Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Free to Play This Fall

Comments

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019

I love that people still call it S W O T O R, what in the hell is the extra O for?

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Frist i have to admit my last bought mmo's where Aion and DCUO, Both i didnt play past the free month. Have returned to DCUO for a few weeks when it went f2p, but again since it fe like a normal multiplayer game i didnt last. Now i am or more like WAS a big star wars fan, also a big MMORPG fan. Bit SWTOR never excited me, mainly because it seems to stort drijven, which is the One thing that never evershould be the case with a MM. A MMORPG should be about players freedom and with the right tools to make it a virtual world. If developers keep creating these limited guided mmo's all they will please is the instant gradification players for a short period as those type of players get bored easy.
    Its funny when seeing how people reacted towards SWG ( for me still the best MMORPG ever made) and it lasted so much longer without even going f2p.
    Its a shame to see developers keep making the same mistake to try a grab the instant gradification crowed. It's time MMORPG's are once again developed for actuall MMORPG gamers.
  • aithieelaithieel Member Posts: 232

We all saw it coming

• OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616

I've got a bad feeling about this...

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

• causscauss Member UncommonPosts: 666

WHAT a joke. BioWare + Star Wars + The largest budget ever and they managed to bring a game on the market with no imagination, no creativity and no vision. Amazing really. Well done EA.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by Fendel84M

Not that I hate the game, it wasnt for me...buuut...anyone notice the game doesn't seem to have any hardcore defenders on this site anymore?

Noticed that. I played a trooper to 50, then left. Too much of the content after 25 -28 seems rushed, and the rough edges add up.  Its too bad, as the game could have been much better. I expected it to go F2P, but not nearly this early. EA must really be breathing down their neck. 

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • HEKKRAHEKKRA Member UncommonPosts: 80

free 2 play is still the abomination of MMO's. Especially where you can't do shit when you don't sub or dump dollars into some retarded cash shop.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    Originally posted by remyburke

I read this as, "SWTOR in Free to Play Freefall"

Lol

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by HEKKRA

free 2 play is still the abomination of MMO's. Especially where you can't do shit when you don't sub or dump dollars into some retarded cash shop.

As opposed to P2P abomination of MMO's where you can't do shit when you don't sub.

Well thought out indeed...

• IstrebiteIIstrebiteI Member Posts: 266

F2P is good if you get to try our part of the game for free, and then if you like, you have to pay to experience everything else. Like vanilla Runescape was - 1/3 of the world is available for free, want more - sub! 

F2P is awful if you get to play the whole or most of the game for free, but in order to not be anal raped by PK's or be taken into instances you have to pay money for gear/buffs.

• Mopar63Mopar63 Member UncommonPosts: 300

TOLD YOU SO

When this game release I was the ONLY reviewer that came out and said this game was sub par. Every other review location gave it rave reviews, called is the seocond coming. However I went a step further and stated that in less than a year this game would go F2P.

I was called crazy, I was called buts, I was told I was an idiot. Well today I stand proudly by my original review of this game and do not back pedal like so many in this industry are doing. The difference was I had the balls to call it like I saw it, not hide from the mighty EA.

• DanderXDanderX Member Posts: 15

After the first 20 minutes I played SWTOR in the open beta I said to everybody this is just a KOTOR with chat function. Everybody said I'm troll. At one point playing the beta I had the feeling I'm in WoW. And I'm not even some huge WoW player at all. I just tried the free trials few times out of boredom. I can only imagine what was the feeling for some hardcore WoW-loler. 

As I see it the only way SWTOR would've made it in the long run was if they made it a sandbox MMO a-la SWG+EvE online. They decided to go the theme-park WoW way - they fail, and they deserve it. EA/BW are pahtetic game company wihtout any sense for reality or vision for the future. So much for the quick bucks they made. I hope they break even at least.

• MahavishnuMahavishnu Member Posts: 336

I still remember, how almost one year ago I saw a gameplay-video presented by the proud developers and I found everything very boring, very WoWish and completely disappointing. And then the featuers....

