Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will you play SWTOR F2P? (POLL)

Comments

• KazaraKazara Member UncommonPosts: 1,086

I stopped playing SWTOR before my subscription time ran out. Going F2P will not fix what ails SWTOR and why I left in the first place. If I find a game not worth $15/month, it will not be worth my time even as F2P.

• MildozeMildoze Member UncommonPosts: 10
    Originally posted by vmoped

Changing of the payment model has no impact on the gameplay.  My issues with the game deal with it's gameplay.  Until that is changed in a positive way (IMO), then there is no desire on my part to return.

Cheers!

I'm n ot trying to pick a fight, but this game has the same "gameplay" as many other mmo's. There is nothing fundamentaly wrong with the gameplay. I'm no fan boy either, I played beta and was still playing after 1.2 . Personally I think a lot of people are waaay off base on their complaints about the game. I quit, just like alot of people did. The issues with this game we're minor. The problem with the game is that it's a dated gameplay model that no one is really into. Specifically, a game with said gameplay model that is just getting started. Server transfers, Ranked WZ, and many other features are expected part of the quaility of life in an mmo. I shouldn't be sitting on my hands waiting for these updates. I say, shame on EA for forcing this game out of the gate too soon.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

Yes, I never bought it and plan on playing the story at least once. Play lit like if it were ME or DA

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

No I will not be returning for the F2P launch. I Bought the CE (love the statue btw) played for a good month, got to level 43-ish and began to get that ol familiar feeling of gear grinding that I left in the dust over a year ago from WoW raiding. A grind that I did NOT feel like repeating (especially if it involved raiding) after doing it for many years.

Now I'm playing TSW and enjoying the break from raiding, although I'm getting a lot of the elitist mentality from players spamming AR and CP requirements to run elites and NM modes. But it means moot to my overall feelings about TSW because I will be making the jump to GW2 and that will be until the next mmo comes along and tickles my fancy. What can I say, I'm a fan of MMORPGs not a fan of a MMORPG.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

If I still had the game installed on my HD, yeah I'd probably log in and check it out if I was bored one day...

but since I will A) Have GW2 by then and B) do NOT have it installed...

Nope, not worth the time/bandwidth to DL all over again - even for a free game.

My biggest gripe is that the combat is just SO bad.

It's like WoW... but without any of the speed and fun.

You either have to A) use healing companion 24/7 or .... oh wait there is no B or C.

The PvE leveling up process is just SUCH a grind... I gave up on my Consular at 30 something and rolled alts for weeks before coming back and trudging through to 50.

And that's what it was... a trudge. The story barely kept me interested, the climax so disappointing... I maybe spent 5-6 hours at level 50 before I never logged in again.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

A game that wasn't fun enough at £2.50/ wk to make me want to play it dosen't get any funner without it.

Honestly, that amount of money is no barrier to me playing a game that I enjoy right now, which I would be if SWTOR was actually what I was looking for.

I just never found it fun.

Sub or 'F2P'... it's irrelevant to my choice.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

No

I got my enjoyment out of the game, but frankly I don't care where they take the game from here gameplay wise. I'm simply not interested in their story lines at all with the game so no reason to go back.

Fifteen bucks a month really isn't a deterrent from me playing a game to begin with.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

As long as I get to play as a Sith Pureblood or a Zabrak, I'm gong to play this game.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915
    I might come back for the F2P model; strictly to finish the storyline of my 3 alts. It is funny that SWTOR is giving the best parts of the game for free (the story and voiceovers) but payment for the endgame stuff which had/has problems.

But with Guild Wars 2 coming out, and Phantasy Star Online coming out early next year followed by ArcheAge/Blade & Soul & Cat… I don’t think I will be putting in more than 2-3 hours a week for SWTOR. So one playing session per week for me.

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    Originally posted by AmbrosiaAmor
    But with Guild Wars 2 coming out, and Phantasy Star Online coming out early next year followed by ArcheAge/Blade & Soul & Cat… I don’t think I will be putting in more than 2-3 hours a week for SWTOR. So one playing session per week for me.

Oh GOD I can't wait for PSO2, and I am giving some serious thought to buying Guild Wars 2.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• davestr1zldavestr1zl Member Posts: 218
    Originally posted by xmenty

I vote No.

