Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Free to Play This Fall

Comments

• delta9delta9 Member UncommonPosts: 358

Good move Bioware/EA f2p/sub hybrid is exactly the best way to make the most money you can from a fun and enjoyable game. I welcome this change and I will stay a subscriber.

For those who think any model including f2p is a failure, are you living in the past or something?

• liliyoliliyo Member Posts: 43
    Originally posted by MMOman101

This has to be one of the fastest release to fail ever.  I know APB was fast, but don't remember how fast.

I never played it and it did not look like something I would pay for. 

This went F2P faster than I thought it would. 

dam lol....stop trying making this game a failure,the game still has a mil sub ACTIVE

they went f2p cause its the best model and the future of the genre.

• MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786
    Originally posted by liliyo
    Originally posted by MMOman101

This has to be one of the fastest release to fail ever.  I know APB was fast, but don't remember how fast.

I never played it and it did not look like something I would pay for. 

This went F2P faster than I thought it would. 

dam lol....stop trying making this game a failure,the game still has a mil sub ACTIVE

they went f2p cause its the best model and the future of the genre.

I am sure WoW will go F2P next month becuase it is the "best model and the future of the genre."

Whatever you have to tell yourself.

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

• xBarachielxxBarachielx Member Posts: 15
    Originally posted by liliyo
    Originally posted by TweFoju

i predicted this a week after the game was released, i got trolled

now who's laughing?

ha ha ha ha

[mod edit]

[Self Edit]

• XerithXerith Member Posts: 970

Sweet now I'll get to finish my class stories without having to pay anything. Works for me. 

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198

WoW is a fluke, and any honest person would admit that.  And as a general rule, games which adopt a Freemium model live long, healthy lives, and enjoy higher revenue levels than they did when they were subscription only.  People did vote with their wallets, and they did vote no; but a very large portion of them were not voting no to TOR, they were voting no to the subscription only model, as most players have done in every MMO since WoW.  This is the smart move.  The only truly stupid thing they did was not realizing that *before* they launched the game.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• PlamgarPlamgar Member Posts: 17

I played the trial version and i said to my self then.This game is awesome but it will become F2P soon.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,049
    Originally posted by WhiteLantern

Content delivery "every 6 weeks".

*eyes DCUO CE on desk

Ya, I'll believe that when I see it.

They barely put out big patches every 3 months, with little actual content added.  How are they going to put out content every 6 weeks with a reduced staff?  If they had done that to begin with they may have lasted longer as a sub game.  I liked the game, there just wasn't enough of it, and to me there still isn't.  We would have had about 5 content updates by now if they had done this to begin with.  They also have to make it decent content if they expect people to pay for it a la cart.  Six decent actual content patches could have done wonders from the beginning.

• CookieTimeCookieTime Member Posts: 353

Game of the year 2011.

Eat me!

• UW1975UW1975 Member Posts: 183

Dunno for others, but I will probably get back to SWTOR, at least getting my Consular to level 50 and finish his story. then who knows.

Honestly, I think all games will adopt in the future a Hybrid system, so those hardliners who are willing only to play in sub based games probably will have to find a new hobby soon. And there is nothing right or wrong about it, it is the evolution of business. it happens in every market. 

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824

lmbo

• aslan132aslan132 Member UncommonPosts: 620

I actually had fun in the beta for SWTOR. For about an hour. Then I immediately realized this game would be F2P in 6 months. Damn, i was wrong. They lasted 7. Oh well. 

Every game has its fanboys and its haters. I was neither. The game had its merits, and also its weaknesses. Anyone even slightly objective would have called this one right the first time you logged into it. You can sell people on KOTOR:Multiplayer and expect $15 a month. Sure the media game the game great reviews, and if you read the articles, they highlight some of the wonderful things the game has to offer. Sadly the media purposefully glasses over the blatant problems the game has in hopes thier articles cant ever be called into question for causing the game to fail. Maybe if the media was alittle more objective, companies would take thier opinions more seriously.

And for the record, I would be very very surprised if TSW even lasts 7 months before the F2P announcement. Sure its a great game, hates and fanbois alike relax. But then again, theres no way in hell it deserves 15 a month. Sorry, those days are over. I dont like it, but Im not ignorant enough to know its not the way things are going.

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198

Originally posted by Epic1oots

lol. Their sub base sucked that bad huh.