• Jedi as tank (the trinity does not fit into SW at all)
    • space-combat on rails
    • item-grind in PvP
    • raids as endgame-content

There was nothing, that made me curious, but a lot of things that turned me away. However, there were still a lot of players, who liked this game at the beginning. But scepticism began in beta already. So this is not surprising at all.

Obviously, GW2 is looking very good and B2P. So this may be the first victim of GW2. It is going to be very entertaining to see the battle between MoP and GW2 and all their fanboys.

Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need.

• ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265

Hard believe some one play tis game even its F2P.

Originally posted by Arskaaa

Hard believe some one play tis game even its F2P.

No way. GW2 is coming in the end of this month. And to be honest I tried the last week the trial SWTOR and I can't stand it. The world feel dead and they used a lot of reverb on every sound on the game. So the sound makes everything to be distant and disconected from my char. It's odd feeling.

But the main thing I just can't play it is that my mouse have unbelieveble acceleration. It was the same in beta. I don't know if it is just me but there is no fix too. Read few topics on the forum seems there are others that feel the accel too but BW just can't fix it from 7 months now. So, no. I won't play SWTOR even if BW president come and make me a nice jb.

Originally posted by Mopar63

TOLD YOU SO

When this game release I was the ONLY reviewer that came out and said this game was sub par. Every other review location gave it rave reviews, called is the seocond coming. However I went a step further and stated that in less than a year this game would go F2P.

I was called crazy, I was called buts, I was told I was an idiot. Well today I stand proudly by my original review of this game and do not back pedal like so many in this industry are doing. The difference was I had the balls to call it like I saw it, not hide from the mighty EA.

A lot of us saw this game will fail fast. It's just that we're unimportant for the game industry. Everyboy wants to hear only good things and more cash from the masses.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

If they do SoE free to play model, I will not be intrested. If its GW2 F2P, then I may come back. Lock people out of content till you pay 15 bucks a month is not F2P. Also they monthly fee on this game is only part of the problem. Class balance, faction balance, major gear grind, 80% of the content at top level is gery con and not worth playing. Add a level down system that rewards you for your level like in GW2 so you can play and explore all the planets. Also PvP should be skill based not gear = win. Also make Illum (Open world objective zone) fun to play. There is little reason to go there and again the faction balance makes it not worth playing. Go as a republic its 4 to 1, go as a Sith and its easy mode 1 to 4. Take a look at how DAoC balanced factions, they did a great job of it. Do this and it will solve most of the major problems. 

• AirtaeeAirtaee Member UncommonPosts: 84

SWG 8 SWTOR 0

Or SWG: 8 years

SWTOR: 8 months

It's time for a come back. 

• CatibrieCatibrie Member UncommonPosts: 87
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle

If they do SoE free to play model, I will not be intrested. If its GW2 F2P, then I may come back. Lock people out of content till you pay 15 bucks a month is not F2P. Also they monthly fee on this game is only part of the problem. Class balance, faction balance, major gear grind, 80% of the content at top level is gery con and not worth playing. Add a level down system that rewards you for your level like in GW2 so you can play and explore all the planets. Also PvP should be skill based not gear = win. Also make Illum (Open world objective zone) fun to play. There is little reason to go there and again the faction balance makes it not worth playing. Go as a republic its 4 to 1, go as a Sith and its easy mode 1 to 4. Take a look at how DAoC balanced factions, they did a great job of it. Do this and it will solve most of the major problems. 

This... also add player houses pls. I would also like an apperance tab or town clothing tab.

• CatibrieCatibrie Member UncommonPosts: 87
    Originally posted by Airtaee

SWG 8 SWTOR 0

Or SWG: 8 years

SWTOR: 8 months

It's time for a come back. 

I tried SWG and it was not worth the time. The combat was old and clunky.

• lifeordinarylifeordinary Member Posts: 646

TOLD YOU SO

Maybe you should quite reviewing then if according to you F2P means game is subpar. Was LOTRO subpar too? yes SWTOR could be average for variety fo reason but i can't help but wonder why people associtae F2P model with failure?

