Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

STO July State of the Game

RohnRohn Saint Peters, MOPosts: 3,740Member Uncommon

Cryptic published its State of the Game blog for July, which talks a bit about the release of Season 6, new lockboxes, the status of the Foundry, as well as a few other things.

http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=625951

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

Comments

  • staranstaran ottawa, ONPosts: 83Member Uncommon
    Lol. More Lockboxes
  • AG-VukAG-Vuk Phoenix, AZPosts: 823Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by staran
    Lol. More Lockboxes

    Lmao . I did notice they failed to mention the Klingons. Looks like they've just about given up on the veneer that this is a 2 faction game . Have to say that I love the second paragraph that basically states that they have no content and take credit for basically opening it up,  so you can run it over and over and over again.

    The other paragraph i enjoyed immensely, was the claim that now they will be adding rewards to spotlighted missions on the foundry. Basically another admission that the content flow from Cryptic is going to be reduced further in favor of lock boxes and the C-store.

    Nice upbeat fantasy article.

    “If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State ( game ) can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State ( game forum moderators ) to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State ( games profibility )."  Joseph Goebbels ( modified to fit the situation, only slightly ) Joseph Goebbels quotes JoJoseph Goebbels quotes  

    image
  • MadDemon64MadDemon64 Maplewood, NJPosts: 1,099Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by AG-Vuk
    Originally posted by staran
    Lol. More Lockboxes

    Lmao . I did notice they failed to mention the Klingons. Looks like they've just about given up on the veneer that this is a 2 faction game . Have to say that I love the second paragraph that basically states that they have no content and take credit for basically opening it up,  so you can run it over and over and over again.

    The other paragraph i enjoyed immensely, was the claim that now they will be adding rewards to spotlighted missions on the foundry. Basically another admission that the content flow from Cryptic is going to be reduced further in favor of lock boxes and the C-store.

    Nice upbeat fantasy article.

    “If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State ( game ) can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State ( game forum moderators ) to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State ( games profibility )."  Joseph Goebbels ( modified to fit the situation, only slightly ) Joseph Goebbels quotes JoJoseph Goebbels quotes  

    Lmao, I love how every sentence in your post contains a logical falacy or is otherwise incorrect.

    Failure to mention Klingons does not mean that they have given up on them.  MMO developers and game developers in general are known to be cryptic (pardon the pun), and lack of mentioning the Klingons is not a sign of anything.  Sometimes they outright lie (e.g. Bethesda stating werewolves wouldn't be in Skyrim days before its release).  Also, the second paragraph basically states that they just ADDED new missions in the form of repeatable quests, most likely dailies (seriously did you even bother to read that paragraph instead of skim it?)

    Remember the "other paragraph" you mentioned?  Well, all it says is that they are trying to make improvements to the foundary spotlight system and possibly allow players to add rewards to their foundary missions.  There are only two things that can be implied from it.  First off is that rewards provide players an incentive to play missions, and that by adding them, they hope to get people to play more foundary missions (there is a bit of a stigma that foundary missions are bad, so it can be assumed that this is an attempt to get more players to play the good foundary missions, the ones that could make good actual Star Trek TV episodes).  The second one needs a bit more research.  As you know, Neverwinter is coming out soon, with its own foundary system, and many people are scared that putting loot chests in those missions could ruin the game, so this new rewards for STO foundary missions is probably a test to see if they can find a way to give rewards to foundary missions without leading to abuse or a general ruining of the game.

    As of right now, the only work of fiction/fantasy is your laughable attempt at a fictional "translation" of the state of the game article.

    Since when is Tuesday a direction?

  • staranstaran ottawa, ONPosts: 83Member Uncommon
    2 1/2 years into the game they have to have given up on the kdf faction.
    But at least it is considered the worst faction in mmo history. They can be happy with that distinction.
    It isbt lieing or being deceitful. No resources Nd lazy.
  • ShardWarriorShardWarrior New York, NYPosts: 290Member


    Originally posted by MadDemon64

    Failure to mention Klingons does not mean that they have given up on them.  MMO developers and game developers in general are known to be cryptic (pardon the pun), and lack of mentioning the Klingons is not a sign of anything.  


