Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This really scares me !!

tharkthark Member UncommonPosts: 1,188

All the complains that the game is hard  , thats  a real slap in the face to those of us that like the challenge ..And It's not even that hard to begin with

The Swedish PC gamer review mentions this aswell, and if Funcom changes this because of a few whiners that just HAS TO SOLO the entire game..Well It makes me nervous ..Please ...Do not make them change the difficulty

If they do this it will effect the entire game, unless they come up with some sort of difficulty system (scalable) or a system simmular to the one in Age of Conan where you can enter a normal zone with group difficulty.

The game is in it's current state just filled with lots of solo instances , and they are even SOLO only--

Im sure you have heard these before..but..well

1. If the game seems hard ..Well , you can easily do an entire zone again for the xp

2 . Find a friend or anyone ...to play games with..Youll like it..I promise :)

3 . Try another build/setup

4 . Equip yourself with a blue healing talisman..and a few heal skills..

5 Craft a few healing kits..

Comments

• UsualSuspectUsualSuspect Member UncommonPosts: 1,243

Yeah, it bothers me too. Developers have this horrible habit of catering to the lowest common denominator, aka, the dummies who don't know how to play. The game is solo friendly enough as it is, if people are having difficulty with it then they should move along to the next WoW clone that should suit their simplistic needs. I personally like a challenge, I like feeling the need to group for safety, I haven't felt that for a long time in any MMO since EverQuest.

This game is fantastic as it is. If the developers start dumbing it down due to a few whiners I can't see it working out well for the game.

• WizGamerWizGamer Member UncommonPosts: 402
    Agreed. If they make it easier, the allure of the game will be tarnished by tedium. Only through overcoming adversity do you form the strongest friendships with one another. 
  • spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367

Doesn't surprise me, really. Most people on the planet are pretty stupid, otherwise they'd all be rich.

The people that are whining are those who hide from reality in these games.....being successful in an mmorpg and strutting around in Über gear somehow makes them feel better about their real-world shortcomings.

God forbid a game actually require something beyond 4th-grade critical thinking skills....that is just an unfriendly reminder that being a badass in your average WoW clone does not make you an actual badass or a genious...it just proves that you are extremely adept at sitting on your ass for long ours and following step-by-step directions....

Wow...MMORPG's are great training for yes-man corporate America!

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

well as you point out there are now more then "a few" that things the game is to hard. And there is a good chance this group is bigger then the "it's fine" group and if so it is only smart to try and please the majority.

I think a better tutorial woudl help... Like a MASSIVLY improved tutorial. This as i have mentioned earlier have the feel of the old old Eve... and that is not a good thing as you lost massive amounts of ISK figuring stuff out. Same thing here... only it is time.. and lot's of it.

Frustration is not good for biz

This have been a good conversation

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

Amen to you all.  This is likely one of the few MMO's that will be released with a solo challenge.  I think the fact that you have to pay attention to where you are going is the best thing this game has going for it.  It's almost a unique quality these days as devs typically make things so easy you can shut your eyes and hit random abilities and win.

We seem to be a small group that enjoys paying attention to where we are going, [mod edit]

I remember playing WoW at some point and thinking to myself are people really having any fun soloing this crap?  It had all the fun and challenge of Diablo (that's not saying much

• tharkthark Member UncommonPosts: 1,188
    Originally posted by tawess

well as you point out there are now more then "a few" that things the game is to hard. And there is a good chance this group is bigger then the "it's fine" group and if so it is only smart to try and please the majority.

I think a better tutorial woudl help... Like a MASSIVLY improved tutorial. This as i have mentioned earlier have the feel of the old old Eve... and that is not a good thing as you lost massive amounts of ISK figuring stuff out. Same thing here... only it is time.. and lot's of it.

This is exactly why I'm worried..If they change the combat they will ruin the game..It's allready to easy at times, when you reach the later zones it can be tough..but thats a good thing

What is there that is so damn hard to understand in TSW. ?.Just ask me and will try to explain explain...because there is nothing very complex about The Secret World..

• Reza82Reza82 Member UncommonPosts: 40
    I`m looking forward to trying this game out tonight and weekend during this free trial.  If it is hard, and if I pick it up afterwards, i really hope they don`t crank it down...
  • lalapoolalapoo Member Posts: 16
    Originally posted by spankybus

Doesn't surprise me, really. Most people on the planet are pretty stupid, otherwise they'd all be rich.

The people that are whining are those who hide from reality in these games.....being successful in an mmorpg and strutting around in Über gear somehow makes them feel better about their real-world shortcomings.

