Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Repopulation: Latest Update is a Big One

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The Repopulation team has posted the July update, a beast of an article that features a look at the massive amount of work that has been done on the game in the last thirty days. Among other things, The Repopulation may start seeing new testers as the devs look to expand the pool.

Our primary focus this month was on combat. We took a look at every skill line and ability and tweaked where necessary to bring balance to each line, and to provide functionality where it was missing. We added the ability to double tap a movement key to dive in that direction, with an accompanying bonus that scales with your Acrobatics skill. Postures (Stand/Kneel/Prone) have been separated from abilities, and are now more reactive and easier to work with. Action Mode also received a slew of improvements. Next month will feature even more combat improvements as we delve into an energy weapon/shield revamp.

Pull up a chair and read the entire post on The Repopulation's site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• PaddyspubPaddyspub Member Posts: 104

Can't wait for this game, its gonna rawk!

Tbe Repopulation will be what SWTOR shouldve been.

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

I've got an eye on this. Color me interested in what I call a true MMORPG.

Joined - July 2004

• BrynnBrynn Member Posts: 345

So, the game will be open world PvP, and only crafters are safe from gankers. I can't hunt and explore. I could do that in SWG. Are all sandbox games now open world PvP? This turns me off because of the juvenile bands of gankers that run around grieving just for kicks.

• wowcloneswowclones Member Posts: 127
    Originally posted by Brynn

So, the game will be open world PvP, and only crafters are safe from gankers. I can't hunt and explore. I could do that in SWG. Are all sandbox games now open world PvP? This turns me off because of the juvenile bands of gankers that run around grieving just for kicks.

Not true at all, must have misread something, crafter have no special PVP flag or nothing. Think what they were saying is if you are just a crafter and dont want to explorer you could do that and still advance. Basically staying in the starter area.

• IkifalesIkifales Member UncommonPosts: 305
    Open world pvp is great.FFA PvP is meaningless and ruins so many sandbox MMOs.
  • Pongo_Pongo_ Member UncommonPosts: 38

unfortunately if its open pvp, even if it is seperated by factions and not FFA,  i wont be able to play.

i love sandbox play,  but not pvp

i want to relax when i play, not be on edge looking over my shoulder

give me pve rule set where i can toggle the pvp flag when i want to, no stupid auto flag rules, like zones, buffing, aoe's hitting flagged players.  and ill be very happy

• stefanakisgrstefanakisgr Member UncommonPosts: 38

These games need a design with security levels , like EVE . You want to PK ? go low sec . Want to PVE ? go high sec , but not exclusively and with a risk vs reward model in mind . That way pve players can relax when they want to . Would have loved UO even more if instead of introducing just Tremel , there were zones or continents in between , where you could call guards , or guards would auto appear after set time . Gives pk's a chance with higher risk , gives players a chance  to escape , and with lvls of security everyone can find a place he likes . Low sec could have better craft mats etc , so risk is worth it . From what I understand , the repopulation is like 0 security space in EVE , ffa ?

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Yes, ffa-pvp has been tried many times in many forms, none have really worked.  Some are better than others, this one looks like it has not been thought through very well.

Shame they are going through all this effort and will end up with a very small playerbase.  

A sandbox design does not needed ffa-pvp at all.  If you are going to have it, then you need to limit it to certain areas or make it highly restrictive, neither of which I see being done here.  

The game is in it's early stages, perhaps they will wake up and grasp what ffa-pvp means to a game and implement it properly either by limiting it to certain areas or placing acceptable restrictions on it.  All area pvp with no restrictions will doom even a good game.

• JC-SmithJC-Smith Member UncommonPosts: 421
    Repop is not Free For All PvP. It is only such on a hardcore server. Normal servers feature a Nation vs. Nation system which is more of a faction vs. faction PvP system with PvP being purely opt in in half the areas, and then being faction vs. faction in the middle areas of the world.
  • RudedawgCDNRudedawgCDN Member UncommonPosts: 507

Open world pvp games rock!

There is enough instanced pvp or pve centered games on the market.

We don't need anymore.

• OldbugssOldbugss Member UncommonPosts: 22
    Humbly anticipating this release. Anything more is met with accusations of wanting this rushed. Lol, is it so wrong to want something so good?
  • ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    I had a lot of doubts about this project, but now it looks quite promising.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by Brynn

This.  Just because a game is a sandbox does not mean you have to have open world pvp.  Open world pvp just kills a game for most players and puts the game into a niche status.  Even Eve has various states of pvp areas.

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

The link takes you to "End of July 2012 Update"

To my knowledge, it's january 2013, so that should atleast be something like end of december 2012?

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Ozmodan

Originally posted by Brynn So, the game will be open world PvP, and only crafters are safe from gankers. I can't hunt and explore. I could do that in SWG. Are all sandbox games now open world PvP? This turns me off because of the juvenile bands of gankers that run around grieving just for kicks.
    This.  Just because a game is a sandbox does not mean you have to have open world pvp.  Open world pvp just kills a game for most players and puts the game into a niche status.  Even Eve has various states of pvp areas.

Are there many details on how the PvP is implemented overall? I'm not a fan of open world PvP myself. I don't think it adds much to any game. That doesn't mean it can't be implemented in a way that is engaging even for people who don't particularly want to participate in that aspect of the game.

** edit **
    Just scrolled up to JC-Smith's post. That sounds pretty cool to me. I'd prefer three factions, but faction based pvp in a sandbox world sounds pretty cool.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• darker70darker70 Member UncommonPosts: 804
    Originally posted by Fusion

The link takes you to "End of July 2012 Update"

To my knowledge, it's january 2013, so that should atleast be something like end of december 2012?

Not sure where this post was dredged up from from but they have just released the 2013 update,this is like yonks old !

p>
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by RudedawgCDN

We don't need anymore.

Problem is Open World PvP games don't make any money really because many who like MMO's DO NOT LIKE open world PvP. As others have said, the games end up being a gank fest and the ones that end up playing are gankers.

• WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699
    Originally posted by botrytis

We don't need anymore.

Problem is Open World PvP games don't make any money really because many who like MMO's DO NOT LIKE open world PvP. As others have said, the games end up being a gank fest and the ones that end up playing are gankers.

Most sandbox developers are smaller indy companies and build the games they want to play themselves, generally taking a no nonsense attitude toward this. They also do not measure success to the same standard as AAA developers and publishers. They are not looking for millions of subs and often times depending on the size of the studio can survive with a fration of the playerbasse and be very comforatable with it.

What are your other Hobbies?

Gaming is Dirt Cheap compared to this...

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by botrytis

We don't need anymore.

The open world PVP games that I know of have all done pretty good and are still being played now..

well Darkfall got shutdown to make way for the new one.

Open world PVP are enjoyed by lots of people, sure not the same numbers as wow  but no MMO compares to those numbers.

Anyway looking forward to this and not sure how this post got dragged up lol

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    lol better to drag up old posts and discuss than make a bazillion new ones all saying the same thing...  but with this being a non OWPVP game..it has atleast one more customer..in the future.  Atleast for a little bit..longer if it is free :)

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin