Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Review] The Secret World: Funcom's Magnum Opus

Comments

• dougmysticeydougmysticey Member Posts: 1,176
    Originally posted by Ambros123
    Originally posted by tkoreaper
    Originally posted by cyress8
    Originally posted by vtravi

I love the game. One of the best MMo's I have played and I have played them all. The bugs are annoying and the crafting is usless so I think an 8.5 is right on.

I am not sure how people say there is not much content. I have played over 125 hours and I am not done with egypt yet. I have only finished 22% of the skill wheel. I guess if you look up hints online and rush through everything then it would go quick, but this is a different game. You are not supposed to just blow through the investigative missions. Several of them have taken me over 3 hours to complete. The most fun I have had in a MMO.

I mainly finished up with the game quickly because I was grouping with friends.  If you have 3- 4 people doing the investigation missions.  Do you think it will take that much time to finish them?  Playing the game like an mmo makes the game shorter.   If you do not repeat any missions you will also move through the content faster also.  The game only has about 400-500 missions.  With almost half being side missions that take a few minutes to complete.  If you do not believe me, go look at all the mission givers.  A majority only give 1 to 2 missions.  Some giving 3 to 5 and there are usually only 9 - 10 of them in each zone.  There are only 8 zones.  Add them up and see what you get.

I think you're forgetting the fact that the quests aren't as simple as accepting them, completing them, and then turning them in. the quests have SEVERAL steps/tiers. A lot of quests have 6 or more steps/tiers.

Which they are all collect this, collect that, kill that.  Steps and tiers mean nothing and can be argued as counter productive in an MMO unless your following a story.

They are? I must be playing a different version of TSW. I am well into Egypt now and while there are quests that are like that there are plently that are not.  Even as early as Kingsmouth there are plenty of quests that are no like that. Examples are: Something Wicked, Men in Black Vans, The one where you follow the crows, the one where you have to figure out how to fly a remote plane with a web cam over a location, the list goes on.

There are missions where you are searching for clues in total darkness trying to sneak around enemeies, there are missions where you need  to tail someone and listen in on private conversations or sneak into a hidden lair, there are missions were you have to avoid and disarm traps.

So, ulitmately, thare not all as you say, not even close.

• tkoreapertkoreaper Member UncommonPosts: 412
    Originally posted by thark

I love the game. One of the best MMo's I have played and I have played them all. The bugs are annoying and the crafting is usless so I think an 8.5 is right on.

I am not sure how people say there is not much content. I have played over 125 hours and I am not done with egypt yet. I have only finished 22% of the skill wheel. I guess if you look up hints online and rush through everything then it would go quick, but this is a different game. You are not supposed to just blow through the investigative missions. Several of them have taken me over 3 hours to complete. The most fun I have had in a MMO.

I mainly finished up with the game quickly because I was grouping with friends.  If you have 3- 4 people doing the investigation missions.  Do you think it will take that much time to finish them?  Playing the game like an mmo makes the game shorter.   If you do not repeat any missions you will also move through the content faster also.  The game only has about 400-500 missions.  With almost half being side missions that take a few minutes to complete.  If you do not believe me, go look at all the mission givers.  A majority only give 1 to 2 missions.  Some giving 3 to 5 and there are usually only 9 - 10 of them in each zone.  There are only 8 zones.  Add them up and see what you get.

I think you're forgetting the fact that the quests aren't as simple as accepting them, completing them, and then turning them in. the quests have SEVERAL steps/tiers. A lot of quests have 6 or more steps/tiers.

Which they are all collect this, collect that, kill that.  Steps and tiers mean nothing and can be argued as counter productive in an MMO unless your following a story.

You are "clueless" sorry, but YOU are following a story, thats why the tiers are there for..and yes a magnitude of the quest can be described as you said,, you HAVE to care for the TSW lore or you only will only end up describing it like this..

If you walz in and play TSW just like "any other MMO" i think you will get dissapointed, you can do that, but it will only make you confused ..There is a reason behind NOT letting you take more than a couple of quests at a time for instance..

