Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Peter Moore on CNBC about SW:TOR

XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,823

....and its not pretty.

http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000106278&play=1

The interview was supposed to be about EAs earnings this quarter but it immediately became about SW:TOR going Free to play.

Comments

• Tensor25Tensor25 Member Posts: 70
    Originally posted by Xiaoki

....and its not pretty.

The interview was supposed to be about EAs earnings this quarter but it immediately became about SW:TOR going Free to play.

Actually I think he defended the decision to transition to the hybrid payment system quite well.

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

The interviewer doesn't really seem to buy it, but then again, who would?

• WeretigarWeretigar Member UncommonPosts: 600

The fans buy it

Originally posted by Weretigar
    The fans buy it

We'll see how many fans remain at the end of Q3 of this year. : )

• rdrakkenrdrakken Member Posts: 426

EA is still going forward blind.

When SWTOR was made, it was made for an MMO audience yet were making a game that wasnt targetting most of them, hence its population drop off...now they are going F2P, making a shop to target the F2P audience...yet are not making it in a way to target them.

The most successful F2P games, with the MOST F2P players...dont like Paytraps. Just look at the populations of the paytraps...they dont come even REMOTELY close to the actual F2P games. The paytrap shops blow massive batha **** compared to the F2P shops that are filled with this thing called MICROtransactions....something not one single paytrap shop has...transactions yes, MICROtransactions, no.

Once again, SWTOR will miss its target audience. People will go, play part of the game for free, spend next to nothing.

Corporations that grow too large need to stay out of the interactive industries where you are required to be in TOUCH with your audience...they just cant do it.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

He tried to sidestep the real question.  Sure you got to bring the payers in, but once they are in you got to keep them.  Something I don't see them doing.

This bs that 40% said it was the sub, what about the 60% I wonder what they had to say.

Yea it is all double speak at this point.  

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

The fans buy it

One way or another

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

The fans buy it

Actually no they don't have you been on the official swtor forums today.  There have been several threads already that has been locked and some that totaly disapeared.

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

At about 2:05 he corrected himself. He was going to say "we're less than a hundred...uhhhh...a million subscribers"

Hmm...the mind inquires as to this little slip of the tongue.

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235
    Originally posted by erictlewis

When has it not been? Seriously EA have spun it since T-10, some of 'it' verging on complete untruth.

I have last night I watched over 100 threads get closed and SWTOR to already state F2P players wont be allowed forum access for technical support.

I have last night I watched over 100 threads get closed and SWTOR to already state F2P players wont be allowed forum access for technical support.

What the hell, are you serious?

If you are then that would be another master move by EA. It doesn't seem like there'll be enough F2P-Lifeboats to save the TORtanic.

• Tensor25Tensor25 Member Posts: 70
    Originally posted by erictlewis

He tried to sidestep the real question.  Sure you got to bring the payers in, but once they are in you got to keep them.  Something I don't see them doing.

This bs that 40% said it was the sub, what about the 60% I wonder what they had to say.

Really? You can't figure this one out?

I think it's pretty safe to say that the other 60% just simply did not like the game and would not return unless it was seriously revamped.

So EA's approach is to cater to the 40% who had the stance of "yes i like the game, but i don't want to pay $15 a month for it".

It's pretty obvious that doing away with the monthly subscription is a much easier route than trying to revamp the game for a player base that doesn't know what it wants.

You're welcome for that clarification.

Originally posted by Alot

If you are then that would be another master move by EA. It doesn't seem like there'll be enough F2P-Lifeboats to save the TORtanic.

AllisonBerryman
    Old Yesterday , 11:02 PM | #8 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
    While we don't plan on allowing Free Players access to post on the forums, we do ask that you respect other community members, regardless of their status.
    Allison Berryman | Senior Community Coordinator
    Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
    [Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.] [Dev Tracker]

• malroth67malroth67 Member UncommonPosts: 66

Yes,  one of the mods(or whatever they are called over there) posted that the F2P crowd wouldn't have access to forums.  That isn't going to last long once the F2P crowd hit,  and BW/EA realize why they can't keep ANYBODY in their game lol :)

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by Xiaoki

....and its not pretty.

hmmm, except that he didn't do anything other than answer the questions according to what other game companies were also doing.

If anything it looked worse for social games.

Are you saying that takinga p2p game to f2p and growing the playerbase so that the revenue model is more about how much each person within that huge volume of people spends is not something that game companies that desire more money are doing?

Regardless of SWToR's shortcomings that's pretty much all he said.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

^^ A facepalm, or even a double facepalm, won't suffice. Headbanging is required to proceed:

*Proceeds*

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

AllisonBerryman
    Old Yesterday , 11:02 PM | #8 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
    While we don't plan on allowing Free Players access to post on the forums, we do ask that you respect other community members, regardless of their status.
    Allison Berryman | Senior Community Coordinator
    Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
    [Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.] [Dev Tracker]

Hmm, looks like more examples of EA not really understanding what they are doing.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• xBarachielxxBarachielx Member Posts: 15

I love the whole "wtf" vibe that permeates when sane individuals are confronted with bullshit spinners.

• creadoskcreadosk Member UncommonPosts: 12

I see nothing wrong with them not allowing people to post on the forums or the technical forums.  The technical forums etc are for people who are paying for the service and with a limited staff that EA/BW has due to layoffs etc on this project, the resources ie labor need to be prioritized to the customers supporting the game.  In game tickets I am sure will be avaliable to those on the F2P model.  I am not thrilled with how the game turned out but basic business practices need to be followed if they plan to improve. 

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Originally posted by rdrakken

EA is still going forward blind.

When SWTOR was made, it was made for an MMO audience yet were making a game that wasnt targetting most of them, hence its population drop off...now they are going F2P, making a shop to target the F2P audience...yet are not making it in a way to target them.

The most successful F2P games, with the MOST F2P players...dont like Paytraps. Just look at the populations of the paytraps...they dont come even REMOTELY close to the actual F2P games. The paytrap shops blow massive batha **** compared to the F2P shops that are filled with this thing called MICROtransactions....something not one single paytrap shop has...transactions yes, MICROtransactions, no.

Once again, SWTOR will miss its target audience. People will go, play part of the game for free, spend next to nothing.

Corporations that grow too large need to stay out of the interactive industries where you are required to be in TOUCH with your audience...they just cant do it.

True that

Look at the population of EQ2, DDO, AoC, LOTRO.....quite pathetic.

Now look at Perfect World and League of Legends population,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Perfect World is also one of the most profitable MMO around, and it is really free.

They make money because people buy equipment..................but you can still get it by playing, if you have lots of time to invest.

Western F2p are just a big con................

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by creadosk

I see nothing wrong with them not allowing people to post on the forums or the technical forums.  The technical forums etc are for people who are paying for the service and with a limited staff that EA/BW has due to layoffs etc on this project, the resources ie labor need to be prioritized to the customers supporting the game.  In game tickets I am sure will be avaliable to those on the F2P model.  I am not thrilled with how the game turned out but basic business practices need to be followed if they plan to improve. 

Is the $15 spent in the item shop any different than the $15 spent on the sub?  Funny how they're more than happy to take their money in the cash shop but treat them like second class citizens.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

"we build the story lines that allow you to stay in the game for months if not years"

which brings me to my next point. don't drink the cool aid.

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• creadoskcreadosk Member UncommonPosts: 12

If you were going to spend $15 a month in the cash shop wouldn't it make more sense to just subscribe and get the same amount of content etc.

• tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937

That's the rub. There's nothing in the cash shop for a non-subscriber to buy. The free part of SWTOR is just an attempt to get people to subscribe. A huge trial if you will. The cash shop appears to just be a way to further milk the dwindiling subscribers.