In my opnion, its not F2P.

It is a freemium and you have to sub monthly to get the full experience.

Not worth the time.

By that logic I can only think of one, maybe two games that I would probably consider remotely 'free to play' then, and neither of them are MMO's. What do you really expect seriously?

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

First off let me preface by saying this.  The exit interview was skewed when I took it.  I did tell them that the game was not worth the sub fee.  However they have translated that folks did not want to pay a sub. What I told them the game was not worth the money that is a big difference.

Going free to play fixes nothing other than removing the sub fee.  If they don't fix the problems that chased off many of their subscribers going free to play will not make them come back.  I think bioware is just blowing some up their own backside if they honestly believe that they are going to get back to the 2.4 million copies that they sold.

You have to fix content,  anybody who believes that bs that they are going to have content updates ever 6 weeks needs to have some kool aid.  They cant even do that now.

You have to make the game fun, you have to have a better end game, and you need dev's who understand how to optimize that stupid hero engine. They have to fix the broken flashpoints, and broken operations, broken quest on ilum.  They need to make a living breathing world.

Until they can do all that the game game be free to play all they want, I will not be coming back.  I will say this they though that moving folks to 18 servers was going to fix the problems that did not work, and neither will free to play, until they fix the underlying problems that made the game suck for so many folks.

• JounarJounar Member UncommonPosts: 142

I went with the don't know option.

At launch I lasted less than a month with a level 50 SW, 38 BH and a few low level characters. My quiting SWTOR had nothing to do with the sub fee and everything to do with it being a pretty bad MMO on so many levels.

Dull combat, lifeless worlds, the exact same grouping of mobs everywhere, piss poor performance, dated graphics, ugly armors types, the insane amount of instancing and loading screens, pitiful endgame content and a lack of the most basic MMO features were all part of the reason I quit.

I just can't see the addition of a nickle and dime cash shop (hello, its EA)  and the game going F2P fixing any of the issues I have with TOR tbh.

• Tensor25Tensor25 Member Posts: 70

Voted yes.

I'm subbing now and I will continue to sub. Having a blast playing 5 different characters with a group of 5 friends.

I'm in my late 20's and am a casual gamer and a Star Wars fan and from that standpoint this game is just perfect.  We're usally able to log for a couple hours a night and wield a lightsaber, and for us that is just perfect. and i know there there are a lot of other folks out there that feel the same way.

[mod edit]

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990
    Originally posted by Tensor25

Let the kiddies leave; games get much better when they do.

Yeah...like that even makes any sense. Felt so petty about needing to throw an insult you decided to throw out logic too eh?

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

Nope.. I will not..  I quit for a reason and F2P isn't going to correct that.. 

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641

Of course not, I'm going to spend the next 8 years bitching about this fecking NGE and if they had made it a world I could live in and mosture farm, build a house with a nice white picket fence and play a stripper in a cantina for 8 hours a day honing my arse wiggling skills that it would have a gazillion subs and be the best game eva!!!!!!!!!! wait a minute thats not right..........

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• LanfeaLanfea Member UncommonPosts: 223

a more interesting question would be: will you play swtor f2p and pay something for it?

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

Voted #2.

Waiting to see what perks people that bought the F2P game 8 months ago get.

• VaelgardVaelgard Member UncommonPosts: 65

Making a crappy game free doesn't make it any less crappy.  No.

• FinnMcCoolFinnMcCool Member Posts: 34

I have said No for now as to me it doesnt matter if its free or you have to pay as SWTOR to me just isnt Star Wars enough for me to enjoy it

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

I unsubbed because it was shit, how does it going F2P change that?

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788

Would rather pay for a good meal than eat free crap. NO.....

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Played their poor excuse for a trial. Nope won't be playing it I'll be happily playing another title where the devs actually listen to their public without being strongarmed by losing thousands of gamers before making the requested changes.

• dummenumsedummenumse Member Posts: 81

I played to start 30's when it came out.

Must say the storylines are fun enough and being able to level for free will make me play it.

As for whether I then will spend any money on it is doubtful. Think it wants to do the same as WoW and does it worse. If I wanted more of that genre I would just play the game that does those mechanics best. Namely WoW.

If you want to hire Machete to kill the bad guys, you better make damn sure the bad guy isnt you!