I think his comment just comes down to a "learn to play" issue. It's not so much about knowing how to use your character or move around... that's not what i mean about play. The true definition of "learn to play" is, to be blunt, learn to have fun or enjoy what you have. The user clearly doesn't care about the game itself and only wished to be rushed through or have their hand held to get to the end. This game has no place for those kinds of people.

• TheAncientTheAncient Member Posts: 67

Originally posted by TheAncient

And how is that any different to any other MMO out there? You have to complete story quests in SWTOR to get out of the starter areas, same with playing a DK in WoW - all 46 quests in that one.

If you'd actually play TSW, you'd know the questing is far from being similar to WoW or any other game for that matter.

I bought it & played it. It's the first MMO I've stopped playing before the first months paid subscription kicked in. I still have paid time on the game until the 11th.

TSW is one of the most underwhelming, clunky, bug ridden games I've played in a long, long time. It's too short and derivative to be a single player game, and a broken chat sytem does not make an MMO. 

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877

You are "clueless" sorry, but YOU are following a story, thats why the tiers are there for..and yes a magnitude of the quest can be described as you said,, you HAVE to care for the TSW lore or you only will only end up describing it like this..

If you walz in and play TSW just like "any other MMO" i think you will get dissapointed, you can do that, but it will only make you confused ..There is a reason behind NOT letting you take more than a couple of quests at a time for instance..

Not so clueless as to know it has no more story than the quests in WoW just without the voiceacting.  While the story concept is nice it get's old quick.  My biggest gripe with this whole story driven mechanic is that it makes players isolated and was one of the pitfalls of SWTOR.  People come to an MMO to play an MMO, not a single player game with CoOp features.  That is the impression TSW left in me.

I'm a converted DE supporter so no matter what I will likely never see the old quest mechanics in a good light anymore.

• AtrusHomeboyAtrusHomeboy Member Posts: 28

Originally posted by Fadedbomb
    ADDING LOADS OF BLANK LINES TO MY POST WILL SURELY MAKE MY ARGUING POINTS MORE CREDIBLE

PROTIP: it doesn't. Not flamebaiting whatsoever, just making a point.

• MaitraderMaitrader Member UncommonPosts: 389

The only gripe I have with TSW is it needs more pvp options. However the game is stunning. People who dont like it usually tend to be extremely biased, cartoony graphic  loving,  easy-mode based MMO player. I am having a hard time myself convincing my guildies to start a division in GW2. At first, everyone was down with the idea, but now? not so much... we are all in our 30s and up... We have all gamed for 15+ years, we have done it all, and love doing it.. theres got to be more to my guild wanting to focus on TSW.. not because it sucks, but because its good? all I see here is just sheer hate for a successful product lol.

I think his comment just comes down to a "learn to play" issue. It's not so much about knowing how to use your character or move around... that's not what i mean about play. The true definition of "learn to play" is, to be blunt, learn to have fun or enjoy what you have. The user clearly doesn't care about the game itself and only wished to be rushed through or have their hand held to get to the end. This game has no place for those kinds of people.

Ahhh yes, the people who will try to discredit anyone who differs in opinion to their game.  Not I did not rush through all the quests and actually sat through the voiceacting and listened to the story.  Like I said, the game does well in the story dept but the quests down to it's core are the same old quests that people are tired of.  TSW did the same spinoff SWTOR did on quests.

Not so clueless as to know it has no more story than the quests in WoW just without the voiceacting.  While the story concept is nice it get's old quick.  My biggest gripe with this whole story driven mechanic is that it makes players isolated and was one of the pitfalls of SWTOR.  People come to an MMO to play an MMO, not a single player game with CoOp features.  That is the impression TSW left in me.

I'm a converted DE supporter so no matter what I will likely never see the old quest mechanics in a good light anymore.

News flash, FFXI 2 is not coming out... the days of old force grouping is over. People simply have jobs. The option to team is very much there... but if you dont want to or have the time to, the game allows you to do that. SWTOR cinematics were stale and the quests attached to them sucked. To say that SWTOR and TSW are similar is laughable

• tkoreapertkoreaper Member UncommonPosts: 412

Something I'd like to point out which I feel needs to be said. I feel that SWTOR is a single player game first and foremost... which was a huge turnoff for me. However, I strongly feel that TSW isn't the same. In SWTOR, the story was centered around you... YOU were the hero or villian... YOU made the decisions (As insignificant as they were)... You could play the game entirely solo and learn the whole story. The same can't be said about TSW... The stories told in the dungeons are immense and the zones can be difficult enough to need groups. That can't be said about SWTOR.

In SWTOR, you're the savior or villain... In TSW, you're working together with the other factions/players to solve and fight back an epidemic that has struck the world.

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

Not seeing a whole lot of positive feedback here, which is surprising to me.  It's not that I view this game as good, it's just that there seemed to be a cult following at start, which has probably been extinguished by time.

Interesting.

My own time with this game is only from the beta experiences, of which I wasn't a fan.  It may be that I was hoping for too much with the game, as I was keeping track of it since 2008 when funcom sent me an email since I had a AoC account.

Though the biggest con of all is perhaps the dreaded three -- Box price, subscription, in-game microtransaction cash shop.  This saddened me a great deal; I would've been fine if it were some pets or an occassional mount that was exclusively on their website (and especially if some income went to charity!), though having the eye sore that is a cash shop inside a game that I pay monthly for is absolutely unforgivable to me (especially since it feels like I don't get the content I pay for with the box price/sub fee since so much is available via the cash shop).

Sad face.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

For one, this was not right up there with GW2 in anticipation lol. Far from it, but it was up on the list at least. 

It's going to do okay coming out of the gates but it will have a quick and sharp decline not to long after. It offers a lot of unique ideas but it's not near polished enough, unique enough, aesthetically appealing enough, or mainstream enough to have much longevity or significant impact on the MMO genre. We know it, you know it, they know it. 

The ante for MMO's has been upped, not because of GW2 or anyone game but by a string of bad unfinished, unpolished games to come down the assembly line. 

And for the record, Polish does not simply mean getting all the bugs worked out. It's about fluidness and smoothness aswell. TSW still feels a bit overly clunky to call it polished. It's in good working order, but it's not exactly what I would label polished just yet. 

Originally posted by dougmysticey

They are? I must be playing a different version of TSW. I am well into Egypt now and while there are quests that are like that there are plently that are not.  Even as early as Kingsmouth there are plenty of quests that are no like that. Examples are: Something Wicked, Men in Black Vans, The one where you follow the crows, the one where you have to figure out how to fly a remote plane with a web cam over a location, the list goes on.

There are missions where you are searching for clues in total darkness trying to sneak around enemeies, there are missions where you need  to tail someone and listen in on private conversations or sneak into a hidden lair, there are missions were you have to avoid and disarm traps.

So, ulitmately, thare not all as you say, not even close.

While there might be a few quests that are intresting and unusual buy by far and large the follow the same quest mechanics.  And no, Kingsmound was not drastically different in quest mechancis.  80-90% were go here go there, kill this collect that to the point where it was giving me flashbacks of SWTOR.

Great story, tiresome mechanics.

• IamAproposIamApropos Member Posts: 173

Though I agree that TSW has an amazing story, world, and lore as soon as I read the rating and review of Game Play...: 

"What I found is that the longer I played The Secret World, the less I noticed any combat weirdness. Since movement is integral to success in battle, I quickly came to appreciate what Funcom did for my girl. As time went on, I discovered that combat was both fun and thought-provoking. It’s not enough to stand and fire. You need to get on your roller skates to bring down monsters. Having to think is refreshing (and thinking is pretty much the only way you'll survive all TSW has to offer)."   

I quickly realized this review was extremely bias and not worth continueing to read a drooling fanboish/girlish write up.    If you watch akamikeb's video of the game you can see that Character animation as well as combat animations are a HUGE.... HUGE pile of crap in this game and for a gigantic amount of gamers a even bigger problem and are not by any means overshadowed by the great things in this game.   I feel Suzie Ford is misrepresenting how bad this really is and mitigating it which to me is extremely bad for a reviewer to do and those of us who know better can see straight through it..  This in my eyes and I'm sure in many discredits not only Suzie Ford but also MMORPG.com for allowing such reviews.

The thing you spend 90% of the time doing in any video game, moving , combat and such is the worst part of this game.   You feel as if your character is pulled out of a late 90's grand theft auto video game and placed in an amazing world.... Absolutely breaks immresion.    To watch someone review the game and mitigate such a horrible character game play is going to become a laughing joke.  

I don't care if promises are of how they will change the combat animations and movement animations, they also made those promises in Beta by saying they are removing the "place holders" and NOTHING changed so please take off the rose colored glasses and write a true review without mitigating the bad...  Though this seems to be a common problem here because the same thing happened with the review of TERA. So maybe we just can't take reviews seriously from MMORPG.com anymore until some changes are made.

IamApropos
    See where adventure will lead you!
    My PC Specs:
    i5-3570k oc'ed @4.2GHz
    8GB 1600 RAM
    GTX670 oc'ed @ 1.25Ghz
    Samsung 830 SSD.

• ShaikeShaike Member UncommonPosts: 301

i dont know what to tell you guys - this is just another SWTOR clone to me and i will explain -

you go and do your quests. Yes - you can have limited amount of quests at a time - but still the same. This is exacly like WOW or SWTOR (which is WOW with a story twist).

Horrible combat mechanics (animations, and everything actually related to combat).

You cannot roll an alt - WELL actually you can but then you are doing the same game all over again (SWTOR again???!!!)

and once last thing about the "weel" - YES there are manay manay combinations - but you still have the "trinity" to think about (DPS, Tank, Heal) and most combinations just suck!!!!! So what happens is you play around with it a bit and find "your" best combination and stay with it without the need to change it ever after that point....

and dont get me started on the "dungeons" - which bear no impact on anything else happening in the game...

Sorry - this will be F2P once they start losing money - give it a few months and you will see - i give it till Jan maybe Fab 2013... no more

Sorry :-)

Just my 2 cents...

• blackhawkzzblackhawkzz Member Posts: 53

Really nice review gives the game what it deservers alot of people are slating it from there impressions from the first beta weekend which lacked the polish it has now. The game is definetly not perfect and funcom have some work to do but this game has such a massive potential one of the first mainstream non-fantasy/sci-fi mmo.

Can't wait to see what the next updates brings and lets hope they squash those bugs :)

• Longevity?  Yeah, right.  That's why there's been a slew of "I'm bored" posts all over the general forums the past couple of weeks even from MMO players that aren't "locusts".

It's basically a one and done MMO.  Even TOR has more replayability (shocking).  At least with TOR you have two different factions to play through and different class quests to at least give incentive to replay the game. 

Not so much in TSW.  Each of the 3 factions go to the same zones and complete the same quest lines.  The only exception to that is the occasional mission unlocked from your faction HQ after achieving a certain rank and the missions between each area of the world you travel to.

The skill system really is not that deep despite what some may think.  You can only place 7 actives and 7 passives at a time into "decks" using 2 weapons at any given time.  However the real problem is that it all plays exactly the same.

You spam a builder to get 5 resources then hit your 2 weapon finishers.  That's it.  Now, imagine doing that on later mobs in Transylvania that have an upwards of 20k HPs . . .

You will have a couple other abilities (3-4) that might give you a temporary defense buff or a heal (but a lot of the heals still use build/consume).  Oh, but I can make an Assault Rifle/Fist build or I can make a Shotgun/Hammer build.  Both play the same.  Only real difference is single target vs. AoE damage.

The system, however, does shine when it comes to actually switching roles in the game.  Being able to be a tank, healer, or DPS depending on your mood that day.  You're just going to need a lot more Ability Points to unlock all of those skills to properly do it. 

Not to worry, however, because you can repeat the same missions you have done (most of them, anyway) to get the needed AP.  They do have 18 hours - 3 day cooldown period on repeating them.

The story is pretty good and the investigation missions is where the game shines, but they can also be annoying as well either requiring you to learn Arabic symbols or Morse Code to decipher them (or merely cheat and Google the answer).

I had "finished" the game at about 3 days /played.  The current end game consists of farming instances for purple loot or repeating the quests to grind AP you need for other builds/roles.

You could also participate in lackluster PvP.  I was initially excited about Fusang Projects (a 3 ways 75v75v75 persistent battle ground with territorial control) but that gets boring after a while because everyone just plays "musical keeps" to get quest completion.

A farcry from the hopes of another pseudo DAoC PvP experience that I was remotely dreaming of.  But, hey, that's my bad.

They have promised to release monthly content patches and 1.1 added a handful of quests (some that were already finished in beta but removed from the game prior to launch).

I'll keep my eye on the game throughout the months and years and perhaps one day I will return to it when it is more polished and completed and add more zones to the game to adventure in.  Currently there are only 3 areas in the game world each with 2-3 zones each.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Well they are right in line with their community. Well done MMORPG!

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • blackhawkzzblackhawkzz Member Posts: 53
    Originally posted by Lugoves

I had "finished" the game at about 3 days /played.  The current end game consists of farming instances for purple loot or repeating the quests to grind AP you need for other builds/roles.

Maybe you finished the story quest but there's no way you finished the game.

• Originally posted by blackhawkzz

Originally posted by Lugoves

Maybe you finished the story quest but there's no way you finished the game.

True, but I didn't want to grind dungeons for purple gear and lost interest in making other builds by that point because it all plays too much the same.  My skill wheel was about 50% completed.

Originally posted by Yaevindusk
    Though the biggest con of all is perhaps the dreaded three -- Box price, subscription, in-game microtransaction cash shop.  This saddened me a great deal; I would've been fine if it were some pets or an occassional mount that was exclusively on their website (and especially if some income went to charity!), though having the eye sore that is a cash shop inside a game that I pay monthly for is absolutely unforgivable to me (especially since it feels like I don't get the content I pay for with the box price/sub fee since so much is available via the cash shop).

Sad face.

Its called "Business" and knowing your overhead to stay "afloat"... Anet is VERY VERY lucky to have NCsoft own them.. if it didnt, they wouldnt be in business lol :) So many people are spoiled rotten with the F2P model, lest they know that it equals out to the same amount of cash dished out be it f2p (which really is p2w) or the subscription based model which is never going to be P2W..

• KnightblastKnightblast Member UncommonPosts: 1,787

The game is enjoyable for what it is, but it isn't a long-lasting MMORPG.

The current trend in MMORPG design appears to be to incorporate more single-player game elements into them:  story-telling, platforming, puzzle solving, and so on.  The kinds of things that generally are very single-player in content.  I think that the theory is that there aren't really "MMO gamers" but just "gamers" and people like these mechanics from other games, so will like an MMO that features them.

The problem with that approach is that unlike single-player games, MMOs like TSW require a subscription fee, and therefore people will be interested in playing them for a longer period of time in order to justify that fee.  Single player oriented design elements don't facilitate this at all.  That was what went wrong in TOR, and it's what's going wrong in TSW.  The game is fun to play, for a while.  It doesn't have the staying power of a subecription-based MMORPG -- that is the issue, and the main problem with the review above.  MMOs should be graded substantially down for not having a lot of longevity to them.

Originally posted by Shaike

i dont know what to tell you guys - this is just another SWTOR clone to me and i will explain -

you go and do your quests. Yes - you can have limited amount of quests at a time - but still the same. This is exacly like WOW or SWTOR (which is WOW with a story twist).

Horrible combat mechanics (animations, and everything actually related to combat).

You cannot roll an alt - WELL actually you can but then you are doing the same game all over again (SWTOR again???!!!)

and once last thing about the "weel" - YES there are manay manay combinations - but you still have the "trinity" to think about (DPS, Tank, Heal) and most combinations just suck!!!!! So what happens is you play around with it a bit and find "your" best combination and stay with it without the need to change it ever after that point....

and dont get me started on the "dungeons" - which bear no impact on anything else happening in the game...

Sorry - this will be F2P once they start losing money - give it a few months and you will see - i give it till Jan maybe Fab 2013... no more

Sorry :-)

OMG, we have now replaced WoW Clone with TOR Clone? Wow!

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661

A fair review in my opinion, if anything I think it should have got a higher mark for creativity but all the rest seem inline.

I still wonder how SWTOR managed to get a higher review score though ^-^

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990

Eh...I love this game but 8.5 seems high to me. Just too many kinks that still need to be worked out and longevity is questionable with the game due to the story themed element.

I would give it a 7.5 personally. Still that review made some good points about the pros and cons of the game.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

Haters gonna hate, fans gonna fan.

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.