Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Free to Play Option Coming This Fall

Comments

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Actually the free plan looks to be pretty generous.

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203

The main attraction of this game is the class stories. They're giving that away for free.... and actually expecting people to spend money on the other, mediocre MMORPG features? Am I the only one who sees a flaw in this logic? :)

• KyngBillsKyngBills Member UncommonPosts: 452
    Originally posted by wormywyrm

Lol, I am proud to say that I completely predicted this 1-3 months before the games release saying that 6-18 months after release the game would go F2P.  This was what their plan was in the beginning I am sure!!

I doubt VERY much they planned this all out because the plan would have included expecting a loss of close to 2/3 of Subscribers...They never wanted F2P...This is a last ditch effort to save a Game that was poorly Developed...This is a Hail Mary...Albeit a good, smart Hail Mary...But a Hail Mary nonetheless...These BioWare Devs are FAR too full of themselves to have ever wanted a F2P option...They thought this Game was going to be WOW-like from the get-go...They really did...And they still don't understand what is basically wrong with the Game...But without a F2P option they know it's going to die...So this is the logical next step...It was never planned...But it's obvious it had to happen...And the sooner the better...

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

I'm shocked.  Completely shocked.  /s

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789

CANT STOP LAUGHING LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704
    Originally posted by KyngBills

Lol, I am proud to say that I completely predicted this 1-3 months before the games release saying that 6-18 months after release the game would go F2P.  This was what their plan was in the beginning I am sure!!

I doubt VERY much they planned this all out because the plan would have included expecting a loss of close to 2/3 of Subscribers...They never wanted F2P...This is a last ditch effort to save a Game that was poorly Developed...This is a Hail Mary...Albeit a good, smart Hail Mary...But a Hail Mary nonetheless...These BioWare Devs are FAR too full of themselves to have ever wanted a F2P option...They thought this Game was going to be WOW-like from the get-go...They really did...And they still don't understand what is basically wrong with the Game...But without a F2P option they know it's going to die...So this is the logical next step...It was never planned...But it's obvious it had to happen...And the sooner the better...

EA doesnt give a s*&t about prescribers.  They load their money into single player elements and marketing so that they can get more initial sales but they skimp on balance, pvp, social, and player investment features/sandbox features.  This screams short term goals, which is consistant with the business model of EA.  Success to them is determined by initial sales, which can be pointed to in board rooms shortly after the initial investment went up.  Success can then be reinforced with a 'second push' when the game goes F2P.  They'll count this as a 'success' because it made them a bit of $$...  

BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY:  This game was anything but a success to the genre, to history, and to MMORPG players.  It will be forgotten except to be ridiculed, which has already begun.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371

I ll play it again as free. I liked the game, just not at 14.99 a month. Why wouldn t you. The f2p model is decent to play casually, and you can duo most of the game anyways. Who cares about operations, if you re not a raider, its pretty damn good.

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

EA blaberring about F2P is the future was for a reason, they needed to soften the blow from SWTOR going f2p. 

• KyngBillsKyngBills Member UncommonPosts: 452
    Originally posted by KyngBills

EA doesnt give a s*&t about prescribers.  They load their money into single player elements and marketing so that they can get more initial sales but they skimp on balance, pvp, social, and player investment features/sandbox features.  This screams short term goals, which is consistant with the business model of EA.  Success to them is determined by initial sales, which can be pointed to in board rooms shortly after the initial investment went up.  Success can then be reinforced with a 'second push' when the game goes F2P.  They'll count this as a 'success' because it made them a bit of $$...  

BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY:  This game was anything but a success to the genre, to history, and to MMORPG players.  It will be forgotten except to be ridiculed, which has already begun.

LOL...Sure...EA doesn't care about losing a million Subs...Which is about $15 million per Month...Sure...Keep telling yourself that...image

• dronfwardronfwar Member Posts: 316
    Originally posted by Suzie_Ford

that Nihilius looks so shit... he was at least 8.5'' in KotOR 2. WTF is this??? FAIL!

• lotapartylotaparty Member Posts: 514
    Originally posted by dronfwar
    Originally posted by Suzie_Ford

that Nihilius looks so shit... he was at least 8.5'' in KotOR 2. WTF is this??? FAIL!

i am sure it is a resized pic

• BanegrivmBanegrivm Member UncommonPosts: 262

It's not a resized pic. Take a close look at the way the saber is being held, it's length, the posture, form, etc. That's a female sith in black robes wearing a mask that "looks but isn't quite Nihilus". Notice the way some of the marks curb upwards around the mouth. I don't remember that on the original mask for Darth Nihilus. Also look at the temple. It too is different. It's not Nihilus at all but just another Sith.

Banegrivm
    Leader of the 1st Fist of Light
    www.1stfistoflight.com

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

Going F2P is such a bad move.

From 1-49 SWTOR is a decent game.

Making 1-49 free and asking money for lvl50 content is just redonkulous Oo

• 3-4thElf3-4thElf Member Posts: 489

Eww. This gives Free to Play games a bad name.

They should've just closed it.

a yo ho ho

• mussolinimussolini Member UncommonPosts: 200

Fast fail.

• cyress8cyress8 Member Posts: 832

Guess some of the people that predicted it will go F2P before it hit 1 year were right. :D

BOOYAKA!

• SteamRangerSteamRanger Member UncommonPosts: 920

Like LOTRO before it, SWTOR is about to be invaded by the Skint Armada!

"Soloists and those who prefer small groups should never have to feel like they''re the ones getting the proverbial table scraps, as it were." - Scott Hartsman, Senior Producer, Everquest II
    "People love groups. Its a fallacy that people want to play solo all the time." - Scott Hartsman, Executive Producer, Rift

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

OK, Swtor F2P this fall. I also want WAR F2P... come one EAWARE/Mythic

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    Unless you are wow, you don't make money off of subs. Most profit is made off of initial sales. AoC initial sales netted 2mill in profit.

And about gw2. PvE isn't meant to keep most people playing, just enough to guarantee that expansions net profit, just like gw1.

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

This is not unexpected, seeing as thi have been EA's way of doing stuff for some time. This makes me even more ceartin that WAR actually makes to little money to be worth switching over to F2P... And that is kinda sad in several ways.

This have been a good conversation

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147

They make games way to easy these days and it doesnt hold the attention of the player base. Im sorry but for the amount of time nad money this game was just bad. More and more games try to fit into the single player console style rpg and it just doesnt work. Who wants to pay 15/month for a single player game?

Still cant believe they got rid of SWG for this, SWG though having a small player base was 100 times the mmo TOR was. Bring it back now, you probably make more money from SWG than you would TOR.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Good Sirs, if you see the Bioware dudes next time, can you, with all given politeness, ask them WHEN THE HECK I WILL GET MY DAMN NAMES BACK THEY STOLE FROM ME WHEN ABANDONING MY SEVRVER?

Sorry.

That really, really, REALLY upset me. And I really, really would wish to know an answer to that. Can you and your associates arrange that?

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652

now bioware can you please make warhammer online and DAOC free to play also KThx!

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993
    Originally posted by cronius77

now bioware can you please make warhammer online and DAOC free to play also KThx!

Might as well make UO F2P also. Since a much better version of it is already available for free elsewhere.

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652

you are right about that but seriously people can talk all the crap they want about warhammer online but if they made it free to play where you pay for the tiers and other stuff they would see a HUGE player increase because anyone who enjoys pvp similiar to GW2 and DAOC will go and play it. WAR is a great game at its core design but mythic is just idiots with the lack of patches and communication with their community. WAR was doing fine until mythic lost most of their staff and stopped all talk with its community now its just a damn husk and sell of its former self. Some of my favorite memories recently came out of WAR at release next to DAOC its the most fun ive had in a mmorpg.