Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What Titan will be.

Comments

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

Something like Second LIfe with better graphics and scripting language

• UOvetUOvet Member Posts: 514
    Originally posted by suu141

They should just make a World of Starcraft or Starcraft Universe, name alone will prolly sell billions.

..and turn out sucking penis like Diablo 3.

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877
    Originally posted by benit59

The only reason I hold out any hope for this game is because of two people -- Rob Pardo and Jeff Kaplan. These two guys understand the genre and were instrumental in the success of World of Warcraft. Unfortunately, the great game design of WoW has gone a bit sour due to the business model.

People talk about World of Warcraft like it wasn't revolutionary--- like it was a fluke or some sort of mass hysteria that caused it to become the most successful MMO of all time. People claimed that Blizzard didn't do anything special besides take what they liked from other games and kind of mash them all together. World of Warcraft may not have been inventive, but it was innovative in the fact that it made the genre accessible. It simplified the concepts of MMO's and delivered it to consumers in a much more digestable fashion than its predecessors.

Now the genre has become so popular and replicated that we take the mechanics and systems of these games for granted. Game designers keep regurgitating the same UI elements, skill systems, and combat/encounter mechanics without actually making them any better (with rare exceptions). WoW created a kind of standard model. It is and probably always be the baseline for MMORPG game systems and mechanics.

My hope for Titan is that Pardo and Kaplan take the maturity of the genre into consideration and break new ground in terms of game systems. I think the time has come to start adding complexity to MMO's and break the trend of designer's desire to increase what they call "accessibilty"

I don't think people refer to WoW's fluke being associated with mass hysteria but on the basis of success.  People constantly try to compare games success to WoW's which will only shadow in WoWs success.  Hell even GW2 will only shadow in WoW's success.  The amount of WoW's success was a fluke, very rarely in time and only on very rare occasions does something have the amount of success of WoW and not seen again in one's lifetime.  At least thats what the fluke is to me in anycase.

• AtibraAtibra Member Posts: 65
    Originally posted by Ambros123
    Originally posted by benit59

The only reason I hold out any hope for this game is because of two people -- Rob Pardo and Jeff Kaplan. These two guys understand the genre and were instrumental in the success of World of Warcraft. Unfortunately, the great game design of WoW has gone a bit sour due to the business model.

People talk about World of Warcraft like it wasn't revolutionary--- like it was a fluke or some sort of mass hysteria that caused it to become the most successful MMO of all time. People claimed that Blizzard didn't do anything special besides take what they liked from other games and kind of mash them all together. World of Warcraft may not have been inventive, but it was innovative in the fact that it made the genre accessible. It simplified the concepts of MMO's and delivered it to consumers in a much more digestable fashion than its predecessors.

Now the genre has become so popular and replicated that we take the mechanics and systems of these games for granted. Game designers keep regurgitating the same UI elements, skill systems, and combat/encounter mechanics without actually making them any better (with rare exceptions). WoW created a kind of standard model. It is and probably always be the baseline for MMORPG game systems and mechanics.

My hope for Titan is that Pardo and Kaplan take the maturity of the genre into consideration and break new ground in terms of game systems. I think the time has come to start adding complexity to MMO's and break the trend of designer's desire to increase what they call "accessibilty"

I don't think people refer to WoW's fluke being associated with mass hysteria but on the basis of success.  People constantly try to compare games success to WoW's which will only shadow in WoWs success.  Hell even GW2 will only shadow in WoW's success.  The amount of WoW's success was a fluke, very rarely in time and only on very rare occasions does something have the amount of success of WoW and not seen again in one's lifetime.  At least thats what the fluke is to me in anycase.

WoW's success was because Blizzard invested the time in market research - and not simply based on a specific region (i.e. catering to U.S. or Asian gamers only).  Their pricing plan in Asia, their regional advertising, their incorporation of regional art styles etc..etc..  From a marketing/cost/experience perspective they made sure there was something for everyone from every region in the game...

Thus, my assumption as noted in the first post of what Titan will be - basically an expansion of the Market research, and an evolution to where the gaming genre is at today.  Additional proof to support my assumption:

"Jeff Kaplan, one of the most pronounced Game Designers in Activision Blizzard when asked whether Titan will be sci-fi, near-future, post-apocalyptic or historical responded “All of these combined” with a smile"

Battle.net is also going through an overhaul which will allow it be a game management platform (similiar to Steam/Origin).

Keep in mind Titan has been in the works since at least 2007 - as someone else noted, Blizzard will most likely use WoW to "beta" features of Titan to see how well they are recieved.  Facebook integration, implementation of sub-games (Plants vs. Zombies) etc..etc..

As for people scoffing at this concept, I'm not sure I understand why?  If implemented properly, it would be the ultimate gaming experience..  You would have a standalone MMO Wrapper (Titan) which you could plug any type of experience you so desired into:

Sick of grinding EXP by killing 100 baddies on your (Titan/Level/Class) Char?  Drop by the local quest hub and pick up the "Save the Princess!" quest... suddenly you're dumped into a 2D side-scroller akin to Super Mario Bros.

Only have 10 Minutes to Play before the wife gets home?  Hop on the colonial marines transport and go to PLanet Xenomorph, where you are dropped into 1st person shooter mode and must rid the planet the Zergsomethingorother.

Miss dungeon crawling with friends in Diablo 3? But don't want to stop progression within Titan?  Stop by the Chapel on planet HolyMoly, and pick up the "Rid the world of evil" quest from Priest Susej.... in which you're suddenly dropped into a dungeon crawl experience, but gain experience on your Titan char for completion.

Stuck at work, with nothing to do, no motivation and a computer 10 years old that can't run anything?  Log in to the battle.net web access portal and launch the web game Oranges vs. Apples....  again, completion still helps with your main Titan character progression.

Think about it.. Steam, Xbox etc.. all the platforms already have a scoring system.  All Blizzard has to do is apply that logic and scoring system to a persistant character that exists within the Titan Wrapper.. and bingo... you have the ultimate gaming platform.

• AthisioAthisio Member Posts: 72

I read a piece of paper i found on the ground that was signed by a blizzard employee and it stated the theme will  be killer space clowns.

• Mike-McQueenMike-McQueen Member UncommonPosts: 267
    Didn't they make a deal with bungie? Pretty sure it'll be a halo mmo a la planet side dos.

I'm a unique and beautiful snowflake.

• AtibraAtibra Member Posts: 65
    Originally posted by Mike-McQueen
    Didn't they make a deal with bungie? Pretty sure it'll be a halo mmo a la planet side dos.

They would utilize 3rd party gaming companies (like Bungie) to develop the side-game experiences they can't cover themselves.  Further proof that Titan will just be a wrapper platform that grants access to any experience you so desire... Bungie will be developing their FPS experience, Blizzard obviously has RTS, MMORPG and Dungeon Crawl experience covered.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

My only guess is that Titan will be Sci-fi located on the planet or moon Titan.

• SonofSethSonofSeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,884
    No idea what kind of game Titan will be, all I know is I can't wait for Blizzcon next year, I guess that's when we find out.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    Definitely leaning towards it being a MMOFPS or MMORTS. 

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

A few things for sure :

- Made for kids

- Easy

- Fast leveling

- Dungeon finders to kill community, right from the start

- Expantions like crazy at top price, and taking for ever to be reduced.

Just a list of the for-sure-things

• pointchizpointchiz Member Posts: 73
    Titan will have a real money auction house AND a subscription fee. It will also freeze and become unplayable after each level you gain. Upon aquiring a level; the game will prompt you for your credit card information and charge 10$ to unlock the next level. Every chat message that you send in game will automatically charge you 25 cents on your credit card.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by delete5230

A few things for sure :

- Made for kids

- Easy

- Fast leveling

- Dungeon finders to kill community, right from the start

- Expantions like crazy at top price, and taking for ever to be reduced.

Just a list of the for-sure-things

Don't count on easy. I bet there will be multiple difficulties just like WOW.

Dungeon finder is good. I won't probably play a game without one from now on. Community ... in a game .. i do not care. I have my friends, and i find good people to play with in almost any game with a lobby. If i don't like a group, i quit.

Originally posted by pointchiz
    Titan will have a real money auction house AND a subscription fee. It will also freeze and become unplayable after each level you gain. Upon aquiring a level; the game will prompt you for your credit card information and charge 10$ to unlock the next level. Every chat message that you send in game will automatically charge you 25 cents on your credit card.

RMAH .. i don't mind. In fact, it is cool to be able to sell virtual stuff finally. So far, the RMAH in D3 is a net positive for me (both in cash flow & fun). It is a small amount of money .. but real money feel more "valuable" than fake gold.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

Ha haw haw.../slaps knee...you are so funny! And original too!! You should condiser becoming a stand up comic! Haw haw haw...

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    Originally posted by Psychow

Ha haw haw.../slaps knee...you are so funny! And original too!! You should condiser becoming a stand up comic! Haw haw haw...

Well you've hit the nail on the head in my mind...only thing you missed was having a gear check with a $10 surcharge per use ,if your level 3 gear didn't meet the requirements to move to level 4 you'd have to spend a couple of months running the level 3 dungeons waiting for the random drops to fall your way  

• TheAncientTheAncient Member Posts: 67
    Originally posted by Wagrum

Titan will be the Halo MMO

Oddly enough I was thinking the same thing.

The following is just idle speculation of course.

Microsoft once planned a Halo MMO codenamed Titan, which they then dropped around the same time the name showed up on a certain accidental spreadsheet public reveal. Just recently there has been heavy speculation on Microsoft buying Activision-Blizzard.

• william0532william0532 Member Posts: 251
    Originally posted by TheAncient
    Originally posted by Wagrum

Titan will be the Halo MMO

Microsoft once planned a Halo MMO codenamed Titan, which they then dropped around the same time the name showed up on a certain accidental spreadsheet public reveal. Just recently there has been heavy speculation on Microsoft buying Activision-Blizzard.

Man I hate to do this without a link, but I swear I read an article that it was 100% not going to be halo(I wouldn't mind a halo mmo however) I've seen many articles saying it will be a brand new IP, that rules out WoW spinoff, starcraft, and halo but something totally new

• sk8chalifsk8chalif Member UncommonPosts: 666

unreal Tournament,Halo,planetside 2, world of warcraft in 1 game,

Meaning A Sci fi Shooter MMO

well that what i think haha

But the a Halo MMO is more what i think,

since bungie and activition are friendly friendly . partnership

who knows lol?

~The only opinion that matters is your own.Everything else is just advice,~

• mmo-icemmo-ice Member Posts: 43
    I am not sure about this will take alot of work to implement it properley. Also Halo would make an awsome MMO

• LanfeaLanfea Member UncommonPosts: 223

why should i care? its from blizzard! back in 2004/05 they released a more than average mmorpg (in comparision to existing games like swg, ao or eqII), this year they released a game that seams to be one of the biggest dissapointments to the fans of the titel and with the real money auction house they are working on a very thin line between legality and fraud..

• TheAncientTheAncient Member Posts: 67
    Originally posted by william0532
    Originally posted by TheAncient

Man I hate to do this without a link, but I swear I read an article that it was 100% not going to be halo(I wouldn't mind a halo mmo however) I've seen many articles saying it will be a brand new IP, that rules out WoW spinoff, starcraft, and halo but something totally new

You could be right, but it's all speculation :)

I'd love to see a Halo MMO, even a Ringworld MMO would be great.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ringworld

• rdrakkenrdrakken Member Posts: 426

I suggest you guys go back and read all the articles from the last 4 GDCs.

TItan will have...

1. player generated content.
    2. a shop.
    3. microtransactions.
    4. full transactions (content/big items like WoW mounts)
    5. mobile access, phone apps.
    6. cross platform, PC/console/tablet
    7. Diablo 3 style real money market
    8. more ways to access parts of the game via mobile apps
    That will go along with the typical MMO content.

Originally posted by rdrakken

I suggest you guys go back and read all the articles from the last 4 GDCs.

TItan will have...

1. player generated content.
    2. a shop.
    3. microtransactions.
    4. full transactions (content/big items like WoW mounts)
    5. mobile access, phone apps.
    6. cross platform, PC/console/tablet
    7. Diablo 3 style real money market
    8. more ways to access parts of the game via mobile apps
    That will go along with the typical MMO content.

none of those things are very important to me (positively or negatively). I want to know if the combat is fun, and if the setting is intereting.

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Apparently earlier this year there were leaked documents or something of the sort stating Titan would be a FPS, but that seems highly unlikely to me. FPS games pander to a niche audience and if they are creating something huge a lot of people need to be able to enjoy it.

Smile