Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which do you think is more Hard Core? TSW, GW2, WoW, Swtor?

bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Sorry MMORPG!!! :) but I must know image

I left EVE out just like I leave Wilt Chamberlin out of basketball discussions. EVE is the Wilt Chamberlin of hardcore mmos.

I understand that people have different specific definitions off hardcore. I'm talking in general. No one is going to call Barbie's play house hardcore. 

So which did you choose and why?

inb4 - none of these! Pitfall, now that was hardcore!

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"

Comments

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Hard core? I don't think any of them could be considered hardcore. Maybe Ultima Online pre Trammel?

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Tayah

Hard core? I don't think any of them could be considered hardcore. Maybe Ultima Online pre Trammel?

lmao I was gonna put in a INB4 none of these! image

adding now :)

• MrlogicMrlogic Member Posts: 178

I fail to see how it's even possible to answer such a weird question..

• fonoifonoi Member UncommonPosts: 56
    I have not played GW2, so I will say TSW has some hectic content. Wow was pretty easy and casual for me and swtor was just meh.
  • TwoPlyTwoPly Member UncommonPosts: 29
    Originally posted by Tayah

This^  ;)

Also, people have different definitions of what "hardcore" is.    For some, hardcore might mean a tough gear grind, whereas others feel full pvp loot rights with perma-death. 

Define what you think "hardcore" is and then ask everyone which of those games match closest.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

Darkfall.  None of the above are hardcore.  Well, I guess you could say WoW if you are raiding every night...but that is pushing it.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

Are any of them Navy SEALS? If the answer is no then none of them are hardcore.

• gravesworngravesworn Member Posts: 324
    Can you have a hardcore themepark? Maybe raiding in vanilla wow is about as close as you are going to get with these. Not sure if it is hardcore or hardcore raiding.
  • PyukPyuk Member UncommonPosts: 762

I would say if the criteria falls into the difficulty  for solving quests and the ease of which to potentially gimp your character, I'd have to give it to TSW, hands-down. Having quests that require thinking, exploring and research (if you don't try to look up answers at cheat sites, that is) puts TSW in a catagory by itself compared to the other choices, imo. I say it's about time and I hope more MMOs come out with "hard-core" in mind.

I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.

Originally posted by Badaboom

Darkfall.  None of the above are hardcore.  Well, I guess you could say WoW if you are raiding every night...but that is pushing it.

As you see there are sandbox full loots up here ;)

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Where is the Rift option? 

Out of those... depends how you consider hardcore. I'd say SWTOR would (Sadly) be the most 'hardcore' but none of those really are very hardcore.  Even rift (I just mentioned) isn't all that 'hardcore' compared to what old games are, and Vanguard could blow those games and rift out of the water.

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

It depends what you mean by hardcore. . I would almost say wow. . almost. . since people seem to spend countless sleepless days and nights raiding for one piece of gear. . Those are some of the most "hard core" addicts I have seen.  I don't think the games are very hard core though so I didn't even vote.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• Got_Game_TVGot_Game_TV Member UncommonPosts: 262
    Originally posted by Aethaeryn

It depends what you mean by hardcore. . I would almost say wow. . almost. . since people seem to spend countless sleepless days and nights raiding for one piece of gear. . Those are some of the most "hard core" addicts I have seen.  I don't think the games are very hard core though so I didn't even vote.

WoW because of the time investment.

• sirphobossirphobos Member UncommonPosts: 620
    Originally posted by gravesworn
    Can you have a hardcore themepark? Maybe raiding in vanilla wow is about as close as you are going to get with these. Not sure if it is hardcore or hardcore raiding.

Early Everquest?   A bad Plane of Fear or Plane of Hate raid meant you had a good chance of losing one or more levels, and if it got really bad, you might be at risk of losing your gear entirely.

When Ruins of Kunark came out the patch message about Veeshan's Peak said to enter at your own risk because there was a chance you might wipe and be unable to recover your gear and the GMs would not help you.

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

I will bite at it and say WoW.

The only reason it's been around longer than the other 3.

• HalandirHalandir Member UncommonPosts: 773

It all depends on definition. This is something I would consider hardcore and something I admire.

Anything that relies on mousing/keyboard abilities... Not so much :-)

(Did not vote.)

We dont need casuals in our games!!! Errm... Well we DO need casuals to fund and populate our games - But the games should be all about "hardcore" because: We dont need casuals in our games!!!
    (repeat ad infinitum)

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

The only thing that can be considered hardcore is p*rn.

We are playing VIDEOGAMES.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

People really voted that TSW is "hardcore"?

/facepalm...

None of those games is hardcore, but if I had to vote, I'd still say the game with the less gear dependency, because there the "bad players" can't rely on superior gear to beat players they wouldn't have a chance in hell against in other games.

And I only see one game in that list where gear doesn't give you a tremendous advantage... =P

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

Of the choices given, TSW is more "hardcore", by quite a bit.

If looking at just the difficulty of missions alone, TSW has the most difficult I've ever seen in a themepark MMO, especially the investigation missions.  None of the others really compare.

In TSW, players have to build their own character through the selection of skills.  There's no respec, but no skill cap either.  The others have the normal hand-holding of character classes.

The regular mobs found in the world are less forgiving than in the other games.  There are some areas in-game that are pretty densely packed, making it more necessary for a character to actually be careful.  And, there's no auto-attack, either.

Then there are the little things.  Characters cannot rez others willy-nilly, something that's inexplicably becoming more common to satisfy casual players who can't stand any type of death consequences.  E. Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson are likely spinning in their respective graves at what RPGs have become (or, perhaps they're just hoping for someone to toss them a rez, since anyone can do it).

TSW has less available instant or fast travel, while the other games are choked with it.

At least WoW and SWTOR, like TSW, still make the player find a mailbox to send and receive mail.

Granted, I don't think any of them are as hardcore as some of the FFA sandbox games out there, but TSW is more of a throwback to the themeparks of the past than the other games mentioned.

Oh, and Wilt the Stilt was awesome!

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• Tonin109Tonin109 Member Posts: 201

@= ^_^ =;  DayZ  

to the question, none of them

Originally posted by Rohn

E. Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson are likely spinning in their respective graves at what RPGs have become (or, perhaps they're just hoping for someone to toss them a rez, since anyone can do it).

This is quite funny since it's Gygax in Dungeons and Dragons who kinda invented the "downed state" used in GW2.

Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

Originally posted by The_Korrigan

E. Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson are likely spinning in their respective graves at what RPGs have become (or, perhaps they're just hoping for someone to toss them a rez, since anyone can do it).

This is quite funny since it's Gygax in Dungeons and Dragons who kinda invented the "downed state" used in GW2.

No rez's in TSW!!!@!

I played AD&D, Warhammer, Stormbringer, DC, MArvel and even TMNT... I do not recall a downed state image

Originally posted by bcbully
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

No rez's in TSW!!!@!

I played AD&D, Warhammer, Stormbringer, DC, MArvel and even TMNT... I do not recall a downed state >.>

You don't always die immediately in (A)D&D at zero health, you have a state in which you are bleeding/stunned but you aren't dead yet.

Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

Whitout giving any idea of what "hardcore" is supposed to mean, how can anyone try to answer this question seriously?

I see GW2 votes and WoW votes, but no whys image This is not what's your favorite game... Tell us why you think so.