God forbid a game actually require something beyond 4th-grade critical thinking skills....that is just an unfriendly reminder that being a badass in your average WoW clone does not make you an actual badass or a genious...it just proves that you are extremely adept at sitting on your ass for long ours and following step-by-step directions....

Nice post Spanky you just crapped on an entire generation of gamers and every word of it is unfortunately true.

• sycofiendsycofiend Member UncommonPosts: 129

Awesome post Sir !!!!

• sycofiendsycofiend Member UncommonPosts: 129
    Originally posted by thark

This is exactly why I'm worried..If they change the combat they will ruin the game..It's allready to easy at times, when you reach the later zones it can be tough..but thats a good thing

What is there that is so damn hard to understand in TSW. ?.Just ask me and will try to explain explain...because there is nothing very complex about The Secret World..

I agree , having to go back and rethink builds and try different approaches when it gets tough is definitley one of the reasons I am so into TSW.  Games where I can watch tv and spam a button while I level, dont really do it for me

This is why only games I am playing ATM are EVE and TSW

• marcustmarcust Member UncommonPosts: 495

While I agree with the theme of this thread, I believe that games that require fast reflexes severely discourage those that have 300+ ping. 

Make games difficult yes, but not simply by making them reflex testers.

Playing: Darkfall New Dawn (and planning to play Fallout 76)
    Favourite games have included: UO, Lineage2, Darkfall, Lotro, Baldur's Gate, SSX, FF7 and yes the original Wizardry on an Apple IIe

Originally posted by marcust

While I agree with the theme of this thread, I believe that games that require fast reflexes severely discourage those that have 300+ ping. 

Sucks to die because of LAG, but if you do you hardly have to worrie since there isn't really a death penalty in this game..Hopefully it will get better..

If you have 300 ms + ping is hardly anyones fault but your Internet provider..And if you somehow lives in an area where this is the best Internet you can get..Well then you should consider playing a game that suits you more..

• spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367
    Originally posted by lalapoo

Nice post Spanky you just crapped on an entire generation of gamers and every word of it is unfortunately true.

Believe me, sir, I wish it weren't true....just feel like we are circling the drain and no one seems to really notice.

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

The funny thing is that truth is not universal, we all have truths but are yours the same as mine? 

Anyway while i don't like the whole over simplification of the subject. Just saying that people do not want challange because they find the game difficult is like saying that everyone just want dungeonscrawlers because D3 sold 10 mil units. The thing is last time i was playing TSW you got very little explenation within the game for how the skill system worked and what you could do with it. You had to seek outside guides to figure that part out. Now this might have improved since but it is a hard cold truth that the skill system in this game 8much like EvE) is rather complex and it is easy to gimp a character. This in turn might lead to frusttration and frustration do lead to people leaving the game.

And while i agree that it is refreshing to see a game the dare to dip the brasstackle in to the foodprocessor but this is the sort of complaints that will follow this game pretty much for ever (or up till the point they do a NGE) . Personally i have no investment in it as i could not stand the game due to A: My gfx card being to ald and the game as a result looks like tarp on my computer and B: the animations still are about as inpiering as rice pudding.

Will this survive in it's current form, hard to tell, eve managed to rework theri tutorial i to something that at least gave you a hint on how to do things and i think the auto placment in to a "starter guild" could help a lot. Now as i said this might allready be in place and if so i think the game have a decent chance of staying alive, it will never be a monster hit but it will be around for quite some time.

This have been a good conversation

• SicaeSicae Member Posts: 110

It goes both ways.

You have one camp screaming OMG GAME TOO HARD and the other camp responding DONT DUMB THE GAME DOWN and not enough that give good feedback.

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    mesage for devs  ;stop listening baby cry  & solo players...it is MMORPG
  • OtashiOtashi Member UncommonPosts: 78
    Game is easy enough for me to clear most of it in a month and be bored of it... I wouldn't be sooo much bored if Nightmare dungeons weren't so buggy... turning a 1.5 hour run into a 4 hours if you want to clear the last boss !

The funny thing is that truth is not universal, we all have truths but are yours the same as mine? 

Anyway while i don't like the whole over simplification of the subject. Just saying that people do not want challange because they find the game difficult is like saying that everyone just want dungeonscrawlers because D3 sold 10 mil units. The thing is last time i was playing TSW you got very little explenation within the game for how the skill system worked and what you could do with it. You had to seek outside guides to figure that part out. Now this might have improved since but it is a hard cold truth that the skill system in this game 8much like EvE) is rather complex and it is easy to gimp a character. This in turn might lead to frusttration and frustration do lead to people leaving the game.

