Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Will you play SWTOR F2P? (POLL)

HonnerHonner SydneyPosts: 504Member

Comments

• SlickShoesSlickShoes EdinburghPosts: 1,037Member Uncommon

I played the game for one month and have no desire to go back even if everything in game was free, even if they paid me £8.99 a month to play it.

• XzenXzen Los Alamos, NMPosts: 2,607Member Common

I don't know. I want to but I'll probably not be able to pull myself away from GW2 long enough to spend any time in SWTOR.

• TimothyTierlessTimothyTierless Columnist M, ORPosts: 2,163Member Uncommon

This guy, who is obviously a very active gamer that clearly understands differing quality of gameplay, says otherwise.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/08/01/investment-group-predicts-positive-returns-for-star-wars-the-ol/

I say it will retain a small, maybe 200k players that love star wars and do spent way too much on aesthetic items but that is it. I do not see this a huge turn-a-round.

• e1eplayere1eplayer Tallahassee, FLPosts: 23Member
    Originally posted by Xzen

I don't know. I want to but I'll probably not be able to pull myself away from GW2 long enough to spend any time in SWTOR.

I voted yes. but after reading your post I came to the same conclusion.. ... Can i change my vote o_O

but good luck to everyone that returns to SWTOR

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Adelaide, AKPosts: 953Member
    Originally posted by SlickShoes

I played the game for one month and have no desire to go back even if everything in game was free, even if they paid me £8.99 a month to play it.

+1 I'll feelings linger for me, f2p can't fix that for me.
  • vmopedvmoped Athens, GAPosts: 1,708Member

Changing of the payment model has no impact on the gameplay.  My issues with the game deal with it's gameplay.  Until that is changed in a positive way (IMO), then there is no desire on my part to return.

Cheers!

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S

• xmentyxmenty SingaporePosts: 679Member

I vote No.

In my opnion, its not F2P.

It is a freemium and you have to sub monthly to get the full experience.

Not worth the time.

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

• ZaltarkZaltark Lockhart, TXPosts: 421Member

Ill play it with my buddies/close friends for free. Probably wont bother paying for warzones or any of that crap.

• TimothyTierlessTimothyTierless Columnist M, ORPosts: 2,163Member Uncommon

Originally posted by vmoped
    Changing of the payment model has no impact on the gameplay.  My issues with the game deal with it's gameplay.  Until that is changed in a positive way (IMO), then there is no desire on my part to return.

Cheers!

This is what the analyst fails to comprehend (especially based on his part comments). You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig. All of his views are based on a mindless player base, which MMORPGers tend to be a little smarter about game choice than the facebook crowd. Obvisouly not smart enough to keep from falling for the initial SWTOR hype but I think smart enough to avoid being fooled twice (especially considering the EA ftp, pay to win method).

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Calgary, ABPosts: 2,156Member

The warzone weekly queue limit straight up turns me off.

• XAPKenXAPKen Northwest, INPosts: 4,894Member Uncommon

Voted yes.  It's something I can go in and goof off a bit in spare time.  If it's not entertaining I can drop with no buyers remorse.

Am I likely to play it extensively and spend large amounts of money in the item shop?  No.  I doubt it.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now turned Amateur Game Developer.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  Realm Lords 2 on MMORPG.com
  • SovrathSovrath Boston Area, MAPosts: 18,451Member Uncommon

Yes, I was going to resubscribe at some point anyways.

• fenistilfenistil GliwicePosts: 3,005Member

Lotro freemium left me with disgusting taste in my mouth,  don't want more so thanks but no thanks.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Manchester, NHPosts: 2,926Member Uncommon

I voted yes. 

I bought the game on release and loved leveling my Sith Assassin.  I didn't botehr with the lvl 50 flashpoints and quickly got bored with PVP and so I level a second character to 35 or so.  I didn't subscribe until this month.  I really shouldn't have subscribed this month though because all I did was pick my new legacy and character names, due to the server xfer.  I logged in and just didn't feel like playing.

I will definitely play it as F2P from time to time and level characters to see the 8 class stories.  I can't imagine spending cash on the game unless they added some really well implemented multiplayer space content.

• FadedbombFadedbomb Aiken, SCPosts: 2,081Member
    Originally posted by TheCrow2k
    Originally posted by SlickShoes

+1 I'll feelings linger for me, f2p can't fix that for me.

I played the game in Beta, and found I had no interest in something so shallow. Even if they paid me $200/month I wouldn't go back.

Singleplayer is, as Singleplayer does.

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• ZzadZzad Palma de MallorcaPosts: 1,332Member Uncommon

I left SWTOR with my main character at lvl 47..... because of pure boredom...

Maybe i´ll return to level those 3 lvls left to get to cap (lvl 50) and give it another try to see end game areas...

But with GW2 coming out this month.....that won´t happen soon.....

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Ehrenfeld, PAPosts: 2,977Member

Definitely, it's free and it's Star Wars!

If I get hooked again, I will subscribe, until then I will play it as intended -for free-

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Nevada, MOPosts: 2,732Member

Only stopped because I got too busy to play, so yes, I'll play again come winter when life slows down again.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• ignore_meignore_me Apple Valley, CAPosts: 1,987Member

No.

I quit because of the game's design. I would have payed 180 bucks a year for many years if the game was worth playing.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• HarttzHarttz Jacksonville, FLPosts: 91Member

It really depends on how you define "play." I will probably fire it up every once in a while and level a character up to 50, especially if the legacy perks make it so I can skip a lot of the non-personal story quests. I might even do some warzones or an occasional flashpoint. I would equate that to how I might play a single-player game or a multiplayer console game. 

Will I "play" it like an MMO? Absolutely not. The game world just doesn't have the character and personality to make me want to log in constantly, live as my character, or form lasting social connections with other players. I also almost certainly will not pay a cent for it since I won't care about how my character looks since it is just some meaningless avatar and I am not lazy so I don't need convenience items.

• WellzyCWellzyC Stillwater, MNPosts: 557Member Uncommon

I still have nightmares of pressing the space bar over and over again till my thumbs bleed. 

When i hear cricketts in the bushes around my house, i have horrifling flash backs of empty uninspsiring zones.

The very word Hutball gives me instant headaches.

no amount of F2P will ever make me replay that horror..

The way mmo's were: Community, Exploration, Character Development, Conquest.

The way mmo's are now : Cut-Scenes,Cut-Scenes, solo Questing, Cut-Scenes...

www.CeaselessGuild.com

• OziiusOziius Baltimore, MDPosts: 1,388Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Xobdnas

Originally posted by vmoped
    Changing of the payment model has no impact on the gameplay.  My issues with the game deal with it's gameplay.  Until that is changed in a positive way (IMO), then there is no desire on my part to return.Cheers!

This is what the analyst fails to comprehend (especially based on his part comments). You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig. All of his views are based on a mindless player base, which MMORPGers tend to be a little smarted about game choice than the facebook crowd. Obvisouly not smart enough to keep from falling for the initial SWTOR hype but I think smart enough to avoid being fooled twice (especially considering the EA ftp, pay to win method).

This is what's wrong with the MMO community. People think its impossible for anyone of intelligence to have a difference of opinion or perhaps like something they do not. It's not a matter of intelligence my friend. Some people actually like different things. For instance, I live in Baltimore Maryland in the US. We are known around the county for our seafood, most notably the blue crab. I don't eat seafood. Can't stand it. But I don't think there is anything wrong with the folks who do eat it. Even though I don't like it, it's ok that they do. And it's preference and has nothing to do with intelligence. I can come up with a comprehensive list of why I don't eat crabs, such as them being the ashtray of the ocean, etc.. Means nothing to those who like them. Get it?
  • bunnyhopperbunnyhopper LondonPosts: 2,751Member

Nope.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• MardukkMardukk Posts: 1,556Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by fenistil

Lotro freemium left me with disgusting taste in my mouth,  don't want more so thanks but no thanks.

Well lotro wouldn't even let you do a freaking quest for free. Of course you left it with a bad taste ha! These ftp restrictions appear to be some of the best in the business. I voted yes but it would be rarely.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko RotterdamPosts: 3,845Member Uncommon

No.

I've played it for long enough already to know that it's not my kind of game. Making it F2P doesn't change that fact.