Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will mmorpg.com reverse it's opinion and action now?

Now that the SW:TOR review here was proven yet again to be gross editorial misconduct [ http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/367/view/reviews/load/178/The-Official-SWTOR-Review.html ], even by EA's actions, aside from the massively-multiplayer community descent, will there be a retraction about its' 9/10 score for its massively-multiplayer features and 10/10 for value by you, in addition to how you demonized mmo enthusiasts that smartly recognized the failure this game was before it launched?

Comments

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

Again with the butt-hurt posters?

Move along, this is not the site you were looking for.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• sammandarsammandar Member Posts: 523
    Originally posted by Breitbart

Now that the SW:TOR review here was proven yet again to be gross editorial misconduct [ http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/367/view/reviews/load/178/The-Official-SWTOR-Review.html ], even by EA's actions, aside from the massively-multiplayer community descent, will there be a retraction about its' 9/10 score for its massively-multiplayer features and 10/10 for value by you, in addition to how you demonized mmo enthusiasts that smartly recognized the failure this game was before it launched?

Gross editorial misconduct is a serious charge. You may very well disagree with their assessment of the game, but to claim gross misconduct is a whole different matter. I certainly disagreed with their ratings, but it doesn't mean I think they excercised gross misconduct.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

The writer of the Review still stand by his words, and MMORPG.com says the reviews are subjective, so no, they won't change the score.

Reading MikeB review, I really can't get past the Longevity Score and relative comment.

Everyone that played a real MMO guessed that SWTOR was going to be a 2 month love affair, how could the reviewer got that so wrong is beyond me.

Worse, they did the same with TSW review, they gave the game an high score in Longevity, when it is obvious that like SWTOR, TSW is going to be another "2 month wonder"

Anyway OP, do not take MMORPG.com reviews too seriously, they have families to feed and servers to pay for................also every game site and magazine does that, it is common practice, it is not an exclusive of this site.

And it is not going to change, so get used to it.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    This again. I am continually amazed at the amount of petty-ness that is displayed daily on this board.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• WinterizerWinterizer Member Posts: 65
    Originally posted by Breitbart

Nah why would they, the review was from January 6:th. At that time the game was 10/10 with lots of action and tons of players. It was later on players discovered the lack of content past 50 and fled the game.

The review is fine as it is
  • Tensor25Tensor25 Member Posts: 70

Is this thread for real?

It's quite sad that this what keeps you up at night

• kantseemekantseeme Member Posts: 709

Some people rely on sites like this for honest reviews of games. Taking mmorpg.com score into consideration for purchase of these games.

I know there is a responsibility on the consumers part to do research of the product there interested in buying, but coming to sites like this and reading reviews by those that have influence, to me is part of the research.

So those reviewing and scoring these games DO have a responsibility to its community to have an unbiased opinion of each game they review and give an honest score. And it was very clear that there scores were either based on personal opinion or financial compensation. Either way it wasn't unbiased.

And i dont think that just because its become common practice to do buissness this way, we as consumers should "get use to it" Its wrong on every level. This sort of thing can be found in just about every aspect of daily life. From the coffie you buy the the canidate you want to vote for.

I would also like to add that the reviwer might have only played the game for a short time and givin his/her review. The person wrighting a rewiew of a game should have spent an ample time with it to give it a just review.

• AllSeeingGuyAllSeeingGuy Member Posts: 143
    Originally posted by ste2000

Anyway OP, do not take MMORPG.com reviews too seriously, they have families to feed and servers to pay for................also every game site and magazine does that, it is common practice, it is not an exclusive of this site.

And it is not going to change, so get used to it.

So what you are saying is that they are biased reviews based off of money?

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350
    Sorry but i don't find that swtor review to be a very honest one and the game should be re-reviewed.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by Istavaan
    Sorry but i don't find that swtor review to be a very honest one and the game should be re-reviewed.

They intend to re-review it when it goes F2P this fall.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• WinterizerWinterizer Member Posts: 65
    Originally posted by Istavaan

Since 1.2 and 1.3 made the game alot better a new review could only end up with a higher score :P
  • Paragus1Paragus1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,741
    The game will be rereviewed automatically as it is the policy of the staff to do so every year I think.   I seriously doubt they will back track on this particular review.  There is a reason why a lot of people have little confidence of this site's official reviews and this case is a prime example.   Unfortunately in the case of TOR, its not an mmorpg.com specific problem.   The gaming media as a whole seriously failed to do its job in this case.   High scores for longevity when this thing is bleeding out faster than a wounded animal, and high scrores for graphics when there were no hi-res textures even in the game should be reason enough that all of the gaming media has their collective foot in their mouths.
  • WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309
    Originally posted by kantseeme

Some people rely on sites like this for honest reviews of games. Taking mmorpg.com score into consideration for purchase of these games.

I know there is a responsibility on the consumers part to do research of the product there interested in buying, but coming to sites like this and reading reviews by those that have influence, to me is part of the research.

So those reviewing and scoring these games DO have a responsibility to its community to have an unbiased opinion of each game they review and give an honest score. And it was very clear that there scores were either based on personal opinion or financial compensation. Either way it wasn't unbiased.

And i dont think that just because its become common practice to do buissness this way, we as consumers should "get use to it" Its wrong on every level. This sort of thing can be found in just about every aspect of daily life. From the coffie you buy the the canidate you want to vote for.

I would also like to add that the reviwer might have only played the game for a short time and givin his/her review. The person wrighting a rewiew of a game should have spent an ample time with it to give it a just review.

Over the years, I've learned which reviewers to go by (trust) and which ones not too. The criteria? Play the games and see which reviewers scored the game the same way I would have. It's all opinion. Nothing more, nothing less.

My tastes don't line up with everyone, so when I find people who's tastes are similar to mine, I tend to trust them moreso than those with differing tastes.

Someone who says a game is crap is no more wrong than someone who says a game is gold. Different tastes lead to different opinions.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Dah dum dah dum, another day in the swtor forum.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912

This is not the place to discuss editorial policy. There's even a thread that MikeB allowed to keep open criticizing his work here, so that's open and available.

However, our editorial department is completely separate from the one handling our ad sales. And if you have suggestions or feedback about policy, please head to the stickied thread in the Site Suggestions forum to express them.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

This discussion has been closed.