Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Let's do this -- Guess GW2's final CRITIC metacritic score

Comments

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Wait, do people think that Metacritic invents their Critics score out of the blue?

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/the-secret-world/critic-reviews

39 different critics reviews.

Do MMO companies pay them all? Does Metacritic give preferential "weight" to reviews from the "big dogs" like IGN/PC World etc.?

No and NO.

Critics reviews individually may be questionable, but the average Metacritic displays as "Critics Review" is far, far more reliable than a single review site or any combination of user reviews.

Kind of contridictory to my previous statements, but I didn't see that TSW review was from 39 different Critics.

So what happened with TOR review? 73 critics, 68 of them positive!

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/star-wars-the-old-republic/critic-reviews?num_items=100

Big problem with MMO reviews - they are ALWAYS too early.

I did the same thing with TOR - loved it at first, for the first 4-6 weeks I was hooked. But not worth subscribing too long term. Is ANY review site going to wait 2-3 months to publish their review? NOPE.

• BjelarBjelar Member UncommonPosts: 398

Listen, there are a lot of tiny sites out there rewieving games to get attention. They won't get attention by giving GW2 a 90 score.

At least a handful of them will give the game very low score just to stand out from the crowd and get a lot of angry GW2 fans to register on their #"¤#"¤ web page to rage.

To counter this, there will of course be the usual fight over who can praise the saviour the loudest too.

My guess: 81

• SentimeSentime Member UncommonPosts: 270
    Originally posted by Creslin321
    I think it's funny that some folks chose <70%...I mean, even you absolutely despise the game...we're talking professional game reviews here.  There is NO WAY that GW2 is going to get <70% on metacritic.  I mean, WAR got 86% LOL :).

It's not a contest to pick the metric others will vote for.

• nagawaranagawara Member Posts: 32

ppl still taking metacritics seriously ? lol

every hater can go there and just put a low scores just for the sake of it

once MoP is out i will go give it a 1.0 without playing it, that will do it xd

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359
    Originally posted by Sentime
    I think it's funny that some folks chose <70%...I mean, even you absolutely despise the game...we're talking professional game reviews here.  There is NO WAY that GW2 is going to get <70% on metacritic.  I mean, WAR got 86% LOL :).

It's not a contest to pick the metric others will vote for.

I'm not saying it is...I'm just saying they are wrong ;).  If they are right, I will delete my MMORPG account.  You can hold me to that.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

Originally posted by xr00t3dx

Talking about critic score here, not USER score.

Worst poll setup ever.

If you want to poll what people think user score will be...then make a thread for it.

• Thornz2000Thornz2000 Member Posts: 135
    wrong thread..

The world we know is going away http://www.graystatemovie.com/
    Look up Agenda 21 as well.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

I think the game will end up in the high-80s, low 90s. Reason being is the game does have a polarising effect on a lot of people. There's a lot of people who absolutely love it, but there are also a lot of people who will just find any excuse to bash the game they can.

I suspect there's going to be a decent amount of reviewers also stuck in the WoW-mentallity, who will rate the game poorly based on that alone. I've already seen quite a few vloggers doing this already (inspite their fans trying to point out their mistakes). Some people just don't care if they're viewing something wrong.

• otinanai123otinanai123 Member Posts: 265
    Originally posted by BadSpock

Wait, do people think that Metacritic invents their Critics score out of the blue?

Do MMO companies pay them all? Does Metacritic give preferential "weight" to reviews from the "big dogs" like IGN/PC World etc.?

No and NO.

Critics reviews individually may be questionable, but the average Metacritic displays as "Critics Review" is far, far more reliable than a single review site or any combination of user reviews.

Kind of contridictory to my previous statements, but I didn't see that TSW review was from 39 different Critics.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/star-wars-the-old-republic/critic-reviews?num_items=100

I did the same thing with TOR - loved it at first, for the first 4-6 weeks I was hooked. But not worth subscribing too long term. Is ANY review site going to wait 2-3 months to publish their review? NOPE.

Diablo 3: critic score 88, user score 3.8. Which one is closer to the truth?

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by otinanai123

I find diablo 3 an average game overall but most those low scores came right from launch when the servers blew up and people couldn't log in so they filled the rating with 0 scores

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• 83-86 is my guess.

No and NO.

I don't think D3 deserved an 88, I would say like 82...so I think the critic score is WAY closer to the truth.

I have to ask, have you ever played a truly bad game?  Like ET?  Or Big Rigs:  over the road racing?  Or Daikatana?

THOSE games are actually bad and deserve very low scores...D3 may not have been as good as D2, and may even be inferior to TL in some ways, but in NO WAY does it deserve a 3.8.

I really feel like if you think that D3 deserves a 3.8, then you have no sense of perspective in what makes a good and a bad game.

