Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Rift: Telara’s Unsung Hero – Mentoring

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

There are a lot of great features in Rift, many of them well-known such as the new three-faction PvP. But some great ones are often overlooked. In today's Tripping the Rift, we take a look at the mentoring system. Check it out!

Rift is one of the few MMOs in recent memory that truly delivers content on a pace that’s deserving of its subscription fee. I’ve been subbed to Rift since its launch, even if I rarely get the chance to play, just because I personally believe in the game and the devs’ ability to churn out quality frequent updates. But the unsung hero of their most recent Conquest patch is undoubtedly the “Mentoring” system. It’s not a new feature to MMORPGs, but it’s one that’s sorely overlooked by recent launches. Let my cohorts and I explain why we think Rift did it right.

Read more of the MMORPG.com staff thoughts in Tripping the Rift: Telara’s Unsung Hero – Mentoring.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• MaxJacMaxJac Member Posts: 185

I wasn't aware it was handled where you still reaped the rewards. I can see why the game has succeeded as a subscription based mmo. I think it would do better as a f2p hybrid title, but the fact that it maintains a subscription model and has a nice flow of content is most impressive. I look forward to their partnership with SyFy. I must admit that I have more faith in their part than the part of SyFy.

• lotapartylotaparty Member Posts: 514
    rift is an exception in new subscription based model games . the game is surviving and thriving . i hope i win 1 year subscription though :P
  • AstraeisAstraeis Member UncommonPosts: 378
    I wish they would have payed more attention to replayability. On top of that I wished new content was actually brand new and not a copy and paste of former content. Mentoring is a good system, but the game does not deliver on replayability. When you have leveled 3 or more characters to level 50 there is no charm in redoing the same content, except to help out a friend every now and then.

It takes one to know one.

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    I wish the game was less greyed out, I'm not really into the armor style :-(
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Well it is a nice feature and i remember when Cryptic first introduced it to City of Heroes it was a kanor leg up and made the game a lot more fun. So if you are a former Rifter byt left becuas ryou either out-leveld your friends or they did the dame.. Give this a try because it is usually pretty fun makes the game feel a bit fresher.

This have been a good conversation

• SekkerhundSekkerhund Member UncommonPosts: 20
    Originally posted by Astraeis
    I wish they would have payed more attention to replayability. On top of that I wished new content was actually brand new and not a copy and paste of former content. Mentoring is a good system, but the game does not deliver on replayability. When you have leveled 3 or more characters to level 50 there is no charm in redoing the same content, except to help out a friend every now and then.

I agree.  That's really the only reason I unsubscribed and stopped playing, was that I'd gone as far was I could without having to find a raiding guild and raiding, which is not something that I enjoy anymore.  These developers have to realize, that there are a lot of players who would rather not get involved with "raid" content at the end game.  My hope is that by the time I cycle my way through my current games, to a similar point, RIFT will have enough new non-raid content and features to engage me for another 18 months of gameplay.

• GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894
    At least they made chronicles to give players a taste of the raid lore. A lot of companies don't even do that. Can you imagine 1 man mini molten core?
  • rwyanrwyan Member UncommonPosts: 468
    Originally posted by Gaenjin
    Originally posted by Astraeis

I agree.  That's really the only reason I unsubscribed and stopped playing, was that I'd gone as far was I could without having to find a raiding guild and raiding, which is not something that I enjoy anymore.  These developers have to realize, that there are a lot of players who would rather not get involved with "raid" content at the end game.  My hope is that by the time I cycle my way through my current games, to a similar point, RIFT will have enough new non-raid content and features to engage me for another 18 months of gameplay.

Not so much a comment towards Rift, but I couldn't agree more.  I do enjoy running raids.  But I prefer content that caters to smaller groups of players and doesn't require me to sit around and wait.  Anything that requires significant organization and planning shouldn't be the primary offering. 

In FF14, the leveling process is very much that.  Kind of bland, but there are options.  The end game is all raids/instances.  

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154
    Originally posted by Grakulen
    At least they made chronicles to give players a taste of the raid lore. A lot of companies don't even do that. Can you imagine 1 man mini molten core?

