Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria: Pandaria vs. Tyria

Comments

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    Originally posted by expresso

End game

• Pandaria for PvE (Raiding with guild)
      • Tyria for PvP (hope I can get into an orginaised guild that work as a team)

Easy as that

I did the same thing with EQ back in the day for PvE and also subbed to DAoC for PvP.

• AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940

The Guild Wars 2 release date was known for a month before the Mists of Pandaria release date. ArenaNet did not decide to put those two games so close to launch, Blizzard did. There weren't much options left to release GW 2 in 2012 even before, whereas Blizzard usually delays games a year or two beyond the initial announcement (the people of ArenaNet actually took that habit with them when they left Blizzard..), it seems kinda forced to release it only a year after the announcement.

Also, you said you didn't want to spent this column to stack them up, why did you do it then? You compare a handful of features of both games, instead of talking about why Blizzard thinks it's a good idea to release a month after GW2, and trying to figure out if it's actually a good idea, or if they shot themselves in the foot.

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    ^^ good point and there is no doubt the ball was in blizzards court for the decision, Arena knew what wow was capable of and they actually pulled a fast one here getting thier release off first, they don't go first and people just get wrapped up in mists, they go first and people get a chance to check it out, at least the box sales were higher than if they released second.
  • elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

For the first time in my history of playing WoW, I am actually going to NOT buy this expansion right away.  I WILL be neck deep in GW2 and WoW's endgame has NEVER kept me.  It was always the alt leveling game I enjoyed, but that got old after my 5th character.  I can't stand raiding, arenas and mindless dailies, so what else is left to do in WoW at endgame?  I would rather do GW2s way which is PVP and run story mode and exploration mode for cosmetic updates to my gear on top of playing alts and exploring each and every zone to the max.  Something else WoW fails at anymore.  There is no more sense of exploration in WoW, like there was in it's Vanilla days. 

GW2 wins hands down on this one, for me.

• Slyther_ZeroSlyther_Zero Member Posts: 127
    Originally posted by elocke

For the first time in my history of playing WoW, I am actually going to NOT buy this expansion right away.  I WILL be neck deep in GW2 and WoW's endgame has NEVER kept me.  It was always the alt leveling game I enjoyed, but that got old after my 5th character.  I can't stand raiding, arenas and mindless dailies, so what else is left to do in WoW at endgame?  I would rather do GW2s way which is PVP and run story mode and exploration mode for cosmetic updates to my gear on top of playing alts and exploring each and every zone to the max.  Something else WoW fails at anymore.  There is no more sense of exploration in WoW, like there was in it's Vanilla days. 

GW2 wins hands down on this one, for me.

Yep precisely my oppinion too.

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218
    Originally posted by Rockniss
    ^^ good point and there is no doubt the ball was in blizzards court for the decision, Arena knew what wow was capable of and they actually pulled a fast one here getting thier release off first, they don't go first and people just get wrapped up in mists, they go first and people get a chance to check it out, at least the box sales were higher than if they released second.

I dont think blizzards launch date for MOP was at influenced by GW2 release date which was only announced in June, MOP has been in closed beta since March of this year, looking back at all previous expansions they've all been in close beta for around 5 months before release, and when september rolls round that would be 5-6 months.  I dont see an agenda here I just see Blizzard doing what they've always done.

I honestly flip flop back and forth, more than likely even though I'm being stubborn right now, I will play GW2 at launch, if I don't like it I'm going to bust my pc in half, if this was the release of GW instead of GW2 I wouldn't look twice, but really if there is one game that deserves a chance ( my last one to give btw) its GW2. I hope I love it, I just don't want to get my hopes up to high and go crawling back to my ex wife world of warcraft, I'm hoping not to play wow again until after this expac. I do think wow deserves a lot of credit though, they raise the bar for everyone else and force them to come out with alternatives like GW2 that are trilogy different, I just hope its sustainable.
  • BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

I dont think blizzards launch date for MOP was at influenced by GW2 release date which was only announced in June, MOP has been in closed beta since March of this year, looking back at all previous expansions they've all been in close beta for around 5 months before release, and when september rolls round that would be 5-6 months.  I dont see an agenda here I just see Blizzard doing what they've always done.

I disagree.  WoW has timed every major expansion and large content release with all of the other big MMO releases and expansions.  WoW is smart and they do this on purpose.

GW2 release was,more influenced by wow even though it came later, activision has some other big names coming out in October and November, it just seems logical on thier part to get mists out and rolling not to compete with thier other games, and.... Arena had to beat that punchline which they are going to, mists might be ready on the same day as GW2 for all we know, but then there would be a true head to head and blizz would be the loser on the deal, they would solidify a bad rap and lose customers to GW2, thier release date timing is really the lesser of all the evils.
  • DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

I agree for the most part. Although I do think they actually delayed the expansion a bit possibly due to GW2. Allowing a month of playtime for GW2 is a smarter decision than having MOP release a week after GW2 for example.

• bubalubabubaluba Member Posts: 434

I am GW2 fan because of easy pvp and equal chances for ''noobs'' and hardcore players but Wintergrasp or Tol Barad in wow looks to me equal good as any gw2 pvp option. You forget something about wow--Epic battles for oposing faction cities like raids on Stormwind of Ogrimar. Wow will stay wow and gw2 cant harm this game and both have places on market today. Give subscription option to GW2 and you will see how strong is he compared to wow. It is easy to play with numbers when you have only one option--F2P

• gr0und3dgr0und3d Member Posts: 113

One thing that I am curious about is GW2's staying power besides PvP.  Won't it get old playing for hours and hours and getting really cool stuff only to zone in and scale? 

For example:

1: "Hey buddy, thanks for coming to help!"

2: "No problem I am a master at GW2!"

1: "Wow!  Your +1000 Sword of Godkilling does the same damage as this bucket I picked up over there."

Is that a legitimate concern in GW2?  I haven't played it yet.

• Xstatic912Xstatic912 Member Posts: 365
    Loving mists & tyria, its awesome that one is free and one is paid. . I can alternate between them..

I love both games, thx much...
  • DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053
    Originally posted by gr0und3d

One thing that I am curious about is GW2's staying power besides PvP.  Won't it get old playing for hours and hours and getting really cool stuff only to zone in and scale? 

For example:

1: "Wow!  Your +1000 Sword of Godkilling does the same damage as this bucket I picked up over there."

Depends on what you are looking for in a game. GW1 has survived and thrived over the years with essentially the same model.

• MahavishnuMahavishnu Member Posts: 336

Obviously, this will be the MMO-Duell of the year!

I do not like MoP at all. And I think it will not be a huge success and sell fewer boxes than earlier expansions.

However, GW2 looks promising. But we still have no clue about 90% of the game! If the rest of the game is as good, as the stuff we have already seen, it will really hit the market. But that is a big "IF".

Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need.

• VaelgardVaelgard Member UncommonPosts: 65

I, for one, hope that both games are awesome and successful.  This genre needs some fresh ideas and experiences.  After the ultra-fails like SWTOR, I'm borderline desperate for a good MMO experience.  I played the everliving hell out of WoW for the better part of the last 8 years, and well, maybe MoP will bring me back.  But I hit the wall with the carrot-on-a-stick gear progression and if it's just more of that, I have no interest.  I pre-ordered GW2 and it looks really promising, and I have lots of hope for it, but I've been slapped in the face many times before by games that looked great and weren't.  We shall see.

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

Sensationalism. Given the B2P nature of GW2, current WoW subscribers are free to enjoy both for the box prices alone. It's not an either/or.

• mbladeplmbladepl Member Posts: 2

This is what I think

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610

For example:

First off don’t forgot that in MMOs everyone wants to look cooler than the other guy and show off, or they want to look unique. Second, have we forgotten why we play video games? Is it to have fun? Or have more powerful gear so we can do harder content to get more powerful gear? Personally I play for the fun of seeing new things and to challenge myself. GW2 dungeons are fun and challenging and any gamer will have a fun time messing around in them. I don’t need a sword dangled in my face to make me want to kill a boss 50 times in hopes of getting a drop. Now I get to pick what dungeon I want to do, instead of being on a treadmill, forced to kill that boss till it drops my sword so I can go do what I wana do. This means that ANet needs to put out more quality content to keep people playing and I think they are up for it.

^^ I think your spot on, but what's,wrong with hc pvpers and rpers, both are very interesting to have around especially the latter
  • BlakkrskyrrBlakkrskyrr Member Posts: 230
    I haven't even bought cataclysm and played 2 levels of WotLK. I pre-purchased gw2 the day it was available. MOP can suck it. Blizzard is a money bag, ArenaNet is a wishing well. I'm putting my money in the wishing well :)
  • gr0und3dgr0und3d Member Posts: 113
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle

First off don’t forgot that in MMOs everyone wants to look cooler than the other guy and show off, or they want to look unique. Second, have we forgotten why we play video games? Is it to have fun? Or have more powerful gear so we can do harder content to get more powerful gear? Personally I play for the fun of seeing new things and to challenge myself. GW2 dungeons are fun and challenging and any gamer will have a fun time messing around in them. I don’t need a sword dangled in my face to make me want to kill a boss 50 times in hopes of getting a drop. Now I get to pick what dungeon I want to do, instead of being on a treadmill, forced to kill that boss till it drops my sword so I can go do what I wana do. This means that ANet needs to put out more quality content to keep people playing and I think they are up for it.

Looking cool is definitely a good carrot, but only half a carrot.  Part of what makes gear so special, for me, is the fact that the stats are better.  I love vanity gear, but having useful gear actually has a sense of progression.  If the only progression is having different colors, I wont last....

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

The last game for me from  Blizzard was Diablo3, and starcraft franchise. ats it for me from them.I attended the last blizzcon and was the most dissapointing event ive ever attended. it was like revealing the grand Oz behind the curtain.

Anet was won me over!-in a BIG way! ive been fortunate enough to try both betas, and Tyria will be my home!  so much to love about this game a forum wouldnt do justice!

• SekkerhundSekkerhund Member UncommonPosts: 20

Setting aside my bias against World of Warcraft, I think that WoW has hit its menopausal stage of life.  I don't see them bringing in new players anymore, so what we'll see are the WoW faithful holding down the fort for its next phase of life.  I expect to see a lackluster MoP release, and more reports of "WoW is bleeding subs" starting around the holidays.

Is WoW dead?  No. 

Is WoW dying?  No. 

But WoW has reached that venerable age, where its now going to be in a constant state of decline, rather than growth, and hopefully its Dev team will realize that and work with it, rather than trying to course correct and plunging the game into the Abyss.

• davestr1zldavestr1zl Member Posts: 218
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle

For example:

Maybe its just me, but I feel you contradict yourself several times here.

"First off don’t forgot that in MMOs everyone wants to look cooler than the other guy and show off, or they want to look unique"

Followed by:

"I don’t need a sword dangled in my face to make me want to kill a boss 50 times in hopes of getting a drop"

and:

"Now I get to pick what dungeon I want to do, instead of being on a treadmill, forced to kill that boss till it drops my sword so I can go do what I wana do"

So you say that everyone wants to look cool, unique and show off - and we know the source of the cool/unique items are the dungeons.... yet you try to say people dont need that impressive sword dangling in front of them to incentivize them to play... but according to you they do, because they want to look cool and unique.

How is it any different farming a dungeon over and over to get a cool cosmetic look than farming a dungeon over and over to get a cool cosmetic look.. with stats. It is literally the same thing.

Are you telling me that if theres a cool looking sword in the game you want to get you wont grind a dungeon over and over to get it? It is after all the first point you make about one thing people want to achieve in an MMO.