Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Hypothetical question about Blizzards new game

2»

Comments

• SephastusSephastus New Brunswick, NJPosts: 448Member Uncommon

Hindsight is 20/20:

When making WoW, Blizzard was not expecting to have the Titan of a game they got. They were at the right place at the right time, and had a good IP to generate buzz about their game. Couple that with word of mouth and good advertising, and they got the perfect storm to shoot their game to where it is now.

With that said: it wont happen again.

Why? Think back to your very first MMO. The feelings you got from leveling, exploration, wins, defeats, glory and friendships. It was druglike in its euphoria... and like a drug, the initial high is something that you can rarely ever get back. The current MMO world population is just like this. They can try as many games as they want, but it is not a "new and exciting" experience anymore. You can only play tag for so long before you outgrow it.

The solution? A completely new type of gameplay, somewhat removed from what we know now as an MMORPG. What this is, I don't know, but once it happens, the first thing I said will hold true again: Hindsight is 20/20.

The objective of companies is to make money, and to do this, they have to appeal to either as many people as posible, or a dedicated and big enough niche group of players that they can generate a profit from it. Blizzard is the same, and they are not going to chance on creating something radically new from the norm. Make no mistake: It will be an MMORPG, it will have classes, leveling, a story to trod along to and other traditional RPG elements. What will change will be what the packaging is around it. But putting a new color on a carl does not stop it from being a car.

One day a real change in the online gaming world will come, and again the new generation will flock to it to seek enjoyment (hopefully a game that uses newer technologies, like motion capture), but right now, that change will not be coming from Blizzard. And most likely not from any of the current gaming companies out there.

Hopefully I will be around to see that revolution.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko RotterdamPosts: 3,845Member Uncommon

I don't "hate" any game company. I only dislike certain games.

If Blizzard made an awesome game that I really enjoyed, I would play it to death without a second thought. I've never subscribed to WoW and never will, the game doesn't appeal to me. But whatever Blizzy comes up with next, I will evaluate on it's own merits.

I don't care if a game is made by EA, SOE, Funcom or Blizzard, and I don't care if it's P2P, F2P or B2P. As long as the game appeals to me, I'll play it.

• ste2000ste2000 londonPosts: 4,698Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by alexanys1982

If, keyword IF..Titan turns out to be the sandbox/themepark perfect hybrid that everyone seems to be clamoring for, and Blizzard ended up dominating the scene for another 12 years, how would that make you feel about them as a company, or about the other mmo houses in general...can 1 company really dominate for that long in this gene? I was having a pretty deep convo with some work buddys about the genre as a whole and they all agreed its because they are simply better at making games the same way not all athletes are created equal...so how would you reacte to Blizzards dominance for another 12 years?

Titan is going to be an FPS MMO

Just think about a CoD or Battlefield MMO (basically Planetside 2 but with a famous franchise)

FPS is a huge market, the biggest Single Player Market.................so it doesn't take a genious to understand that what Blizzard is going to do is to import this kind of game in the MMO Arena.

It won't be easy because at the moment the Multiplayer model works quite well..............but they will find a way.

CoD is also part of the Activision/Blizzard family............just saying.

• maplestonemaplestone Ottawa, ONPosts: 3,099Member

If, keyword IF

I see a lot of people projecting their imaginations against a blank wall when it comes to this title.

• DauzqulDauzqul Detroit, MIPosts: 1,401Member Uncommon

There was a time when I thought, "Any game with a Blizzard title is going to be fantastic." This was back in the Warcraft 2 / Starcraft days.

When I think of Blizzard today, all I think about is money. True Story.

I know companies don't produce these games for the fun of it. Their goal is to generate money. However, with Blizzard and most other companies, they don't balance Innovation and "for the love of the game" with money. With them, it seems to be 99% money / 1% care.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon santa clara, CAPosts: 22,441Member
    Originally posted by Istavaan

Blizzard games only every appeal to the masses so i doubt it will be a sandbox. more than likely it will be something like planetside 2.

Something like Planetside 2 done well .. i would definitely give a look.

However, Blizz has not made a FPS before. I wonder if they are going to start now.

• laseritlaserit Vancouver, BCPosts: 1,937Member Uncommon

If, keyword IF..Titan turns out to be the sandbox/themepark perfect hybrid that everyone seems to be clamoring for, and Blizzard ended up dominating the scene for another 12 years, how would that make you feel about them as a company, or about the other mmo houses in general...can 1 company really dominate for that long in this gene? I was having a pretty deep convo with some work buddys about the genre as a whole and they all agreed its because they are simply better at making games the same way not all athletes are created equal...so how would you reacte to Blizzards dominance for another 12 years?

All one has to do is look at the direction blizzard has taken the last 6 or so years...

I'm pretty confident Titan will not be a sandbox/themepark hybrid. What it will do is push the boundries into what people are willing to pay for a game. It will cater to the masses and ot may very well dominate for another 12 years.

One thing it will not do is cater to the sandbox/virtual world fan.

"If you make an ass out of yourself, there will always be someone to ride you." - Bruce Lee

• blognorgblognorg Roseburg, ORPosts: 643Member
    Originally posted by laserit

All one has to do is look at the direction blizzard has taken the last 6 or so years...

I'm pretty confident Titan will not be a sandbox/themepark hybrid. What it will do is push the boundries into what people are willing to pay for a game. It will cater to the masses and ot may very well dominate for another 12 years.

Really? I have serious doubts that it will dominate, especially for 12 years. The market is in a much different place than it was 8 years ago. We don't need what WoW did back then. Another thing is that people don't necessarily have the Blizzard brand loyalty that they had eons ago, so fewer people will mindlessly jump on the band wagon. I'm not saying that they won't make a good game or that it won't be popular, but I don't think domination is in its future.

• eye_meye_m Notta Chance, ABPosts: 3,133Member Uncommon

I'm betting it will be a F2P game with RMAH and be tied in with Facebook.  All they need to do is to make a battlenet Facebook app. I'm thinking the game will be extremely simple with a heavy dose of cosmetic crap.

just my two cents.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

• coretex666coretex666 PraguePosts: 1,934Member Uncommon

If someone asks me what game I am looking forward to, I always answer with ArcheAge. However, my true hopes are with Titan. Since it has not been released yet, I am just keeping a little distance (what if the game is great, yet not appealing to me...I hope it is fantasy and not sci-fi FPS like people tend to claim).

I am a Blizzard fan and as such, I would welcome if they succeeded and dominated the market. I have not been disappointed by any of their games ever. Diablo III did not meet my expectations only because I set them too high. I kind of expected the game to be able to turn water into wine if you know what I am saying, but instead it only provided me with several months of fun (they will be working on the game and make it great I am quite sure, it just needs time, but D3 did not say its last words).

I believe that Blizzard is capable of creating an MMO that will dominate the market just like WoW did (still does). I find it funny that nowadays, the other companies release games that hardly compete with WoW which is 8 years old and slowly reaching the end of its product lifecycle. It seems that nobody will be able to create a product that would be so superior that would make WoW look so obsolete that everyone would switch to that (like LCD monitors when everyone was using CRTs...I know that MMOs are different type of product, but just to express my point....). I believe / hope that Titan will be such product...a next gen mmo. Like LCDs were next gen monitors back then.

By the way many people complain that WoW has subs, cash shop and paid expansions. This is what you do with your product when it reaches certain stage of its product lifecycle. People claim it is greed that drives them...well in a way, yes. Welcome to capitalism. It is business for them. They need to make money. The management only serves as a tool to satisfy the shareholders. Why do you think they produce the games, to have fun? Naive idea. Every company would implement / establish channels of revenues which come out as profitable based on their calculations.

Waiting for L2 EU Classic

• BadaboomBadaboom Moose Jaw, SKPosts: 2,380Member

With Blizz' latest release of D3 and soon to be WoW Expansion, the once good company has shown that they have lost touch with reality.

Originally posted by blognorg

Really? I have serious doubts that it will dominate, especially for 12 years. The market is in a much different place than it was 8 years ago. We don't need what WoW did back then. Another thing is that people don't necessarily have the Blizzard brand loyalty that they had eons ago, so fewer people will mindlessly jump on the band wagon. I'm not saying that they won't make a good game or that it won't be popular, but I don't think domination is in its future.

I really hope your right... I agree with you...

But the masses are mindless. 500 channels and nothing on

"If you make an ass out of yourself, there will always be someone to ride you." - Bruce Lee

• jeremyjodesjeremyjodes antioch, ORPosts: 679Member

IF Titan is a sandbox or even hybrid sandbox, and has a sub model? the industry will be flipped on it's head. which is what i think was blizzards plan all along. Think about it, with all the Wow clones we have now, the genre is stagnated to the point of collapse. in comes Titan being a sandbox, and over night all those clones would fall like dominoes. it's brilaint plan if it's true.

Not only did they hold the entire genre hostage since 2004 forcing companys to make Wow clones, they use Titan to redefine the genre and force out all the competitors overnight in a rush to innovate to try and grab the sandbox MMO market share which blizzard would hold for decades.

I'm just not sure thats the plan though. but if it turns out that way blizzard will have sealed the title and control MMO development for the next 14 years easy.

Originally posted by jeremyjodes

IF Titan is a sandbox or even hybrid sandbox, and has a sub model? the industry will be flipped on it's head. which is what i think was blizzards plan all along. Think about it, with all the Wow clones we have now, the genre is stagnated to the point of collapse. in comes Titan being a sandbox, and over night all those clones would fall like dominoes. it's brilaint plan if it's true.

Not only did they hold the entire genre hostage since 2004 forcing companys to make Wow clones, they use Titan to redefine the genre and force out all the competitors overnight in a rush to innovate to try and grab the sandbox MMO market share which blizzard would hold for decades.

I'm just not sure thats the plan though. but if it turns out that way blizzard will have sealed the title and control MMO development for the next 14 years easy.

Thats a nice fairytale dream you have there, but companies like Zynga have shown where the big money is. Facebook crap

• BadaboomBadaboom Moose Jaw, SKPosts: 2,380Member

Thats a nice fairytale dream you have there, but companies like Zynga have shown where the big money is. Facebook crap

I get conflicting reports.  Some say Zynga lost $400 million last year.  Others say they are losing $150 for every new paying customer.  While others are saying they are making $30 dollars for every new paying customer. 

Originally posted by Badaboom

I get conflicting reports.  Some say Zynga lost $400 million last year.  Others say they are losing $150 for every new paying customer.  While others are saying they are making $30 dollars for every new paying customer. 

I dont keep up to date but I heard on the news a few months ago that Zynga had a value of 6-billion.

• blognorgblognorg Roseburg, ORPosts: 643Member
    Originally posted by blognorg

I really hope your right... I agree with you...

But the masses are mindless. 500 channels and nothing on

Haha. I know, right. I cancelled my TV years ago. Between Netflix and the internet, I'm able to watch everything that I care to. Though, now that Arrested Development is off the air, I've lost my faith in TV.

• Yodi2007Yodi2007 Valdosta, GAPosts: 167Member

I could care less about another wow cloned thempark game! They could sell 30 million copies with 27 million subs, but if it's not something opened world and where player decisions afftect it then i dont want any part of it. The RMT AH is nothing but a cash shop between players!

Below is where we can disscuss and come up with new ideas for Sandparks!

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5164689#5164689

• RavenRaven LondonPosts: 1,974Member Common

I dont keep up to date but I heard on the news a few months ago that Zynga had a value of 6-billion.

You should absolutely keep up with the news, Zynga's bubble has burst. http://kotaku.com/5929083/zynga-stock-suddenly-drops-41

• SagasaintSagasaint Miami, FLPosts: 460Member

If, keyword IF Blizzard's rooster for the past 5 years wasnt the mother of all dissapointments, you'd have a point.

my expectatives of Blizzard scoring big time again are close to zilch.

SC2 sent a worrying signal.  Cata and MoP strengthened the fear. D3 confirmed it

any talent Blizzard had at any point in time left the building looooooooong ago.

doubt Titan will be any good

• nariusseldonnariusseldon santa clara, CAPosts: 22,441Member

With Blizz' latest release of D3 and soon to be WoW Expansion, the once good company has shown that they have lost touch with reality.

Any game that sold 6.5M copies in its first week is a huge success and pretty much welcomed by the market.

If this is "losing touch" with reality, many companies would want to "lose touch" as much as blizz.

• HumphrieHumphrie San Marcos, TXPosts: 123Member

It wouldn't make me feel any different about them at all. The thing about the perfect MMO formula is it isn't that hard to figure out. The problem is, for the past 8 years we've basically had a bunch of people controlling the industry who can't peel their collective eyes off of WoW's success. As a result, it's led to this ridiculous rise of 'absolute' themeparks which, as we know, haven't been all that successful due to the fact that WoW already fills that niche effectively, and fills it well.

If Blizzard has been good at something over the years, it's predicting trends. As the trend-setters for the past decade (or close to it), they are in the unique position to draw inspiration from elsewhere: to reflect on their own successes and understand that not everything they did was a homerun. That's why, at this point, I expect that they'll (somewhat ironically) be the only people capable of breaking their own mold. It's not like the writing hasn't been on the wall for about 4 years now -- it's just that Blizzard is the only company willing to take a look at it.

If you want to 'break the trinity;' if you want more realistic combat, sandbox elements, and more open world design, it's all possible with today's technology. Hell, the combat itself is simplistic: focus on mobility and utilizing terrain (IE, dodge the dragon's fireball by leaping behind a pillar) rather than aggro tables and healing. Draw inspiration from real-world fighting and you'll be able to knock up a system that's both believable and highly-involved. The first thing I would do is pretty much eliminate healing as we understand it -- there's no analagous real-world profession to the healer in MMOs. The key to surviving combat is mitigation and dodging -- not waving your glowy hands to pull a soldier who has been shot 10 times back from brink.

At the end of the day, this era will be remembered for producing MMOs that were scared of trying new things. My guess? Blizzard ain't scared, and they will give us new things.

• itgrowlsitgrowls newport news, VAPosts: 2,951Member

They are truly missing something if they ignore the sheer horror that was diablo III and still think Blizz has it's best talent on the job with Titan (the real talent is who they lost to other companies years ago btw).

Titan will most likely be another sub only title with a shop it will either be console FPS or some other such combo of these things, and it will most likely have balance issues because they'll still be holding onto their old notions of how games should be. I do not believe they or anyone else will have the level of success that WoW is holding onto because of the nostalgia that WoW represents as well as the number of people it appealed to. 

Now of course since they are keeping a tight lid on things, i might be wrong, but their track record especially lately has been pointing sharply in the fail direction.

2»