Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FORUM EXPERIMENT: Do You Play This MMO?

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Hey guys,

I'd like to do a forum experiment on some of our most trafficked forums. This will be simple and straightforward. Below, you'll find a set of basic questions that I'd like you to answer (copy and paste the questions as is into your reply, retain all formatting, do not add anything). This isn't a discussion thread, so responding to other users' responses is not allowed. These posts will be removed.

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?:

Do you currently play this game?:

If yes, please explain why:

If no, please explain why:

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?:

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?

Thanks for your responses! Remember, please just copy the above questions and answer them straightforwardly if you'd like to participate in this.

If you are going to participate, please remember to answer all questions.

Comments

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by MikeB

Hey guys,

I'd like to do a forum experiment on some of our most trafficked forums. This will be simple and straightforward. Below, you'll find a set of basic questions that I'd like you to answer (copy and paste the questions as is into your reply, retain all formatting, do not add anything). This isn't a discussion thread, so responding to other users' responses is not allowed. These posts will be removed.

Of course it's Star Wars + Bioware what self respecting geek wouldn't be

no

Been said a million times but game to me feels nothing like what a star wars game should feel like from the combat to the planets to well just about everything. It's extremly linear in focus and planet design , way to story driven for an MMO, they took both the STARS and the WARS out of Star Wars how can you not be dissapointed?
    What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?:
     TSW sort of.. good atmosphere, interesting skill system, modern setting
    Why compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?
     it's STAR WARS. My favorite IP if there was another star wars MMO i'd be playing that if it was decent but since there isn't  i like to talk about what went wrong with this one for me
    Thanks for your responses! Remember, please just copy the above questions and answer them straightforwardly if you'd like to participate in this.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

It was star wars i wanted it to replace my memories of swg

No

If yes, please explain why: n/A

If no, please explain why: I played this in beta, bio ware did not listen to what needed to be fixed.  This game going free toplay is not going to fix what the problem is and that is not enough content and it is boring at end game. Now that I am not in the middle of a raid zone let me go on.  I paid for a 6 month sub.  I played for 3 months.  This game is so shallow it is not funny.  After you raise your alts there is nothing to do other than daily grind and or raid.  With 50% of the operations, and the flash-points bugged you just finally go you know what this is not worth paying for.  I quit the game because (1) it felt like a hoped up version of kotor with multiplayer accents.  (2) the game was two shallow.  (3) now it is going free to play, I am going to sit back and watch.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?:  tsw and eq2

Why compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do? To talk about what is wrong with the game and to see if they will turn it around and to agree and disagree with the others and what we all post or not.  After all these are forums and that is what we do share our opinions.

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Please answer all questions and retain the original formatting of the questions for easier readability.

Thanks!

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

Hey guys,

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?:  slightly and then completely not.

Do you currently play this game?:  no

If no, please explain why:  I am not a fan of LA, excessive storyline is not what I'm looking for in an MMO.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?:  Aion

Why compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do? I usually only post in these forums to offset the haters, or if its a comparison thread, or I'm really bored.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?: Yes, I am Sci-fi fan and there is nothing on the market right now that is interesting.

Do you currently play this game?:  Yes

If yes, please explain why: This game was greated for me and it is just perfect for my style of play.

I play right now only SWTOR, I played before EQ2, LOTRO, AoC, Rift. I am not playing any of these games right now and don't intend to.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?

Some things I like about SWTOR

1. Excellent story, conversation choices are sometimes so funny that I lagh laud LOL.

2. Character creation, though could be better, no question, but neverless you can create a character that looks great and makes you attached to it. I love all my characters, each of them has a look matching their personality :)

3. Companions - one of the best feature of the game imo. Each is different and some you really like, some you really hate LOL. The romance options is great...

4. Planets... each is different. I love city planets. Nar Shaddaa is breathtaking, Corellia is just great. I like all planets. Each one is different and has something unique.

5. Music. I absolutely love music on Balmorra. I think it's one of the best ever. I can spend days and days there just to listen to it.

6. Flashpoints. I love the stories. It's not the usual dungeon instance where you go kill trash and couple bosses, and that's it. Each FP is different and you have to face moral (good/evil) choices... 

