Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which do you think is more Hard Core? TSW, GW2, WoW, Swtor?

Comments

• Yodi2007Yodi2007 Member Posts: 167
    Originally posted by bcbully

Sorry MMORPG!!! :) but I must know image

I left EVE out just like I leave Wilt Chamberlin out of basketball discussions. EVE is the Wilt Chamberlin of hardcore mmos.

I understand that people have different specific definitions off hardcore. I'm talking in general. No one is going to call Barbie's play house hardcore. 

So which did you choose and why?

inb4 - none of these! Pitfall, now that was hardcore!

I chose neither as I've played 2 of 4 (wow&SWTOR) and the views of the other two seems like they are all a LoL feast! Only mmo that was hardcore to me were the games like FFXI and EQ1 (never played ultima). 

Below is where we can disscuss and come up with new ideas for Sandparks!

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5164689#5164689

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118

No MMOs are hardcore.  They are video games.  Until they make you feel real pain (besides Carpal Tunnel), none of them will ever be hardcore.

Playing my guitars is way more hardcore than playing with myse.......my computer.

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365

not that i have any clue what "hard core" really means, but i first narrowed my choices down to the two games that have competitive pvp.. then decided to vote for the one which isn't gear dependant.

edit: knowing full well this is a lot like saying 

which band is the most hard core?

justin bieber

new kids on the block

backstreet boys

britney spears

Originally posted by Zorgo

I don't like the premise.

Hardcore isn't a function of the game, it is a function of the player.

There are people who play all of these games casually. There are people who play all of these games hardcore.

A person who spends 80+ hours a week on WoW vs. a person who logs into TSW twice a week for 2 hours. The WoW player is hardcore, even if the content isn't difficult.

Even if you asked the question a different way; which is more difficult?

Well, it depends on how you define it. If it takes 3000 hours to fully equip your toon in wow and in 300 hours of play you've completed every TSW quest......what is more difficult.

It is all too relative and without further parameters, I don't see what actual information can be gleened from this poll.

WoW hardcore...? Don't make me laugh at that! Hardcore isn't playing a game 80 hrs a week to complete a set of gear out of "Hubbed CITIES" to do the same intances over and over again 10 times in a row to get certain pieces or dying over and over without any penalties! Hardcore gameplay is losing  2-3 hours of EXP in one death, losing gear, getting PK'd with a "Mob Train" from other players, true open world bosses, Epic crafting mats from notorius monsters, and Permadeath for "special classes " SWG JEDI" i heard pre NG!

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

If were talking EVE hardcore, GW2 is the only thing that you can maybe possibly relate too.  But none of these games are very similar to EVE.

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991

Given that there is in fact no agreed-upon definition of "hard core", it is hard to evaluate the question or draw any conclusions from the data.

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

Originally posted by Derpybird

Given that there is in fact no agreed-upon definition of "hard core", it is hard to evaluate the question or draw any conclusions from the data.

i can conclude from the data it has something to do with fully voiced storylines and lightsabers.

Originally posted by Ramanadjinn

not that i have any clue what "hard core" really means, but i first narrowed my choices down to the two games that have competitive pvp.. then decided to vote for the one which isn't gear dependant.

edit: knowing full well this is a lot like saying 

which band is the most hard core?

justin bieber

new kids on the block

backstreet boys

britney spears

Great Analogy!

• ThoemseThoemse Member UncommonPosts: 457

None of the listed MMOs is even remotely hardcore.

Eve Online, Ultima Online, Darkfall, Mortal Online - those MMOs are hardcore compared to the listed MMOs.

The listed MMOs are games for the large mass. That doesn't make them bad, but they are very streamlined, userfriendly and dumbed down so noone gets pissed off.

There is no definition of what makes an MMO a "hardcore" MMO but it is safe to say that a full loot system or some other way of high risk factor while playing is a good indicator.

• HonnerHonner Member Posts: 504

definitely not SWTOR lol.

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701

none of them

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Thoemse

None of the listed MMOs is even remotely hardcore.

Eve Online, Ultima Online, Darkfall, Mortal Online - those MMOs are hardcore compared to the listed MMOs.

The listed MMOs are games for the large mass. That doesn't make them bad, but they are very streamlined, userfriendly and dumbed down so noone gets pissed off.

There is no definition of what makes an MMO a "hardcore" MMO but it is safe to say that a full loot system or some other way of high risk factor while playing is a good indicator.

this image

the listed games could be considered the 'pop music' of the genre. There is nothing remotely hardcore about any of them, however you interpret it. image

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063

TSW is the most hardcore, but I didn't play GW2, so I can't speak for it. All I know is that TSW is a challenging game when you're soloing, and when you're doing dungeons. It's guaranteed that you'll die, and even moreso if you aren't paying attention. The dungeons have mechanics that reminded me of WoW's raids. Bosses can and will wipe the entire group until you learn their mechanics and get them right. That's just combat, then you have the quests. The quests are probably the most hardcore on the market right now. Investigation missions being the hardest, with other missions containing puzzles and traps as well.

WoW's dungeons and raids could be pretty tough back when I played it in the WoTLK days. I remember groups wiping on a regular basis on dungeon content until they outleveled and geared it, then they became easy. The solo content and quests were not challenging at all. I was regularly soloing mobs 7-8 levels above me starting in my teens after Cata came out. So basically, you only play WoW if you're interested in well polished and fun dungeon/raid content. The trip there, though, is dreadfully boring IMHO.

I found SWTOR to be fun for a bit, moreso the less alts you roll. Some of the solo content could be challenging, but it was mostly easy as well. Not WoW easy, but easy none-the-less. The dungeon content was a nice challenge in the beginning, when no one knew the mechanics. But now that everyone probably does, if you join a flashpoint group as a newb, you're group will just blow right through it. The dialogue was lots of fun though.

In summary, the most challenging out of those 4 that I've played was TSW. However, I quit that game after my first month due to the game not meeting my expectations for a released product and since GW2 being on the horizon and not charging a monthly fee.

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

Looking at these games and their highest level of competition, then I would say WoW - without a doubt.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

I picked Diablo3, it's the only game if it was listed that can't be totally beaten hehe.  not to mention, it even has a Hardcore mode XD

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Salem is more hardcore than that silly list hehe

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

None of those listed for sure.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

Originally posted by Foomerang

Salem is more hardcore than that silly list hehe

i want to play that game so bad.  

would be unfair adding it to this list though.. the poll would be too one-sided :P

• PrenhoPrenho Member Posts: 298
    Originally posted by Yodi2007
    Originally posted by Zorgo

I don't like the premise.

Hardcore isn't a function of the game, it is a function of the player.

There are people who play all of these games casually. There are people who play all of these games hardcore.

A person who spends 80+ hours a week on WoW vs. a person who logs into TSW twice a week for 2 hours. The WoW player is hardcore, even if the content isn't difficult.

Even if you asked the question a different way; which is more difficult?

Well, it depends on how you define it. If it takes 3000 hours to fully equip your toon in wow and in 300 hours of play you've completed every TSW quest......what is more difficult.

It is all too relative and without further parameters, I don't see what actual information can be gleened from this poll.

WoW hardcore...? Don't make me laugh at that! Hardcore isn't playing a game 80 hrs a week to complete a set of gear out of "Hubbed CITIES" to do the same intances over and over again 10 times in a row to get certain pieces or dying over and over without any penalties! Hardcore gameplay is losing  2-3 hours of EXP in one death, losing gear, getting PK'd with a "Mob Train" from other players, true open world bosses, Epic crafting mats from notorius monsters, and Permadeath for "special classes " SWG JEDI" i heard pre NG!

+1

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015

I have to see GW2 endgame before I can determine if it is hardcore. 

Would anyone care to talk about TSW endgame? Players are probably too busy playing it lol XD

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• matcatmatcat Member UncommonPosts: 136

Hardcore to me would be the general difficulty.  While none of the games listed are close to what I would consider hardcore, I'd say TSW out of those choices.

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919

The words casual and hardcore has lost it's meaning to me, considering they get flung around like a hot potato for a wide variety of definitions.

• PrenhoPrenho Member Posts: 298

The right question is: "Which game is less carebear" instead of "more harcore".

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

WoW ? SWTOR ? HARDCORE ?!?!?!?!?

GW2 doesnt sound very hardcore either.

TSW was one of these sandbox games, wasnt it ? Dont know much about it. So maybe thats harcore. I cant rule it out.

Vanguard offers some challenge if the OP is still looking for that.

• thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Depends on what you deem hardcore.  My personal definition is the one that requires the most time investment to achieve anything.

I'd say SWTOR is the most time consuming to actually get anything done of the 4 listed and with its crappy gear grinds etc its by far the one that would swallow the most time.

GW2 is probably the most casual and pick up and play as and when you want.