Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Too Hard , I'm done .. :(

Comments

• MaitraderMaitrader Member UncommonPosts: 389
    Originally posted by Gravarg

you aren't mashing the buttons fast enough. you have to do 111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111 to make 5 builder attacks, then 2222222222222222222222222222222 to get finisher off :)

lol if thats the way you played the game, I would have eaten you alive :P I hvae 7 moves, and I use all  7 buttons. oh well, guess the whole 7 actives and 7 passives was a bit too complicated for you. Sorry to see that, and yet.... not really lol

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Originally posted by c-mot

i have mixed feelings about TSW. the quests are sometimes fun but most of the time its tedious and boring to fight your way to the quest items thru tons of mobs, that spawn just in time to give you the same experience on your way back out.

of course its rewarding when you finish a hard quest. but most of the time its the kind of "thank god its over" feeling of release for me.

could be my deck (AR/blood) where i can fight/heal thru nearly all content solo (hardly ever get below 80% health), but the combat with this is very boring (button mashing at its best 121314121314...) - and each fight lasts long. i just started a new build with pistol/fist with the hope to get a somewhat more dynamic combat.

i had way more fun in GW2 because i found the quests/events itself were fun to participate and i enjoyed the combat much more (...and i died way more in GW2 than in TSW).

in the end its a question of personal taste i guess.

It is just personal taste, I agree.  I hate cartoon fantasy settings they are almost a gamebreaker at this point. 

Do you all want WoW/diablo length fights solo?  Shut your eyes and AoE through everything??  People and their tastes confuse me.  They say they want one thing (5 second fights) but then they praise difficulty...wha?

At least admit that you do have to watch where you are going in this game.  That's not nice to have to pay a little bit of attention?  Not sure if you have to watch where you are going in the other game, but it seems to be going the right difficulty direction as well.

Another guy said there was nothing to discover in this game huh?  I loved the exploration in the first Egypt zone on the rooftops and also other parts of the game.  I didn't think it would be possible to fit this many little areas in relatively small zones.  So much attention to little details setting wise.  I really think some people have really missed the boat on this game.  I thought is was kinda dull the first two zones as well, but with Blue Mountain this game started to come into it's own.

The only legit complaints I see from people at this point with TSW would be that money isn't very useful and it is a fairly content lite themepark.  But the time it does take to fill out the skill wheel is a hell of a good time if you pay attention to detail along the way.

• nycplayboy78nycplayboy78 Member UncommonPosts: 212
    Originally posted by Kyleran

LOL, I know what you mean, sometimes I'm actually screaming at the computer with rage as I die yet again. (the cat goes running and hides)  image

And this is a good thing.  No, seriously, I've gotten so complacent with these facerolling MMO's that I can play with only partial attention and still succeed.  It feels good to be challenged again, and I actually get a sense of accomplishment when I pull off yet another quest marked Hard or Very Hard, even if it requires cooperating with other players to make it happen. 

In fact, I realize I'm going to have to work on improving my socialization and friend making skills if I want to smooth my way in this title, at times the content really is too much for a solo player, though sometimes you just need to take some time and rerun the current tier to get your gear up to snuff.

Case in point, there was this one timed quest, where I had to kill 13 zombies in like 10 minutes.  I failed it like 3 times in a row, I just couldn't keep myself healthy enough during the fights, with regen time I kept falling short by 1 or 2 kills.

So I went out and did more quests in the zone and got all of my gear up to QL 6 (was previously a blend of 4, 5 and a couple of 6's) and then went back and retried the quest and ocmpleted it the first time with almost 2 minutes to spare. (proving when solo, gear really can help)

Oh no don't yell at your kitteh :)

• OSF8759OSF8759 Member Posts: 284

Punishing people into grouping is bad design.

Rewarding people into grouping is good design.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by OSF8759

you aren't pushed to group you ARE pushed to have a more open mind about the skill wheel and realise not all builds work well for soloing in all areas.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• LaromussLaromuss Member UncommonPosts: 331
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

you aren't pushed to group you ARE pushed to have a more open mind about the skill wheel and realise not all builds work well for soloing in all areas.

Agreed I forgot to mention that even though i didn't change my build very much mostly cause I was lazy and the gear management was broken but there were some areas in Egypt that made fighting very difficult and in some areas of the besieged farmlands.   I had 10.4k hp, fulll purple gear and was still getting pounded by the mobs which was due to my build was very dependant on hinder effects I built most of my procs on damage, etc to proc off it.  But since a lot of the mobs are resistant to hinder my build was pretty usesless and it became a hammer spam fest to kill them.  

Once I changed my build a little by removing my dependance on hinder to just plain old hits and weakness procs then they just started dropping like flies but I only did this once the gear manager was working better. 

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Laross

Agreed I forgot to mention that even though i didn't change my build very much mostly cause I was lazy and the gear management was broken but there were some areas in Egypt that made fighting very difficult and in some areas of the besieged farmlands.   I had 10.4k hp, fulll purple gear and was still getting pounded by the mobs which was due to my build was very dependant on hinder effects I built most of my procs on damage, etc to proc off it.  But since a lot of the mobs are resistant to hinder my build was pretty usesless and it became a hammer spam fest to kill them.  

Once I changed my build a little by removing my dependance on hinder to just plain old hits and weakness procs then they just started dropping like flies but I only did this once the gear manager was working better. 

it's similar to Rift as in Rift you had a ton of options with souls but not every combo did well for soloing. Sure I probably could of soloed with any combo but it would of been slow, frustrating, and incredibly hard. Same concept applies here.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• andypandyrandypandyr Member UncommonPosts: 89
    Originally posted by Vinterkrig
    Originally posted by andypandyr

There I've said it .. I dont mind a challenge but as a mostly solo play its just becoming frustrating .. dont know my arse from my Elbow call me a wimp ot whatever but bring back normal leveling for me .

I've gone back to Lotro , as I have a life sub and really enjoying it  :-) Not sure if to get GW2 tho ..

You win the first person in the past 10 years to say a MMO is too difficult award!

Well I've played every other Mmo ever made practically and never had a problem with any of them ( Except EQ1 was ocassionally difficult and dont get me started about EVE ! lol ).

I think I kind of regretting this Thread title , maybe should have called it  " Too Frustrating .. I'm Done " instead !

When can I pick that award btw ? :p

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059

At first I enjoyed the “challenge” of play but overtime it became tedious instead. There were a few quests that made me want to rage at the time required to solve them by hand (Dead Air for example.) I will admit that a few like the Black House, the Men in Black Vans, and in particular this one quest I forget the name of in Egypt in the ruins where you had to adjust crystals and pray at statues, REALLY ticked me off by being bugged when I had done the right thing already only to spend hours to prove I could do it when the objective didn’t trip before finding out. O.O

It upset me enough that I found myself just using the in game browser to look up walk-throughs rather than spending the time on something that might be bugged anyway. I wasn’t happy with that outcome but my real feeling was that if I invest all my free time in something I at least want to feel like I make some degree of PROGRESS. It started to seep the fun away. I know they’ve been patching but that was how it was when I was playing.

I came to dread combat in that while my leech healing, blood magic-ing, Illuminati healer almost never died in on level encounters it took forever to finish off the kinds of mobs I would aggro. I just wanted to see the next part of the mission story already...

I won’t touch PVP as it might open the wrong can of worms. It’s not that it's bad I just think it was PVP made for PVE player gear grinding and reward when I wanted to be rewarded for being the pwn u boat and hear the lamentations of my enimies women and all that sometimes. ;) I was just logging into Fusang for tokens and then getting out.

As much as I admire some of the story work and environments, like you OP, I guess I found playing it too hard and perhaps too tedious for too little reward. That doesn’t mean I think it’s a bad game though even if I had to acknowledge that it wasn’t the game for me. So don’t feel bad.

• Originally posted by Ambros123
    Originally posted by gestalt11

I've made it well into transylvania almost entirely solo and the whole experience was normal difficulty for me.  Comparable killing speed to a game like LOTRO fine on survivability.

*shrug*

yea really its about the build.. a lot don't like to hear this because they feel they should be able to play any build they want solo. Which I can kinda see since funcom sold the "play your way" marketing but you really need to pick a build that does well at soloing for the area you are in. If you do this you will have no issues with most content solo.

And so like many have forcasted cookiecutter builds will evolve.  Now it is more forced if one wants to do something.

Dungeons should provide the challenge while questing shoudln't within reason.  Vanilla WoW had it pretty well where there are certain areas one does not venture alone while other blatenly designated area were for groups.

An MMO should be fun and not some gruesome experience as apparently some are experiencing.

Yeah there will be cookie cutter builds and it will be more extreme than say Guild Wars 2 turns out to be.

BUT

You need to be conversant with a number of different builds or you will never defeat nightmare mobs.  That's a big "but".

Originally posted by biggarfoot
    [mod edit]

I think maybe you have some issues you need to address ?

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    [mod edit]

You have to appreciate the irony of how unsocialable his post was, yes?

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018

@OP well hello there Mr

"Hi I'm an MMO player that thinks all content should be soloable, I'm not happy that a game designed to allow people to play together has content I cannot do alone, therefore as I cannot do this content I quit!"

The concept of a group, party, playing with other people, in a game designed to allow people to do just that? Hmmm, that's a tough one isn't it?

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990
    Kind of amazing how many feel the urge to flame the OP simply because he found the game difficult.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by Skuz

@OP well hello there Mr

"Hi I'm an MMO player that thinks all content should be soloable, I'm not happy that a game designed to allow people to play together has content I cannot do alone, therefore as I cannot do this content I quit!"

The concept of a group, party, playing with other people, in a game designed to allow people to do just that? Hmmm, that's a tough one isn't it?

Pfft....don't kid yourself, TSW is designed to be soloable, especially in the Savage Coast where the OP was having difficulty, if you were grouping up to complete it you were doing it wrong.

Real men solo !!! image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• RoyalPhunkRoyalPhunk Member UncommonPosts: 174

Has nothing to do with being a casual gamer of a hardcore gamer, this game was designed to be challenging and requires a good gamer vs bad (or patient vs lazy)

The game is not too hard in general it is too hard for bad lazy gamers. Its a niche game and they do not need "the masses"

• ChingoChingo Member UncommonPosts: 128

As many people have said, it's all about picking a feasible build or two. There is no need for super-builds in the game although a bad build will make life miserable especially later on.

As an example, I just finished the storyline with essentially two cookie-cutter builds (I have also others I'm experimenting with but which I'm not using so much while going through content): 

Most of the content has been a breeze (although sometimes slow) with very few occasions where I needed to tweak these e.g. by adding a tad more HP talismans or where I probably would have gotten stuck without a random co-player to group with (these mostly in Transylvania). 

Now, if I did not happen to pick up Yokai's build through reading TSW forums I very well could have ended up with a bad build of my own invention (I have been slacking from theorycrafting at least so far) I would most likely have had piles of problems going through the content. With that in mind, I can very well understand especially those who are not reading forums/wikis/blogs and picking up such helpful things or are otherwise uninterested in figuring things out themselves what comes to gear/builds.

Still have almost half of Transylvania guests to go through and now is the time for me to start tweaking things (including doing something about being one/two-shot in PvP:)

One thing I've noticed that having some self-heals makes life so much easier in soloing PvE. While I've tried builds without much healing but lots of dps and hp/defence, groups of mobs get me down real easy. Then if you don't have good dps/synergies in your build it just makes fights take longer but at least you'll be alive at the end of them.

Finally, with these cookie-cutter builds I'm constantly running into situations where I just make it through fights. For me this is a good thing and makes the game even more interesting than it would be if I were able to face-roll mobs.

Originally posted by Kyleran
    [mod edit]

You have to appreciate the irony of how unsocialable his post was, yes?

Yes I did :-) .. Would also love to know why he thinks that someone who enjoys solo play would be a Parasite ? ..

Originally posted by Skuz

@OP well hello there Mr

Yes its not hard to read properly either is it * I said " Mostly " solo ;)

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641
    Originally posted by Wickedjelly
    Kind of amazing how many feel the urge to flame the OP simply because he found the game difficult.

Yeah.  Welcome to MMORPG.com.  We shoot our lame, young, and those that simply think differently than we do.  We are a friendly happy community.  Enjoy your stay.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

I'm actually going to play over this free weekend and take on board some of the advice that has been posted in this thread and try a different Build.

The Build I was having difficulty with was a Blade / Elemental deck and I was working towards Ninja.

I have created a new character and have chosen  Fists  to start and want to work towards a Dps/Heal build .

Anyone got a good tip for what second weapon I should use that would be good to achieve this ?

• BjelarBjelar Member UncommonPosts: 398

I'm actually going to play over this free weekend and take on board some of the advice that has been posted in this thread and try a different Build.

The Build I was having difficulty with was a Blade / Elemental deck and I was working towards Ninja.

I have created a new character and have chosen  Fists  to start and want to work towards a Dps/Heal build .

Anyone got a good tip for what second weapon I should use that would be good to achieve this ?

Blood is nice, always useful to have a barrier up. Blood also have some nice damage later on. In adition to that, blood goes well with almost any other weapon, so it will stay useful even if you swap your fists for some other weapon later. I'm pretty happy with my fist/blood char, and he is really fun to play :)

• matcatmatcat Member UncommonPosts: 136

The build I used to do most of the quest content (In Carpathian Fangs now) was almost straight Fist for quite a while for actives, with some blood passives.  I started off following the Wu deck, then switched it up a bit.  Right now, I use...

Actives: Bloodshot, Claw, Tear 'Em Up, Surgical Steel, Gore, Cagefight, and Savage.

Passives: Sharp Claws, Salt in the Wound, Thicker Than Water, Predator, Molecular Exploitation, Adrenalise, Bloodsport

It seems to do ok.  I also sometimes use a penetration based which basically swaps out...Claw with Prey on the Weak, Sharp Claws with Dark Potency, and Thicker Than Water with Iron Maiden.

Working on swapping out Bloodshot maybe and using Blaze and Aedolon to see how it does.  Not all the way there yet with it.

Both seem pretty close in dps.  Not saying this build is the best, it's just what I came up with and works for me.  There were a couple quests I changed a little bit.  Recently on one or two listed as HARD, I had to use my basic dps setup with my heal set gear to pass it.  Took a while, but doable.  Just as a note, I haven't had to go back and redo any content using this to get more ap and pretty smooth going through.  So yeah, started with Wu deck and changed a bit from there.

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    So let me get this straight.... people complain that games are too solo friendly and not encouraging grouping... then people complain that games are too hard to solo and that they shouldn't have to group.... man... sounds so fun to be a delevoper....
  • UsualSuspectUsualSuspect Member UncommonPosts: 1,243
    Originally posted by Crazy_Stick

I came to dread combat in that while my leech healing, blood magic-ing, Illuminati healer almost never died in on level encounters it took forever to finish off the kinds of mobs I would aggro. I just wanted to see the next part of the mission story already...

I just wanted to point this out, as it's what people have been saying through the thread. So, you have a leech healing, blood magic healer and you're soloing. So... Who are you healing? Yourself. Then why build yourself as a healer if you're only healing yourself?

Leeching comes from Assault Rifles, so switch out everything but Anima Shot for self healing, throw on some DPS abilities, add some Blood affliction abilities, switch out the healing talismans for attack/to hit talismans, and voila. You're healing yourself and your DPS is massively improved. Need to team up and heal? Switch it all back again.

Now how hard is that? Why quit and cry over something you can fix in a couple of minutes? You're not playing a solid class in The Secret World, you're playing whatever you design your character to be.