Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Let's do this -- Guess GW2's final CRITIC metacritic score

Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

<SCORE REDACTED>

Talking about critic score here, not USER score.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

Comments

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

I'd guess that it will go between 75-85%. So I picked 80-82.

The reason I think that is because of this GW2 vs WoW battle thats going on. I think a lot of people on the WoW side will intentionally mark it down without properly playing it (or, most likely, without even buying it).

EDIT: I meant user score here

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • friednietzfriednietz Member Posts: 118

Too damn high. ;)

• MrlogicMrlogic Member Posts: 178
    Yea,... 93-97ish... any score lower than that would surprise me alot!
  • Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359
    Originally posted by janii

87-89 i voted, but i would rather say  82-86

also those 100% which will never happen are mostly fanboys.. u should have kept that away

I just laid out the scores in a manner similar to how a lot of American colleges have +/- grades...I don't think it's fair to make a poll and then take away an option because people may actually pick it ;).

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Let's see...

Highest Metacritic scores for MMOs are...

SWTOR: Critc - 93 User 8.9

WoW (cata): Critic - 90 User 5.2

Recent Metacritic scores for MMOs...

TERA: Critic 77 User 7.1

TSW: Critic 71 User 8.4

So what will GW2 get?

GW2: Critic 94 user 9.0

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877
    Originally posted by Vannor

I'd guess is that it will go between 75-85%.

The reason I think that is because of this GW2 vs WoW battle thats going on. I think a lot of people on the WoW side will intentionally mark it down without properly playing it (or, most likely, without even buying it).

I don't think so, no worse than SWTOR or TSW, for two reasons. 1.  Many WoW fans will be converted as only the hateful and spiteful would not even try the game, hell if your spending 15 bucks a month on WoW then paying a one time 60 bucks or whatever is chunk change.  2.  The popularity of GW2 will, I perdict, will make any impact haters will have be minimal.  Also I think it will be more of a TSW vs GW2 battle than WoW vs GW2 battle.

But am betting the game metacritic score will be in the 90s or the high 80s in a worse case senario.

I think it's funny that some folks chose <70%...I mean, even you absolutely despise the game...we're talking professional game reviews here.  There is NO WAY that GW2 is going to get <70% on metacritic.  I mean, WAR got 86% LOL :).

Originally posted by Ambros123

I don't think so, no worse than SWTOR or TSW, for two reasons. 1.  Many WoW fans will be converted as only the hateful and spiteful would not even try the game, hell if your spending 15 bucks a month on WoW then paying a one time 60 bucks or whatever is chunk change.  2.  The popularity of GW2 will, I perdict, will make any impact haters will have be minimal. 

But am betting the game metacritic score will be in the 90s or the high 80s in a worse case senario.

Vannor was talking about user score I think...I originally didn't specify that this was just for the critic score, but his post made me realize I had to do this.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Metacritic is unreliable

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• ZooceZooce Member Posts: 586
    Cres, I found it hard to ignore your guess while voting.  Might want to move it to a second post in the thread for those of us so easily conditioned.
    Originally posted by Zooce
    Cres, I found it hard to ignore your guess while voting.  Might want to move it to a second post in the thread for those of us so easily conditioned.

Will do!

93%!

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Originally posted by Creslin321
    Originally posted by Ambros123

I don't think so, no worse than SWTOR or TSW, for two reasons. 1.  Many WoW fans will be converted as only the hateful and spiteful would not even try the game, hell if your spending 15 bucks a month on WoW then paying a one time 60 bucks or whatever is chunk change.  2.  The popularity of GW2 will, I perdict, will make any impact haters will have be minimal. 

Vannor was talking about user score I think...I originally didn't specify that this was just for the critic score, but his post made me realize I had to do this.

Yes, I meant user score here. I'll edit my post to reflect that. Anyways, maybe I'm just cynical. For me I'd say it's about 95% and I think the critics will definately rate it 90% or over.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    Critic scores are swayed by money...so I'd say 90-100

Both Critic score and User score are unreliable...

WoW:Cataclysm Critic score : 90

User score : 5.2

1+ year later, still over 9 million players. So....

I think it's sh!t and MoP is going to be the first WoW expac I don't buy, but come on Metacritic.

TOR: Critic 93?! 93?!?

User: 8.9 really?

• freegamesfreegames Member UncommonPosts: 240

Since Guild Wars got 89, Factions & Nightfall 84, and EOTN

So 86

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144

Isn't the user score considerably more useful than the critic score?

Originally posted by thinktank001

Isn't the user score considerably more useful than the critic score?

Critics can't / aren't supposed to create an account and give a game a 0/10 just because they don't like it.

Or a 10/10 just because they do.

User score is far, far less reliable IMO.

Sad part is that a lot of the critic scores are just as puffed up for various reasons.

• SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114

I'm going with 93-97% around there. 

The combat isn't exactly Tera, while it's far from your old WoW mentality as well.  A blend of the two between them, with the added bonus of combat mobility rather than being locked into stationary mode while attacking.  

The character races are a mix of standard and unique.  There's a slight limitation on some of them, but there's more than enough sliders to make up for that.

For gameplay there's a plethora of things to do from casual crafting, jump puzzles, and mini-games to general dungeons, personal story quests, structured PvP, and mass-scale siege warefare in WvWvW.

The game's world is filled to the brim with beautiful vistas and gigantic things.  The cities themselves, of which there are 6, take hours of discovery for just one of them and you'll still not discover everything there is of it.

With all that there is in the game, it's shortfalls (whatever they may be) will be far outshined by the greatness of the rest of the game.  WoW be damned, this game has content!

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    Metacritic is unreliable

This is the correct guess!

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

87-92 Critic

75-82 User unless we have another MW3 scenario on our hands.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• otinanai123otinanai123 Member Posts: 265

Nobody cares about the critic score (those sites stopped being reliable and honest years ago). The user score is where it's at.

• IndromeIndrome Member UncommonPosts: 292
    Originally posted by otinanai123

[ ... ] The user score is where it's at.

My OWN OPINION is where it's at!

But seriously, I kinda suspect Metacritic is bought and paid for. So this will be at about 87~ish max.

Originally posted by otinanai123

Nobody cares about the critic score (those sites stopped being reliable and honest years ago). The user score is where it's at.

You may not care about critic score..but believe me, people care about it.  Publishers will sometimes even base a developers' potential bonus around a specific metacritic goal.  In fact, Obsidian lost a lot of money because FONV got an 84% metacritic score, and they would only get a bonus if it got an 85%. 

Bullshit?  Yes.  But it proves that critic scores are still pretty important.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254