7. Classes... I love every class in this game. Each of them is different and plays different. Each one has different mechanics. The acombat animations are awesome imo.

8. Lightsablers... no other MMO have them.

9. Star ships. Much prefer then house, well it is sort of a house /grin. Agent and sith ships are awesome.

Did not try operations yet.

I am altoholic and this game is perfect for me. I am playing on 2 servers, have 8 - Empire characters, and 8 Republic characters.

I played EQ2 for 7 years, was in raiding guild. EQ2 is a great game, but after playing SWTOR I just can't make myselt even to log there, even though I have 7 characters level 90 there LOL.

Played LOTRO for 4 years. Same, it just does not feel the same.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• ZooceZooce Member Posts: 586

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?:  No, I was enjoying Rift at the time.

Do you currently play this game?:  No.

If no, please explain why:  Game looked like a WoW clone being sold on the Star Wars appeal, and I was already playing a WoW clone.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?:  Awaiting GW2, because I enjoy the PvE, PvP, and crafting.

Why compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?  I rarely post here.  Of the two times I posted they were both commenting on topics regarding SWTOR's failure.  I also commented about an awesome swtor trailer parody that was linked here last night, but you deleted that thread so I won't count that one.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
          No I do not currently play SWTOR, but I will try it once it goes f2p...THe reason why I didn't try it at launch was that I have no interest in paying a 60 dollar box price then a sub also......
  • KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

Yes. I liked KOTOR and the DA series from Bioware. Not a huge Star Wars fan in general but saw some potential.

No

Played in the beta and knew that it would be a great game to pick up and go through the story once. If it didn't have a subscription I would have bought it. Now that they are dropping the subscription I will play it.

No MMOs right now.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?

Don't post too much in these forums. Some of the conversations in these forums are interesting though because this is one of the biggest falls from grace MMOs in recent history.

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308

Hey guys,

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?: Was somewhat interested. Have a flirtatious relationship with sci fi. Haven't been able to locate a solid one to TRY and get into.

Do you currently play this game?: No

If no, please explain why: Beta tester friend warned of unsatisfying gameplay. Multiple youtube videos later, could only agree.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?: Guild Wars currently, catching up HOM stuff. Great game, really wish i found out about it earlier.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do? If there is only SWTOR SWTOR SWTOR on the front page, I come to watch the fights. Entertaining. Can't speak for others, but i think the truth is, like with the news at 7 lol, everyone loves to hear bad news. Compare Rant/Rave topics and get a new view of the 1% lol, the ones that say they appreciate a game and such.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

Absolutly excited. I canceled my WoW account when it released

Not really

see below

Well, My sub expires this month (August). I've only logged in a couple times and one of those times was to do the free server transfer. I think at the moment I'm "taking a break", but the F2P option will get a lot of playtime from me.

Wow - Curently doing the Ironman Challenge. 

I don't post on this forum much. Too much hate here.

• jeremyjodesjeremyjodes Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 679

Hey guys,

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?:  I hated the idea of the game being a themepark. So i waited for more information and decided to buy it and try it.

Do you currently play this game?: Not Anymore.

