Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would You?

AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

With all the buzz about SW:TOR going F2P and them saying the #1 reason (according to their exit poll) was because it was a subscription model, people are making all kinds of assumptions about the P2P business model. For me, SW:TOR just was not a deep enough, or good enough a game to warrant a sub. With all the excitement going on about GW2, I am curious how good a game it is and how deep it runs.

Let's play make believe for a moment.
If Arenanet decided to go with a sub model, would you still play GW2 when it comes out? Do you think the game is good enough to warrant a subscription? Or would the sub have you running away from the game, lickity-split?

Would the sub be the only basis for you to play or not, or would you look deeply into the game and have a few different factors help you decide.

Remember, this is just make believe here, so don't go too overboard with your reactions :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
- FARGIN_WAR

Comments

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

With all the buzz about SW:TOR going F2P and them saying the #1 reason (according to their exit poll) was because it was a subscription model, people are making all kinds of assumptions about the P2P business model. For me, SW:TOR just was not a deep enough, or good enough a game to warrant a sub. With all the excitement going on about GW2, I am curious how good a game it is and how deep it runs.

If Arenanet decided to go with a sub model, would you still play GW2 when it comes out? Do you think the game is good enough to warrant a subscription? Or would the sub have you running away from the game, lickity-split?

Would the sub be the only basis for you to play or not, or would you look deeply into the game and have a few different factors help you decide.

Remember, this is just make believe here, so don't go too overboard with your reactions :)

game to me offers more than any other MMO I can think of at launch and at its current state offers more than many games that have been around for years. So yes I would pay a sub happily for this game but there isn't one so I'm not going to complain:)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by Aerowyn
    game to me offers more than any other MMO I can think of at launch and at its current state offers more than many games that have been around for years. So yes I would pay a sub happily for this game but there isn't one so I'm not going to complain:)
    Exactly! Win-Win situation, right? lol

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• Thornz2000Thornz2000 Member Posts: 135
    Here has all the numbers.

The world we know is going away http://www.graystatemovie.com/
    Look up Agenda 21 as well.

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    A sub doesn't bother me at all. If the game is worth playing, I'll pay. From what I played of Gw2 in beta, I would most definitely pay a monthly sub. 
  • MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701
    After playing the game, I'd gladly have paid a sub for it.
  • elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

I concur.

• aslan132aslan132 Member UncommonPosts: 619

In all honesty, no. There isnt a single game out right now, or even being developed (Archage, TESO, etc) that warrant a subscription. Is GW2 a great game, hell yes. But could it live on a sub, no. But thank god Anet arent stupid *cough*EA*cough*Funcom* 

Games that currently have sub models still use a cash shop. Its all about the money, and money is in microtransactions. Like it or not F2P is just the way it is right now. Hopefully we will see alot more B2P like GW/GW2.

With all the AAA titles that are available right now, people just dont see a need anymore for a subscription. Sure theres still people that like the idea of paying a monthly sub for complete access, but like i said, even with monthly subs theres still a cash shop (cosmetics, appearances, costumes, boosts, etc). If the best game cost you over $180 a year (15x12) plus the box, plus any cash shop costs, but you can play the second best game in the world for free, and only spend what you want in the cash shop, why on earth would you pay for it?

F2P is catching on. Even companies that were solely subs at one time (SOE) are recognizing the shift. Players need to shift too. Instead of asking for more subscriptions we need to start the push to B2P. Thats the only thing that can get the industry off of F2P right now.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

The game has more content / substance than most subscription games I can think of (and this is including ones that have been out for years).

If the game was launching w/ a subscription I'd still play it, but it would be a somewhat stupid move on their part. I'd say the game is definitely good enough to warrant a sub, but people don't think that way.

• killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995

I believe that people will pay whatever they need to in order to play an engaging MMORPG with long-term appeal.  If that means a subscription, they will pay it.  If there is a cash shop that confers ANY type of advantage or individuality, people will spend money in it.  If there is a subscription AND a cash shop, people will pay the sub and spend money in the cash shop.

