Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Opinion--GW2 or TSW

1234568»

Comments

• c-motc-mot Member UncommonPosts: 51
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

Two main question for me:

1) How is grouping & story handled in TSW & GW2?

Instances? LFD tools? Or group mainly through chat channels .. or public quest that you stumbled onto?

2) How is the combat feel in both games?

-- any specific information will be helpful.

grouping in TSW (for instanced dungeons) is like any other MMO out there. spam the chat (no group finder tool) with looking for tank/healer until you find someone. endgame content tends to have elitist approach (need to have xxx skills/stats to be invited in certain groups).

grouping in normal game for questing is a bit tricky as you run into solo instances now and then.

grouping in GW2 is needed for the instanced dungeons (need to wait til level 30 to do the first one) - there are no healers/tanks/dd's, so group building is easier.

in normal game mode you dont need groups but you nearly never play alone. all the events and heart quests are designed for "open groups" - the more people there are, the harder the event will become (more mobs, better AI and bosses). all your support skills are designed for this system. you cannot target a friendly player (so no target based heals/debuffing etc.) - all support skills are area based, so it doesnt matter if someone is in your group or not he will profit from your healing/debuffing/buffing when he is near.

i prefer the GW2 combat. i like the weapon changing and the combination of my skills with other players (like an elementalist throws in a firewall and all my arrows fired thru this wall will receive some additional fire damage).

the skill system in TSW is great (though a lot of the skills are just fillers and not very useful). the combat itself is not that good. the builder / user system lets you mash the keyboard constantly with always the same combinations.

as combat is a big part of both games its always good when you like it (its my biggest poblem with TSW).

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356
    Originally posted by Magnum2103

For comparison's sake 

You forgot to add that TSW has much better graphics, better sound, much better storyline, more interesting and creative quests, better voice overs, more fun dungeons, better lore, better built world.

Actually the only thing where GW2 was better for me is PvP. And not by far

• ChtugaChtuga Member UncommonPosts: 116

Very easy choice for me.

TSW all the way

I am tired of elfs and orcs and all the other fantasy stuff that developers love to put in the game.

TSW is refreshing as it has a modern setting, with lots of real life stuff to relate to and learn. Especially with the investigation quests.

My predictment is that GW will sell alot, be hugely successfull for 1-2 months then not so much.

TSW will keep rising up and be a thing people will play for years to come.

TSW caters to an older audience, while GW2 reaches for the younger.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by c-mot
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

Two main question for me:

1) How is grouping & story handled in TSW & GW2?

Instances? LFD tools? Or group mainly through chat channels .. or public quest that you stumbled onto?

2) How is the combat feel in both games?

-- any specific information will be helpful.

grouping in TSW (for instanced dungeons) is like any other MMO out there. spam the chat (no group finder tool) with looking for tank/healer until you find someone. endgame content tends to have elitist approach (need to have xxx skills/stats to be invited in certain groups).

grouping in normal game for questing is a bit tricky as you run into solo instances now and then.

grouping in GW2 is needed for the instanced dungeons (need to wait til level 30 to do the first one) - there are no healers/tanks/dd's, so group building is easier.

in normal game mode you dont need groups but you nearly never play alone. all the events and heart quests are designed for "open groups" - the more people there are, the harder the event will become (more mobs, better AI and bosses). all your support skills are designed for this system. you cannot target a friendly player (so no target based heals/debuffing etc.) - all support skills are area based, so it doesnt matter if someone is in your group or not he will profit from your healing/debuffing/buffing when he is near.

i prefer the GW2 combat. i like the weapon changing and the combination of my skills with other players (like an elementalist throws in a firewall and all my arrows fired thru this wall will receive some additional fire damage).

the skill system in TSW is great (though a lot of the skills are just fillers and not very useful). the combat itself is not that good. the builder / user system lets you mash the keyboard constantly with always the same combinations.

as combat is a big part of both games its always good when you like it (its my biggest poblem with TSW).

Thanks for the info.

• CromicaCromica Member UncommonPosts: 657
    Originally posted by mindw0rk
    Originally posted by Magnum2103

For comparison's sake 

You forgot to add that TSW has much better graphics, better sound, much better storyline, more interesting and creative quests, better voice overs, more fun dungeons, better lore, better built world.