WoW is the wrong game to call out here, because they made it so anyone can experience the raids.  Having the easy mode raids for people that dont have the time or dont want to deal with raid schedules is actually a pretty cool move, its the people that make the raid finder system crappy.

I do have some major issues with Suzie's take though:

"Trion has been very assertive about adding new content since Rift’s launch so the mentoring system is a terrific way to revisit low level zones and see what’s new.

I have to give props to Trion for spectacular innovation on the mentoring system and for giving other developers something better to shoot for."

Revisit low zones and see whats new?  Outside of IA, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.  Sure you might go try the IA in the low level zones once, but after you spend a few inutes doing it it loses its appeal.  Trion has done next to nothing for low/mid level content.  Astraeis is right.

Now mentoring is great for playing with lower level friends and newbies.  But "spectacular innovation?"  Come on, EQ2 did the same thing where you could mentor down and earn exp and AAs as well.  Good addition to the game?  Absolutely.  Innovative?  Not remotely.

• EllaroseEllarose Member Posts: 4

i wish the game was more greyed out! like straight up grey! armor style is the only way to go!

• LadyAlyseLadyAlyse Member UncommonPosts: 36
    I am enjoying the IA.  I love the loot and it helps to level in a more fun way.  Trion is very good at coming up with great ideas.  Today when I was killing invaders, red and green 'stone's appeared when certain ones died.  Picked up, they gave you flame throwing or the ability to raise up spiders to help.  This was very beneficial since there were just two of us guarding the ward stone at the time.  Thanks, Trion.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    One of my top and actually only 3 games existing woth sub and playing is Rift. However after returning after half year my old servers were again transformed into "test servers". And nobody was around. I still like game, engine, idea, unique goodies inside, ... but I'm afraid player base have dropped a lot. I have been following forums and had impression all is going in positive way. However is true now in summer in all games players drops so I hope will be more when expansion comes to life.

Originally posted by daltanious One of my top and actually only 3 games existing woth sub and playing is Rift. However after returning after half year my old servers were again transformed into "test servers". And nobody was around. I still like game, engine, idea, unique goodies inside, ... but I'm afraid player base have dropped a lot. I have been following forums and had impression all is going in positive way. However is true now in summer in all games players drops so I hope will be more when expansion comes to life.

There is no question Rift has had a major decline in subs, and a lot of people are in denial about it. Its not in any danger remotely of 'dying' either, but unless Storm Legion reverses the 16 month downward trend they are definitely going to have to augment their revenue somehow if they want to keep the patch pace up.

Of course, pretty much every game has gone downhill in that same time frame. I don't know of a single game, besides maybe EvE, that hasnt lost a good chunk of its player base in the last 18 months. Hell for all the talk about WoW losing subs, its probably lost the lowest % of any game (again maybe besides EvE).

One thing about Rift...its the only game I can think of that has so many short term subscribers. MMORPGs tend to have long term retention power. People play the game for years without getting bored. Rift has so many people that say they love the game, but arent actively subbed this short into the games life span. And this was happening long before GW2 or even SWTOR, so its not like its a competition thing. Its a game issue.

• AlyvianAlyvian Member Posts: 342

its a genre issue*

all new mmo's seem to have very low retentions.

Originally posted by Alyvian

its a genre issue*

all new mmo's seem to have very low retentions.

Thats because all new MMOs lack the virtual world feel of games like EQ or even WoW.  Its a game issue thats become widespread across the genre, but its still a game issue.  

• GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894
    @teakbois Players also have a lot more choice in what MMO to play. Back in 2004 you had EQ, WoW, FFXI, DAoC and a few fringe MMOs. This lack of choice helped with retention. How many AAA MMOs have we had in the last 12 months alone? SW:TOR, TSW, TERA, GW2 (later this month). So while I don't disagree that Azeroth is more immersive than Telara I think all the choices play a huge factor too.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,825
    Good to see that mentoring, the old buddy system from CoH has not become a note in MMO history. So few MMO's after CoH used it, like so many great MMO ideas it seemed consigned to the dustbin.