Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

travel times

eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

I picked up this game and despite its terrible land combat and its passable sea combat I found it ok. The main problem I have with it is the loooooong, loooooooong travel times, maybe it gets better if you have played for 200 hours and can get a fast ship-I don't know,  I used to think Eve was bad, this makes Eve look like a bullet train in Europe.  That being said trading is good if you can get the right skills (not always easy) and the small population is friendly, it is free and the cash shop is not over bearing. I think it would be much more successful if they cut down exploration time by about 25%.  Right now I am running through the intermediate school tutorial and for the most part good time with some serious flaws

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351

You do get faster as you go along.  One way is that you can get faster ships as you get higher level.  Another is with special shipbuilding upgrades, which can add quite a bit to your sailing speed.  Special shipbuilding permits are from the item mall, but they're cheap:  I've spent $10 total over the course of 10 months.

You can also buy a "wind king's amulet" from the item mall to sail 30% faster for 15 days.  It costs $5.90, or about $12/month if you want to keep it active perpetually.  That is more expensive, of course, but that's one of the major ways they hope to actually make some money on the game.

With special shipbuilding permits but not the wind king items, the longest distance voyages for me take about an hour if it's just from one point to another.  That's for extremely long routes such as Britain to New Zealand.  Naturally, most routes are a lot faster than that.

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    Originally posted by Quizzical

You do get faster as you go along.  One way is that you can get faster ships as you get higher level.  Another is with special shipbuilding upgrades, which can add quite a bit to your sailing speed.  Special shipbuilding permits are from the item mall, but they're cheap:  I've spent $10 total over the course of 10 months.

You can also buy a "wind king's amulet" from the item mall to sail 30% faster for 15 days.  It costs $5.90, or about $12/month if you want to keep it active perpetually.  That is more expensive, of course, but that's one of the major ways they hope to actually make some money on the game.

With special shipbuilding permits but not the wind king items, the longest distance voyages for me take about an hour if it's just from one point to another.  That's for extremely long routes such as Britain to New Zealand.  Naturally, most routes are a lot faster than that.

Yea one of the nice things about this game is you can play it on an old crappy computer which I am using now as I  save for a new computer, as a matter of fact Quiz you just answered my question on the Hardware forum "Looking to buy a $1,000 computer-----help" so I thank you for both answerers.

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

I find sail handling helps a lot.  Also don't forget you can add extra sails at the shipyard and that sails (horizontal vs vertical) help in different areas.

Also wanted to say that i agree about the combat, although i would have used the word bare-able rather than passable(but that's probably due to previously playing bounty bay)