If no, please explain why:  I found the game to be very linear in almost every way. mechanics were buggy, to many loading screens, limited options with character creation. limited options for PVP, PVE took a hit from PVP team wanting to balance tank DPS. Healing nerfs for no viable reason. lack of support on the forums. development team used canned responses with players questions. never gave us a road map for the direction of the game. outstanding bugs from before launch plagued the game still. to much down time and "patching". it copied Wow with class abilities, yet failed to add a viable LFG tool. Guilds had no options or way to earn achievments. planets were linear no real exploration. exhaustion zones were numerous and close to citys. quest had no real purpose outside of class story. no viable 3rd faction for dark jedi or light side sith. BH and smuggler could not hunt players or smugglers well, couldn't smuggle for empire or republic. broken scenes in the class quest, various glitches.. for example , lady zash with her lightsaber on during class cinematics. companions have bugs as well. lightsaber still on with certain companions. lack of viable robes that would work for both sith and jedi. missing heads on companiosn with certain gear. Very un starwarsy gear for both factions more like gwar. quinn would not heal and many of the companions abilities fired much to late. major terrain glitches on open planets. some you could fall through. visible seams on tatooine terrain. legacy system had huge credit cost associated with it. server lag on fleet, various sound glitches, being stuck in mount mode while walking for 30 minutes or more. new LFG you were not teleported back to your origin you had to go all the way back to were you were last. crafting was un-viable due to various gear vendors. you never seen the opposing faction, and if you did it was rare. planets had 2 versions for each faction you never seen each other unless it a neutral planet. hidden areas that flagged you when approaching opposite faction vendors.
    No way to change your advanced class. biochem was nerfed, one time use on med pack per fight. high cost of removing mods from armor/weapons. gem vendor nulled artifice crafters and the sales of gems. player ship had no functionality due to cost of legacy prices. no day and night cycle. planets were like mazes. you got stuck allot trying to explore. you got put randomly into PVP while in que. you played allot of huttball. GTN was wonky, no player events but one in many months. ranked PVP was pulled many players left. forums had over zealous fans or the hater. good view points were few and far between. terrible forum moderation. we got all our information from third party news sites about changes to the game or word of mouth or rumor.

I had written down at least 125 more thing's I found...but this should be enough.
    Legacy system 
    What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?: None right now was in last GW2 beta and had a blast.

Why compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do? Just bored and I love reading those who are more learned then I and seeing some of the opinions and different views about gaming.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    no, not a starwars fan

no, no interest in the games lore

EQ2, because its a fun themepark for me

I rarely post here unless its to debate mmos in general (not just TOR) / EA press releases

• OldManFunkOldManFunk Member Posts: 894

Yes, it's Star Wars! I was a kid when the original movie came out. I played the other Star Wars MMO for a bit and liked it but thought it could be done better. I heard this Star Wars MMO was going to be way better because they listened to fans and were ready to deliver on what they really wanted.

No.

I did some research and found features like gear based PvP that don't interest me.

GW2 (in beta).

I lost interest in SWTOR so fast that I even lost interest in posting in its forums. I don't think SWTOR will ever be the kind of game that I'd be willing to play and so don't have much reason to read or post in its forums.

• william0532william0532 Member Posts: 251

I was all over this game from announcement. It was starwars, I knew it would have space(disappointed),  it was sci fi, I loved the idea of exploring alien worlds, strange cultures and killing them(disappointed here cause of breadcrumbing/linear planets). It was bioware, figured the story would be epic(to be honest, I don't really get to mad that the stories where pretty bland, its pretty hard to keep a compelling story in an mmo that tries to stretch the story well past thin to make it take longer). Something about starwars made me think about epic wars like the movies(gave me the idea of planetside 2's massive wars, or guildwars 2's keeps, but more important I had some fancy of DAoC battles happening(got warzones, which is ok when I want to stroke the epeen, but they get so dull)

No, I quit logging in during my free period time.

1. story-I bet it would be good if it was shorter and there where more of them, the main story gets dragged out, and the shorter ones(like planet quests, are too segmented and badly implemented)

2. space-nothing I can say here that hasn't been said before got starfox/wanted jtl/battlefront2 hybrid

3. Bioware somehow made the most extreme planets boring(this was accomplished by breadcrumbing and lack of difficulty on the planets) I think they could have avoided this, by having most planets start from the starport at level 10 and get more difficult as you move farthur away, creating reasons to visit planets more than once. Also, theres very minimal depths and vertical feeling to the planets(corascant is flat, with horizonantal decorations to look at, but you don't feel like your in a massive city planet)

4. PVP- I guess I wanted more epic reasons to work on a large scale team and not just warzones. I do enjoy arena/warzone small group play, but there just has to be a larger thing to tackle.

5. Socializing-I know, you  don't need something to do to make friends, but I like it when theres things for guilds to work for(guild halls, or the best capital ship, or domination guild vs guild battles ect ect, tor didnt even have a guild bank)

6. I wan't to list alot more, but I'm getting tired, so I apologize.

I've dorked around with the gw2 betas(not sold yet, but the pvp will get me by for a couple months), TSW has peeked my interest with adult themed missions(TOR left me feel like I was playing a game made for a pg 13 rating), planetside 2's massive battles give me wood.