However, the most important part of any of the above situations is that the game is GOOD.  The better the game, the more people will spend over longer periods of time.  A game does not fail because of the payment model (unless it's ridiculous, like a $100 monthly sub), it fails because it is poorly designed, poorly balanced and not fun to play.

• SaydienSaydien Member Posts: 266

I definitely wouldn't pay a sub for it because it is far off of being worth it in my eyes. It's an ok game but given its casual approach and lack of community encouraging features it could never grab enough of my interest.

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

I'm not a fan of F2P games. I think they tend to be sub par, or their cash shops become too intrusive to the game, forcing you to buy content, equipment or whatever to be competetive.

I don't see any signs of this in GW2. I've already bought the game and will be playing for a long time given the BWE experience I had.

If it was a subscrition based game I'd still be buying it. It's well worth the price of a monthly sub IMO.

• deamiandeamian Member UncommonPosts: 66

Here is my question, why.. in the everloving hell does it have to be 15$ or free to play.. I would be elated to sub 5$ to 3 of my beloved MMO's and help them more that way.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    I wouldn't be playing. Not because GW2 isn't worth the sub in comparison to other games, but because I don't think ANY game is worth paying a sub.  I am an absolute believer of B2P + cash shop being the right revenue model.  That being said, if we look at the contrast in that if every mmo out there was F2P, would I still be playing GW2 as B2P? Absolutely.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

Originally posted by deamian

Here is my question, why.. in the everloving hell does it have to be 15$ or free to play.. I would be elated to sub 5$ to 3 of my beloved MMO's and help them more that way.

Iam surprised games haven't tried this yet like TERA for instance why not just offer a 7.99 monthly sub why always $15? something I found odd since obviously the $15 a month isn't working out for most game nowadays. 

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610

The MMO market is changing. Games are not worth 15 bucks a month. I have been MMOing for 14 years and seen every change this industry has taken. The big one was 15 bucks a month was needed to cover server costs and now they are just a footnote in a quarterly meeting because it’s not really worth talking about. MMOs used to be designed from the ground up, now they are made with game engines, that cost money, but lower the production costs a lot and save time.

So where is our 15 bucks a month being used for? 500-1000% profit? DDO has proved that a fair cash shop can make lots of money and win lots of customers. GW1 made it’s with a B2P model that did not have a pay to win cash shop. In this current market and the changes to the MMO industry. 

I would pay a sub fee for GW2, its worth it but no MMO is worth 15 bucks a month. First game to make it big being fair about the prices and the whole MMO market will be forced to change. I Hope GW2 has millions of players and their cash shops brings in about an average of 4-6 bucks a months per player (thats a lot of cash) Thats what I think is a fair sub, 4-6 bucks a month, no more. But I am forced to pay more because everyone is. We need to vote with our wallets if we want this to change.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

I would certainly pay a sub for GW2 - it's more than worth it.

I will probably spend money each month in the shop just to support Anet.

Originally posted by Nanfoodle

The MMO market is changing. Games are not worth 15 bucks a month. I have been MMOing for 14 years and seen every change this industry has taken. The big one was 15 bucks a month was needed to cover server costs and now they are just a footnote in a quarterly meeting because it’s not really worth talking about. MMOs used to be designed from the ground up, now they are made with game engines, that cost money, but lower the production costs a lot and save time.

So where is our 15 bucks a month being used for? 500-1000% profit? DDO has proved that a fair cash shop can make lots of money and win lots of customers. GW1 made it’s with a B2P model that did not have a pay to win cash shop. In this current market and the changes to the MMO industry. 

I would pay a sub fee for GW2, its worth it but no MMO is worth 15 bucks a month. First game to make it big being fair about the prices and the whole MMO market will be forced to change. I Hope GW2 has millions of players and their cash shops brings in about an average of 4-6 bucks a months per player (thats a lot of cash) Thats what I think is a fair sub, 4-6 bucks a month, no more. But I am forced to pay more because everyone is. We need to vote with our wallets if we want this to change.

I agree with that $15 is way to much considering how little content most of these games produce every month. Rift perhaps is only one I'd say you are getting your moneys worth from updates imho.