Actually the only thing where GW2 was better for me is PvP. And not by far

Thats funny the only thing I enjoyed about TSW was uninstalling it because it was no where near as good as GW2

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Second biggest turn off is the GW2 community.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • CromicaCromica Member UncommonPosts: 657
    Originally posted by bcbully

You are right how dare people be excited to play a good mmo after all the crap that has been released in the last 6 yrs

• grimm6thgrimm6th Member Posts: 973

I have a honest question for you.

By community, do you mean:

1. The fans on this site, and sites like it.
    2. The people you interact with in game.
    If 1, grow up.  Forums attract hot-heads.  Forums attract HYPERBOLIC statements and polarize groups with differing opinions. GW2 fans...well, you can't really argue with us.  We like GW2.  Debates are fine though.

If 2, then you must love games where people act like jerks to each other.  Something like LoL might be to your tastes.  The GW2 community, after you get in the game, is pretty good, but I guess it is all subjective...

I used to TL;DR, but then I took a bullet point to the footnote.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by grimm6th

If 1, grow up.  Forums attract hot-heads.  Forums attract HYPERBOLIC statements and polarize groups with differing opinions. GW2 fans...well, you can't really argue with us.  We like GW2.  Debates are fine though.

If 2, then you must love games where people act like jerks to each other.  Something like LoL might be to your tastes.

So I can't win huh? Either I need to grow up, or I just like Ahats... ;)

I mean the community on this site and sites like it. Not everyone ofcourse but as a whole they can be down right hateful towards anything that is not GW2. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

I'm not going to tell you which game to play, I'll just tell you some dynamics that I know.

TSW has a fair few avid supporters, and I will give credit to Funcom for being able to add some attractive points to the standard design. However, the contrast to that is that it's the standard design with some attractive points added. The gameplay (from my limited understanding) is not keeping alot of people entertained for the long haul. They are advocating monthly content updates, and this is looking like it's absolutely critical for it's continued success.  I'm not going to bother bashing it with anything, those are both sides to two coins.  TSW also has a box price + sub fee + cash shop revenue model

GW2 has done alot to take it away from the standard design by adding dynamic event chains, removing competition between players for resources and mobs, created multiple avenues of play, and scrapped the reliance on the trinity.  This also makes GW2 an unusual game to become accustomed to.  There is no undeniable proof of the sustainability of GW2 as it hasn't been released, however the WvWvW portion of the game has been met with a large percentage of satisfied PvP'rs, which may imply a longer player retention once PvE content is finished.  I would like to add a downside to that statement but I really can't find one.  GW2 has a B2P + cash shop revenue model.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by grimm6th

If 2, then you must love games where people act like jerks to each other.  Something like LoL might be to your tastes.

So I can't win huh? Either I need to grow up, or I just like Ahats... ;)

I mean the community on this site and sites like it. Not everyone ofcourse but as a whole they can be down right hateful towards anything that is not GW2. 

You kinda just proved his point.

Nowhere in his post did he mention the word 'winning'. It's not a competition. Like he said, GW2 fans like what they like, but are not opposed to debates. Hell, there's pleanty of threads debating certain aspects of GW2. It's not as black and white as 'all things bad about gw2 = flamed'. That's just not the case.

As for ingame, I can't really think of a game with a better community. People are overall very helpful, the elitism in GW2 (ingame) is at a minimum. I mean, in most games where I've asked for help, I can expect to get at least one 'lol nub!' with an actually helpful response. In gw2, it's usually at least 3-4 helpful responses. This is not to say that there aren't asshats in GW2, but they seem to be far more minimalized compared to other games (including TSW). I have my theories as to why this is, but that's an entirely different topic.

TL;DR : In game GW2 has one of the best communities I've ever seen so far (and yes, I know beta communities is often different than launch). On forums, what I've noticed is generally this. On this site, most of the 'criticism' on GW2 is downright trolling. Very few use actual logic, or try to have an actual debate. It usually devolves into a half dozen people providing logical counter-points, all getting ignored by the OP in favor of bashing the GW2 community. On fan sites the GW2 community does tend to be more hostile, and tends to put up w/ trolls much less. However, those are fan sites. Expecting anything less form a fan site just seems fairly ignorant to me.

• BananaSoupBananaSoup Member UncommonPosts: 180
    Originally posted by shaderhacker

I have to chime in here on this topic!

I currently own TSW and I played the GW2 beta.  Here are my impressions of the GW2 beta:

* Intro is typical and short. -SINGLE PLAYER GAMES

* No voice-acting for sidequests. -SINGLE PLAYER GAMES

* Graphics are really dated. -SUBJECTIVE

* Shadow code is very unoptimized. I got like 20-28fps with "Ultra" shadows turned on. Putting them on "Low" gave me like 20fps more. Ouch. And the shadows aren't that impressive anyway. -SUBJECTIVE (game works very good on my old PC)

* Animation for walking is superb. Definitely better than TSW. Fight animation is too fast and snappy. I much rather prefer the many frames in TSW. I hate the special moves in GW2. They move too fast and it feels like a fighting game.

* Voice-acting is general is a mixed bag. Some quests have good voice-actors, whereas others like the Charr have bad voice-acting.

* The dynamic events aren't emotional enough. They feel truly random and tacked into the game. Everybody just goes and fights at the same time. Feels a LOT like Rift.

* Music is ok.

* UI is really well done and polished.

* Environments look pretty good.

* Quests are the same as any other MMO. Only the game walks you to waypoints to get them. -Simply not true. There are things to do that You have to find by exploring. I'd say that You can find a lot "by an accident" :P

* I dont' like how most people you talk to have the same sentence.

If you are looking for the same old tried and true MMORPG, then go with GW2.  You'll get a little bit of Rift, WoW and a few Tera in there.

If you want a game that's intriguing, best graphics to date (PERIOD), awesome NPCs and quests that you remember, and great PvE[and best singleplayer experience (better than TOR imho)]then go for TSW. -FIXED

-M

Generally, You pointed out things i'd expect from someone talking about some singleplayer rpg game :P

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    TSW over GW2 any time. 
  • ItarugaItaruga Member Posts: 38
    Friday August 3rd at 4pm GMT until the following Monday, anyone can create an account and log in to the game for free and play to their hearts content until, again, Monday. Give it a shot, the story and PVe, and dungeons are awesome. Do some reading and build guides research to help you get started :)
  • The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

It's amusing to notice that some of the people critisizing the GW2 community are those who already admitted several times that they won't buy the game, yet spend a lot of time on the GW2 forums on a "hate crusade" making negative posts. Some actually spend more time lately on the GW2 forums than posting on the forums of games they play to improve their community.

Pot calling the kettle black. Don't critic a community when you're big part of what lowers its quality.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• BlackbrrdBlackbrrd Member Posts: 811
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

It's amusing to notice that some of the people critisizing the GW2 community are those who already admitted several times that they won't buy the game, yet spend a lot of time on the GW2 forums on a "hate crusade" making negative posts. Some actually spend more time lately on the GW2 forums than posting on the forums of games they play to improve their community.

Pot calling the kettle black. Don't critic a community when you're big part of what lowers its quality.

Just like there were a lot of GW2 fanboys on the TSW forums? Two wrongs doesn't make it right though. ;)

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    Originally posted by Blackbrrd
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

Just like there were a lot of GW2 fanboys on the TSW forums? Two wrongs doesn't make it right though. ;)

Well, I don't do that, so I can comment without problems. And yes, two wrongs don't make one right, never. My point is, and that's true for all game specific forums, that if "some" people spent more time improving the community of THEIR game instead of being on a hate crusade on forums of other people's games, all communities would definitely be better.

You tried a game, don't like it? Fair enough. Make ONE post, detailed and well written (not "GW2 sux" or "TSW sux"), to explain why, and that's it, leave the damned forum. Repeating your griefs in every other thread for months after you decided not to buy is just wasting everybody's time, time which could be better used by participating in the community of a game you enjoy.

("you" is generic here, not you the poster I answer to)

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131

and this makes TSW better how?....I would think if someone really felt confident about the game they were playing they wouldn't worry to much about any other game .Strikes me funny that TSW folks would take time from their game to make multiple post in GW2 forms

• ItarugaItaruga Member Posts: 38
    You guys are going way off topic, stick to the damn topic and make suggestions for the opening poster, or shoo fly!