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118

I think, all things being equal, that the critic score will be somewhere around 95, provided they "get it".  User score - again if done fairly - slightly higher. 

Now, considering how things actually run on those sites, the actual numbers will be a little lower, maybe around 90 for critics and slightly higher for users - if the haters don't purposely try to downgrade the score.  Considering some of the hatred I've seen on this site, I wouldn't be very surprised. lol

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• pmcubedpmcubed Member Posts: 289

OP - take a lesson in social-statistics.

your scales ranges are inconsistant and the fact there is no ranges for anything below 70 notes your obvious bias.

if you want a fair and unbiased metacritic score, you have construct yout pole better.

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    Originally posted by MadDemon64

Talking about critic score here, not USER score.

So wait, the score for GW2 is an SCP?

Heheh I had been listening to Merry Christmas from Chiron Beta Prime when I wrote that.

Glad you got it.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

Originally posted by pmcubed

your scales ranges are inconsistant and the fact there is no ranges for anything below 70 notes your obvious bias.

if you want a fair and unbiased metacritic score, you have construct yout pole better.

Anyone who think that GW2 will get <70% on metacritic is being completely unrealistic.  Sorry, but the poll is fine ;).

Anyone who think that GW2 will get <70% on metacritic is being completely unrealistic.  Sorry, but the poll is fine ;).

At least make the ranges consistant.  This is the reason why China is winning.

• otinanai123otinanai123 Member Posts: 265

No and NO.

I don't think D3 deserved an 88, I would say like 82...so I think the critic score is WAY closer to the truth.

I have to ask, have you ever played a truly bad game?  Like ET?  Or Big Rigs:  over the road racing?  Or Daikatana?

THOSE games are actually bad and deserve very low scores...D3 may not have been as good as D2, and may even be inferior to TL in some ways, but in NO WAY does it deserve a 3.8.

I really feel like if you think that D3 deserves a 3.8, then you have no sense of perspective in what makes a good and a bad game.

Different people have different rating systems I guess. For me a great game is above 8, an average game is between 4-6 and a truly horrible game is at 0-1. D3 is an average game so I'd give it a ~5. (and in no way is torlchlight better than either d2 or d3, I would give it a 2 or2.5 max) 

An 82 for D3 seems crazy and unrealistic and (as the user reviews show) most people would agree with me and not you.

The poll is constructed in similar fashion to how the +/- grading scale works:

http://people.sunyit.edu/~boylank/scale.html

lol. similar.... try mirroring that.  you obvious made arbitrary scales for some reason that I can only attribute to laziness or you are trying to coerce people into choosing a score that you had a personal connecton to.  It is unethical.

No and NO.

Different people have different rating systems I guess. For me a great game is above 8, an average game is between 4-6 and a truly horrible game is at 0-1. D3 is an average game so I'd give it a ~5. (and in no way is torlchlight better than either d2 or d3, I would give it a 2 or2.5 max) 

An 82 for D3 seems crazy and unrealistic and (as the user reviews show) most people would agree with me and not you.

Yeah but here's the thing...we are talking about metacritic here, which is just a aggregate of review scores.  And MOST reviewers use a scale similar to the US grading system, which basically means that metacritic uses the US grading system as well.  A 80-89 score for a game is very comparable to getting a "B" on your paper in school.

We are not talking about someone's arbitrarily defined scale.  And honestly, arguing that you like using the whole scale or whatever is kind of dumb anyway, because there are an infinite amount of number between any two integers anyway.  So it's not like you're losing any expressiveness by basically dismissing all numbers below 7 as "failure."

My viewpoint is that we may as well just use the scale that the majority of other people use.  All trying to use your own scale does is muck things up...there is nothing inherently "better" with any scale over another.

lol. similar.... try mirroring that.  you obvious made arbitrary scales for some reason that I can only attribute to laziness or you are trying to coerce people into choosing a score that you had a personal connecton to.  It is unethical.

Yes I am uethical, go ahead and report me to the BBB lol. It's just a freaking poll.  It's off by ONE number from that scale.  ONE NUMBER.  And this is out of a 100 point scale.

Also, what agenda do I have here?  How am I trying to coerce people to choose something?

Creslin is right -

YOU personally may not like GW2, but anyone thinking its over-all Metacritic score (based on average of Critics reviews) is going to be anything less than 70% is "dey turk our jerbz!" stupid.

Creslin is right -

YOU personally may not like GW2, but anyone thinking its over-all Metacritic score (based on average of Critics reviews) is going to be anything less than 70% is "dey turk our jerbz!" stupid.

Thank you lol :).  I seriously thought people had lost their minds.

Creslin is right -

Thank you lol :).  I seriously thought people had lost their minds.

CRESLIN IS ASKING WHAT METACRITIC OVER-ALL SCORE FOR CRITICS IS GOING TO BE - NOT WHAT YOU THINK THE SCORE SHOULD BE