Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Peter Moore on CNBC about SW:TOR

Comments

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

Originally posted by Tensor25
    Originally posted by erictlewis He tried to sidestep the real question.  Sure you got to bring the payers in, but once they are in you got to keep them.  Something I don't see them doing. This bs that 40% said it was the sub, what about the 60% I wonder what they had to say. Yea it is all double speak at this point.  
     Really? You can't figure this one out?

I think it's pretty safe to say that the other 60% just simply did not like the game and would not return unless it was seriously revamped.

So EA's approach is to cater to the 40% who had the stance of "yes i like the game, but i don't want to pay $15 a month for it".

It's pretty obvious that doing away with the monthly subscription is a much easier route than trying to revamp the game for a player base that doesn't know what it wants.

You're welcome for that clarification.

more cool aid drinking.

40% saying "Ill play the game all the time if its not $15 a month." does not actually translate into those 40% playing because it's free. He also embellishes the statement quite a bit as the exit poll simply lists subscription cost as a reason for leaving. The is no option for I'D PLAY ALL THE TIME if there was not sub cost.

I think f2p will be good for swtor. It may save it from complete dismantlement ... but thats not much of a stretch .. mmos don't really shut down very often. IMO it's pretty much a wash. This game wont improve either way though as the devs are committed to non-mmo "pillars" more than actual mmo pillars.

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• gasperkgasperk Member Posts: 84

Im sorry. But i hope i am not the only one.

But i hate his stupid, lying, face.  He is just as annoying as that Bobby Kotick from Activision. Id punch him in the face all day long.

• WeretigarWeretigar Member UncommonPosts: 600
    Originally posted by creadosk

I see nothing wrong with them not allowing people to post on the forums or the technical forums.  The technical forums etc are for people who are paying for the service and with a limited staff that EA/BW has due to layoffs etc on this project, the resources ie labor need to be prioritized to the customers supporting the game.  In game tickets I am sure will be avaliable to those on the F2P model.  I am not thrilled with how the game turned out but basic business practices need to be followed if they plan to improve. 

My only problem with this is say, someone wants to try this particular mmo, then cant even log on, or has horible fps issues and can't submit a ticket. They must roam indefinatly threw treads hoping one of them has thier exact problem? 

Why would somone sub to a game they cant play or get support on.

Also their f2p platform doesn't have premium like all the other f2p platforms. Its subscribers or leaches and leaches like others have said get treated like 2nd class citizens.

Sometimes games used to inclue patched that would have bugged items or make certain items not match the id anymore so if you moused over it you would crash. Are you not allowed to get help from the forums?

IMHO, I think certain areas of the forums might be better off for subscribers or premium(which is lacking from this plateform). However technical support and general should be open to everyone. 

• jeremyjodesjeremyjodes Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 679

BW Thinks people are pissed now, I have seen what angry star wars fans can do to a company. this aint gonna end well for BW.

Originally posted by jeremyjodes

BW Thinks people are pissed now, I have seen what angry star wars fans can do to a company. this aint gonna end well for BW.

They will get what they deserve. !

It was a Star Wars IP they killed right there.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

Gamers voted with their wallet.  EA deserves the criticism.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

BW died when EA bought them.

I know it is easy to jump on the EA hating bandwagon, but you only have to look at the quality of Dragon Age 2, Mass Effect 3 and SWTOR, compared to previous BW games to see that everything said about EA is absolutely true.

You can't make successful games if the Marketing Director is also the game designer.................games needs to be made by game lovers.

It is very simple, but EA somehow doesn't get it.

They have to thank FIFA games which keep this company afloat.............so they can kill the rest of the industry with their mediocre games.

• WeretigarWeretigar Member UncommonPosts: 600
    Originally posted by ste2000

BW died when EA bought them.

I know it is easy to jump on the EA hating bandwagon, but you only have to look at the quality of Dragon Age 2, Mass Effect 3 and SWTOR, compared to previous BW games to see that everything said about EA is absolutely true.

You can't make successful games if the Marketing Director is also the game designer.................games needs to be made by game lovers.

It is very simple, but EA somehow doesn't get it.

They have to thank FIFA games which keep this company afloat.............so they can kill the rest of the industry with their mediocre games.

Same thing happend to Square Soft they made 1 bad movie and it was game over.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047
    Originally posted by dave6660

I see nothing wrong with them not allowing people to post on the forums or the technical forums.  The technical forums etc are for people who are paying for the service and with a limited staff that EA/BW has due to layoffs etc on this project, the resources ie labor need to be prioritized to the customers supporting the game.  In game tickets I am sure will be avaliable to those on the F2P model.  I am not thrilled with how the game turned out but basic business practices need to be followed if they plan to improve. 

Is the $15 spent in the item shop any different than the $15 spent on the sub?  Funny how they're more than happy to take their money in the cash shop but treat them like second class citizens.

Maybe they will sell forum access and technical support in the item shop? :D

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by erictlewis
    Originally posted by Weretigar

The fans buy it

Actually no they don't have you been on the official swtor forums today.  There have been several threads already that has been locked and some that totaly disapeared.

The people playing a game for subs are rarely the most optimistic about changes like this, my entire guild left EQ2 when it became F2P (we were a smaller guild but we were not the only one. Yet in the end SOE earned more money on it.

In TORs case I am not so sure that will work out long term, TORs problem is that it is fun for 1-3 month and then most players becames bored and quit. It just ain´t massive and social enough to have that long term MMO pull so many games have. I am not so sure changing the model will change that which mean they need a lot of new players every month to keep going.

The game should have launched as B2P from the beginning instead with more group content, just changing it to F2P half a year later is too little too late.

But dang, I really didn´t thought the game would fall so fast when it launched.

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350

A game needs more than raiding and instanced pvp to keep people interested.

• lotapartylotaparty Member Posts: 514

i am gonna give the game a chance and check it out and if i like it i will even sub .

• RawizRawiz Member UncommonPosts: 584

There's no BW, hasn't been for years. (see ME3 ending and salespeeches). I'm so glad that EA is the worst company in U.S. I also hate BW more than anything and hope they get fully consumed by EA and die. Things EA owns most oftenly DIE.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990

He seemed to handle it well. Not sure what he was supposed to do differently. I'm not sure how well their model is going to work though.

I did get a chuckle out of the "we have enough story in the game to keep players interested for months if not years"

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

Originally posted by niceguy3978

Is the $15 spent in the item shop any different than the $15 spent on the sub?  Funny how they're more than happy to take their money in the cash shop but treat them like second class citizens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-2c1cz63-E&feature=player_detailpage#t=34s

Someone already suggested that ;D

• Acebets70Acebets70 Member UncommonPosts: 269

This website has to be on EA's payroll they are still writing pro-SWTOR articles to save face...

Rep > payoff $$$

sigh

• ZetsueiZetsuei Member UncommonPosts: 249
    Originally posted by Alot

I have last night I watched over 100 threads get closed and SWTOR to already state F2P players wont be allowed forum access for technical support.

What the hell, are you serious?

If you are then that would be another master move by EA. It doesn't seem like there'll be enough F2P-Lifeboats to save the TORtanic.

AllisonBerryman
    Old Yesterday , 11:02 PM | #8 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
    While we don't plan on allowing Free Players access to post on the forums, we do ask that you respect other community members, regardless of their status.
    Allison Berryman | Senior Community Coordinator
    Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
    [Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.] [Dev Tracker]

Hahaha, oh EA, you so silly. I would say I am shocked but I'm not. This is why so many people loathe this company with every fiber of their being.

As one of the posters said this will fail. When you make a game F2P and you have roadblocks for them everywhere they won't play the game, let alone spend money on it.

• Mad+DogMad+Dog Member UncommonPosts: 780

even if its free im still not interested, maybe back in 2005 it would have been a good game but not in 2012. Things have changed alot, Swtor is a 2005 game... old hat.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

He tried to sidestep the real question.  Sure you got to bring the payers in, but once they are in you got to keep them.  Something I don't see them doing.

This bs that 40% said it was the sub, what about the 60% I wonder what they had to say.

Yea it is all double speak at this point.  

I wonder if they even miscontstrued what people had said.  I know I might have mentioned something like this on my exit poll. 

"SWTOR, as it stands currently, is not worth a monthly fee."  That phrase could easily be twisted to suit their ideas that I just don't want to pay a monthly subscription, but it's now what I said.  What I said is a direct attack on content longevity and bang for my buck, meaning it has none.  Yet they think I just have issues paying, rofl.  I could be wrong, but I think that's what they are looking at, because to them, these games are about the money first.  When it's only about the money, a great game is very rare.   

• Hydros13Hydros13 Member Posts: 30

AllisonBerryman
    Old Yesterday , 11:02 PM | #8 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
    While we don't plan on allowing Free Players access to post on the forums, we do ask that you respect other community members, regardless of their status.
    Allison Berryman | Senior Community Coordinator
    Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
    [Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.] [Dev Tracker]

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

Interviewer is ignorant, the interviewed is full of shit, nothing to watch here.

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645

He tried to sidestep the real question.  Sure you got to bring the payers in, but once they are in you got to keep them.  Something I don't see them doing.

This bs that 40% said it was the sub, what about the 60% I wonder what they had to say.

Yea it is all double speak at this point.  

40 percent? full of crap, the 15 percent of the 40 percent probably did the survey and said they didnt want to pay for the game because the game doesnt have the potential to grab 15 bucks per month. So really its 25-30 percent that said it was because of the sub so they quit the game. the other 70 percent simply disliked the game, swtor couldn't maintain keeping their players they lost a whole bunch. I noticed he said under hundreds are still subbed but slipped and instead said under a million. Full of crap lol. I hope EA fails as a company and bioware gets to be an independent company again.

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

It didn't happen so I cannot prove this but before SWTOR launched I and others suggested that SWTOR should be b2p with pais for DLC - and maybe an annual charge for taking part in the  multi-player bit.

So the game would be sold as Knights 3 - no sub needed; you play the stories, get your 40 - 200 hours of single player fun and are happy. Also included would be maybe 3 months of server time.

Extra missions / stories etc = DLC. If Boware managed 4 a year @ $10 each say then that would be 2 to 3 months sub.

Then offer extra server time $10 for 3 months maybe. Inexpensive being the key here.

So no complaints about the sub not being worth it; more initial sales; more DLC purchased.

• lalapoolalapoo Member Posts: 16
    Originally posted by ste2000
    Originally posted by rdrakken

EA is still going forward blind.

When SWTOR was made, it was made for an MMO audience yet were making a game that wasnt targetting most of them, hence its population drop off...now they are going F2P, making a shop to target the F2P audience...yet are not making it in a way to target them.

The most successful F2P games, with the MOST F2P players...dont like Paytraps. Just look at the populations of the paytraps...they dont come even REMOTELY close to the actual F2P games. The paytrap shops blow massive batha **** compared to the F2P shops that are filled with this thing called MICROtransactions....something not one single paytrap shop has...transactions yes, MICROtransactions, no.

Once again, SWTOR will miss its target audience. People will go, play part of the game for free, spend next to nothing.

Corporations that grow too large need to stay out of the interactive industries where you are required to be in TOUCH with your audience...they just cant do it.

True that

Look at the population of EQ2, DDO, AoC, LOTRO.....quite pathetic.

Now look at Perfect World and League of Legends population,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Perfect World is also one of the most profitable MMO around, and it is really free.

They make money because people buy equipment..................but you can still get it by playing, if you have lots of time to invest.

Western F2p are just a big con................

Did you just say that perfect world makes sense because you can just buy everything you need in the cash shop or mindlessly grind away, but Western P2P games are "big cons" for asking you to pay 50 cents a day?  I like the last option a hell of allot better, but I also have a job.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by niceguy3978

It wouldn't suprise me.  They could charge by the word.  Emoticons are extra.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville