Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Monthly Update is it worth $15?

Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
Now that the first monthly update is in operation  I'm wondering if the new content gives a months worth of playing or what sort of timespan it will take to cover the new content ....is the new content worth 15$ this month?

Comments

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991
    Originally posted by Baddogbill
    Now that the first monthly update is in operation  I'm wondering if the new content gives a months worth of playing or what sort of timespan it will take to cover the new content ....is the new content worth 15$ this month?

This might be a good topic for a poll.

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

• rav500rav500 Member Posts: 46
    My answer i Yes. The update contained 7 HUGE missions and a couple of NM-versions of dungeons. If all the coming updates are as juicy as this was, I'd say it's worth the sub
  • Goll25Goll25 Member UncommonPosts: 187
    honestly if a game updates monthly, that is the only way to justify a subscription fee too me. Unlike say WoW for example which updates maybe every 4-6 months+. 
  • Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    Originally posted by Goll25
    honestly if a game updates monthly, that is the only way to justify a subscription fee too me. Unlike say WoW for example which updates maybe every 4-6 months+. 

I agree monthly updates justifies a subscription ...future updates and maintenance costs don't

• ParameterParameter Member Posts: 56
    Unfortunately, I don't think so.  I played the game start to finish, and when I got to end game, I realized that the exact same thing happened to me that occurred in SW:TOR.  The game was absolutely amazing up until end game.  It is the same old gear/point grind as every other themepark MMO, albeit with awful pvp and elitist LFG channel.  I felt this game was going to hold me for a very long time to come, and I didn;t even make it into my 2nd month.  Sucks :(
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    for me its better than swtor overall and I love star wars(the IP not the game) so it pains me to say that. But it still has a lot of glaring issues. I put my sub on hold till they get sorted out and ill probably return one day.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• BigRock411BigRock411 Member Posts: 299
    Originally posted by Parameter
    Unfortunately, I don't think so.  I played the game start to finish, and when I got to end game, I realized that the exact same thing happened to me that occurred in SW:TOR.  The game was absolutely amazing up until end game.  It is the same old gear/point grind as every other themepark MMO, albeit with awful pvp and elitist LFG channel.  I felt this game was going to hold me for a very long time to come, and I didn;t even make it into my 2nd month.  Sucks :(

The difference for me is that TSW's version of ilum works and the endgame dungeons are actually fun.

Some people have recently decided that mass pvp sucks and they dont like the no class thing since it requires slight thought to remedy pvp issues your having, i dont blame this on the game however.  PVP has been fun, it does miss a flagship battleground with uniqueness like huttball though...probably my most favorite reincarnation of CTF ive yet to play, bioware got that one right...the rest of the pvp in swtor sucked mechanically and ilum was possibly the largest flop ive seen in terms of great ideas, and i think ilum fail was based on the game engine they used on top of the game being unable to turn off others skill animation stacked with a needlessly busy scenery with way too much going on to strain all but the very best rigs.

I can understand if you dislike TSW's endgame if you hate having to do something for gear, new game comming out will let you do them just to do them, and i can understand disliking the mobil and specific need mechanics with boss fights, not all will like that...i find its more engaging that most games boss fights and no boring trash to clear for 45 min between encounters.

PVP i get people wont like the easy to identify class mechanics..nor do i expect people to take the time to figure out why they are not doing well or how to counter a build that seems OP...ive seemed to figure it out and im not all that smart so i think its just being lazy or people thinking that whatever build they cobble together should work fairly against all other builds.

The mass pvp hate thats a new one, year ago everyone was clammoring for it, and people seem just fine with it in other games, games that use the same exact pvp-rule-mechanics.

To stay on track...this months update wasnt worth $15 by any stretch, but no games give out free content the first month and  plan on keeping that pace...i saw it as a gesture...a good faith patch...personally i dont care though if they do the standard content every year in a huge patch or trickle it in every month though.  Next month seems to have planned a lot more compared to this patch...we will see though...rather them get stuff right than rush it to prove a point.