• TrunksZTrunksZ Member Posts: 263

In an ideal world, I wouldn't PRE-ORDER GW2 if it had a subscription fee, I would give it a couple of months and maybe try the free trial or ask a friend that plays to let me try it on his account and then make an accurate decision...

Who am I kidding in reality I would buy the game anyway just because the hype, after all I bought SWTOR and D3.

I can easily afford 15$ a month, however FREE looks way more apealing to my EYE than 15$ a month, but yeah I would still buy the game even if it had a subscription fee, but I would probably quit the game before the first free month ends, because its hard for me to stick with 1 game and with a subscription fee sometimes I feel forced to play the game otherwise it feels like a waste of money, although I waste money all the time, thanks god video games are my only vice... so far.

Also I usually spend more money in F2P games than P2P... ask APB:Reloaded.

TL;DR I am stupid when it comes to buying video games.

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379
    Originally posted by deamian

Iam surprised games haven't tried this yet like TERA for instance why not just offer a 7.99 monthly sub why always $15? something I found odd since obviously the $15 a month isn't working out for most game nowadays. 

Yup this has been one of my questions for years. I never understood why $15 is almost always the amount games settle on. I bet it has nothing to do with cost needed to remain profitable and more about "well other games charge that much so why not?" My roots came from FFXI and while the sub is only a couple dollars less a month, it is the only MMO I have payed a sub for that wasn't $15. Because this has never been answered, I remain scepticle about subs in general.  

To OP: yes I would pay a sub for GW2. While I remain scepticle of the sub model, it offers me what I feel is value in entertainment.  But like all other P2P games, it would suffer the usual questions of is it still worth paying for every month if I don't play it as much to warrant my monthly donation. Thank goodness I can just enjoy this game along with others without constantly debating unsubbing for a bit.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

Yes and no.

I'd first say no because if the game have had a sub, I wouldn't have gotten interested in it in the first place. The main think that interested me of it was that I could play without a sub, since for this year I don't have enough left in my credit card to pay a sub for the rest of the year (in Venezuela, limited to spend $400 a year abroad), so the posibility of not needing to pay anything to play for the rest of the year was what first attracted me to the game.

However, had you asked me after playing on the BWEs (specially the last one where I spent much more time doing WvW), I'd have said yep, I would gladly pay a sub for it.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

I honestly can't wait to play GW2 because of the game it is, regardless of payment model.  That said, I'm extremely glad it is b2p as I fully expect to pay much less on GW2 than MMOs I've played in the past and get as much or more enjoyment out of it. 

I think the greatest business merit of f2p or b2p is that it makes the game more accessible to a much wider audience.  People who would never have considered playing SW:ToR may now at least decide to try it out.  This creates the potential for revenue from players who would have otherwise never paid a dime. 

From the player's perspective, my favorite thing about good f2p models is how many who do not wish to pay or who may not have the money to dish out for recreational gaming can play and have a good time for very little cost, while those who do have the money dish out the big bucks when they want to and support those of lesser means.  It's like gaming socialism. 

• killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle

I'm willing to bet that they expect far more than $15 per month per active player with the Gem Store and the ability to convert gems to in-game currency.  For as much good will as the players have given ArenaNet, it's still a company that reports to investors.  Investors make sure the accountants (or the "monetization department") have adequate pull to represent thier only real interest ($).  If they thought they could have made more money with a $15 per month sub model, they would have gone that way.

• WarriorNeedsWarriorNeeds Member Posts: 34

I'd play for the first month, which is usually included with the price.   I probably wouldn't be playing it longer than 2 months, so in the end I'd only pay an extra $15.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Yes, it matters not to me if they want to charge a subscription or not. what matters is that I value the experience to be willing to pay the subscription.

GW2 seems fun and I would definitely pay a sub for it as long as I was enjoying myself.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Can't really say whether I'd pay a sub for GW2, as what drove me away from other recent titles was end-game execution and lack of true community building tools. Without seeing what A-net has up their sleeve for end-game play and community co-exsistence, I have no idea.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson