Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The secret Memory leak in TSW

mastergravymastergravy Member UncommonPosts: 38

ok not really a secret but seemed cool to post like that BUT my real bitch is the Memory leak the game has. every two hours the game crashes out to the error " out fo memory". now i know most will say its me but i highly doubt it due to the fact so many on ther fourms have the same issue as well as friends too. plus all the bugs this game has, its just riddled with problems iam not gonna re-sub and id advise anyone that would want to try this game out pass it by unless you want to deal with these issues. great idea for a game just very poor excution

Comments

• huskie77huskie77 Member Posts: 354

Sorry you are one of the few having this problem. Would you mind sharing some helpful information about your issue such as when it happens and what your system specs are? I have been playing since closed beta and have been lucky not to have any technical issues besides some quest bugs.

To be fair and provide objective reasoning to anyone who reads this post, there is an official bug post regarding this at http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=47481  The thread has been open for 10 days and has approximately 7 people experiencing this problem and occupies only 8 pages. It is indeed a frustrating problem for those experiencing it, but not the end of times event the OP has painted.

It also appears more prevalent with ATI hardware.

• k-damagek-damage Member CommonPosts: 738

lol, Age of Conan memleak all over again ?

***** Before hitting that reply button, please READ the WHOLE thread you're about to post in *****

Given the number of people experiencing it, I figure it to be a low priority fix. It's nowhere near as widespread as the AoC mem leak.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Definitely something about your system, configuration contributing to this.

I've had a few crashes but nothing like you've noted, in fact I ran over 6 hours on Saturday with no crashes of any kind.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• BerikaiBerikai Member Posts: 162

You may want to try running the game in dx9 if you're running it in dx11.There was some problem's with dx11 being a little quirky and causing crashes for some in beta and at release.

I've been playing for month's without a single crash in dx9.

This may not resolve mem leak,but I'd give it a try if you're in dx11.

I would also reiterate that running in Dx9 seems to fix many problems for people.

• ZooceZooce Member Posts: 586

Try the 3gb switch if you run a 32-bit OS.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

After AoC had brought in the new engine, I started having memory problems again but only when I was on the PC that had 32bit windows and 4GB RAM.  If you have 64bit Windows and can fit more RAM, it would probably be worth it.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

Yeah, Funcom's fix for this is to tell you to get a 64 bit operating system and more than 4 GB or RAM.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by mastergravy

ok not really a secret but seemed cool to post like that BUT my real bitch is the Memory leak the game has. every two hours the game crashes out to the error " out fo memory". now i know most will say its me but i highly doubt it due to the fact so many on ther fourms have the same issue as well as friends too. plus all the bugs this game has, its just riddled with problems iam not gonna re-sub and id advise anyone that would want to try this game out pass it by unless you want to deal with these issues. great idea for a game just very poor excution

there is a way to check if a memory leak is happening over time.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• PlaidpantsPlaidpants Member UncommonPosts: 267

"memory leak" aka someone needs a new rig.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by mastergravy

it's time to upgrade from 32 bit vista, like the "send error report" instructs you to do... This is 2012 You should not be running vista 32 that's like 7 years old...

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

Switch to DirectX 9.  DirectX 11 runs poorly on most systems.

• BigRock411BigRock411 Member Posts: 299

If this were actually a memory leak, people with 64 bit OS and 8 gigs+ ram would be running out of memory.

If your running out of memory on your 32 bit OS its because your running out of memory...simple as that.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Magnum2103

Switch to DirectX 9.  DirectX 11 runs poorly on most systems.

If you are running a x4 or higher with 4 gigs of ram, I've found dx11  performs better with less fps drops in large pop areas like battle grounds and fusang. 

I aways switch stuff up to find the best and particularly after this latest update dx11 with out ssao out performs dx9

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • UsualSuspectUsualSuspect Member UncommonPosts: 1,243

I'm not sure if it's a memory leak or I just need more memory. I have 4 Gigs of RAM which isn't really enough these days, I'm looking at getting another 4, but the rest of the system is still good enough for me to be able to run the game on ultra settings with DX11. The longer I play, though, the more my harddrive churns away as my system runs out of memory. When I finally close the game down Windows is so sluggish I need to restart the PC.

It's not a major problem, I can play for hours before it starts to become a bother, but there is something there. They're either not cleaning out old information or there's a memory leak, one of the two. Personally I'm going to guess at the first option, it doesn't feel like a memory leak to me, just the game trying to hold too much information for my PC to handle.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Memory might go a bit ofboard but since its not a large problem, my thinking is its less of a memory leak and more so memory not being cleared up to often enough for an old system to handle the increase. 

I got 8 gigs of Corsiar ram built with overclocking (aka top notch) for about $65. Heck let me link you to some I just randomly found first item on Newegg in ram...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231428

$45 for 8 gigs of ram DDR3 1600

• fallenlordsfallenlords Member UncommonPosts: 683

Same issue happened with AOC, Funcom resolution was to switch to 64bit OS and up your memory.  Which is kind of annoying as they are suppose to support a 32bit client.  Either you support something or you don't, how you can wipe your hands of the matter when things just don't work I don't know. Upograding to a 64bit OS is not a resolution in my mind, it's a kop out for bad programming.

As for the out of memory error, you can try the following which resolved things for some AOC users and might work with TSW.  From a DOS prompt you can do the following which may/may not help and use at your own risk (google info prior to usage)

c:> bcdedit /set increaseuserva 4096 

and if you want to remove the setting

c:> bcdedit /delete increaseuserva 

p.s Don't be fooled by the people that tell you the issue is down to your rig or setup.  If as a 32bit client you can run other recent games without any performance issues, the likelihood is that the problem will be down to Funcom and their engine.  I don't think Funcom understand the word performance in any sense.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

What memory leak ? image

I run with Win 7 64-bit and 16 Gb of RAM. Never had any issues with memory...

• DakirnDakirn Member UncommonPosts: 372
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

What memory leak ? image

People want top of the line graphics/options in an MMO engine but then they don't want to buy the machines to run those options.

No game engine is going to magically run high end specs on 4 gigs of RAM.

The disconnect is that people think this is AoC.. it's not.  It's TSW.  The Dreamworld engine has matured and changed over 4 years.. it's not a 4 year old engine it's a current engine unlike most MMOs who license an old engine and use it for the entire production process.

Just because you could run AoC 4 years ago doesn't mean you can run TSW now.  You'll either need to turn down a lot of options or upgrade your PC.

• fallenlordsfallenlords Member UncommonPosts: 683
    Originally posted by Dakirn

People want top of the line graphics/options in an MMO engine but then they don't want to buy the machines to run those options.

People want games that run at a reasonable performance within the published specs of the game.  Squeezing performance out of defined parameters is what they do with consoles all of the time, so it's not something beyond the realms of possibility.

I don't think Funcom do themselves any favors if the min spec is a 64bit OS and they state you can run it on a 32bit OS.  They may have an updated game engine but it looks like they carried forward the memory leak that was in AOC because its probably an inherent fault in the engine.  Funcom have never been performance orientated and it has always been accepted, as an unwritten rule, that you need a high end PC to run a Funcom game at a reasonable rate without issue.   But because Funcom supply no benchmarks on their games, what performance you should expect is a complete guessing game.   If you favor ATI cards as well you also tend to suffer.

My point is, if you can run a recent game with decent performance and still get the out of memory error with TSW I would point the finger at Funcom and their lack of performance tuning, rather than at the rig or the setup.   If you meet the required specs you should expect reasonable performance, out of memory is not reasonable performance.

Originally posted by SpottyGekko

What memory leak ? image

The disconnect is that people think this is AoC.. it's not.  It's TSW.  The Dreamworld engine has matured and changed over 4 years.. it's not a 4 year old engine it's a current engine unlike most MMOs who license an old engine and use it for the entire production process.

Just because you could run AoC 4 years ago doesn't mean you can run TSW now.  You'll either need to turn down a lot of options or upgrade your PC.

RAM is dirt cheap these days compared to just 2 years ago. However, doing that upgrade themselves is probably well beyond the capacity of the "average" PC user. Having it done by a PC store will increase the price considerably.  And the vast majority of gamers probably run 32-bit windows os's.

Funcom pushed the limits of gfx in AoC, and they're doing it again in TSW. I love them for that, because I'm unashamedly a gfx whore. 

Planetside 2 uses SOE's all-new Forgelight engine, and the gfx look absolutely superb. All the public demos so far have been on pretty beefy machines (running SLI according to rumour). It's a MMOFPS, so smooth play and high framerates will be vital when playing. I'm dying to see how it will run on the "average" gamer's PC though...

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671

Lots of times this happens in games if you run a 32-bit OS.  I know devs wish everyone just had 64-bit already.

Steam: Neph

Originally posted by fallenlords

People want games that run at a reasonable performance within the published specs of the game.  Squeezing performance out of defined parameters is what they do with consoles all of the time, so it's not something beyond the realms of possibility.

I don't think Funcom do themselves any favors if the min spec is a 64bit OS and they state you can run it on a 32bit OS.  They may have an updated game engine but it looks like they carried forward the memory leak that was in AOC because its probably an inherent fault in the engine.  Funcom have never been performance orientated and it has always been accepted, as an unwritten rule, that you need a high end PC to run a Funcom game at a reasonable rate without issue.   But because Funcom supply no benchmarks on their games, what performance you should expect is a complete guessing game.   If you favor ATI cards as well you also tend to suffer.

My point is, if you can run a recent game with decent performance and still get the out of memory error with TSW I would point the finger at Funcom and their lack of performance tuning, rather than at the rig or the setup.   If you meet the required specs you should expect reasonable performance, out of memory is not reasonable performance.

Yes, with consoles it's relatively "easy" to squeeze out the max performance, because all XBOX 360's use exactly the same hardware and OS. With PC's, the possible combinations of hardware and operating systems is immense. Some people still game on windows XP. I'd hate to think how many different gfx cards are out in the wild.

But a memory leak is unforgiveable and should be fixed. I'm just glad that I found a "workaround" for it.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

main issue with 64 bit is a lot of stuff isnt backward!so often if it work on 64 bit something wont work on 86 etc this is why game maker are sketish to go 64 bit !also the fact that it is vastly more complext to be in 64 bit then in x86(wich has been around forever!