Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Let's do this -- Guess GW2's final CRITIC metacritic score

Comments

• NethermancerNethermancer Member Posts: 520

i am going to say 90

seems like a fair bet.

edit - anyone who chose under 70 is trolling.

i would be EXTREMELY suprised if GW2 had a meta score under 80 tbh

this is NOT my opinion on the game this is what i think the critics numerical representation of there opinion will be.

From beta i would give the game 85 but i know its not fair to rate a beta but screw it!

Playing: PO, EVE
    Waiting for: WoD
    Favourite MMOs: VG, EVE, FE and DDO
    Any person who expresses rage and loathing for an MMO is preposterous. He or she is like a person who has put on full armor and attacked a hot fudge sundae.

• DenambrenDenambren Member UncommonPosts: 399

I'm gonna run with 77-79 as my guess.

I expect the amateur writing and abysmal voice acting will turn off a lot of reviewers (and it should), but there will be a lot of good fun and pvp action to be had for people who can look past the terribad story.

I think a lot of reviewers will see the potential behind the game for those who make their own way, giving the game a "decent" score, but they'll also recognize that the embarassing attempt at a personal story will scare off a good chunk of players.

• Paragus1Paragus1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,741
  • just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

I think people voted AWFULLY high considering it's MetaCritic.  They're just not very generous.  I love GW2, but I bet it doesn't score over 85 and that's being optimistic.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• pmcubedpmcubed Member Posts: 289
    Originally posted by Creslin321
    Originally posted by pmcubed

OP - take a lesson in social-statistics.

your scales ranges are inconsistant and the fact there is no ranges for anything below 70 notes your obvious bias.

if you want a fair and unbiased metacritic score, you have construct yout pole better.

Anyone who think that GW2 will get <70% on metacritic is being completely unrealistic.  Sorry, but the poll is fine ;).

At least make the ranges consistant.  This is the reason why China is winning.

The poll is constructed in similar fashion to how the +/- grading scale works:

http://people.sunyit.edu/~boylank/scale.html

lol. similar.... try mirroring that.  you obvious made arbitrary scales for some reason that I can only attribute to laziness or you are trying to coerce people into choosing a score that you had a personal connecton to.  It is unethical.

Yes I am uethical, go ahead and report me to the BBB lol. It's just a freaking poll.  It's off by ONE number from that scale.  ONE NUMBER.  And this is out of a 100 point scale.

Also, what agenda do I have here?  How am I trying to coerce people to choose something?

Over-hype~  

Not that I think GW2 will do poorly or receive anything lower than 70 - but looking at the history of over-hyped MMO's.... I think you know the harm in this.  

Guild Wars does a lot of things right and will sell a ton of copies, but are people ACTUALLY ready to separate themselves from the trinity?  Can they adapt to the skill-based 'twitchy' style of combat?  

PVP has a pretty steep learning curve which lends itself to a niche audience.  A few weekends isn't enough time to get a clear enough picture of GW2's potential longetivy and/or metascore.

Though, I'm sure you'll agree with me here.  It is pretty fun. lol

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Originally posted by just1opinion

I think people voted AWFULLY high considering it's MetaCritic.  They're just not very generous.  I love GW2, but I bet it doesn't score over 85 and that's being optimistic.

If TOR gets an 85 with 73 Critic reviews...

• PalmyCloudPalmyCloud Member Posts: 79

I voted 93-97.

What I normally expect to happen when a really good game is in beta stage just close to launch, that certain critics start to adjust their standards. A sign for that is that a game that would have expected to score 85 points, drops down to something like 70 points. Now lets get hypothetical: TSW is not out and release dates are variables.

In this Case (1:) I think TSW chose the worst release date possible. Reason: GW2 Beta, Result 70 Points for TSW

Case 2: TSW releases after GW2(win): The score might be lower but generally beta previews are an indicator for best case scenario in most cases. So critics would have been the same. Result 70 Points for TSW

Case 3: TSW releases after GW2(fail): TSW would actually look better thus it scores higher. About 75-80 Points for TSW

My point here is that I think this effect just happened, as in our example case 1 proved to be the case.

