Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Review] The Secret World: Funcom's Magnum Opus

Comments

• bubalubabubaluba Member Posts: 434

If swtor deserve 8.7 and GW2 is hyped to 8.7 i would give to  TSW  9.5. I understand it is not easy mmo like most of them but it is real rpg with amazing and hard quests and with fascinating graphic and ambient. I will spend most of the time with casual mmo like gw2 but i must admit that tsw is rare pearl in mmo world today. It is maybe to hard for wow,gw or swtor fans but not everything must be the same.  And there is no elves (or plant elves:) ) thats oner big + from me

• EudaimonEudaimon Member UncommonPosts: 116

8.5 is exactly where I'd put TSW too (maybe an 8).  I'd also have added a category for sound, which is one area where TSW excels (probably a 9.5 there IMO)

The setting is amazing, but the combat gameplay doesn't feel very deep.

As for replayability, I think the review is too generous - the group content is fairly limited at present, and there's little point in alting, as there're minimal plot differences between the factions (there are some different appearance options of course).  For replayability etc. I'd have given a 6.  That said, Funcom's commitment to release additional missions etc. is good and, if they actually stick to their word, should be positive.

• XPraetorianXXPraetorianX Member CommonPosts: 107

Originally posted by Grakulen

I really enjoyed this game. If they can continue to add new missions on a monthly basis and alternate in new skills and weapons once a quarter I think they are really on to something. I also think they will need a new dungeon or two sprinkled in there as well. Not just nightmare modes to extend the gear grind.

I was really surprised by the game. I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. Keep up the good work so this will still be relevant a year from now.

^^ This for sure. The game starts out slow but by the time you get to Egypt WOW. People who say no reson to group are just WRONG btw. I play with my two boys and it is way better when they are with me vs solo. Just destroy stuff and have almost no down time. Granted there is the option to solo but it takes longer. Thats the trade off. Further more the best gear comes from the dungeons and its not possible to solo those. This game is nothing like the SOLO fest that SWTOR was. I am a big time GW2 fan boy but It has become clear this game is great and its noce to have two solid games to play. There will not be a lack of things to do that is for sure. TSW has all but stopped me from playing Dayz and I love that game lol.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

All in all this is a great themepark MMO and one that deserves recognition for being beatiful, fun and innovative.  I'm no fan of theme parks in general, but this one appeals to me.  

This is a good review for the most part.  However, I completely disagree with giving it such high marks for Social features.  The game has virtually none to speak of other than some places for people to RP.  There really aren't any social gameplay mechanis, and even the Cabal (guild) system is little more than a chat tab.  In my opinion, they shouldn't get higher than a 6.0 for Social until they really start focusing on it.

Crafting gear is mostly pointless because of all the good stuff being in the dungeons.  I think this is a problem, because I enjoy crafting and right now I really question why it's in the game.   Sure the crafted buffs are nice, but I haven't really needed those either.

The game is *mostly* polished, but there are some areas with glaring problems that must be addressed.  Chat tabs are still breaking when you zone.  The inventory system is a mess and  nightmare to use, and Gear Management, which is key to gameplay once you get about half-way through the game (earlier for some people) is still very buggy and awkward.

They need to concentrate on these areas, and they will have a very good niche game on their hands.  This game isn't for everyone, but clearly a lot of different kinds of people enjoy it.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• KyrmaKyrma Member Posts: 3

I was in the closed beta for a few months and while the game does a lot of great things, there was one glaring problem I had w/ the game....combat.

Combat felt so slow, clunky and out of sync to the point of being annoying at times. Funcom via patches did get the combat a little better @ the end of the beta, but still wasn't enough to get me to buy the game and then pay a sub. 

If TSW goes FTP w/ just the game purchase I would do that because the game is actually quite challenging and fun in most aspects. 

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Originally posted by toddze

The real reviews of a game come from the players now and only the players. It is not just this site that has stopped giving real reviews of a game all game sites have.

Funny. The average score for TSW on Metacritic with over 600 USER/GAMER/PLAYER reviews is 8.4. Go figure. ;)

See for yourself: http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/the-secret-world/user-reviews

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

GW2 fans out in full force I see :) They just hate everything. After so long of thinking everyone else is wrong there comes a point when you need to look at yourself.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • ShmackpappyShmackpappy Member Posts: 75

Wow, people sure do waste a lot of energy slamming a review.  I'll put it simply.  I am currently playing TSW and loving it.  It is refreshingly different.  The game is definitly not for everyone but what game is.  I will get my $50 out of it and then some.  I will continue to play until I don't have fun any more and then move on.  It is a game nor a marriage.   Some people seem to expect a game to entertain them for the next 10 years. 

• KimikazeKimikaze Member Posts: 11

I agree with most of the review. It's a good game now, and it could evolve into a amazing game if they keep improving it. If they keep up the monthly/regular updates I will be playing this for a long time.

• TheAncientTheAncient Member Posts: 67

Originally posted by Suzie_Ford

The real reviews of a game come from the players now and only the players. It is not just this site that has stopped giving real reviews of a game all game sites have.

Funny. The average score for TSW on Metacritic with over 600 USER/GAMER/PLAYER reviews is 8.4. Go figure. ;)

See for yourself: http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/the-secret-world/user-reviews

And yet the critics gave it just 7.1.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/the-secret-world

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643

Originally posted by TheAncient

And yet the critics gave it just 7.1

Yes because the critics were right on so many other games that got huge scores that were higher than TSW.  Oh wait, the players seemed not to like those games.

No, MMORPG must follow the trend and just give it the same score as the others to appease your narrative.  Please....

If anything, I have major respect for Suzie for being honest with her review knowing that people like you and plenty more vile posters above would crucify the site and her for 'daring' to give TSW, the game,  the score it deserves.  Rather than, you know, giving Funcom, the company, the score the community wants it to have.

• JohnnymmoJohnnymmo Member Posts: 99
    Originally posted by TheAncient

And yet the critics gave it just 7.1.

So maybe if you look at the reviews there under 70% you ll mostly see crap small sites who came with a review way too fast and didnt really Play it. The guy who gave it 40 didnt Even review the dungeons.
    This game will just Get better and better. Raids soon incoming
  • nationalcitynationalcity Member UncommonPosts: 501
    Originally posted by Fadedbomb

None of your scores make sense.

Aesthetics – 9.5??

How in the bloody hell did you find it "ok" to take what essentially boils down to "Graphics" and turn it into a major scoring point for TSW? Graphics =/= a game. This shouldn't be a scoring point!

Game Play – 8.5??

This is a highly opinion based score area given the fact that people whom like WoW will like TSW's gameplay, but generally speaking people whom like DAOC, EQ, SWG, or even Age of Conan's combat system will dislike it immensely. You should put near the beginning of your article which game you mostly relate to for your scores. Obviously I don't agree at all with an "8.5" given TSW's horribly clunky & non-intuitive combat system. Not to mention the horrible animations.

Value & Longevity – 8.0??

Your primary reason, as stated, for this scoring point was based on SWTOR's recent announcement about F2P and that since TSW already has a cash-shop it'll make a clean transition to F2P should subs prove to dip too low?!

Value & Longevity is a scoring point, in most reviews, that dictate replayability & end-game enjoyment. At the VERY LEAST it has nothing to do with the payment model associated with the game.

NONE OF THE POINTS YOU RAISED FOR SCORING MAKE ANY SENSE AS A PRIMARY REVIEWBASE!

Next, we look at your overall Pros/Cons that have zero connection to any of your previous scoring points:

Pros

image Deep skill system - Just a facade, not actually "deep"

image GREAT story - Agreed, but so did SWTOR

image Meaningful dungeons - How exactly are they "meaningful", they have no impact at all on the world outside those instances?!

image Tiered and unique questing - Same quest system used by WoW. Go to point A get quests 1 - 9, do quests, go to Point B for higher tiered/chained quests. Nothing unique here other than the occassional "gem" with a half-decent story behind it.

Cons

image Lack of initial character customization - Yup

image Lackluster PvP - Yup

image Repetitive trash mobs - Yup

Guess what this is your opinion just like she had hers how does that make hers wrong and yours right...

Thats what I thought.....

Just cause her review doesn't say its crap you dont like it....

• ZooceZooce Member Posts: 586

I thought TSW was an 8.5 too before I left Kingsmouth.  Link to your chronicle Suzie?

Originally posted by jdnyc

If anything, I have major respect for Suzie for being honest with her review knowing that people like you and plenty more vile posters above would crucify the site and her for 'daring' to give TSW the score it deserves.  Rather than, you know, giving Funcom the company the score the community wants it to have.

The cool thing is Suzie's score is right in line with the gaming community :) 

8.7 from mmorpg users

8.4 from metacritic users

We know there is a certain bored boisterous community on this site that believes they speak for the rest of the gaming world :)

• rusrecrusrec Member UncommonPosts: 52

Just because you dont agree or like what the commenter said doesnt mean it doesnt make sense, therefore......

none of your comments make sense.

Hate much? 

p.s your post is significantly bigger in a feeble attemp to hog up the screen to draw attention to you.  I vote the post get deleted in its entirety.

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643

Originally posted by Zooce

I thought TSW was an 8.5 too before I left Kingsmouth.  Link to your chronicle Suzie?

You do know linking of chronicles 9/10 from people aren't really them right?

I would ask for yours, but you'd just do the same thing and pick someone who's played the hell out of the game and say it's you.  Who's to know?  amirite?

The game gets better not worse when you leave Kingsmouth FYI.  That is a predominant concensus for the actual playerbase.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

8.5 sounds good, and i agree with it.

I dont understand the tension here tho, you could have cascade of titles at 8.5 i dont see why people want a lower score because another game is popular.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• ZooceZooce Member Posts: 586

I would ask for yours, but you'd just do the same thing and pick someone who's played the hell out of the game and say it's you.  Who's to know?  amirite?

I linked my chronicle weeks ago on this site.  That was two weeks of playtime, I have't logged into the game since the 14th.

Suzie?

I linked my chronicle weeks ago on this site.  That was two weeks of playtime, I have't logged into the game since the 14th.

Suzie?

mmorpg user score - 8.8 400+ ratings
    metacritic user score 8.4 600+ ratings
    mmorpg site review 8.5

Over 1000 ratings at an average of 8.6 for these too sites. 

Are you going to ask all those others to link too? 

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081
    Originally posted by falc0n
    [mod edit]

[mod edit]

I played EVERY stage of Beta, and even got to test the Alpha build before beta hit.

I was using an example of questing by saying "collect 9 quests". Yes, they DO limit you in the # of main quests you can collect, but saying you can only collect 3 side quests is 100% FALSE. In beta, prior to launch, I was able to collect 1 main question and up to 5 side quests. It depended on the TYPE of quest and if it was a chain off of one of the first ones I picked up. It also depends on the type of quest (combat, delivery, etc).

Next time try to do better than just take what I say out of context. It was obvious I wasn't saying "THIS IS HOW IT IS 100% VERBATUM!". The quest system, compared to WoW, is the same. Get quest -> Go Here, Complete Quest-> go back get another quest from an npc around the first quest giver, or the original quest giver. Once all quests completed in Area(A) -> Move to Area(B) with higher level quests/chains.

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• JohnnymmoJohnnymmo Member Posts: 99
    Originally posted by Nitth

8.5 sounds good, and i agree with it.I dont understand the tension here tho, you could have cascade of titles at 8.5 i dont see why people want a lower score because another game is popular.

Well it is the usual people coming with their views. People who will puposely fill in a 0 on a review site because they Think that makes them cool. The good thing is that most people love this game and thats why the user rating at metacritic is 8.4. Some people Are just sad
  • FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081
    Originally posted by nationalcity

[Snip]

Guess what this is your opinion just like she had hers how does that make hers wrong and yours right...

Thats what I thought.....

Just cause her review doesn't say its crap you dont like it....

So you took what I said, completely ignored the overall message, and went with "Your opinion is no greater than hers, that makes you wrong! [mod edit]" huh?

So let's break down what the overall message actually was.

The review was scoring TSW based on completely disconnected trains fo thought that you don't judge a game on, or were completely incorrect in how they were categorized. Try re-reading what I said than just going "LoL your opinion sucks,[mod edit]

[mod edit]

Essentially, if I were to do a "Review" of a gun similar fashion to how this "Review" was written. I'd judge the gun based on its price-point, price per bullet, and overall "color scheme" of the gun. No where would I mention anything about the inner firing mechanics of the gun, the accuracy of the gun, or the attachments that are available for said gun, or if said gun was legal in X states. You know, useful information to judge a gun by.

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• cyress8cyress8 Member Posts: 832

Suzie?

Would not mind a chronicle link, either.  From the looks of it she never left Kingsmouth by all the pictures shown.

BOOYAKA!

• tharkthark Member UncommonPosts: 1,188
    Originally posted by Ambros123
    Originally posted by dougmysticey
    Originally posted by Ambros123
    Originally posted by tkoreaper
    Originally posted by cyress8
    Originally posted by vtravi

They are? I must be playing a different version of TSW. I am well into Egypt now and while there are quests that are like that there are plently that are not.  Even as early as Kingsmouth there are plenty of quests that are no like that. Examples are: Something Wicked, Men in Black Vans, The one where you follow the crows, the one where you have to figure out how to fly a remote plane with a web cam over a location, the list goes on.

There are missions where you are searching for clues in total darkness trying to sneak around enemeies, there are missions where you need  to tail someone and listen in on private conversations or sneak into a hidden lair, there are missions were you have to avoid and disarm traps.

So, ulitmately, thare not all as you say, not even close.

While there might be a few quests that are intresting and unusual buy by far and large the follow the same quest mechanics.  And no, Kingsmound was not drastically different in quest mechancis.  80-90% were go here go there, kill this collect that to the point where it was giving me flashbacks of SWTOR.

Great story, tiresome mechanics.

Can you please define a quest where you actually are  not walking anywhere ??

It's the substance inbetween that makes a great game and or great lore

Can you PLEASE give an example on HOW they could have done these quests without moving and/or picking up certain things and killing stuff..TSW simply explodes with innovation questvise , sure not in every quest (not even close) but the lore and overall feel is right there..you even say it yourself, even in the quests that simply needs you to kill things