Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What the hell just happened?!

WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699

If you asked me a week or so ago I would be telling how amazing and imersive this game is and how it seemed to have such limitless possibilities. Brilliant story lines, incredible character development, and a completely new genre breaking away from the endless "80% fantasy 20% Sci fi" games out there.

About a week ago I completed the full storyline and I thought to myself that was great! but at the same time I wanted more. I started running through Transylvania again, this time kinda rushing through the quests and finding a few new side missions along the way.

Now after my third play through of Transylvania I am like "what now". It is as if this game fell right off a cliff for me. I patiently awaited the 1.1 content patch and chewed through that content like another morphine injection only to be back at the bottom of this cliff... 

So now I start looking for other things to do... Instances? PvP? I thought to myself let me try the other aspects of the game only to reveal what was such a rich exciting game reduced to a (pick your) token grind fest... So now you really have no choice but to dedicate countless hours upon hours doing nothing but either PvP and/or instance running to get your tokens to buy your gear only to need more tokens to then upgrade the gear!

But wait don't you get decent gear along the way? Well yes and no... So you did all your instances on Expert level pretty much have a versatile set of Blues at this point... Now it's time for nightmare... /LFG "you need to be this spec", "your AR/HR (attack or heal rating) is to low" and all the usual elitist bullshit. Ok, so now you finally found a group and your off to do some nightmare only to find out that that nice epic drop you just got is not upgradable! See once you have all QL10 gear you are not done, Token gear can be upgraded to 10.3 (PvP) and 10.4 (PvE) and when you look at Token cost vs gear/upgrade kits (single use) you know you are in for some long ass grind.

The same is true with PvP... Do your battle grounds or Fusang Capture facility quest and let your tokens trickle in only to get 7-10 a clip only to find out you need 1000's of tokens to gear up.

Game companies wonder why they lose subs after 1-2 months. Man, I really enjoy this game and I am hoping for some staying power with regular updates but this sudden change in gameplay has really got me down.

What are your other Hobbies?

Gaming is Dirt Cheap compared to this...

Comments

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    That's theme parks for ya.they all last about a month out of the gate until they start running out of content.Then you must wait for content updates and xpacks.
  • KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

Unfortunately its how themeparks roll. It depends on developer generated content way too much and they generally don't have good pvp which is one alternative the other is a more streamlined approach to adding/changing content.

You will probably be called at fault by some once they read this so be ready for a lot of negativity coming your way.

• ZooceZooce Member Posts: 586

Same exact thing happened to me, third time repeating Transylvania the game just fell off hard.

• SorrowSorrow Member Posts: 1,195

Exactly what happened to me but did it about 2 weeks faster.. sad because it could be a great game.. gah so tired of saying that about every game.. could have been grrr

• WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699
    Originally posted by tank017
    That's theme parks for ya.they all last about a month out of the gate until they start running out of content.Then you must wait for content updates and xpacks.

Man I hear you, I am familiar with MMO's since their inception. The last few out the gate have been ridiculous, TOR, now TSW.... I mean they frontload you with all this tasty goodness with good storylines and great progession through the zones, only to have this ridiculously redundant gameplay.

Is this the MMO business model nowadays... Perhaps it's time for a new hobby... Hopefully GW2 will not be the same ol.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by Wighty

Man I hear you, I am familiar with MMO's since their inception. The last few out the gate have been ridiculous, TOR, now TSW.... I mean they frontload you with all this tasty goodness with good storylines and great progession through the zones, only to have this ridiculously redundant gameplay.

Is this the MMO business model nowadays... Perhaps it's time for a new hobby... Hopefully GW2 will not be the same ol.

If all you plan on doing is pve don't get your hopes up with GW2, it will proably be the same. I have a little bit of hope they use their streaming tech to put out new/changed DEs weekly but thats just me.

If you don't pvp then it might just end up the same as all the other themeparks.

I think part of the issue is we have gotten way better at playing games we now fly thru content, honestly the only solution is EQ style mega guild raid zones but seems no developers even wanna touch that

• GajariGajari Member Posts: 984

Without those dangling carrots there is no longevity whatseoever and you'd be pissed that there was LITERALLY nothing to do.   Of course they're gonna make the best gear in the game take a while to get, otherwise you'd have ZERO reason to log in between patches, rather than just very little reason. :p

• Airhead80Airhead80 Member Posts: 10

The second ride on a rollercoaster is never as fun as the first.

user
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

What's amazing is all the folks who expected anything else.  It is a standard theme park MMO, once you complete the main story content/leveling, you are supposed to enjoy grinding up your gear to higher levels until the next wave comes along.

Or pointlessly PVPing for the fun of it.

What, that's not working for you?  Now you understand why some of us bitch so much on these forums about wanting something different.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• rusrecrusrec Member UncommonPosts: 52

As the above poster said, thats kinda the deal with this type of game.  Its why I prefer sandbox games, but really ANY new game is like this at first.  GW2 will be the same way.  Its why we all play, addiction.  You got addicted, blew through all your stash in a week and now your strung out, dealer is out of stock and you have to wait till he resupplies.  If your previous games were WoW, EQ, EQ2, or AO then you had years of content and extra stuff developed over the lifespan of the game.  This game is barely over a month old, what on earth do you expect?  endless content and a never ending supply of additional material that grows faster than you can grind through it?  I find it really, really cool that they have put out a little extra stuff this early and promised monthly updates as it is.  Im pretty sure this is one of VERY few if any, that do that.  My advice is slow down, dont be in a hurry because the end is the end, unless you like dungeon/gear grinding or repeating quests.  I have started doing PvP recently and split time between Transylvania, PvP, and Elite/NM Dungeons making sure to chang eit up if I get frustrated or tired of that same thing.  If this doesnt help, then well see you next month for the next issue update.  Someday, maybe a year from now or so, there will be a new guy that tries it and by then there will be a ton of stuff and he'll look back at this post and wonder what the heck you were talking about....lol...take care, and happy hunting,

Rusrec aka Tornside.

• WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699
    Originally posted by Kuppa

If all you plan on doing is pve don't get your hopes up with GW2, it will proably be the same. I have a little bit of hope they use their streaming tech to put out new/changed DEs weekly but thats just me.

If you don't pvp then it might just end up the same as all the other themeparks.

I am actually a huge fan of PVP... Have been since UO, DAoC, Shadowbane, etc... Back then it seemed PvP was more than just people cycling cooldowns for tokens in some Battleground instanced environment (the abslute bane of MMO PvP)

Ridiculous to me is that we see the first 3 faction game since DAoC only to have it purely instanced.

I focused mainly on the PvE aspect of the game because it was so engaging and well the PvP was such... well crap. To be forced to grind that or some instance over and over is really just sad...

Originally posted by Airhead80

well put.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

OP if all you want is the story, I guess you might get bored. That's finite material there. Do you have a chronicle you could link?.

Did you do any of the nightmares? what % is your ability wheel? Have you ran through any of the lairs? How about the lore pieces in each zone. They have good stories. Are you theory crafter or a min maaxer? You know there are dps meter addons. Have you ran the nightmares? How about any of the achievemnets? Are you telling me that you did all the investigations w/o googling "TSW X" 3/18? Do you like to craft? TSW has the best crafting system in the business imo. How about pvp? It's pretty challenging jsut staying alive.

Idk OP if you don't want to do any of these things you might just be burnt out on mmos.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    Originally posted by Airhead80

lol noty sure how acurate this is, the first usually scares hell outta me or makes me sick, after than I have a blast

• cyress8cyress8 Member Posts: 832

You are doing it wrong, OP.  You should still be in BM or the Scorched Desert slowly enoying the story and taking multiple hours to finish a single mission.   Stop rushing through content at such a rapid pace.  :D 

BOOYAKA!

I am actually a huge fan of PVP... Have been since UO, DAoC, Shadowbane, etc... Back then it seemed PvP was more than just people cycling cooldowns for tokens in some Battleground instanced environment (the abslute bane of MMO PvP)

Ridiculous to me is that we see the first 3 faction game since DAoC only to have it purely instanced.

I focused mainly on the PvE aspect of the game because it was so engaging and well the PvP was such... well crap. To be forced to grind that or some instance over and over is really just sad...

I think we will see alot of this stuff in future updates, they've already announced their first raid dungeon.  Of course people will beat it in the first couple days and scream whats next....thats just how it goes.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

I don't play TSW. I have played themeparrk games :)

How is the community? Are you in a guild? If so, are there some guild activities that can help keep your interest? Is there anything that a player can do for other players in the game? Maybe hold a "mission race" for others and yourself? Can you go take over another factions area and hold it for a bit? Does drinking affect the players at all so one could sponsor drinking races through dangerous areas for fun? Is there anything that a player could do to create their own small (or large) events? Would other players (or you) even be interested in something like that?

Like I stated, I do not play and may be talking out of my arse. Maybe these kinds of things won't work. This is a symptom of themepark games where the only content is dev driven. Just thought I'd throw some ideas out and see if they are even feasible :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

Didn't the new patch add a ton of new content? I thought that this latest update was going to keep everyone happy for a month? 2 days into the month and already it's played out?

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• AtraxusAtraxus Member Posts: 18

The third time through Translyvania? Wow.....wife and I havent finished Egypt yet :P

UO beta, etc etc ---> present day.
    Currently in LOTRO while waiting for another DAOC to arrive!.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

I for once am so glad I didnt rush to cap, luckily for me I really have no time to play much, maybe 10 hrs a week, and absolutely enjoy every aspect (save crafting) so far.  I am only about 80% thru Savage Coast 1 month in, so maybe for a casual player this is a perfect game to dive into

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    Originally posted by cyress8

You are doing it wrong, OP.  You should still be in BM or the Scorched Desert slowly enoying the story and taking multiple hours to finish a single mission.   Stop rushing through content at such a rapid pace.  :D 

Yup, i'm just finishing up the Savage Coast lol..with the recent patch it added a couple more hours of content for that zone if you're not cheating.
  • ZooceZooce Member Posts: 586
    Originally posted by bcbully

TSW has the best crafting system in the business imo. 

I can't be the only one who finds this statement amusing.

• KothosesKothoses Member UncommonPosts: 921

What happened is you consumed the content you enjoyed and want more... this is a good sign, if there are enough people wanting more then you will get more.

However it wont come as quickly as you can consume it.

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350
    Originally posted by Sorrow

I think part of the issue is we have gotten way better at playing games we now fly thru content, honestly the only solution is EQ style mega guild raid zones but seems no developers even wanna touch that

Nope, the games have gotten easier and levels are easier to attain.