But you also have to differentiate between Critics that adjust and ones that do not adjust their standards (or simply did not know about adjustments or in this case about GW2;-)). I would say this site is just an example for critics that do not receive adjustment effects. To put it simple, the game is better compared to all other MMOs and adjusting sites do not care, they generally avoid giving scores 93. They will find their "negatives" anyways: graphics lower than tera, SWTOR has better VO, no raids, no mounts, etc. Just what you would expect^^

Conclusion:

Adjusted Critics: Score: 90-93

Non Adjusted Critics: Score: 95-100

I also expect a few extremely low scores.

Anyways MoP's Score is far more interesting I think.

Edit: Does this poll mean it will score a user rating of 81.8, at least on release. Just kidding^^

So when is this Metacritic score going to be available?  I'm really curious now.

Originally posted by BadSpock

You have a point, but Star Wars name probably garnered more attention than this will.  I guess we'll see.  I wish they'd hurry up about it, the curiosity is driving me bananas.

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202

So when is this Metacritic score going to be available?  I'm really curious now.

Well, about 2-3 weeks after launch I guess

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

your scales ranges are inconsistant and the fact there is no ranges for anything below 70 notes your obvious bias.

if you want a fair and unbiased metacritic score, you have construct yout pole better.

Anyone who think that GW2 will get <70% on metacritic is being completely unrealistic.  Sorry, but the poll is fine ;).

lol. similar.... try mirroring that.  you obvious made arbitrary scales for some reason that I can only attribute to laziness or you are trying to coerce people into choosing a score that you had a personal connecton to.  It is unethical.

Yes I am uethical, go ahead and report me to the BBB lol. It's just a freaking poll.  It's off by ONE number from that scale.  ONE NUMBER.  And this is out of a 100 point scale.

Also, what agenda do I have here?  How am I trying to coerce people to choose something?

Over-hype~  

Not that I think GW2 will do poorly or receive anything lower than 70 - but looking at the history of over-hyped MMO's.... I think you know the harm in this.  

Guild Wars does a lot of things right and will sell a ton of copies, but are people ACTUALLY ready to separate themselves from the trinity?  Can they adapt to the skill-based 'twitchy' style of combat?  

PVP has a pretty steep learning curve which lends itself to a niche audience.  A few weekends isn't enough time to get a clear enough picture of GW2's potential longetivy and/or metascore.

So my agenda...in making a poll that doesn't delineate scores <70 further...is to over-hype the game?

Look...

This is metacritic.  I don't think a single AAA MMORPG has EVER received <70 there.  The reasons I grouped them all into one category is because it's EXTREMELY unlikely that GW2 will get <70...and I only have 10 poll choices possible, so I have to cut something out.

If you think that this is over-hyping the game...then you must think a great many things are over-hyped.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• MorvMorv Member UncommonPosts: 331
    73ish, it's an interesting direction to take an online game but far from an MMORPG like most of the games released today.
  • MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716
    Originally posted by Morv
    73ish, it's an interesting direction to take an online game but far from an MMORPG like most of the games released today.

You are aware that metacritic scores by professional reviewers are determined basically by game reviewers, not a huge group of 'sandbox MMORPG' reviewers who base their scores off of how much it reaches some mythical 'mmorpg standard', right?

They'll rate it determined off of how good of a game it is.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

Definitely in the 90s. I just can't imagine what you would dock points from the score from with this game. It offers everything a great MMORPG should offer and, in many cases, offers something better than other MMOs have ever offered. No game is perfect, not if GW2, but I don't see any deficiencies any where and if you break down individual elements they all score very high.

GW2 is made up of excellent parts and then goes on to offer something much more than just the sum of those parts.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    I'm going to say ~92

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

Originally posted by Meowhead

You are aware that metacritic scores by professional reviewers are determined basically by game reviewers, not a huge group of 'sandbox MMORPG' reviewers who base their scores off of how much it reaches some mythical 'mmorpg standard', right?

Yup, I do.

and 73 is what I rate it... /shrug It does not meet any standard higher than that as far as I'm concerned.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

and 73 is what I rate it... /shrug It does not meet any standard higher than that as far as I'm concerned.

Oh!  I'm sorry.  I wasn't aware you were actually Metacritic.  I'm sorry sir.  :)

Yup, I do.

The idea is to guess what its actual metascore will be, not to rate it yourself.  If 73 is your guess, then so be it...but given the metascores of other recent AAA MMORPGs...73 is a poor guess indeed.

I wanted to add that I have nothing against the game, I look forward to it actually and have already purchased it. Maybe I will do a write up on why I would judge it that way complete with a detailed analysis and comparison of historical online games, MMORPGs, and single player RPGs and why I think the standards of an online game / MMORPG have slipped incredibly far down the quality scale to mediocrity at its best.

Yup, I do.

The idea is to guess what its actual metascore will be, not to rate it yourself.  If 73 is your guess, then so be it...but given the metascores of other recent AAA MMORPGs...73 is a poor guess indeed.

lol, well you're right about that Creslin321, I apologize, hrm, then it's an easy mid 80s... 85ish, but  not in the 90s.

I wanted to add that I have nothing against the game, I look forward to it actually and have already purchased it. Maybe I will do a write up on why I would judge it that way complete with a detailed analysis and comparison of historical online games, MMORPGs, and single player RPGs and why I think the standards of an online game / MMORPG have slipped incredibly far down the quality scale to mediocrity at its best.

You got it in a previous post :)...I would like to hear your viewpoints at some point.

Originally posted by BadSpock

You have a point, but Star Wars name probably garnered more attention than this will.  I guess we'll see.  I wish they'd hurry up about it, the curiosity is driving me bananas.

Either that or the reviewers were biased towards Star Wars in general.

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

Anyone that claims to love MMORPGS "must" love GW2, as "simple" as that.

GW2 is a MMORPG made with love and it shows....love to have fun! ArenaNet has made THE MMO!

a HUGE improvement from their previous game.

Cool story line,amazing art work, looong and interesting Lore, unique & very detailed Races, and a beautiful switch in quest system that trully makes up a breathing alive World to get lost in. If you have tried the Betas...you know what i´m talking about....

It deserves 90-100 in my opinion.

It´s not a perfect game and OFC it won´t be everyone´s cup of tea...no game can.

But it is trully outstanding! and perfect when MMo community specially needed those major gameplay changes.

It is a (not so) different game. Very similar to GW original in so many ways...but resolving (and improving....fss underwater combat is amazing) everything that failed then.

imageimage

imageimage

For me is GOTY 2012.

@Creslin321

Love Dirk's acting between :D

• pmcubedpmcubed Member Posts: 289

Over-hype~  

So my agenda...in making a poll that doesn't delineate scores <70 further...is to over-hype the game?

Look...

This is metacritic.  I don't think a single AAA MMORPG has EVER received <70 there.  The reasons I grouped them all into one category is because it's EXTREMELY unlikely that GW2 will get <70...and I only have 10 poll choices possible, so I have to cut something out.

If you think that this is over-hyping the game...then you must think a great many things are over-hyped.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Priming_(psychology)

People see this and automatically assume it can't get below a 70.  All I'm saying is next time you throw a poll together, use better judgement.

If you read my last post, I brought up some issues that not all gamers will appreciate.  So, touting that GW2 is the Jesus of contemporary MMO's is over-hyping it.  Not your words - never said you did that.  

But, people get so addicted to these games by playing only 3 weekends at maximum - then see your poll which obviously primes more exitement because it is skewed at the top of the metacores.  (Im betting option two, which has a range of 4, is your choice) Thus, generates hype.

Look at SW:TOR.  No logical reason to assume it would do as badly as it did, but people were in love before it even released.  The beta for SW:TOR also had an extremely limited beta phase.  

What's to say GW2's 50+ zones aren't as fully developed as the initial zones, that are by design, supposed to be awesome to lure in players.