Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Range! ... Range!!!

WinterhoundWinterhound Member Posts: 66

Isn't anyone else bothered by this?

I absolutely need to know when an enemy is within range of my skill. It's really annoying to cast a skill and not hit because the enemy's out of range. .... The game used to tell you whether something's within range before, what the heck happened? Is there a setting I'm not seeing? Either a color/visual cue or at least distance indicator (e.g. 'xxx yards' on the enemy's health bar) will do. Without these, combat feel broken to me.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• PalmyCloudPalmyCloud Member Posts: 79
    Under the skill button there is a red number, once you are in range to your target it might be turning white, if I remember correctly. But I am not 100% sure^^
  • RedmantleRedmantle Member Posts: 25
    Not 100% positive, but I think your move on the screen, labeled with the 1,2,3,4,ect keys are red when targeted creature is out of range, and when in range the number turns white. Sorry if I am not clear enough right now, best way I can describe it for the moment. Hope it helps though.
  • AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940

Unless they removed it, there is already a small indicator, as in, if you are in range for a skill, the skill is white, if you are not in range for this particulat skill, it's red.

Is this what you were talking about with"used to", and they removed it, or is this the little something you did miss?

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• WinterhoundWinterhound Member Posts: 66
    Originally posted by PalmyCloud
    Under the skill button there is a red number, once you are in range to your target it might be turning white, if I remember correctly.

That's what I understood as well, but this wasn't the case in today's stress test. I hope it's only a temporary glitch and that red number will reappear.

Originally posted by Anireth

Unless they removed it, there is already a small indicator, as in, if you are in range for a skill, the skill is white, if you are not in range for this particulat skill, it's red.

Is this what you were talking about with"used to", and they removed it, or is this the little something you did miss?

It wasn't there in stress test today. I'm hoping it's a mistake that ArenaNet will fix by launch.

• friednietzfriednietz Member Posts: 118

Whenever a skill is in range, a small white bar appears under the skill. When it's out of range, the white bar dissappears.

Originally posted by friednietz

Whenever a skill is in range, a small white bar appears under the skill. When it's out of range, the white bar dissappears.

I thought that was what it was, I started to pay attention to it (the white bar), but then it didn't work out that way.... May be I wasn't paying attention enough.

• AericynAericyn Member UncommonPosts: 394

One thing I didn't like, and perhaps it was just beta related? Even when out of range it would let me use the skill. Putting it on cool down. Skill would fire I would see "out of range" and then 19, 18, 17... ugh.

Could have been lag too I guess?

I saw red/white on icons today for things in and out of range. Would really prefer the icons dim when out of range instead, as other games have done.

Tera's range feedback system was nice, if a bit immersion breaking.

• Serin101Serin101 Member Posts: 103
    Could be you turned on uh..i forget the name of the feature...smart-cast i think. I didn't have a problem with the range indicator.
  • WolfHaartWolfHaart Member UncommonPosts: 216
    Originally posted by Aericyn

One thing I didn't like, and perhaps it was just beta related? Even when out of range it would let me use the skill. Putting it on cool down. Skill would fire I would see "out of range" and then 19, 18, 17... ugh.

I saw red/white on icons today for things in and out of range. Would really prefer the icons dim when out of range instead, as other games have done.

As far as I know, whats been seen and told from way back, is that you can use your skills anytime, anywhere. Even when theres no enemies nearby.

• friednietzfriednietz Member Posts: 118
    ^ Personally, I think having the ability to fire all skills without a target is worth the recharge cost of a mistake or a misuse.
    Originally posted by Winterhound
    Originally posted by friednietz

I thought that was what it was, I started to pay attention to it (the white bar), but then it didn't work out that way.... May be I wasn't paying attention enough.

I can sympathize with that because it took me about 45 minutes to even notice it and its function.

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053
    Yeah they changed the indicator for ranged. As others have mentioned it is the little flat line underneath each skill. It will turn white if the target is within range. If it isn't in range it will be dark.
  • RoybeRoybe Member UncommonPosts: 420
    Originally posted by Aericyn

Nope this is a feature.  You can always use your skill, regardless if the current target is in range or not.

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530
    Range indicator on your skill bar T_T.
  • ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308

Haven't been able to check out any recent changes, so i might be way off base here, but wasn't ANET's desire to take folks attention away from the UI so they could, you know, pay attention to what enemies are doing or something?

Wouldn't changing the skills from white and red, respectively, to a little white line under the skill do just the opposite of that?

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    Originally posted by PalmyCloud
    Under the skill button there is a red number, once you are in range to your target it might be turning white, if I remember correctly. But I am not 100% sure^^

Ha! Never even noticed this before. Thanks.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

Originally posted by Toxia

?

Wouldn't changing the skills from white and red, respectively, to a little white line under the skill do just the opposite of that?

Yeah it kinda of does. I believe the developers are trying out different indicator systems. I'm willing to bet it will change again before launch as well.

Haven't been able to check out any recent changes, so i might be way off base here, but wasn't ANET's desire to take folks attention away from the UI so they could, you know, pay attention to what enemies are doing or something?

Amen!

This is exactly what I was thinking. .... Hm, may be Arena Net's trying to cater for the color blind?

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Isn't anyone else bothered by this?

I absolutely need to know when an enemy is within range of my skill. It's really annoying to cast a skill and not hit because the enemy's out of range. .... The game used to tell you whether something's within range before, what the heck happened? Is there a setting I'm not seeing? Either a color/visual cue or at least distance indicator (e.g. 'xxx yards' on the enemy's health bar) will do. Without these, combat feel broken to me.

Any thoughts?

The game does tell you if a target is out of range. It will:

1) Highlight your skill icons in red, indicating they won't connect.

2) Say "out of range!" in big red letters over the target whenever you attack.

3) For ground target skills the target icon will become bright red if it's out of range.

I'm not sure what else you really need tbh. A giant billboard?

For melee it should be pretty obvious. For all ranged attack you can cast the #1 skill to get a feel for range before laying down the cooldowns. Until you get a better idea of the range of your character, just look at the skill icons, or fire off a few test shots with the #1 ability until it connects. Pretty easy.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Amen!

This is exactly what I was thinking. .... Hm, may be Arena Net's trying to cater for the color blind?

You don't need to focus on the UI at all really. The exception being possibly cooldowns (which you can setup to be painfully obvious). I'd suggest using the #1 skill until you get a better feel for your class' skills. They give you pop up messages over your target whenever your skills are blocked, obstructed, evaded, miss, or are out of range.

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308
    Originally posted by aesperus

Amen!

You don't need to focus on the UI at all really. The exception being possibly cooldowns (which you can setup to be painfully obvious). I'd suggest using the #1 skill until you get a better feel for your class' skills. They give you pop up messages over your target whenever your skills are blocked, obstructed, evaded, miss, or are out of range.

Ranged attacks

Ranged attacks can be made from various ranges, typically ranging from as close as 300 unit range - 25 feet or 7.5 metres - of Lightning Whip, to longer than 1000 unit range of Long Range Shot, though no maximum range can be explicitly stated.

^quoted from Guild wars 2 wiki thing.

So, in short, I, for one, would need a very clear indicator of whether my target is within distance, since 'using the 1 skill' tells me absolutely nothing about the ranges of all my other skills! I'm sure they know what they are doing or trying out though, and hell, if the only problem i find with the game is the indicators, i'm already set....we shall see!

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• TalketzantoTalketzanto Member UncommonPosts: 205

Amen!

Ranged attacks

Ranged attacks can be made from various ranges, typically ranging from as close as 300 unit range - 25 feet or 7.5 metres - of Lightning Whip, to longer than 1000 unit range of Long Range Shot, though no maximum range can be explicitly stated.

So, in short, I, for one, would need a very clear indicator of whether my target is within distance, since 'using the 1 skill' tells me absolutely nothing about the ranges of all my other skills! I'm sure they know what they are doing or trying out though, and hell, if the only problem i find with the game is the indicators, i'm already set....we shall see!

From what i know, long bow and gun have a range of 1,200.....

But on the gun theres a shot called  (kill shot) which is  5,000 range....pretty insane

Originally posted by Talketzanto

Amen!

Ranged attacks

From what i know, long bow and gun have a range of 1,200.....

But on the gun theres a shot called  (kill shot) which is  5,000 range....pretty insane

Yeah that is the burst skill for a warriors rifle.

• bookworm438bookworm438 Member Posts: 647

For me, I just began getting a feel for distances and learning how far away I can be for my skills to go off. Eventually I rarely look at the indicators and just know I"m not in range for a certain skill.

Also, in most cases, the #1 skill is a good indicator. If you are within your number 1 skill's range, then the rest of your skills will most hit your target, provided they don't dodge it.