According to recent reports SWTOR still has 500K players, LOTRO had similar population when it decided to go F2P. I don't understand your logic here really.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022
    Originally posted by lifeordinary

TOLD YOU SO

Maybe you should quite reviewing then if according to you F2P means game is subpar. Was LOTRO subpar too? yes SWTOR could be average for variety fo reason but i can't help but wonder why people associtae F2P model with failure?

According to recent reports SWTOR still has 500K players, LOTRO had similar population when it decided to go F2P. I don't understand your logic here really.

This dirrectly from ea from their anual reports earning from this link, so it is not made up.  This is ea saying this

First, the game many of you have been tracking closely, Star Wars: The Old Republic. 
    Although it launched well, subscriptions have been on a declining trajectory and have now
    slipped below one million.  Last year we announced that the breakeven point was roughly
    500,000 subscribers.  And while we are well above that today, that’s not good enough.

So that is ea themselves saying that number is not good enough so yes I don't know how you can blindly say that the game is doing good when ea themselves are saying the game is in the dumpster.

Link to ea investors site

http://investor.ea.com/

No to mention Lotro was loosing tons of player after mom. Yes free to play saved the game for them but it replaced a lot of veteran players with the new type of player.  I got a lifetime sub and I still have not played since it went free to play.

• ZeGermanZeGerman Member UncommonPosts: 211
    Originally posted by Dalmont

F2P i guess is the model for crap. Real games are subscription :P

I would agree with you if some of the most monetarily successful games of all time werent f2p.  Both of the games with the highest user base in the world LoL and WoT are both f2p.  So basicaly no real games are not always subscription.

• wildtalentwildtalent Member UncommonPosts: 380

I'd get ready to see a whole lot more of these conversions in the near future.  Not that there are a lot of P2P AAA titles left anyway.  After Guild Wars 2 hits the market the bar is going to be set incredibly high with what they offer for a B2P game.  Other developers simply will not be able to release half-finished, unpolished games anymore.  Mark my words GW2 will change things.

• lifeordinarylifeordinary Member Posts: 646
    Originally posted by erictlewis
    Originally posted by lifeordinary

TOLD YOU SO

This dirrectly from ea from their anual reports earning from this link, so it is not made up.  This is ea saying this

First, the game many of you have been tracking closely, Star Wars: The Old Republic. 
    Although it launched well, subscriptions have been on a declining trajectory and have now
    slipped below one million.  Last year we announced that the breakeven point was roughly
    500,000 subscribers.  And while we are well above that today, that’s not good enough.

So that is ea themselves saying that number is not good enough so yes I don't know how you can blindly say that the game is doing good when ea themselves are saying the game is in the dumpster.

Link to ea investors site

http://investor.ea.com/

No to mention Lotro was loosing tons of player after mom. Yes free to play saved the game for them but it replaced a lot of veteran players with the new type of player.  I got a lifetime sub and I still have not played since it went free to play.

Yes EA said number is not good enough because naturally they care for more money than they are making right now. It is EA after all but my original point remains. Only because a game is going F2P doesn't automatically means it is a failure.

A MMO can go F2P for variety fo reasons. Lotro population was quite stable by the way, they were not losing a lot of players but after they saw the success of DDO F2P model they decided to turn LOTRO into freemium MMO.

I remember this very well because all the players were puzzled that why suddenly Turbine is taking this step since LOTRO population was quite stable, it wasn't increasing but certainly not decreasing either.

SWTOR still has second biggest population for a P2P MMO today, if that is failure i don't know what is success..regardless of what money hungry EA thinks is good enough number.

The only other P2P MMO that surpasses SWTOR is WOW with 10+ million players. But then again WOW is an exception not a rule.

And since SWTOR is stil keep subscription option open something tells me that is where most of the players will end up, The only difference is that players won't be playing for the client this time.

I won't be surprised if population goes above 1 million in few months..so much a for failure MMO.