And while i agree that it is refreshing to see a game the dare to dip the brasstackle in to the foodprocessor but this is the sort of complaints that will follow this game pretty much for ever (or up till the point they do a NGE) . Personally i have no investment in it as i could not stand the game due to A: My gfx card being to ald and the game as a result looks like tarp on my computer and B: the animations still are about as inpiering as rice pudding.

Will this survive in it's current form, hard to tell, eve managed to rework theri tutorial i to something that at least gave you a hint on how to do things and i think the auto placment in to a "starter guild" could help a lot. Now as i said this might allready be in place and if so i think the game have a decent chance of staying alive, it will never be a monster hit but it will be around for quite some time.

Can you please explain more in dept what you find so hard in the skillwheel ..You say you gimp yourself ..But is that a problem at all..? We all do that , it's part of the game, it's natural.

By the time you reach egypt you have so many skills to choose from, see it as a part of the game instead of considering that you gimped yourself..

And...A Huge tip is..Before buying any skills, head to the training room from the tutorial, use some points and try the diffrtent skills out..If you dont like them you can get the points spent back ..

On the second hand ,I also find it odd that you respond here but are not actually interessted in even playing it at all, due to your hardware..Ohh Well

I

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203

And I guess it takes some special "corporate America thinking" to assume what all people would choose to do with their smarts is make money off it! :)

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    Originally posted by JosephJR
    mesage for devs  ;stop listening baby cry  & solo players...it is MMORPG

Isn't one of the biggest complaints about MMORPG's that dev's don't listen to the playerbase? bottom line I'm afraid guys is where all business' have to look and if thats means changing the gameplay to get more money they'll do it, thats the reality and no amount of qq'ing on random forum will change that.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• FraugnutzFraugnutz Member Posts: 69
    Originally posted by solarine

And I guess it takes some special "corporate America thinking" to assume what all people would choose to do with their smarts is make money off it! :)

Hear, hear. Furthermore, that special "corporate America thinking" implies that poor people are only poor because they are stupid. To that idea I raise a heartfelt and sincere middle finger. Also, Spanky , you spelled genius wrong. 

On topic though , I agree that the challenge presented in the game is refreshing and that I personally would not invite a nerf to content difficulty. The challenging parts are easily overcome when player utilize the skill wheel appropriately. The game wasnt designed for players to pick a spec and run with it,  the intent was for us to find multiple , versatile builds that could be adapted per the situation. If you get stuck, retool your build. If you cant fingure out how , or what to do , then this game is simply not for you. 

• fatalis1fatalis1 Member Posts: 9
    Originally posted by marcust

Well half the time i have to play on a laptop using a tethered 'phone' as my internet connection and i don't have any problems playing this game.....Hell i even pvp in fusamg from the phone and get by just fine.....'adapt and overcome' my friend

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877
    Originally posted by Sicae

It goes both ways.

You have one camp screaming OMG GAME TOO HARD and the other camp responding DONT DUMB THE GAME DOWN and not enough that give good feedback.

Well when you have players leaving because it's too hard then there's an issue.  Making normal questing areas overly difficult is a bad move and retarded as all your doing is hurting your community and the game.  Having specific designated  areas that are obvious to the player that this area you are entering will be much more challenging and higher difficulty levels in dungeons are where the challenge should lie at.

People want to play the decks they want to play and not be forced to play "solo" decks.  General questing should not require one to play a certain deck at all.

• FraugnutzFraugnutz Member Posts: 69
    Originally posted by Ambros123
    Originally posted by Sicae

It goes both ways.

Well when you have players leaving because it's too hard then there's an issue.  Making normal questing areas overly difficult is a bad move and retarded as all your doing is hurting your community and the game.  Having specific designated  areas that are obvious to the player that this area you are entering will be much more challenging and higher difficulty levels in dungeons are where the challenge should lie at.

People want to play the decks they want to play and not be forced to play "solo" decks.  General questing should not require one to play a certain deck at all.

It doesnt require the use of a certain deck, there are a great many viable combinations that can be created. The best way to play , IMO, is too create your own deck. Dont rely on the premade decks to serve all your needs, they are not intended to anyway. 

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

Well said. As if there aren't tons of EZ mode games already diluting the MMO landscape. This is exactly what Cryptic did during the STO BETA.  They listened to the whiners complaining about the difficulty of missions so they reduced the difficulty. They then released a game that was so easy you could basically sleep your way to captain.  These players that like EZ mode need to stick with Blizzard games and developers need to stop listening to them. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft