Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft subscriptions drop to 9.1 million

liliyoliliyo Member Posts: 43

" Today's Q2 2012 financial results call revealed World of Warcraft has approximately 9.1 million subscribers, as of June 30, 2012.In less than 2 years....12mil--->9.1mil

epic fail

Comments

• gasperkgasperk Member Posts: 84

Epic fail ? lol... not rly. still more then all other Mmos combined.... epic win.

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

I wouldn't call WoW having 9.1 million subs an epic fail.  I mean there are so many more "epic fail" moments...like Greece having to be bailed out by Germany.  THAT is a true epic fail.

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857
    WoW's biggest population gains have come in the months leading up to a major expansion. This time around, they instead lost 9.1 million. This is not good!

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• FurrballsFurrballs Member Posts: 30

This figure of 9 million players still seems very dodgy, they must be counting the 7 million asian players in cafes lol.

I just returned to wow for a look after a year away and my server has really died, its like 10% of what it was a year ago..

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    Originally posted by Souldrainer
    WoW's biggest population gains have come in the months leading up to a major expansion. This time around, they instead lost 9.1 million. This is not good!

This is factually false and makes no sense what-so-ever.

Just before an expansion launch is where the population dips the most.

People tend to buy the expansion and return to WoW. Not the other way around.

I wish to live in a world where a sub-based game that has 9.1 Million players is considered 'fail'.

It must be such a illogical place to live! ROFL!!

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

Until WoW has the normal 100-250k subs like almost all other MMOs call a success, noone can call it fail lol.  People on this site crack me up.

Edit: still has more subs than like every MMO COMBINED! lol

• XerithXerith Member Posts: 970

While it's still the most subbed to game atm and fair from a "fail", the fact that it lost 1.1 million subscribers since May is something I would not take lightly as a company. 

• RottsteinRottstein Member UncommonPosts: 66
    Originally posted by Xerith

While it's still the most subbed to game atm and fair from a "fail", the fact that it lost 1.1 million subscribers since May is something I would not take lightly as a company. 

I agree.  Especially since many folks are still in the stay for a year and we will give you Diablo for free phaze.  I did that for my sons account and he hasn't played wow in months.  He is 14 and bored with wow after about 5 years.

• sevitothsevitoth Member UncommonPosts: 375

I'm sure their subs will climb back up to 12 million again when MoP hits. I won't be one of them though.

Currently Playing: DAOC Uthgard

Previously Played: UO, DAOC, Shadowbane, AC2, SWG, Horizons, COX, WOW, EQ2, LOTRO, AOC, WAR, Vanguard, Rift, SWTOR, ESO, GW2.

• drakaenadrakaena Member UncommonPosts: 506

That 1.1 million they lost is likely twice as many as any other MMO's entire sub base. This game will never die, lol. In 20 years it'll probably be a browser game on FB and still played by the masses.

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980

Would be happy to own such a fail business for sure!

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919

Not related to the topic, I don't think, but I do wonder:

Is it possible for an MMO to spread itself too thin? As in, you start off as a niche, but in an attempt to broaden your palette to people, you sort of end up being a jack of most trades, screw-up of some, and master of none to the point that no one is satisfied?

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,547

still ruling the MMO world with subs.

Wonder how much it will go up with the new expansion.....

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• QuicklyScottQuicklyScott Member Posts: 433

Epic fail? that is still more than 50$ a second if I'm correct.

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857
    Originally posted by jpnz

I wish to live in a world where a sub-based game that has 9.1 Million players is considered 'fail'.

You're right... WoW never hit 12 million players before cata... and hey, Justin Bieber sells the most records, so he must be a great musician.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• adderVXIadderVXI Member UncommonPosts: 727

9.1 million, this must mean there going to go FTP soon!  Surely there losing money.....

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.

George Washington

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254
    Originally posted by liliyo

" Today's Q2 2012 financial results call revealed World of Warcraft has approximately 9.1 million subscribers, as of June 30, 2012.In less than 2 years....12mil--->9.1mil

epic fail

Yes, years from now we will look back and recall the epic failure that was WoW......

or we could continue living in the real world.

If WoW has truly peaked - it will still go down as the greatest success with the greatest influence to the genre yet to date.

But it is a long way down from the peak of Everest - thinking the story is over seems as shortsighted as your premise.

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    Originally posted by jpnz

You're right... WoW never hit 12 million players before cata... and hey, Justin Bieber sells the most records, so he must be a great musician.

Thanks for this.  It made me chuckle a bit.  :)

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • spaniard81spaniard81 Member Posts: 59

Having 9.1 million subs is not fail; having half of that is also not fail. However, losing 1 million subs in 3 months could be considered fail.

I don't think most people consider wow's sub pop dominance fail, what I think they are calling fail is the continuous decline in sub pop. Since WOW topped off at approx 12 mil, they have been constantly losing subs; many said that wow would level off at 10.3 mil, yet here we are, at 9.1 mil.

The most important thing is not how many more millions of players wow has over its competition, what is most important (and concerning) is the seemingly unstopable decline in sub pop. If MoP is not able to stop the bleeding, then I think it will be hard to deny that wow is in trouble (in trouble not because it has 9.1 mil subs, but because they can't stop the bleeding of subs).

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

They could lose all their subs tomorrow and WoW would still end up being the most successful video game in the history of video games.

• MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786

How many in NA.

People in asia paying about three fitty a month are counted, but very missleading. 

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

• Drekker17Drekker17 Member Posts: 296

*Yawn* this is certainly no epic fail, many games would love this (swotor). Unlike the previous this drop is expected, it happens at the end of every single expansion during the drought time...I expect MoP will bring it back over 10million maybe to 11, I'd be surprised if it goes 12mill though.

"Great minds talk about ideas, average minds talk about events, and small minds talk about people." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Americans used to roar like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security." -Norman Vincent Peale

• spaniard81spaniard81 Member Posts: 59
    Originally posted by Foomerang

They could lose all their subs tomorrow and WoW would still end up being the most successful video game in the history of video games.

If they lost all their subs, they would lose 99.9% of their revenue, tanking their stock value and most likely causing the layoffs of execs and hundreds of devs... how could that be considered successful?

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

Congratulations on your "victory"?

I guess watching games bleed subscriptions is supposed to be good...

• wrightstufwrightstuf Member UncommonPosts: 659

omg! well, there"s always the soup kitchens