If you paid much attention to the numbers, you would know that games which convert to a Freemium model typically see an *increase* in subscribers over time, relative to their level of success prior to the conversion, not a decrease, as free players who had previously not tried the game get tired of the restrictions imposed on the free model and upgrade.

The only reason WoW not converting makes any sense is because everybody and their dog who is even theoretically interested in playing a MMO has already tried it, so the only growth potential left for their sub numbers would be bringing back people who quit.  Most of whom quit because they are thoroughly tired of the game, not because of the financial cost of playing

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

Well for the industry and for us gamers, I'm sad this happened so quickly. But I think they will do well with the F2P hybrid model.

It certainly renewed the LOTRO fanbase and provided the funding necessary to support the game in a great way. Good luck to everyone involved.

• gravesworngravesworn Member Posts: 324
    Even if it is still a decent game. Sorry, i am not doing anything to help EA or Origin survive. The gaming industry is better off without them. I greatly enjoyed battlefield 3 but it isnt woth it spend what they want for it. Off to Smite and dota2 until august 25th for me.
  • CenthanCenthan Member Posts: 483

I find this all beyond bizarre.  I mean this game was hyped even more than WAR, and seems to have failed even quicker.

Wasn't this the game that was...

2011 GAME OF THE YEAR JUST 11 DAYS AFTER RELEASE BEFORE THE END OF THE YEAR IN 2011???

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/336967/page/1

Now, less than a year later it's going free to play??? 

Hey, I got it!  Maybe they can switch it to F2P on the anniversary of it's release on 12/20/12.  Then it could be voted best Free to Play Game of 2012!!   image

• xBarachielxxBarachielx Member Posts: 15

8.7!!!

• lucasdeislucasdeis Member Posts: 59

only i am sad for 2 things, i don't about the F2P if i am continue paying 15 dolars but i am sad because i am going to lose friends of my guild and i am not going to see MAKEB soon maybe in the future but i wanted soon damn 

• KyuzoS8KyuzoS8 Member Posts: 13

funny thing was i was screaming in chat the game was gonna go F2P up to 50 and one of the subbers was like no it won't.... hah! in your face!

ima play the hell out of this game and get my story worth.
  • Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359
    Originally posted by xBarachielx

8.7!!!

That wasn't a rating, that was just MMORPG's estimate regarding how many months it would take the game to go F2P...and I think they were pretty close to right on the money ;).

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

I still enjoy the game and now I can play all the stories for free if I choose. Best news I've heard today.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359
    Originally posted by Jaedor

Well for the industry and for us gamers, I'm sad this happened so quickly. But I think they will do well with the F2P hybrid model.

It certainly renewed the LOTRO fanbase and provided the funding necessary to support the game in a great way. Good luck to everyone involved.

I honestly see it as something good for the industry.  It is a clear sign that players aren't going to shell out $15 a month for years to play a sub-par WoW clone with a mediocre Bioware story attached to it.

It's a wake-up call that the "WoW+1" method is just not going to work.  It hasn't worked for so many games, and now the "golden boy" of the WoW+1 method has failed.  I really think this is going to herald the end of WoW clones...at least the end of them as the dominant kind of MMORPG.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• Einherjar_LCEinherjar_LC Member UncommonPosts: 1,055
    Originally posted by GamerUntouch
    Originally posted by bcbully

7 months is that a record?

APB lasted like a month.

APB had no where near the budget SWTOR did.

So IMO, yes this is a record considering this was the most expensive (supposed)MMO to date to be produced.  To fail this badly, at this level is unprecedented and I doubt we'll ever see something quite like it again.

Whether that's good or bad for the genre remains to be seen.  Good if developers learn from it going forward.  Bad if they don't, and continue with the same regurgitated crap we've been getting since 2004.

Einherjar_LC says: WTB the true successor to UO or Asheron's Call pst!

• cyress8cyress8 Member Posts: 832
    Originally posted by Creslin321
    Originally posted by xBarachielx

8.7!!!

That wasn't a rating, that was just MMORPG's estimate regarding how many months it would take the game to go F2P...and I think they were pretty close to right on the money ;).

lol, low blow, bro.

BOOYAKA!

• SentimeSentime Member UncommonPosts: 270

This is the end of the sub to play model.

All MMO's should just release like this.