Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 devs are vanilla WoW devs

RingsideRingside Member UncommonPosts: 249
The people that bullt the core of world of warcraft basicaly. They probably getting paid big box due to the granted success of What they created in the first place. Im sure GW2 will become a esport

Comments

• QuicklyScottQuicklyScott Member Posts: 433

Say what!?  

First I've heard of this.

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652

lol i know two world vs world devs that are leads and from Warhammer online and DAOC before the mythic layoffs. Not sure I would even compare Vanilla wow to GW2 still totally two different games. People say how great van wow was but i was there and it was far from all that. Crashing servers constantly grinding mobs to make 1 gold to buy yourself a bag getting killed by random elites in the world roaming around. I quit wow and didnt even bother coming back until after TBC I went back to DAOC where there was actually fun pvp and nothing was a cartoon .

• IndromeIndrome Member UncommonPosts: 292

Pics or it didn't happen!

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    Originally posted by Ringside
    The people that bullt the core of world of warcraft basicaly. They probably getting paid big box due to the granted success of What they created in the first place. Im sure GW2 will become a esport

Actually ex blizzard devs that worked on Diablo 2 ... but close enough

• jondifooljondifool Member UncommonPosts: 1,143
    Originally posted by Indrome

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Jeff_Strain

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Patrick_Wyatt

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Mike_O%27Brien

but this is old news, i mean they did gw1 together so,

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

There are also some ex DAoC and Lucas Arts members on board. Not to mention the original Battle.net designer is a co-founder of Arena Net. You also have plenty of Pre-WoW era Blizzard developers. Something to note, game design is nothing like Hollywood. Unless your name is Chirs Metzen, in which case, everything is like Hollywood.

You can check out their profiles on their website for those that are curious.

• IndromeIndrome Member UncommonPosts: 292

Thanks for the links. Thats what I want from anybody starting threads like this. :)

(And I bet Blizzard is feeling mighty stupid now for letting those guys leave.)

• ColeguillaColeguilla Member Posts: 23

I think about 7 guys from Blizzard left the company, 3 of them the founders of ANet. Anyway 2 of them did it before the development of WoW and one of them only worked at the beginning. 2 of them actually don't even work for ANet.

You should check this vid -.-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GwKGbNKQHE

• lotapartylotaparty Member Posts: 514
    Originally posted by Ringside

lol thanks god you didnot said diablo 3

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940

the people that build the core wow is now building and have been building wildstar.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by m0lly

the people that build the core wow is now building and have been building wildstar.

So I guess for Titan, we can expect the slouches currently doing WoW content?  Great.

• EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735

Not entirely true. Arena Net was established by part of old Blizzard studio that was responsible for Diablo, battle.net coding, some campaign stuff in both Warcraft and Starcraft and of course Mike O'Brien is the guy who created the structure of .MPQ files that Blizzard uses to this day. 

Since then however, both Patric Wyatt and Jeff Strain moved on to other projects. Wyatt played a role at setting En Masse (TERA) and Strain started his own little design studio, currently working on a zombie MMO as well as a smaller XboxLive arcade shooter set in the world from that MMO. 

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Originally posted by m0lly

So I guess for Titan, we can expect the slouches currently doing WoW content?  Great.

core wow team resigned from blizzard after the " big boys in the big office " wanted the serie go towars burning crusade.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

Possibly they left because they disagree with the "raid gear grind" endgame of WOW too - maybe it wasn't their conception of fun ;-)

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I think the OP is mostly talking about it becoming an Esport?

I would say it is quite possible and i beleive i do remember reading not very long ago about that topic.

Right now Starcraft/SC2 are big Egames but the one set to go big time in Korea is LOL.This will hit Blizzard's marketing bigtime and allow the little game of LOL to get bigger notoriety than perhaps it deserves.I remeber Unreal came out of nowhere and the Esport made it a huge success,it was however a MUCH more robust game thaan LOL is.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• RavenRaven Member UncommonPosts: 2,005
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

Possibly they left because they disagree with the "raid gear grind" endgame of WOW too - maybe it wasn't their conception of fun ;-)

Or maybe they just enjoyed the ice cream shop in seattle much better than in Irvine. I mean its a really good Ice Cream shop! 

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Wizardry

I would say it is quite possible and i beleive i do remember reading not very long ago about that topic.

ANET wants GW2 to be successful as an esport

http://www.guildfans.com/story.html?story=29213

Jon: Jonathan, Izzy and I all have at one time in our past played Starcraft, Quake, Quake2, GW1, TRIBES, and other games at a semi-pro level. We have been on the other side of the fence and can appreciate the perspective of those players. GW2 is trying something new, and we're gonna try to blend the best of the old world with a new game style that asks players to employ skill sets from different genres. We want it to become a major eSport, and hope to make the right decisions that will make that happen in the long run.

ESL will have gw2 section soon

http://www.guildwarsinsider.com/esl-announcing-guild-wars-2-section-coming/

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by coretex666

Blizz stated that the lead developer of WoW moved with part of the team to work on Titan many years ago

Jeff Kaplan (Tigole)

http://massively.joystiq.com/2009/02/12/jeff-kaplan-leaving-world-of-warcraft-for-next-gen-blizzard-mmo/

• Yodi2007Yodi2007 Member Posts: 167
    Originally posted by QuicklyScott

Say what!?  

There are some ex devs working over there not alot but a few of them. My cousin worked at both EA & Blizzard as an artist/concept artist ( she no longer works with gaming companies), 1 of her friends works over on the GW2 project. 

Below is where we can disscuss and come up with new ideas for Sandparks!

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5164689#5164689

• ValuaValua Member Posts: 520
    Originally posted by jondifool
    Originally posted by Indrome

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Jeff_Strain

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Patrick_Wyatt

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Mike_O%27Brien

but this is old news, i mean they did gw1 together so,

Only one of them worked on WoW and he's left ArenaNet.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

very true!vanilla wow is the most loved wow till cataclysm!and whos fault was this?yep the guys that created arenanet!gw1?yep again ,mostly vanilla wow guys!

!remember that arenanet is a fairly new entity and to be so successfull in such short time is any dev dream!cant wait to play gw2!the second title from arenanet!yes some would include aion but this is an ncsoft baby! that was put into arenanet hands!

ps:true they didnt all work on wow!but prior to wow warcraft was there anotherr huge success that put blizzard on the map!starcraft was popular all the way to prior starcraft 2 lunch!

it is sad to see some of that core left!hopefully this wont have screwed the gw magic!

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by QuicklyScott

Say what!?  

It is kinda true.

In the late 90s were the team that worked on WC3 also putting in a little time on their own version of EQ set in the same world.

The whole idea was lead designer Jeff Strains and he got permision from Mike Morhaime who also was a EQ fanatic.

But when they actually showed what they had done Blizzard got really interested and made a huge featurelist that they demanded to be included, and it had Strains most hated word on it, monthly fees. So Strain got upset and he and his 2 main programers, Wyatt and O'brien left to make their own MMO. Sadly didn´t they got enough funding so they made a CORPG instead.

Meanwhile did Morhaime got a huge portion of luck, he was chatting with a random guildie who seemed smart and asked if he would be interested in some kind of work, he was named Kaplan and Morhaime was so impressed by him that he let him take over the Warcraft MMO project.

So in a way is the whole thing True, Jeff Strain did get the idea for both Wow and GW2 but he didn´t complete either game since he left ANET 3 years ago for Undead labs. Only Mike O'brien is still working at ANET from the original WC3/Wow team.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

ya and en masse tera isnt flying very high!the other might do better with their futur zombie game!we ll have to wait and see!

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235
    Originally posted by Wizardry

Right now Starcraft/SC2 are big Egames but the one set to go big time in Korea is LOL.This will hit Blizzard's marketing bigtime and allow the little game of LOL to get bigger notoriety than perhaps it deserves.I remeber Unreal came out of nowhere and the Esport made it a huge success,it was however a MUCH more robust game thaan LOL is.

The little game of LoL you mean the LoL that probablly has in excess of 30 million active accounts?

• SagasaintSagasaint Member UncommonPosts: 466

the GW2 dev team is probably the best the industry can offer right now

and it shows