    History of the KDF in STO.

    Believe it. Cryptic has given up on fleshing out the KDF as their own fully developed faction. The statement that Developer made story content is set aside in favor of more and more lockboxes and C-Store junk is correct.

    No amount of cheerleading and wishful thinking is going to change that.

  • RohnRohn Saint Peters, MOPosts: 3,740Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by ShardWarrior

     


     

    Originally posted by MadDemon64

    Failure to mention Klingons does not mean that they have given up on them.  MMO developers and game developers in general are known to be cryptic (pardon the pun), and lack of mentioning the Klingons is not a sign of anything.  


     

    History of the KDF in STO.

    Believe it. Cryptic has given up on fleshing out the KDF as their own fully developed faction. The statement that Developer made story content is set aside in favor of more and more lockboxes and C-Store junk is correct.

    No amount of cheerleading and wishful thinking is going to change that.

     

    And yet, Klingons have access to all the content found in Season 6, including the Fleet Advancement System, as well as the ability to build full starbases, just like the Feds.

    The KDF still needs more faction-specific content to be sure, but Cryptic has been concentrating their resources on creating content that everyone can use.

    Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

  • MadDemon64MadDemon64 Maplewood, NJPosts: 1,099Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Rohn
    Originally posted by ShardWarrior

     


     

    Originally posted by MadDemon64

    Failure to mention Klingons does not mean that they have given up on them.  MMO developers and game developers in general are known to be cryptic (pardon the pun), and lack of mentioning the Klingons is not a sign of anything.  


     

    History of the KDF in STO.

    Believe it. Cryptic has given up on fleshing out the KDF as their own fully developed faction. The statement that Developer made story content is set aside in favor of more and more lockboxes and C-Store junk is correct.

    No amount of cheerleading and wishful thinking is going to change that.

     

    And yet, Klingons have access to all the content found in Season 6, including the Fleet Advancement System, as well as the ability to build full starbases, just like the Feds.

    The KDF still needs more faction-specific content to be sure, but Cryptic has been concentrating their resources on creating content that everyone can use.

    Exactly!  Its not exactly what people want, but its better than nothing, right?

    Since when is Tuesday a direction?

  • ShardWarriorShardWarrior New York, NYPosts: 290Member



    Originally posted by Rohn

    And yet, Klingons have access to all the content found in Season 6, including the Fleet Advancement System, as well as the ability to build full starbases, just like the Feds.  



    None of which is faction specific to the Klingons.  




    Originally posted by Rohn   The KDF still needs more faction-specific content to be sure, but Cryptic has been concentrating their resources on creating content that everyone can use.

      

     

    You just made the point for me. Adding content that everyone can use is not well developed and fleshed out faction specific content, which is what has been promised since before launch. Some folks are still wondering when it will happen. See the link I posted.

  • ShardWarriorShardWarrior New York, NYPosts: 290Member



    Originally posted by MadDemon64

    Its not exactly what people want, but its better than nothing, right?


     

    Were you the owner of your own business, would you use this as your mission statement or advertising slogan when trying to sell your product?


    Not exactly a ringing endorsement.

  • MadDemon64MadDemon64 Maplewood, NJPosts: 1,099Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by ShardWarrior

     



    Originally posted by MadDemon64

     

    Its not exactly what people want, but its better than nothing, right?


     

     

     

    Were you the owner of your own business, would you use this as your mission statement or advertising slogan when trying to sell your product?


    Not exactly a ringing endorsement.

     

    True true, but still, it is proof that Cryptic has not given up on the Klingons entirely (if they had, then the Klingons wouldn't be getting any content, not even shared content).  Actually, the fact that they went and designed their own Klingon space suit from scracth (as far as I know there is no canon description of a Klingon space suit) kinda disproves your entire argument.

    Since when is Tuesday a direction?