Unfortunately, they are all missing so much of what each one has, none of them really feel like a long term fix. You would think some developer would spend like 200 million to make a game with a great story, great pvp, and all the fixings.....

Oddly enough, I was so caught up in the pre launch hopes, that they still linger, like I hope they will add those things I've touched on into the game so I can go back and never feel like when I have one or three hours to play theres nothing to do. Simply put, I have hope for the future of the game. There super secret space project gives me hope for the future. I hate fantasy, I need a damn good sci fi mmo.

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365

Yes, I do not usually play sci-fi but as a member of a very large guild I could not help but join all my friends.  I did the same with SWG and enjoyed my time there so I hoped if this had any similarity I could enjoy it.  

No

N/A

I hate linear gameplay.  This is the most linear game I have played since Super Mario Brothers.  And due to warp tunnels in Super Mario Bros, SWTOR actually seems more linear.  I enjoy PvP but this game offers a less robust PvP experience than existing games in the genre (many which are sub par in this area in my opinion to begin with).  The story is fantasitc but I would have preferred it in movie form.

Age of Conan - simply because i don't see anything being offered right now that i feel is worth spending money on.  i am very casually playing AOC because it is free and i like the graphics and gameplay somewhat.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do?

I post in topics that are active that interest me.  I do not often search out posts in any particular sub-forum. 

• General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868

Hey guys,

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?: Yes, Im a huge starwars fan ... I liked what Bioware did with KOTOR and I played SWG for 5 years

If yes, please explain why: N/A

If no, please explain why:Iv Even though Iv already accepted that it wasnt going to be SWG.. it didnt feel like the starwars world to me.. illum was depressing

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?: DayZ, Darkfall... Well these games are just to hold me over until Planetside, Guildwars 2 and Repop come out

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do? Im hoping for change image

• EmeraqEmeraq Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

Yes, Bioware games are known for good story.
    Yes
    If yes, please explain why: I understood what the game was going to be, Bioware was honest with us up front, told us it was going to be heavy on Story, instances and voice overs. They also told us it would follow the WoW model.. So, I had no reason to be pissed off when the game wasn't what people really already knew it wasn't going to be. I'm also a casual gamer, I don't rush to max level, I take my time and enjoy the game for what it is, basically a multiplayer KOTOR. 

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?: Rift, LOTRO, SWTOR, GW and soon to be GW2... I'm in it for story/Lore.. I don't really care for PvP.

What compels you to post in this particular subforum as frequently (or infrequently) as you do? I don't post a whole lot, i read a lot of threads here but don't say anything unless I think it's worth saying.

• OberholzerOberholzer Member Posts: 498

I was interested, I like to learn about new games coming out.

No.

I learned enough about the game to know the format of it didn't really interest me.

None, am going to give GW2 a go wghen released.

If a topic interests me I will chime in.

• Afro-ThunderAfro-Thunder Member UncommonPosts: 86

Yes, very much so. I was playing SWG at the time it was announced and was looking forward to what I felt Bioware could do with the IP. I hoped it would be much better than SWG.

No.

N/A

Linear gameplay; space on rails; end game gear grind; dailies and general repeating the same content over and over; no meaningful crafting; nothing to "collect" and nowhere to display them; too much time to travel; too much instancing; dead feeling game world; no incentive to pvp other than grinding gear; no meaningful open world pvp; horrible gear art; cookie cutter classes; stupid high credit cost for everything in game.

Based on the above, the game was just not worth the sub and my time. Do not confuse this as me saying I wanted f2p. If the above things would have been fixed, I would have happily paid a sub for this game.

None

I don't post much. I lurk here to see what others think about the game.

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

Main reason is Im a Star Wars fan.

Second reason, and just as important as the 1st: A lot of the choices that we are allowed to make are sometimes very dark when it comes to the Sith. And even for the "good guys" there are sometimes a very dark shade of grey to choose from. It feels more adult than say WoW, which is very G-rated in terms of content and story.

Yes, and no. 

Im still currently subscribed, but I havent logged into the game in over a month. Ive gotten readdicted to Skyrim. Lots of great mods released for that game in the last few months.

But I should also explaine that I dont consume my MMO's like Im staving and its a feast. I really do enjoy taking my time playing the game. I almost hardly ever raid or run dungeons repeatedly.

Just SWTOR. Although GW2 has caught my eye, which is suprising since I utterly dispised GW1.

Infrequently

Honestly I'd post more, but there is such a childish reaction by certain memebers of this community who just have to post over and over how much they hate the game, that its disruptive. Reporting them for not contributing to the thread, and/or staying on topic, or even trolling goes unpunished, and has lead me to take my discussions to other forums and websites.

This subforum (*ahm, website*) is not a good place for fans to discuss games with other fans. Especially if its the hate-game of the moment.

Im not complaining about TOR hate threads in this forum, thats fine, I just ignore them.

Its just the haters cant do the same in return, and are more or less allowed to run amoke, unpunished.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

Yes. For the story. I longed for a KotOR 3, and if they deliver it, even with some mmo-ish flavor added, it's good for me.

No.

I think the story part is great, but I felt it's a rip-off to charge a monthly fee for a singleplayer game. (btw: It was a nice column, Mike :) ) Now that they go to f2p, I plan to continue and play through the other storylines as well. Maybe a few Heroics occasionally with friends. Then it goes on the shelf, next to the two KotORs. No offence, it simply didn't grabbed me as an mmo...

LotRO, STO, sometimes a bit of AoC. All of them for the lore. (while I'm not a full-fledged trekkie, Tolkien and Howard... yep, fan here)

I rarely post, and only when the topic seems interesting. So there's no such thing as this particular subforum for me, I think this is my first post here. 

• WhySoShortWhySoShort Member Posts: 315

Were you interested in this game before it came out? Why? Why not?: I was, because I'm a casual Star Wars and a harcore online gamer.

If no, please explain why: I was in a blocked region at release and I don't think it's worth 60 bucks to get involved in a new MMO when a certain game is coming out in a month.

What MMOs are you currently playing and why do you play these particular titles?: Path of Exile. It's not really an MMO, but it is listen on the site. I'm mainly playing it because I support indie devs and I like action rpgs and online games.

I rarely use this subforum. I haven't posted here since the "Punished for not going linear" forum fiasco 7 months ago. As I've never played the game I don't like to take sides in the sometimes vitriolic debates that take place about its merits (or lack thereof).

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Yes, I figured 'Star Wars IP' + Bioware was going to be a surefire hit.

No

It was linear and very 'vanilla' - go get this, bring me 6 spleens, kill 10 dudes, etc.

Couldn't leave the first zone until I completed what they wanted me to complete.

Wasn't allowed to have my ship until jumping through all the prerequisite quest hoops.

Combat, while neat at first, got very repetitive and old. Half the skills I had were diabled unless I did some tuck and roll maneuver ahead of time

The characters looked all the same and character graphics were glitchy.

Storyline choices didn't seem to matter - they served only as a way to possibly screw up dark/light rep

My pet was allowed to gather and craft but I wasn't.

It felt - UI, voiceovers and gameplay - like a cheap knockoff of Mass Effect 2.

Ultima Online - Diversity of choices. Fim sim/virtual world style gameplay.

EVE Online - trading and market side of the game is fun

Nothing. I use Recent forum posts to find threads. Never browsed directly to a SWTOR forum.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• spaniard81spaniard81 Member Posts: 59

Hey guys,

Yes, I missed out on SWG, so I didn't want to miss out on SWTOR. Star Wars + Bioware + EA money, it was supposed to be the perfect equation to the ultimate game!
    No

I quit 2 weeks after the game was released. Poor graphics, horrible gameplay. did not like the style of the game, and little details count (no swimming!!)
     WOW, been playing for many years now. GW2 (betas & upon release), great game overall, looking forward to playing it.
     I like to keep in touch with the gaming world.

• OhMyGothOhMyGoth Member UncommonPosts: 56

Yes i was because it reminded me of Kotor and i loved that game.

Nope, i did play in the beta's though.

Currently not playing, but plan to when it goes F2P

Didn't feel it was worth the sub at the time.

Currently playing Guild Wars, working on my Hall Of Monuments points. Love this game, probably one of the best i have played so far.

I'm not big on posting, only when i really feel it's needed.