• matcatmatcat Member UncommonPosts: 136
    Well I had full intentions of continuing to play.  I had just completed all the quests available in the game once and tried a couple of the elite dungeons last night.  On each dungeon, we ran into some pretty serious bugs that kept forcing us to kill ourselves and try it again and hope it didn't bug.  Nothing to be done about it on our end.  On the second dungeon we were on the last boss and we tried 7 times to kill him.  And each time he ran out of the battle area where you are locked in with some type of pathing issues or something.  We had someone stay outside to see what he was doing and he ran through a wall and disappeared.  So, with that, I'm all set with it for now.  Having completed all the regular content, and finding myself at that point where it looks like I'd constantly be fighting against the game and bugs like this that pop up, I cancelled.  It's too bad as I was going to play it at least another month, but I'm simply not going to deal with that.
  • rdrakkenrdrakken Member Posts: 426

It isnt really a question if the first months update is worth the sub, its a matter if each update can hold a continual pattern of new content and Funcom has a history of not being able to keep up and allows their monthly content to drop off down to near nothing. They tried it with both AO and AoC for a time before giving up.

Basically, if people are already depending on monthly updates to stay subbed after such a short time...this game has serious content issues.

• Preacher26Preacher26 Member UncommonPosts: 381

Before bringing in new missions they should have fixed the ones that are bugged and need GM assistance to complete.

Before adding new NM versions they should have fixed the ones already in-game ( a couple consistantly bug out).

And quickly add incentives for holding the capture points in Fusang, the cap swapping going on now is horrible. Just like the keep swapping in WAR. ALWAYS have incentives for defending... the fac buffs are not enough, obviously.

Ide say it was worth the purchase simply for the single player storyline but not worth subbing past the free 30 days, imho.

• BhorzoBhorzo Member Posts: 192

Almost, but no.

I mean... there's maybe 10 hours of questing (15 if you're slow I suppose), and 2 nightmare dungeons (aka recycled "hard mode").

If you like the end-game gear grind, then perhaps it is worth it, but if you mainly like to quest, then probably not.

This is all assuming that you've already "finished the game". On it's own, it's not that much content. If you're half-way through the game right now - on the other hand - it'll probably be another month or 2 before you "finish"... and by then you'll probably have 2-3 monthly content updates, which will probably give you some extra things to do when you do reach "end game".

But if they do similar updates in the future, then I can certainly see myself unsubbing - and the resubbing - on and off for a couple months at a time. In comparison to a game like WOW, these updates are HUGE! But in comparison to a $10 Steam sale game, it's not that much. Really depends on the person though.

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

As others have said, monthly updates are the only thing that make paying a subscription seem worthwhile to me, but sadly to keep up with the speed I was able to manage content they would have to release as much content as about 1/3 of the original game to keep me subscribing throughout the year.

I have every intention of revisiting the Secret World, but if this month's update is reflective of what will be added monthly then I can only see subscribing about 4 months out of the year.

• zoddenzodden Member UncommonPosts: 80
    I would say yes. I spent that much today on lunch which took about 45 min. For myself I see me playing this for the next 6-8 months of fairly casual play before I get bored. It's been a long time since I have been able to say that about any MMO. ToR didn't even last 2 months for me.
  • tkoreapertkoreaper Member UncommonPosts: 412

I still have a long way to go to progress my character so yes, it's worth it... But I also already bought my lifetime sub. The reason behind purchasing the lifetime sub is that I strongly feel that I will still be playing it in a year... A year's worth of regular subbing equals the lifetime sub, so why not?

People act as if $15 is a lot of money... It's not... especially for entertainment. Look how much it costs to go watch a 2 hour movie and that's not even counting popcorn and drinks. If $15 a month is such a hassle for you then go on down to your local plasma center and donate plasma... some pay as much as $75 a week.