  • itgrowlsitgrowls newport news, VAPosts: 2,951Member
    Originally posted by Rohn

    Cryptic published its State of the Game blog for July, which talks a bit about the release of Season 6, new lockboxes, the status of the Foundry, as well as a few other things.

    http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=625951

    Been playing since beta. So far I've noticed a trend the past few months, lockboxes. They need to stop with them already. Now that they have one that actually drops something useful most of the time outside of the ships most people buy them for, they need to concentrate on all the promises they made about this game. Starting with kits. They need to revamp that system as they are terribly limited on ground missions and most kits don't really work well. For example, healing. Science captains have had the worst healing interface and cooldowns since the beginning of the game. It's ridiculous that an engineer's device can keep everyone alive much better then a science doctor captain. 

    The second thing they need to work on is sector space. Load screens are of the devil.

  • MadDemon64MadDemon64 Maplewood, NJPosts: 1,099Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by itgrowls
    Originally posted by Rohn

    Cryptic published its State of the Game blog for July, which talks a bit about the release of Season 6, new lockboxes, the status of the Foundry, as well as a few other things.

    http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=625951

    Been playing since beta. So far I've noticed a trend the past few months, lockboxes. They need to stop with them already. Now that they have one that actually drops something useful most of the time outside of the ships most people buy them for, they need to concentrate on all the promises they made about this game. Starting with kits. They need to revamp that system as they are terribly limited on ground missions and most kits don't really work well. For example, healing. Science captains have had the worst healing interface and cooldowns since the beginning of the game. It's ridiculous that an engineer's device can keep everyone alive much better then a science doctor captain. 

    The second thing they need to work on is sector space. Load screens are of the devil.

    While I can't really argue with you on your first point (I made a tactical captain so I don't know anything about science kits), the second one is actually a very minor issue.  Load screens are actually not that bad.  If you have a low end computer, then it might be a problem, but that is mroe the fault of your computer and not the game.

    Since when is Tuesday a direction?

  • ShardWarriorShardWarrior New York, NYPosts: 290Member


    Originally posted by MadDemon64

    True true, but still, it is proof that Cryptic has not given up on the Klingons entirely (if they had, then the Klingons wouldn't be getting any content, not even shared content).  Actually, the fact that they went and designed their own Klingon space suit from scracth (as far as I know there is no canon description of a Klingon space suit) kinda disproves your entire argument.


     


    Actually, it is not proof of that at all. It is merely that Klingons are getting things the Federation gets by proxy. That "content" would still be put in the game even if there were no Klingon faction.


    It is not faction specific content, meaning episodic story content that is made specifically for Klingons. That is what the complaint has been since pre-launch. Again, read the link posted.

  • ShardWarriorShardWarrior New York, NYPosts: 290Member


    Originally posted by MadDemon64

    Load screens are actually not that bad.  If you have a low end computer, then it might be a problem, but that is mroe the fault of your computer and not the game.


     


    Correction, it is more a limitation of the Cryptic game engine to require load screens rather than using an expansive vritual world environment.

  • MadDemon64MadDemon64 Maplewood, NJPosts: 1,099Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by ShardWarrior

     


     

    Originally posted by MadDemon64

    Load screens are actually not that bad.  If you have a low end computer, then it might be a problem, but that is mroe the fault of your computer and not the game.


     

     


    Correction, it is more a limitation of the Cryptic game engine to require load screens rather than using an expansive vritual world environment.

    By that logic, the technology that powers open world games like Skyrim is also limited due to it requiring loading screens.

    In fact, since the loading screens for Skyrim take more time, then Star Trek Online and the engine it runs on is superior.

     

     

    Since when is Tuesday a direction?

  • ShardWarriorShardWarrior New York, NYPosts: 290Member


    Originally posted by MadDemon64

    By that logic, the technology that powers open world games like Skyrim is also limited due to it requiring loading screens.


     

    Yes, that is correct.

  • MadDemon64MadDemon64 Maplewood, NJPosts: 1,099Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by ShardWarrior

     


     

    Originally posted by MadDemon64

    By that logic, the technology that powers open world games like Skyrim is also limited due to it requiring loading screens.


     

     

    Yes, that is correct.

