Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria: Pandaria vs. Tyria

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

As the summer comes to a close we will see the release of Guild Wars 2 followed by World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria. In our latest WoW Factor, we take a look at the match up of the season. See what we think and then weigh in with your own comments.

This late summer and fall gets into the throws of one of the biggest MMO battles we have yet seen. Headstart for Guild Wars 2 begins on August 25th. Just one month later Blizzard throws down with Mists of Pandaria for World of Warcraft. Two juggernaut games going head to head and people still believe the MMO genre is going away. Really? I don’t want to spend this column stacking these two games up. You guys have all the details on both, you know the rules. You know the games. Instead I wanted to talk about the strategy behind this decision to put these two games so close to each other at launch.

Read more of Garrett Fuller's The WoW Factor: Pandaria vs. Tyria.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

OH NO!-  U DIDNT GO THERE!

• FaulknerFaulkner Member UncommonPosts: 108

Good Article!! 

I do believe the expansion to Warcraft will have a solid following, ther eis something in the air though, change and expectations and I think that is where GW2 will shine.  

Cheers,

Faulkner

• StriderXedStriderXed Member Posts: 257

I think GW2 needs to age just alittle bit more in order to compete with the all mighty WoW.

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

Aesthetically speaking, both Tyria and Pandaria have some amazingly beautiful worlds to explore based on their betas.  I was absolutely drawn into both games, getting a mystical yet ancient feeling within Pandaria, while also highly appreciating the artistic masterpiece that is Tyria.  It has been years since I felt like any games were really "alive", but both of these lands seem to bring out the "living world" feeling to levels yet unseen within the MMO landscape.

My favorite would have to be the Valley of Four Winds within WoW, though that's not considering the 20+ other zones in Guild Wars 2 that we have yet to see (in addition to also really liking the look of the Human Starting Area and Divinity's Reach).  The spirit of adventure was very much my companion with both of these betas, as I felt like I was playing open beta of Vanilla WoW two weeks prior to it's release all over again with both.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

<imo>

WoW will always stay on top because it's got the years under it's belt and it has staying power for it's subscriber base. The only thing that can topple WoW is WoW itself for now.

Players are just giddy on the new mmo on the block called GW2 and still remains to be seen if it will stay popular as months go by or when the honeymoon comes to the end. Will ANET keep pumping out content for GW2 as fast a subscription MMO also still remains to be seen, however since it's B2P, players will just hop in and out of the game while they play their other favortire mmo.

I will take advantage of the B2P method when I decide to play GW2, however I don't see me investing any money after I buy it since it has no subscription.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by coretex666

Regarding GW 2, I like it since it is a new fresh game. My intention is to get max lvl asap and then just grind WvWvW. I am not interested in anything else in that game to be honest.

You will be missing out on a lot of cool stuff.  I'm going to do the oposite.  Explore every nook and crany of the gameworld and will jump into WvW to satiate my pvp fix. 

However, even if you rush ahead like you say you will, the scaling down to match content will still make all of the content relevant to you.  IMO, that has got to be one of GW2 greatest feature....and WoW's biggest flaw.

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661

I commend you garrett for you're bravery! this will be interesting.

Personally I'm going to see how GW2 goes before I consider buying MOP, If GW is good and I feel it wont be another SWTOR scam after the first few weeks then I cant see me buying MOP.

I played WOW for a long time (9*85's 1*80) and just want something different now, MOP looks good and all but there really isn't anything different.

• ThaneUlfgarThaneUlfgar Member Posts: 283

I plan on playing both.

• tordurbartordurbar Member UncommonPosts: 421

I preorderd both games and will be playing both. The main difference between the two games is that there is no progression at end game in GW2. There is no gear grind in GW2 - by design. I respect that but I like the WOW route better - grind for better gear.

The other thing that will make my time in GW2 probably the same as SWTOR (3 months) is the downleveling. Being a noob I expect that around level 30 or 40 I will be more frustrated than having fun when fighting the pve mobs and decide to leave the game.

Still the most important thing about GW2 is the lack of a sub. Thus, I will drop out of GW2 after a while but I will return any time I want.

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    I'm going to play both, I think swtor f2p could be lumped into this too. I'm afraid of GW2 downed mechanics and replayablity with 10 minute bridge bashing, just have to wait and see, I won't be playing GW2 at launch, I will be playing mists at launch, and looks like swtor some too in November so.... GW2 for me was going to be a shoe in, but blizzard dropped the bomb again and I can sit back and wait and see now. As long as wow is still fun it may be 6 months or so till I get into GW2
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    It’s simple for me, been MMOing for 14 years and seen every change this industry has taken. The big one was 15 bucks a month was needed to cover server costs and now they are just a footnote in a quarterly meeting because it’s not really worth talking about. MMOs used to be designed from the ground up, now they are made with game engines, that cost money, but lower the production costs a lot and save time.

