Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would This Game Suit Player Housing or City Apartments?

MARTYB2KMARTYB2K Member Posts: 167

Hi All,

Without having played the game and just watching videos. One thing i'm excited about is the world looks large and open. Do you think we will ever get Player Housing? I love that feature in MMOs. Even just Instanced Apartments in the Capital Cities would be cool. Is the world big enough for fully fledged Player Housing?

Thanks...

Comments

• Slyther_ZeroSlyther_Zero Member Posts: 127

Pretty sure there is player housing being implemented after launch. As well as the addition of Guild Halls, which were in the orginal game as well. 

No info on release dates for these features though, but they are WIP.

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

They already said in one of their Q&A videos that they will be expanding on home districts in some fashion.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • MARTYB2KMARTYB2K Member Posts: 167

Can't wait.

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

I think instanced apartments are what the devs have been talking about. Each character has a "personal district" in his/her race's capital. That district already reflects the decisions you make during your personal story, but doesn't have a house yet. Based on what the devs have posted on their forums, they want to add one in the future.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610

We have not been given details on how it will be done, just that its coming after launch. My wife loved that in EQ2 and is very excited about this coming to GW2. 

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    Originally posted by dekou

I think instanced apartments are what the devs have been talking about. Each character has a "personal district" in his/her race's capital. That district already reflects the decisions you make during your personal story, but doesn't have a house yet. Based on what the devs have posted on their forums, they want to add one in the future.

Yep.  The personal district is so huge and perfect for and endless amount of customization.

• AmegashieAmegashie Member UncommonPosts: 289

The EQ2 model ( instanced appartments and houses in the big cities ) should work well and that's what's been hinted at by ArenaNet. Actual player made houses or even cities otoh are probably not a good idea in theme park MMOs in general and I don't see how they could be worked into the game world of GW2, even if I would trust ANet to do a much better job than Turbine in LotRO.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Originally posted by Amegashie

The EQ2 model ( instanced appartments and houses in the big cities ) should work well and that's what's been hinted at by ArenaNet. Actual player made houses or even cities otoh are probably not a good idea in theme park MMOs in general and I don't see how they could be worked into the game world of GW2, even if I would trust ANet to do a much better job than Turbine in LotRO.

Well....I could see player made housing working within your home instance, and/or with a guild hall system. These areas are instanced for your and people in your party (or guild for guild halls). In essence, they could go as far as giving you an empty plot of land with certain elements you could add in order to create a custom home, or start you with a basic home that you can slowly upgrade over time. For guild halls it could be a similar system where you are allowed a plot of land where you can add certain elements, or just a big empty hall that can be upgraded over time. As long as those areas are instanced, it doesn't really get in the way (for themepark worlds).

I really hope they do add some version of housing in the game at some point, it's actually something that I have been missing since my days in Asheron's Call.

• kafka1984kafka1984 Member Posts: 83
    Would love to see a player-instanced housing unit with quest / karma / gem store upgrade functions.
    Sure it is mostly fluff but the Final Fantasy XI type player housing could be a lot of fun if implemented correctly.

Roll the Dice

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,821

Yeah, sounds great but this instanced housing district that changes along with the choices you make in your personal story is one of the first things they talked about.
    And little has come out about this feature since.

So, have to wonder whats actually going on with it. Such as, it either taking longer than expected to do or being quietly cut.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607
    Originally posted by Xiaoki

Yeah, sounds great but this instanced housing district that changes along with the choices you make in your personal story is one of the first things they talked about.
    And little has come out about this feature since.

So, have to wonder whats actually going on with it. Such as, it either taking longer than expected to do or being quietly cut.

The home district is already in game and working just like they said it would. If they do housing I think they should just make a few of the places in the home district purchasable and customisable.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,821

Originally posted by Xzen
    Originally posted by Xiaoki   Originally posted by dekou I think instanced apartments are what the devs have been talking about. Each character has a "personal district" in his/her race's capital. That district already reflects the decisions you make during your personal story, but doesn't have a house yet. Based on what the devs have posted on their forums, they want to add one in the future.
    Yeah, sounds great but this instanced housing district that changes along with the choices you make in your personal story is one of the first things they talked about. And little has come out about this feature since.   So, have to wonder whats actually going on with it. Such as, it either taking longer than expected to do or being quietly cut.
    The home district is already in game and working just like they said it would. If they do housing I think they should just make a few of the places in the home district purchasable and customisable.

Had to check a map to find the (Home) instance.

Sorry, I never went to that part of the capitol and did not see it.

Previous comment rescinded.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

I agree. I think that apartments are a natural fit with the game and dovetail in nicely with the Home Instances we already have. having house lots around the world, as in SWG, may not be possible. The world is huge, but the content is dense and I can imagine that player housing could interfere with Dynamic Events. Who knows though. I'll be happy with apartments.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by fiontar

I agree. I think that apartments are a natural fit with the game and dovetail in nicely with the Home Instances we already have. having house lots around the world, as in SWG, may not be possible. The world is huge, but the content is dense and I can imagine that player housing could interfere with Dynamic Events. Who knows though. I'll be happy with apartments.

I have allways loved the way EQ2 implemented housing.

Because in all MO´s i played that have actuall player housing areas, these places where allways empty and not alive, with just a bunch of houses astanding there.   Never i have seen a ame that could turn the player housing zones in player hubs.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

Originally posted by Methos12
    They already said in one of their Q&A videos that they will be expanding on home districts in some fashion.

blizzard said that too =P
    just sayin :)

from the zones I saw (only 3-4) there isnt really any room for housing, uo style .. vg style is possible I guess, and obviously apartments should fit just about any game.

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• jeremyjodesjeremyjodes Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 679

This Sounds amazing.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by azmundai

from the zones I saw (only 3-4) there isnt really any room for housing, uo style .. vg style is possible I guess, and obviously apartments should fit just about any game.

Obviously there might be some estates in your home district that you could own... As said before, it will probably work like EQ2..

But what made EQ2 such a great housing experience?  All the stuff you could craft or gather ingame and decorate your house or guildhall with. Thats what made the housing so fun for me.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    Originally posted by fiontar

I have allways loved the way EQ2 implemented housing.

Because in all MO´s i played that have actuall player housing areas, these places where allways empty and not alive, with just a bunch of houses astanding there.   Never i have seen a ame that could turn the player housing zones in player hubs.

Asherons Call has the best player housing in the MMO'verse imo.  Not only is it functional, in the world, and tied to many quests and bitch to aquire.  Above all else it gives players another form of economy instead of jsut aquiring gold, in AC you had to aquire Writs of Refuge and it was used as a housing currency and upkeep costs.

I didnt mind EQ2's housing and if GW2 was to implement it, it would look something similar to this but its not my favorite.  Still though I'd take EQ2 style housing over no housing.  I jjust much prefer open world housing which isnt a problem if the housing is pre-designated and clustered in small communities and people can visit and see the outside.  In EQ2's style of housing, really the only people who can visit your house is ppeople you invite, I jsut like the fact that I can get a sense of someone decor values via runnign around in Asherons Call.

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    Originally posted by azmundai

Obviously there might be some estates in your home district that you could own... As said before, it will probably work like EQ2..

But what made EQ2 such a great housing experience? All the stuff you could craft or gather ingame and decorate your house or guildhall with. Thats what made the housing so fun for me.

I agree with items and stuff you could craft and gather, including rare items and things like boss heads (I was the 3rd player on my server way back to aquire the head of the Olthoi Hive Queen's Matron head to be placed over the entrance of my housing villa for "ALL" to see and admire.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

Housing is pretty insignificant to me. I have a studio in Aion that I rarely ever go to. The plants are all dead and somebody threw up on the couch. Oh wait, nevermind, wrong house.  But yeah, i don't go there much.

I guess all things considered though, I still wouldn't mind having one. It's just not a big deal to me

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle

We have not been given details on how it will be done, just that its coming after launch. My wife loved that in EQ2 and is very excited about this coming to GW2. 

your wife is right imho, the housing in EQ2 was pretty good.....i realy hope anet does something like that when it comes to housing.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

Maybe some time down the road..  I think it would make for an excellent opportunity for cash shop items..  Allow people the basics at first, then add in a ton of vanity items or upgrades via cash shop.. I have NO problem with that at all..  :)

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015

I think we'll have to wait a while for these to come out if i can guess at Anet standards.

I think Guild Halls will come out first. They are much more universal and could have a lot more use for the majority of the playerbase. Possibly one for each race. 

I think building on (or alongside) guild hall technology they will have player housing done as well. A sizeable team will have to decide doodads, terrain, cost of vanity items - gold/gems/collection/mystic forge/glory, possibilty of different housing for different story choices or just one type for all (would a noble live in the same house as a streetrat?), races, environmental themes, how would a player accquire the house, how much does it cost and where do we fit in the rewards into the game?

Those are just some of the things off the top of my head without taking into consideration all the technical bugs that may come with it. 

When we do get it. It will be awesome.

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636

Player housing would be good - I do like that level of detail - especially if it allows custom trophy placement and style choices.

However - a grand Guild Hall is more important in my opinion. I would like to see an area in Lion's Arch dedicated to it, allowing different levels of acheivement to be visually rewarded.

Small Guilds gaining a monument with trophies around the base, Medium Guilds with a Hall and Large Guilds with a Keep.

They wouldn't have to be too big - or could be in an instanced cavern system - although I would like to see an open area where the top ten guilds had statues and banners flying if they go for the instanced variant - as well as a 'war memorial' decorated in a manner reflecting WvWvW acheivements.

Anything which engenders pride in accomplishment and adds to atmosphere and immersion is a good thing.

Edit addition: Just had an idea - have DE's which ae triggered by GUILDS once they have certain acheivements in place - that would be great - and they should be inclusive, so although the great guild starts the ball rolling - everyone gets an invite....