    Um, you obviously do not understand the point of this post.  Skyrim runs on one of the most powerful game engines in existence (it needs to be in order to be an open world game), and even it can't avoid loading screens, despite it running on a more powerful gaming engine than Star Trek Online.  Loading screens are a universal fact of gaming.  Sometimes they take too long to load, but as I already stated, Skyrim, a game that uses a more powerful game engine than Star Trek Online, has loading screens that are LONGER than Star Trek Online.  In fact, an expansive open world is probably what makes Skyrim's loading screens so long, since ith as to load EVERYTHING.  Breaking up the game "world" into sections like they did in STO REDUCES the loading time, and therefore, the amount of time spent looking at a loading screen.

    Its game design 101.

    Since when is Tuesday a direction?

  • ShardWarriorShardWarrior New York, NYPosts: 290Member


    Originally posted by MadDemon64

    Um, you obviously do not understand the point of this post.  Skyrim runs on one of the most powerful game engines in existence (it needs to be in


     


    I understood it just fine. Perhaps you might want to go back through the thread again.


    A common nitpick/rant/complaint regarding the Cryptic engine is (and has been since the launch of City of Heroes) the overly extensive use of loading screens. Whether it be travelling from one section of Paragon City in CoH or warping from Sector to Sector in STO, there are an excessive amount of load screens in comparison to other MMOs (such as WoW).


    Yes, load screens are a universal aspect of MMOs. However, the extent they are required in a game makes a big difference to some.

  • MadDemon64MadDemon64 Maplewood, NJPosts: 1,099Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by ShardWarrior

     


     

    Originally posted by MadDemon64

    Um, you obviously do not understand the point of this post.  Skyrim runs on one of the most powerful game engines in existence (it needs to be in


     

     


    I understood it just fine. Perhaps you might want to go back through the thread again.


    A common nitpick/rant/complaint regarding the Cryptic engine is (and has been since the launch of City of Heroes) the overly extensive use of loading screens. Whether it be travelling from one section of Paragon City in CoH or warping from Sector to Sector in STO, there are an excessive amount of load screens in comparison to other MMOs (such as WoW).


    Yes, load screens are a universal aspect of MMOs. However, the extent they are required in a game makes a big difference to some.

     

    If you understood it just fine, then why did you intentionally leave out the important parts of my post in your response?

    Also, if it is as common as you claim it to be, how come nobody ever mentions it on the forums?  This might possibly the first time I ever saw anyone complaining about the load screens being too long (not including glitched load screens that never go away, as those are due to a bug and don't count).

    Since when is Tuesday a direction?

  • ShardWarriorShardWarrior New York, NYPosts: 290Member



    Originally posted by MadDemon64

    If you understood it just fine, then why did you intentionally leave out the important parts of my post in your response?



    Because it was not really relevant to the point.


    Originally posted by MadDemon64

    Also, if it is as common as you claim it to be, how come nobody ever mentions it on the forums? This might possibly the first time I ever saw anyone complaining about the load screens being too long (not including glitched load screens that never go away, as those are due to a bug and don't count).



    You never hearing about it does not mean it has never been discussed ad nauseum elsewhere. I have been playing City of Heroes since it launched and STO since BETA. The excessive load screens have been brought up numerous times on the forums for both games over the years. Also, someone mentioned them being annoying here in this very thread, so "nobody ever mentioning them" is not correct. Also, all it takes is a simple Google search to find information about the subject. Here is an article that discusses loading screens being a "deal breaker" when buying an MMO. You will note this article specifically mentions STO as having "heavily loaded" use of load screens. Google is your friend. I am sure you can find thousands more like this one on your own.


    Also, to some the length of the load time is not as bad as the amount of load screens. The Cryptic engine uses load screens very heavily. That is generally the complaint. Again, google the research.

  • ktanner3ktanner3 lakeland, FLPosts: 4,074Member Common
    Excessive loading screens has always been a complaint of this game.  I understand having them sector per sector, but this game even has them for simple acts like entering another room or stepping onto a fighting area. Most MMos now use phasing for things like that if needed.  It just becomes so annoying to hit a loading screen all the time and I was one who never cared about load screens until I played this game.  

    Currently Playing: Star Wars The Old Republic

Sign In or Register to comment.