So where is our 15 bucks a month being used for? 500-1000% profit? DDO has proved that a fair cash shop can make lots of money and win lots of customers. GW1 made it’s with a B2P model that did not have a pay to win cash shop. In this current market and the changes to the MMO industry, 15 bucks a month is outrageous. 60 bucks gets me a full game and access to all the content and a cash shop that’s not pay to win, with GW2. Or buy a Blizzard expansion and 15 bucks a month? Naaaa GW2 wins. The game is quality. Best MMO out there? Could be but a MMO now days would have to offer me a lot more the a Panda expansion to get me to pay 15 bucks a month.    

Originally posted by Rockniss
    I'm going to play both, I think swtor f2p could be lumped into this too. I'm afraid of GW2 downed mechanics and replayablity with 10 minute bridge bashing, just have to wait and see, I won't be playing GW2 at launch, I will be playing mists at launch, and looks like swtor some too in November so.... GW2 for me was going to be a shoe in, but blizzard dropped the bomb again and I can sit back and wait and see now. As long as wow is still fun it may be 6 months or so till I get into GW2

Problem is SWToR F2P model is the same one SoE uses. You get access to only some of the content. You need to pay 15 bucks a month to get full access. No thanks. GW2, box price and full access to the game and the cash shop is not pay to win.

• AdelbernAdelbern Member Posts: 85
    Im going for GW2 new experience vs just another Wow expac same old experience.
  • xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    Anet is likely going to release paid expansions every 6-8 months like it did for GW1. Game updates aren't paid for by subs, they are paid for by investors and initial sales.

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• Draith77Draith77 Member Posts: 14
    WoW is getting old,  Bring on GW2 !!! The Next generation of MMO's !

Ok ok we all want world pvp wvw style, but I want everything else too, raids, dungeons, scenarios, bgs, arena, questing, farming mats, community, I want all of it, I think wow is the closest we have, I'm afraid GW2 wvw is just going to get old to quick for me. Wow does have some large scale battle going on, no its not 100vs 100, but pretty close the TB I was in yesterday had 65vs65 and there easy another 20 on 20 just outside of the TB raid zone, its there you just have to look, and furthermore all of these games are what you make them, want realm or faction pride? Then set an example, on my realm its not to hard to find it, For the Horde !!!
  • daydreamerxxdaydreamerxx Member UncommonPosts: 178

As much as I would love to see wow dethroned. It will never happen. Most people who play wow have never played any other game and never will. 

• ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265

Have played MoP beta and its dont offer nothing new really. only 2 good point; Monk class and AE loot 1 click.

What i really dislike is MoP music, its very asian style and i cant stand it. Also playing MoP beta i feeled like game devs believe every WoW player is very childish. I kinda feeled offended...

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053
    Originally posted by daydreamerxx

As much as I would love to see wow dethroned. It will never happen. Most people who play wow have never played any other game and never will. 

There is a lot of truth in this. Right now WoW feeds on its own inertia.

I imagine a lot of folks will play both though.

• QuicklyScottQuicklyScott Member Posts: 433

Neither, but if I had to choose I would go with MoP. 

Or when they do play other games, it just never lives up to everything wow has.
  • prpshrtprpshrt Member Posts: 258

I'm good as far as pandas go tyvm. DreamWorks gave me my fill. It doesn't matter that WC III had the idea first. They were introduced as a joke. And they should remain that way. If they wanted an asian theme to attract their new consumer base (China), they should have done something like what guild wars factions did with Cantha (asian continent in GW). Now THAT was an amazing asian inspired land.

Originally posted by DJJazzy
    Originally posted by daydreamerxx

There is a lot of truth in this. Right now WoW feeds on its own inertia.

I imagine a lot of folks will play both though.

I have played WoW since its launch. Its turned into a gear threadmill I am more then glad to get off of. I am sick of being locked out of content unless I spend lots of time raiding each tier. I like how GW2 lets you play any content as long as you have skill. So I get to see the entire game as a cuasual player. Also content is based of skill not your gear. IMO thats where the real fun is. I never want to say, I knew I was gona win that fight as soon as I saw what gear he was wearing. You a real PvPer? Then come to GW2 and prove it!!! My casual @$$ will teach you a thing or two.

I'm casual as,could be too, but I kind of like being the underdog because of my gear, then tearing up someone that is geared, could be because I'm an enhancement shaman though and I hit like a truck.
  • expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

End game

• Pandaria for PvE (Raiding with guild)
    • Tyria for PvP (hope I can get into an orginaised guild that work as a team)

Easy as that