Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Free to Play This Fall

Comments

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664

Useless. They are soo deep in the hole, the ftp model is going to have to be very restrictive in the hopes people will spend money.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

7 months is that a record?

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • UNH0LYEV1LUNH0LYEV1L Member UncommonPosts: 571

Jesus christ seriously? I even like SWTOR but this is death of the game.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by ignore_me
    Originally posted by Foomerang

Can we have SWG back now?

lol no doubt

lmao

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • GamerUntouchGamerUntouch Member Posts: 488
    Originally posted by bcbully

APB lasted like a month.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Oooo...

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Originally posted by GamerUntouch

It's funny because the game's actually pay2win now.

F2P players can't do operations, which are raids.

Raids give the best gear. if you don't pay you can't get the best gear.

Just wait for their cash shop.  It is EA after all. Remember Swtor is getting one, freemium style.

Not initial cash shop,  wait for what will be in it 6+ months after freemium transition.  (or earlier if they really want / need some of those 200 mln $ invested money back).

• gasperkgasperk Member Posts: 84

even as F2P they will have a hard time with so many better games out there and new ones coming out.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by gasperk

even as F2P they will have a hard time with so many better games out there and new ones coming out.

true, at least they can be competitive now though.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341
    Originally posted by GamerUntouch
    Originally posted by bcbully

APB lasted like a month.

Eh, yeah, but that wasn't really an mmorpg. It was more like a mutliplayer FPS. Sort of a different vein.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

They must have lost hundreds of thousands be down to less than 250k subs now for them to do this so quickly. Server consolidations, free to play. The game didn't even make it a year, before it sank, ouch.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

I think they will find their income from this game will increase.  Players like spending money in small increments and will end up paying more than they would with a sub.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by Fendel84M

Not that I hate the game, it wasnt for me...buuut...anyone notice the game doesn't seem to have any hardcore defenders on this site anymore?

I know a couple and I've noticed slowly that they have begun to recede in their convictions about just how bad this game is. it's not new i've seen it before on this website, the people who are fanatics without being objective about the reality of the situation usually suddenly become more objective later on after being crazed about a title. 

On this site tho I've noticed people have completely disappeared when it comes to this subject because despite popular belief, GW2 is not the most hyped game ever, it was SWTOR that definitely started the trend (and i hate the hyped word as it's usually used wrong) in this case, SWTOR devs directly did hype their game by making it seem like one would start their game and notice right away that what they would be doing while playing is completely new and that it was the best gaming experience.

• Paradigm68Paradigm68 Member UncommonPosts: 890
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

I think they will find their income from this game will increase.  Players like spending money in small increments and will end up paying more than they would with a sub.

That depends on people playing it.

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,079

F2P is the future even in the west. Sorry for those of you who don't want to admit this, but it's true. Subscriptions are dying, people don't want an added bill these days when they have no guarantee of tangible content or material for their money each month. New games launching are going right off the bat with F2P or B2P approaches, or mixes of both. It's just what it is, I'm excited to see the more aggressive approach to content.

Believe me, I love subscriptions traditionally and plan to subscribe to SW:TOR even as it is F2P for the perks. But this is the best way to go with MMO's, giving people options is better for business.
  • SirGradySirGrady Member UncommonPosts: 30

HAHA....

scnr *g*

• RossbossRossboss Member Posts: 240

Microtransactions are the devil. The fact that the game cost so much to produce means they are going to push the cash shop just as hard to make up for their failure. It isn't LoL where they run off of aesthetics and shortcuts, it will be like Perfect World where it's 10 times cheaper to just pay for WoW.

That and their universe is packed with lore that nobody aside from Star Wars fans cares about.

I played WoW up until WotLK, played RoM for 2 years and now Rift.
    I am F2P player. I support games when I feel they deserve my money and I want the items enough.
    I don't troll, and I don't take kindly to trolls.

• dillettidilletti Member Posts: 73

I miss SWG ...

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

But what is there that anyone would spend $ on? The character perks? Legacy gear? Pets? Different colored speeders or light sabers? None of those are even worth spending credits on. There isn't enough in the game that is desireable. It's just too simple of a game.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Originally posted by Tayah
    Originally posted by Phaleg31

Now, can Daniel Erickson and the game director, forgot the name, PLEASE BE FIRED NOW?

WOULD SOMEONE OVER THERE DO THE RIGHT THING AND GIVE THOSE TWO KNUCKLEHEADS THEIR WALKING PAPERS?

James Ohlen that buggeyed egotistical imbecile.

This Guy

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

So yea, totally called this (albeit a couple months over my estimation as I predicted it'd go F2P by the end of June) prior to SWTOR's release, and I was called a troll / hater?

SWTOR is what it is, a very bad singleplayer game with COOP elements. Sorry, it's not an MMO, and it most certainly isn't "Fun".

What a waste of the StarWars IP.

Also, internal discussion @ LA is that if SWTOR's license is canceled there will NEVER be another StarWars MMO. Ever.... :(

They plan to shoot primarily for Console only games, or Social gaming on Mobile products. Such a pathetic company :I.

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

SWTOR is not going free to play, there is no need to panic.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

I guess i´ll be back someday when it goes FTP so i can fihish leveling my main left at lvl 47....

I was bored before reaching lvl cap..

I guess 3 more lvls won´t be that painfull without having to pay a sub again....

lol

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

What pisses me off is this:

When you decide to let your subscription lapse, your account will automatically be downgraded and it will operate under the Free player restrictions. You will need to choose what items to keep with you within the restriction levels of the free access. Furthermore, you will be able to see, but not use, your excess credits, inventory slots, bank tabs, and extra characters.

Another one of those foolish half-assed decisions. They want to go the F2P route of LOTRO and other games, but if you want to drop out of the sub for a time you don't actually get to KEEP the stuff you've made over months of play?

Way to piss off your long-standing customers.

The game should at least have a free->silver->gold / premium acount type, with silver being for people who have paid for something in the game and who get to keep what they attained.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• bingbongbrosbingbongbros Member UncommonPosts: 689

Ok. First, fix the typo in the first sentence lulz.

and second.... BLAHAHAHHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!! that is all i can say to this announcement! HA!!!!

Playing: Smite, Marvel Heroes
    Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge
    Waiting On: Nothing. Mmorpg's are dead.