay before they even finished the campaign in GW1. I think that GW2 will be similar

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964
    Originally posted by Tayah
    Originally posted by otinanai123
    You just dinged 80. You don't like leveling alts and want to finally experience GW2's endgame. What will keep you occupied for a whole year until the next expansion?

WvsWvsW for me. Does it work? It did for Dark Age of Camelot, I never got bored with RvR.

GW2 wishes it had DAoC epic RvR system, but we will soon see how it compares.