Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I have lost all hope!

LucioonLucioon Member UncommonPosts: 819

After viewing some of the posts on the ElderScrolls Online Forum, I have just lost all hope for this game.

Gamers are actually encouraging Zenimax to focus on Making an MMO in the Elder Scroll Setting, instead of Turning The Elder Scrolls into an MMO.

There is a huge difference between the two.

MMO in the Elder Scroll Setting is just that, its an standard MMO, with weapons and armors loot off crabs and deers and wolfs.

With every single regular MMO mechanic that we know of, only in the settings of the Elder Scroll Universe.

Elder Scrolls Into an MMO is quite different, they would keep the feelings of the realism that separates them from other MMO's, where the loot you get is the loot the NPC is carrying. Rats gives out Rat meat, Wolfs gives out Wolf meat. Weapons sizes would look real, and you can get jailed for killing innocent NPC or for stealing.

It just appears that all the players that are giving Zenimax ideas are encouraging them to create an MMO in the Elder Scroll Universe and I am extremely disappointed .

Especially a couple of the posts that asked Zenimax to make sure Trinity is turn to the max, its just scary that these are the posts that is on the official channels.

Development stages can be pushed back, if they need to they can go the Route of Final Fantasy XIV , go back to the beginning and reinvent the game from the ground up. It happened with FFXIV and it can happen with TESO. There is nothing stopping them, especially with the current situation with SWTOR, you lose more money when your game fails and then try to pick up the pieces then releasing an hyped game with the updates that everyone will be pleasantly surprised.

Mediocre beginnings that increases slowly  is better than a Huge beginning that keeps going down in a very short 3 month.

Life is a Maze, so make sure you bring your GPS incase you get lost in it.

Comments

• KorususKorusus Member UncommonPosts: 831

I would encourage you to ignore the official forums over at Bethesda.  Number one Bethesda completely ignores them, not even just a little bit, but completely.  Number two, there was a huge outrcy against the game in the first few days, the thing is most Elder Scrolls fans are just that....Elder Scrolls fans.  They aren't going to waste their time debating the merits of a game that is Elder Scrolls in name only.  There's mods to create and Skyrim DLC to worry about.

And I'll be honest, their forums don't exactly attract the best and the brightest.  You only need to peruse the first few threads to realize these are people that think nothing Zenimax touches can possibly ever be bad.  AKA kool-aid drinkers.

Wait until the real TES:O forums open, I think there will be better discussion then.  Then again, maybe not, I think this game is a 0 on most peoples radars.  There's nothing really to discuss....it's bad and the devs are insular and closed-off to discussion.

----------
    Life sucks, buy a helmet.

• RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

I would wait until we get some gameplay footage. It would be nice to see the game engine and their designs working on screen before we jump to conclusions.

• gasperkgasperk Member Posts: 84
    Originally posted by Wakygreek

I would wait until we get some gameplay footage. It would be nice to see the game engine and their designs working on screen before we jump to conclusions.

Yep. Atm not much if anything is known.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    Originally posted by gasperk

Tab target combat, 3rd person perspective.  That's enough for me to know gameplay won't be much like TES.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • travamarstravamars Member CommonPosts: 417

It's way to early to start complaining. From what i've read the game seems to be headed in the right direction but only time will tell.

• travamarstravamars Member CommonPosts: 417
    Originally posted by XAPGames

Tab target combat, 3rd person perspective.  That's enough for me to know gameplay won't be much like TES.

Considering TES has the worst combat (my opinion) of any game i've played that sounds like good news.

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788

What elder scrolls setting? The artstyle remind's me of elder scrolls in no way. It has those wierd cartoony pitched roof's and fluffy graphics that look more like wow than elder scrolls. The dev's themselves seem to be sabotaging the game ever interview. The only intereting thing they said was action combat, I'll wait and see...... 

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096
    Originally posted by Lucioon

After viewing some of the posts on the ElderScrolls Online Forum, I have just lost all hope for this game.

Gamers are actually encouraging Zenimax to focus on Making an MMO in the Elder Scroll Setting, instead of Turning The Elder Scrolls into an MMO.

Thats because the Gamers over at the TESO Forums are NOT Elder Scrolls fans. They are Themepark MMO and DAOC fans.

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

So I guess this is going to be like SWTOR, where the game flops and 6 months later we get a "leak" about how they only tried to make the game the "players" we asking them to make?

Can't say I'd have a lot of pity. You've got tons of coverage, convention-wide opinions, and national gamer outcry over the WoW-ing of the MMORPG genre; to choose to listen then to the faction of a percentage of people that are bored enough to type something into your forum would be amateur, especially after the initial controversy over the debut of their game in particular.

But whatever.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• LucioonLucioon Member UncommonPosts: 819

I hope you are all right, that Zenimax won't be listening to them.

Because we all know that we can quote the developers words from the wonderful world of Internet History button. Its also true that they can quote us as well. And its just that with the posts available, there really wasnt much hope for this game if thats all they listen to.

Life is a Maze, so make sure you bring your GPS incase you get lost in it.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Originally posted by XAPGames

yeah I am not sure why people say that we dont know much or that we should wait to see game play before we decide. its kind of like saying 'I know they said the football game will start at 11 but you never know for sure if its a football game until the game starts'

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Yeah, I don't have much faith TESO is going to be any good.

I've been playing a LOT of Skyrim recently (again) and it is so good because it is an Elder Scrolls RPG... it's open world sandbox fun.

I'm playing character #2 completely, 100% differently than character #1.

Sad :(

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by travamars

Considering TES has the worst combat (my opinion) of any game i've played that sounds like good news.

Yeah, TES is great for the "openess" and world design but lacks in all other parts.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Zenimax got a big kick in the nuts, and they felt it.

After the E3 event, they got out of the spotlight.

I hope they are rethinking few things.

Maybe is too late to change the core of the game but maybe there is still time to modify few things and add something else (housing)

They would be silly to go on with the game in this state................It will be a huge failure.

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350
    hopefully they don't focus too much on story because we all knw how that ends.
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by ste2000

They would be silly to go on with the game in this state................It will be a huge failure.

According to this site failure means +500k subscribers and hundreds millions of revenue so I would not be worried much...

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Originally posted by ste2000

Zenimax got a big kick in the nuts, and they felt it.

How so?

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Mostly agreed.  For me, the TES lore isn't that special to me; it was the open nature of the gameplay.

While there's alot that that you can't really do in an MMO environment, there's some of it they could do through phasing and other fairly new technologies.

If Turbine can create a rebuildable city, and Anet can create chained scenarios, there are things you can effect, even if temporarily.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Originally posted by Korusus

I would encourage you to ignore the official forums over at Bethesda.  Number one Bethesda completely ignores them, not even just a little bit, but completely.  Number two, there was a huge outrcy against the game in the first few days, the thing is most Elder Scrolls fans are just that....Elder Scrolls fans.  They aren't going to waste their time debating the merits of a game that is Elder Scrolls in name only.  There's mods to create and Skyrim DLC to worry about.

And I'll be honest, their forums don't exactly attract the best and the brightest.  You only need to peruse the first few threads to realize these are people that think nothing Zenimax touches can possibly ever be bad.  AKA kool-aid drinkers.

Wait until the real TES:O forums open, I think there will be better discussion then.  Then again, maybe not, I think this game is a 0 on most peoples radars.  There's nothing really to discuss....it's bad and the devs are insular and closed-off to discussion.

The outcry was mostly from 2 sources.  The sRPG player crowd, aka the crowd who wouldnt play an MMO if it gave you long life and warm feelings.  The other crowd was the disillusioned crowd of MMO vets who took the words of that Gameinformer article and Reddit leak as gospel.  I dont recall who it was wither MMORPG.com or Massively who wrote about having an non MMO site get the first scoop was stupid and IMO contributed to alot of the original angst.

However, esp after E3 I can safely say most of the news has been postitive and IMO the game is starting to look like a sleeper.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730
    Originally posted by Istavaan
    hopefully they don't focus too much on story because we all knw how that ends.

It ends pretty much the same way as those that don't focus on story.

Standard MMO quests - kill X of Y - are the focus of those games as well.  Those quests are stories - really bad ones, so bad most people skip through them.  Kill X of Y isn't scintillating gameplay, no matter if it's in text, PQ, or scripted "dynamic" event.

Sandbox elements are the only thing that would provide truly different gameplay.  A TES game should include more of that type of gameplay, but that does not appear to be the way that TESO is going, unfortunately.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• AthisioAthisio Member Posts: 72
    I honestly haven't paid much attention due to 1 reason. All TES games really force you the FPS path and for me fps never feels right in rpg's. Thats just my opinion. Also when i tried 3rd person in skyrim it felt buggy / off / poorly done
  • busdriverbusdriver Member Posts: 859

I find this perplexing, most of the core features are well known by now from articles and interviews. How is it so difficult to see where this game is heading from those texts? Or is reading just going out fashion?

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059

Why is it that in the back of my mind already, I can hear the team claiming the problems are all the players fault for not jumping through the hoops they thought we should after subscriptions plummet at the end of month one? I fear I am developing a sixth sense and we all know how that goes in all those horror movies.

I do not know if TESO will be any good or not. I actually appreciate the teams honesty regarding their product.  This is espeacially true considering that the information provided and very choice quotes dissuade me from pre-ordering or investing an over abundant degree of hope in the game. I will not spend another outragous fee for what amounts to a single player story "mmo" in their own words as I have been burned by enough of those in the past year or two while looking for a good MMORPG. I will wait for the price to drop and decide if its worth a month based on what is written here in the forums.

I guess they are designing the game the way the are because it's what they think will make them successful. I may think them disconnected from their fanbase but I do not mistake them for stupid. I do feel its a shame though, that they would throw away the things that make the TES series unique in the process.

• SimonVDHSimonVDH Member Posts: 178

I know little about this game, but I can tell you that, if it fails, it will do so for the same reason all previous MMORPGs failed; lack of immersion.

Generic gameplay and skills, generic quests, unimaginative, boring lore, static, disjointed world with invisble walls, linear progression, no real, meaningfull crafting and player-driven economy, unoriginal graphic style, all, or at least some, of those things, result in every MMORPG relesed lately failing to create any kind of immersion. Cutscenes with full voice-overs are good for 20-30 hours and singleplayer.

If developers of TESO can recreate the immersion of TES: Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim in big, interactive and open gameworld, with original graphic style, somewhat original skills and/or classes, non-linear progression, than it can be a great game.

I know it probably won't be this way and the game will turn out to be another quick money grab  :(

• rdrakkenrdrakken Member Posts: 426
    Originally posted by Gdemami

According to this site failure means +500k subscribers and hundreds millions of revenue so I would not be worried much...

Seeing as how Skyrim sold more in two months than Oblivion did altogether...and Oblivion was one of the best selling RPGs of all time...no, 500k is not a success seeing as how they are making TESO to take advantage of its NAME.

You dont go from over 10 million in sales in one game, to 500k subscribers and claim success. Whats worse, the only reason people are talking about the game is due to its name...and most of it is bad.