Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

credit card info stolen

lugallugal Member UncommonPosts: 671
Heads up. Friend had money stolen from his bank account. Both instances came from iceland. His latest eve account change was to cancel his account last week. He has kid about to be born. Check your bank account! Pass the word.
The first transaction was for 29 cents. Then the second was for over 500 dollars. Both transaction were from Reykavik Iceland. This card was the one attached to his eve account.

Roses are red
Violets are blue
The reviewer has a mishapen head
Which means his opinion is skewed
...Aldous.MF'n.Huxley

Comments

• PieRadPieRad Member Posts: 1,108

uhm, that sucks.

Hope your friend can get 'em back somehow.

• Mari2kMari2k Member UncommonPosts: 367

So what ?

Call you CC company, describe the situaion and write a formular that you never allowed the transaucion and you will get your money back.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    How come he has not posted about this on the official forums?
  • lugallugal Member UncommonPosts: 671
    We are both at work right now. He checked his account his phone. Wife is driving to the bank. Feel free to post it on the eve site. My phone doesn't handle eve's site well.

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    ...Aldous.MF'n.Huxley

• dbgagerdbgager Member UncommonPosts: 175

Does not matter if it is Eve online.. Your friend has a key logger on his computer, which intercepts anything he types, and sends the info back  to the  criminals. People need to be careful about what websites they visit.  There are many malicous websites that will infect you with malware like this. He needs to run a program called MalwareBytes Anti-Malware to get rid of the malware. Cancelling his account did not get rid of the key logger. Its just going to happen again.  Eve Online is not the culprit.

Is it a case of a keylogger or have peoples account info been compromised?

Keyloggers are pretty common nowadays. Especially for people who do not  protect their computers with decent firewalls ( which will warn you, the keylogger is trying to access the internet )...and do not run malware scanners occasionaly.  My nephew had his WOW account hacked 3 seperate times ( He would not learn ) If it was a hacked DB at Eve Online. There would already be many complaints, and Eve Online would already be making a statement. They would not make just one transaction. They would be making many transactions if they had access to everybodies info. Could be a hacked DB..But there would be a lot more happening than 1 person complaining if it was. Also it is common practice as of late..for this info to be encrypted in these DBs ( I am not sure if Eve Online is doing this ). SO even if they have the info..chances are they cannot do anything with it. Trion ( Rift ) recently had their DB compromised. The credit card info was infact encryted however, so it was useless to the criminals.

Besides if they have your info..Its already to late. The only thing that can be done is either putting a hold on that CC ( which means you would not be able to use it either )..or cancelling it ( not sure this would work, as they would still charge you for transactions made after the cancelation ).

Teala, I do not know. I was intending to warn people to check their accounts. He won't be able to check his pc till he gets home.

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    ...Aldous.MF'n.Huxley

He need to run a malware scanner..Then you will know.

Dbager, I hope you are correct. Most of my friends and I play eve, and would hate to see this be a ccp database hack.

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    ...Aldous.MF'n.Huxley

• jagd1jagd1 Member Posts: 281

Dbgager  you are forgetting most people will learn this  when they got their monthly  CC mail and after than mass complaints will surface . It may be keylogger or not  , but  no complaints on ccp forums means nothing atm  .

i dont know if CCP dumb to keep CC info on their servers ,but  since this is ccp it is  possible.

• davexenodavexeno Member Posts: 11

Just checked my acct out of paranoia, all clean. 

Well access to the Eve Online DB would show up in that servers log..SO most likely they would be aware of it shortly after it happened...if they are on their toes. When Trions DB where hacked..they came out with warnings, and sent emails to people even though the credit card info was encrypted, and nobodies money was ever stolen.

I think your friend picked up a keylogger.
  • gholstongholston Member Posts: 83
    ...Trying to figure out what this has to do with Eve and why it's in this forum.
  • KiljaedenasKiljaedenas Member Posts: 468
    Originally posted by gholston
    ...Trying to figure out what this has to do with Eve and why it's in this forum.

perhaps some dude who doesn't like Eve and is trying to do everything he can to give it bad publicity?

Where's the any key?