Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Review] The Secret World: Funcom's Magnum Opus

Comments

• SvarcanumSvarcanum Member UncommonPosts: 425
    Right on the money. Agree with the score.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

I agree with the review, however I would have scored TSW as an 8.0 for one reason only: universal appeal.

TSW is an excellent game, but it will not appeal to the "average" gamer. Compared to the current crop of themepark MMO's, the game is simply too hard. Because there are no pre-defined classes, it places all the responsibility for character building and skill selection squarely on the player, and many people will not like that.

There have already been a few players who have quit TSW because they found the game too "hard", which is something you rarely see on MMO forums these days. The only other game that I've seen where that's happened is EVE-Online. Of course, many other players claim they quit because the game is "too easy", but that's a common complaint in most modern MMO's.

The investigation and sabotage missions are really good, and are a very refreshing take on MMO quests. But many people will not enjoy them and will just google a walkthrough video on YouTube. That would mean they skipped one of the highlights of the game, and it will have a significant impact on their overall appreciation of the game.

If you like rich lore, good story and a beautifully crafted game world that requires you to THINK, you will love TSW. If you play through as fast as possible with your eye fixed on the "endgame", you will hate TSW.

• tkoreapertkoreaper Member UncommonPosts: 412
    Originally posted by Fadedbomb

None of your scores make sense.

Aesthetics – 9.5??

How in the bloody hell did you find it "ok" to take what essentially boils down to "Graphics" and turn it into a major scoring point for TSW? Graphics =/= a game. This shouldn't be a scoring point!

Because people care about graphics and eyecandy. The interface is actually very nice and unlike any game I've played. Aesthetics isn't just about graphics.

Game Play – 8.5??

This is a highly opinion based score area given the fact that people whom like WoW will like TSW's gameplay, but generally speaking people whom like DAOC, EQ, SWG, or even Age of Conan's combat system will dislike it immensely. You should put near the beginning of your article which game you mostly relate to for your scores. Obviously I don't agree at all with an "8.5" given TSW's horribly clunky & non-intuitive combat system. Not to mention the horrible animations.

TSW's gameplay isn't like WoW's

Value & Longevity – 8.0??

Your primary reason, as stated, for this scoring point was based on SWTOR's recent announcement about F2P and that since TSW already has a cash-shop it'll make a clean transition to F2P should subs prove to dip too low?!

Value & Longevity is a scoring point, in most reviews, that dictate replayability & end-game enjoyment. At the VERY LEAST it has nothing to do with the payment model associated with the game.

NONE OF THE POINTS YOU RAISED FOR SCORING MAKE ANY SENSE AS A PRIMARY REVIEWBASE!

I think he covered all the aspects people care about in a game quite well. What more were you expectign from this review?

Next, we look at your overall Pros/Cons that have zero connection to any of your previous scoring points:

Pros

image Deep skill system - Just a facade, not actually "deep"
    Explain please... It's pretty deep to me, there are hundreds of abilities and combinations to choose from. It was to the point of being overwhelming for me in the beginning... If that's not deep then I would love to know what is.

image GREAT story - Agreed, but so did SWTOR
    IMO, SWTOR's story was mediocre at best... It didn't hook me like TSW's has.

image Meaningful dungeons - How exactly are they "meaningful", they have no impact at all on the world outside those instances?!
    There are many ways for things to be meaningful. The dungeons are extremely fun and are teeming with story/lore. I personally almost creamed myself after running the Polaris dungeon for the first time.

image Tiered and unique questing - Same quest system used by WoW. Go to point A get quests 1 - 9, do quests, go to Point B for higher tiered/chained quests. Nothing unique here other than the occassional "gem" with a half-decent story behind it.

It's extremely obvious you've never played this game. Questing is definitely done more by exploring than anything... there's no real set path from what I've seen so far. WoW doesn't have investigation quests where you actually HAVE to think and solve. There are very few "kill" quests.

Cons

image Lack of initial character customization - Yup
    I think more emphesis needs to be put on "INITIAL" because the customization is definitely there.

image Lackluster PvP - Yup
    Maps can be fun and interesting and requires some strategy/teamwork. The game's combat is what holds it back... But I have seen much worse.

image Repetitive trash mobs - Yep

This I don't agree with. While there may be a lot of particular mobs, they're mainly zone specific. The reviewer's complaints about aggro have yet to be witness myself, then again some people are just terrible at judging aggro ranges. 

• tharkthark Member UncommonPosts: 1,188
    Originally posted by toddze

Well I am of the biggest funcom critics out there but in 1 aspect it time to give credit where credit is due. I will admitt Funcom did a good job with the launch, much better than their other 2 games. So basiacally I was wrong folks. It happens every once in a while.

I had 2 major concerns about this game, Launch being one of my main concers (which I already addressed), longevity was the other.

However, this game has no real longevity 8.0 is a joke.  Just another classic example of a honeymoon write up. Its just another 60-90 day mmo.

I am not even going to address the other points, because basically this author is the same one who gave SWTOR insane high marks in every category. He/She has no business writting up reviews, has absolutly 0 credability. When I read a review I do not want to read a mother %^&*$%^ sales pitch! I want to know good points of a game and bad points of a game. Once upon a time this site did a decent job on its reviews, gave you the good and the bad, and not lie to you saying everything was great.

I think the DAYS are over where a newly released MMO's will last for a year  on content that is in at release..Don't blame FUNCOM blame the market.

As the new standard format for MMO's the longevity has to be measured compared to other modern MMO's not Everquest at release..those days are gone ..Even if you and I dislikes it or not.

• RudedawgCDNRudedawgCDN Member UncommonPosts: 507

I wish reviewers actually played games for a month before reviewing.

The BAD...

Crafting and inventory management - terrible - hate it.

Banking / AH only in London - terrible idea - hate it.

Building 5 resource counters for combat - terrible - hate it.

Gear manager doesn't work, forgets settings.

Open skill sytem - not really - very disappointed.

Interesting skills? - no very disappointed.

PVP sucks.

No lfg tool. LFG Spam is brutal

The Good...

5 mans are awesome!

Quests are awesome!

Skill deck although bland and fairly restrictive, is deep and really makes you think to put together a build with synergy.

Mobs have great AI.

Death system handled well.

Great story.

Verdict - I'll be playing GW2

• marz.at.playmarz.at.play Member UncommonPosts: 912

Good write up. I love the game and personally would have given it an 8/10. Nice read. Thank you.

• TheAncientTheAncient Member Posts: 67

My wife thought it looked like Half Life 2, and the game, ahem, "borrows" a cut scene of being dragged semi conscious between two grunts in the Illuminati beginner area from the original Half Life.

The story work is ripped off from every horror book and film out there, and even the zombies are straight from Scooby Doo.

Innovation? I'm sure they heard of it.

Originally posted by TheAncient

My wife thought it looked like Half Life 2, and the game, ahem, "borrows" a cut scene of being dragged semi conscious between two grunts in the Illuminati beginner area from the original Half Life.

The story work is ripped off from every horror book and film out there, and even the zombies are straight from Scooby Doo.

You showed some serious innovation when you created your name.

Seriously, ANY game/movie/whatever can be picked apart and looked at the same way you just did.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by cyress8
    Originally posted by vtravi

I love the game. One of the best MMo's I have played and I have played them all. The bugs are annoying and the crafting is usless so I think an 8.5 is right on.

I am not sure how people say there is not much content. I have played over 125 hours and I am not done with egypt yet. I have only finished 22% of the skill wheel. I guess if you look up hints online and rush through everything then it would go quick, but this is a different game. You are not supposed to just blow through the investigative missions. Several of them have taken me over 3 hours to complete. The most fun I have had in a MMO.

I mainly finished up with the game quickly because I was grouping with friends.  If you have 3- 4 people doing the investigation missions.  Do you think it will take that much time to finish them?  Playing the game like an mmo makes the game shorter.   If you do not repeat any missions you will also move through the content faster also.  The game only has about 400-500 missions.  With almost half being side missions that take a few minutes to complete.  If you do not believe me, go look at all the mission givers.  A majority only give 1 to 2 missions.  Some giving 3 to 5 and there are usually only 9 - 10 of them in each zone.  There are only 8 zones.  Add them up and see what you get.

I see your problem, the game really wasn't designed for grouping with that many, sure you can do it, but you're right, you will end up facerolling the content and not finding much challenge. Try doing it solo and you'll come away with much longer playing times, (I'm much like vtravi)

I have in fact grouped up with folks on a few occasions, and it did turn all the missions into quick burn down sessions, especially since my groupmates knew exactly where everything was and as a team we just rolled over everything.

It is faster, I'll grant you that, but wasn't particularly fun, I find it much more challenging to try and complete the missions as they were largely designed, for the solo player.(or perhaps with one other)

Guess I'd better go read the review so I can comment on it., but just on my own personal grading scale this is a solid 7 to 7.5.

(and no, SWTOR didn't deserve the high marks it go, but no reason to pad up this score because of it)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877
    Originally posted by tkoreaper

You showed some serious innovation when you created your name.

Seriously, ANY game/movie/whatever can be picked apart and looked at the same way you just did.

Well considering how the whole concept of how "everything is true" concept, how can you not expect some heavy "borrowing."

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

Great review, I gave the the game a 8/10 which it deserves in my book.

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373

Everyone has an opinion, plain and simple.  Some will agree and some won't.   I truly wish if you're going to comment on what is right or rong with the game, you would have at least played the game.  Some of the comments on here are made by people that obviously have either played very little or not played the game at all.   Adding misinformation just to  boost your own ego is immature and unprodductive to the legitimate conversations occuring in this and other threads.

I love the game. One of the best MMo's I have played and I have played them all. The bugs are annoying and the crafting is usless so I think an 8.5 is right on.

I am not sure how people say there is not much content. I have played over 125 hours and I am not done with egypt yet. I have only finished 22% of the skill wheel. I guess if you look up hints online and rush through everything then it would go quick, but this is a different game. You are not supposed to just blow through the investigative missions. Several of them have taken me over 3 hours to complete. The most fun I have had in a MMO.

I mainly finished up with the game quickly because I was grouping with friends.  If you have 3- 4 people doing the investigation missions.  Do you think it will take that much time to finish them?  Playing the game like an mmo makes the game shorter.   If you do not repeat any missions you will also move through the content faster also.  The game only has about 400-500 missions.  With almost half being side missions that take a few minutes to complete.  If you do not believe me, go look at all the mission givers.  A majority only give 1 to 2 missions.  Some giving 3 to 5 and there are usually only 9 - 10 of them in each zone.  There are only 8 zones.  Add them up and see what you get.

I think you're forgetting the fact that the quests aren't as simple as accepting them, completing them, and then turning them in. the quests have SEVERAL steps/tiers. A lot of quests have 6 or more steps/tiers.

That cutscenes isn't a cutscene in that sence , It's just there to tell you that you have failed in the mission..It's what half a second.. !! How can you picture this diffrently --lol

And yes it "borrows" from every horror story, but it's still innovation..I totally comvinced NO ONE can write a story belonging to any genre without borrowing from existing fiction..there is no such thing..It's even talked about when describing the game that it's highly influenced by HP Lovecraft and King etc etc..

Originally posted by Sankiri

Finally a review that gives the game the score it so rightfully deserves. 

Those of you that say "other" sites give the game 7'ish grade, should look up what grades those sites gave to other MMO's (not to name names) and compare. 7 is a shitty score based on todays standards among reviewers. 

SWTOR should NOT be a 9/10 if TSW is a 7/10!!!

7 is a shitty score only to those who must play the best MMOs.  7 is a decent score and an okayish MMO.

Also it was discussed heavily and everyone agreed that reviewms mean absolute crap and are often paid off reviews.  How do you think SWTOR got such high reviews?  They were either directly or indirectly paid reviews.

8.5 seems to reflect what users are saying about the game from metacritic.  So fanbois need to simmer down and accept that it's not all this and that.

I think you're forgetting the fact that the quests aren't as simple as accepting them, completing them, and then turning them in. the quests have SEVERAL steps/tiers. A lot of quests have 6 or more steps/tiers.

Which they are all collect this, collect that, kill that.  Steps and tiers mean nothing and can be argued as counter productive in an MMO unless your following a story.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

I know nothing about this game (almost) - so I was interested in the Gameplay > Combat > skill system etc and the reveiw did not really give me much indication of how good it is standalone and how good it is compared to it's nearest rival? Not interested in playing the game, but interested in what the devs have come up with for the core gameplay and what they've done well, added to the mix of mmorpg combat in general?

Originally posted by Ambros123

Which they are all collect this, collect that, kill that.  Steps and tiers mean nothing and can be argued as counter productive in an MMO unless your following a story.

Each individual quest HAS a story... And even the quest givers themselves have a story! What about the investigation missions? Or the missions that involve using the crafting system intuitively to create items. I really think people aren't given the quests in this game the recognition they deserve.

• TheAncientTheAncient Member Posts: 67

<snipped>

And how is that any different to any other MMO out there? You have to complete story quests in SWTOR to get out of the starter areas, same with playing a DK in WoW - all 46 quests in that one.

• NethermancerNethermancer Member Posts: 520

bad biased review

i like TSW but terrible pvp terrible ui shallow crafting average combat

this game deserves a 7 and no higher

Playing: PO, EVE
    Waiting for: WoD
    Favourite MMOs: VG, EVE, FE and DDO
    Any person who expresses rage and loathing for an MMO is preposterous. He or she is like a person who has put on full armor and attacked a hot fudge sundae.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

Its a good game no doubt. Higher score than I would have given it though. Purely as a game its like a 7.5 maybe 8. In the context of an MMO, which needs to have a good reason for me to pay a sub its like a 6 or less for me.

Just like TOR I will wait for it to go f2p so I can go through the story once and put it on the shelf, basically like a single player rpg. I highly doubt they will have enough high quality content to keep it fresh and the only other non developer driven content is pvp which in this game is horrible IMO.

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351

While im loving TSW at the moment, i find the use of a scoring system which tries to predict how well this game will do in the future fundimentally flawed.

TSW is an amaaing game currently, anyone with a top end PC will tell you that the graphics and atmospherics are simply amazing and unparalelled in mmo's.

However, as has been said over and over, TSW is a linear story driven themepark mmorpg and many players have already completed it's entire release content and are now treading water in the nightmare dungeons and pvp waiting for the "huge content updates" Funcom have promised. The success of the game depends entirely on regular content updates and the first update, the big one, the one that should set the trend was woefully small. 7 new missions...7...2 existing dungeons made available as Nightmare mode....the addition of an auction house....and....thats pretty much all folks. Most have completed that entire content update already, 3-4 days (only playing casually and im done). Now what? Answer? There is nothing much to do now except complete the skill wheel (which im getting close to completing) and grind out some more gear....which i don't need and pay the unusually high subs fee for the privaledge.

8.5 on first month content, ok.

Currently? With no content left? Definitely can't be an 8.5 im afraid.

Cancelled my sub, not because i don't like TSW, let me be clear, i LOVE TSW, but there is nothing left to do. I'll be back when they add the promised content, sorry Funcom, but as predicted, you have failed so far to provide the one thing your game desperately needs. Im not surprised, it's a massive promise to try and keep, but i wonder why they made it knowing they couldn't fulfil that promise.

Like many others im left hoping the tiny content update was due to them concentrating on the AH and the next one will be far more substantial, a full sized complete new zone is the least they should be aiming for to retain subs.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

You are "clueless" sorry, but YOU are following a story, thats why the tiers are there for..and yes a magnitude of the quest can be described as you said,, you HAVE to care for the TSW lore or you only will only end up describing it like this..

If you walz in and play TSW just like "any other MMO" i think you will get dissapointed, you can do that, but it will only make you confused ..There is a reason behind NOT letting you take more than a couple of quests at a time for instance..

And how is that any different to any other MMO out there? You have to complete story quests in SWTOR to get out of the starter areas, same with playing a DK in WoW - all 46 quests in that one.

If you'd actually play TSW, you'd know the questing is far from being similar to WoW or any other game for that matter.

Each individual quest HAS a story... And even the quest givers themselves have a story! What about the investigation missions? Or the missions that involve using the crafting system intuitively to create items. I really think people aren't given the quests in this game the recognition they deserve.

SWTOR had great stroy also to their quests and saw how that ended.  Story means nothing when the quest themselves are the exact same ol' same ol'.  After a while people get bored of yet another story and just wanted to get the xp or AP or whatever.  About halfway through Kingsmound I was jsut "hurry up and give me the quest."  The problem I had was it was too solo and isolates the player which gave me flashbacks of SWTOR.  A CoOp game nore than an MMO.