• waxmaskwaxmask Member UncommonPosts: 55
    Originally posted by rav500
    My answer i Yes. The update contained 7 HUGE missions and a couple of NM-versions of dungeons. If all the coming updates are as juicy as this was, I'd say it's worth the sub

Stop lying m8. Nothing HUGE about those missions at all. I did them in 2 days, others even in half a day. Nothing HUGE about it! They weren't even as good as the "vanilla"ones only more tedious (Morse code, cyphering anyone?)  And almost all were Investigatin which aren't repeatable. So do tell me? Are you a fanboi? Or a FC employee?

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

Depends on the way you play. If you are just bashing ESC through the content, reading walkthroughs for the investigations and not spending a minute reading/listening to the story it's definately not worth your 15$'s.

This said if you enjoy cracking the investigations and spending time with the lore the game is definately worth the monthlies.

Best way to play TSW is the lifetime and playing it every now and then especially when new content hits. The lifetime is quite expensive though if you are not enjoying the game ;J

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

If I had played every mission in the game and had all the dungeons on farming status as some people do, then I would say no, the monthly update alone would not be worth my $15, at least not without a clear roadmap of about when they expect to add new areas.

However, taking into account the entire game, and the fact that I'm less than halfway trough the zones in the game in the first place, I'd say it's more than worth my $15.. :)

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

Ask a 100 people, and you will probably get 90 different answers.  The answer is rather simple.  What are you willing to pay for.    Most games that charge a subscription fee, don't maintain that aggressive of an update plan, and many ppl are willing to pay.  Are you??

For me, I enjoy the game enough that I am willing to pay.  I personally, don't think they will be able to keep it up, because having that schedule seems very ambitious to me.  However, I'm ok, if they miss some.  If you are of a type that is going to hold them to this very rigidly to justify a subscription fee, I would wait a few months to see how well they do at it.

I self identify as a monkey.

• George271George271 Member Posts: 7

I think it depends a lot on your playstyle and how much you play.

If you play very casually you can probably enjoy the game for a few months.  Maybe longer.

But if you play a lot I am guessing you will run out of content fast and resubbing will not make much sense.

I see so much bashing and hyping of games here.  Everybody has to have an opinion and their opinion has to be right.  The only opinion that should matter here is your own opinion.  If you found a game you like and enjoy logging in and playing.  Then thats great.  If its not for you and you believe it lacks content or has flaws there is nothing wrong with that either.

There are few MMOs I have played where there is not something to like.  The worst you can do here is lose $15.  If your having fun and you like a game I would keep playing it and subbing until you lose that desire. 

• BigCountryBigCountry Member Posts: 478
    Play/sub it until the content runs out. All depends on how much you play it I guess. I am still in Blue Mountain lol

BigCountry | Head Hunters | www.wefarmpeople.com

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

The $15 subscription is for access to the service, which to me is well worth it.  It's not DLC, the update came as a part of the service.

There were other P2P games out there that did not put out any content, and still charged $15.  Were they charging for nothing?  No, they were also charging for a service.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• ThemePorkThemePork Member Posts: 312

99% of 1.1 was bug fixes. I hate to break it to you guys but TSW is still in beta.

The new content is 7 new quests and 2 already existing dungeons getting a nightmare mode, hardly a month's worth of content...oh and a half assed AH that's bugged to death.

I trust though that when they do eventually fix all the bugs (knowing funcom this might take years) they'll have more time to work on delivering worthwhile monthly content.

• grapevinegrapevine Member UncommonPosts: 1,927
    Its more content than what Blizzard has pushed out in the past eight months, and more to come in a few weeks.   So yeah, compared to other games, its worth it.
  • GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235
    I,ll play it through later, the way I figure it, is that I'll get a more polished game and 12 months of extra content for the price of a box (and a 14 day trial too probably).  
  • asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788

Historically, subscription fees for MMO's have always been for access to the servers, including the costs of keeping them running.  They were attractive way back when, because people were getting tired of "metered" access to internet, ala 90's dial up plans.  There is nothing in the sub contract that even implies monthly content updates.

You make me like charity