Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Free to Play This Fall

Comments

• DestaiDestai Member Posts: 574

Wow, what a surprise. I only hope future developers realize what went wrong and think twice before launching a subscription game.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

Definitely sooner than I expected, but I did call that they were likely gonna do something like Lotro, this seems to resemble that.

However, I'm surprised they're giving the entire 1-50 for free: because that is by far the most interesting aspect of the game for me. I don't doubt they'll find ways to cash in on that experience though, probably bank / inventory slots etc.

I also wonder what will be given to the people who have been subbed for 7 months.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• Paragus1Paragus1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,741
  • Radar11xRadar11x Member UncommonPosts: 118

I had said that they should go free to play if they wanted to make it back in 2010. lol some times they got to learn the hard way. xD

• Xstatic912Xstatic912 Member Posts: 365
    @ Z3R01

Rift and swtor both have different profit margin to meet... Rift can survive with maybe a 100k subs, swtor can't (not that it's at that level)..

But you know why this happen? They (swtor) are bleeding subs and with more competition launching this year and next, they stand little chance of getting those subs back, plus investors are getting impatient on where's the money this BIG investment risk is suppose to bring us..

So with the hybrid model they can please the instant gratification crowd more plus also please the sub customers..

now seeing this game added the F2P option so fast, what will the guys that are working elder scrolls do? Will they also have a hybrid model right from the start, hmmm?
  • FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Can we have SWG back now?

• kantseemekantseeme Member Posts: 709
    Originally posted by Foomerang

And people wonder why we look back on those games and wish someone would dazzle us once again. Its becasue the current MMO market is filled with garbage thats not worth a sub.

• MacecardMacecard Member UncommonPosts: 142

^^This man..Needs to be listened too.

Also typo in first line? I mean I don't proof read stuff...but the first line.

If you continue to make sweeping statements like you know what everyone everywhere thinks about a certain topic then I am going to shout at you.
    It easy to type 'I think this is the worst game ever'
    Rather than the 'This is the worst game ever'

• GrumpyMel2GrumpyMel2 Member Posts: 1,832

Yeah....because the business model is clearly what was keeping the game from being entertaining for so many players before   /sarcasm.

While F2P is clearly the way to go given thier current situation, when will Dev's learn that sticking a "Free" label on a crap sandwich doesn't make the sandwich taste any better. It just gets you a bunch of people who are willing to eat crap for free.

Their core problem (which they still can't seem to bring themselves to admit) was NOT that they picked the wrong business model..... it's that with a 200+ Million dollar budget they STILL couldn't find a way to make a game that was fun, compelling and interesting enough that most people thought it was worth spending $15 a month on for a significant amount of time.

• crw2020crw2020 Member Posts: 6

"Players who only play for free will be able to jump in warzones weekly, but only a few times before they're locked out of the content and asked to pay"

OK, so this is EXACTLY why this game is failing. The people in charge have no clue how to attract and keep players. If you limit PvP, nobody will play PvP, and the few "payers" wont pay long term because of the limited people involved.

Fail company if Fail.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

hihihihi

Not surprising. 

It is going SoE freemium style from what I read in Bioware FAQ.

For a good game I would pay,  bad one I will not play even if it would be totally free without CS or "optional" subsription or unlocks. My valuable time is more valuable than 15 $ bucks per month.  Much better to multi-task with forum and work than play a game I don't like.

I predict HUGE invade of players after opening f2p option and big population drop after few months. 

Swtor is still... well Swtor. 
    It's fundaments are bad and nothing can be done about it short of writing new game.

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591

The sad part is I wouldn't play this game if I was paid to play it.

Smile

• jeremyjodesjeremyjodes Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 679

Just found this on twitter

But yeah, glad i never went back, even for morbid curiosity. another SW MMO bites the dust.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by Razeekster

The sad part is I wouldn't play this game if I was paid to play it.

My thoughts as well.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• GamerUntouchGamerUntouch Member Posts: 488
    Originally posted by fenistil

hihihihi

Not surprising. 

It is going SoE freemium style from what I read in Bioware FAQ.

For a good game I would pay,  bad one I will not play even if it would be totally free without CS or "optional" subsription or unlocks. My valuable time is more valuable than 15 $ bucks per month.  Much better to multi-task with forum and work than play a game I don't like.

I predict HUGE invade of players after opening f2p option and big population drop after few months. 

Swtor is still... well Swtor. 
    It's fundaments are bad and nothing can be done about it short of writing new game.

SoE freemium is awful.

What a bad choice.

• Xstatic912Xstatic912 Member Posts: 365
    @ GrumpyMel2

Well said bro... That 200mil could have been used to make 2 knights of the old republic and pay for marketing... But noooo, one greedy empire couldn't stand the other greedy empire (activision) have most of the market share..
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by GrumpyMel2

Yeah....because the business model is clearly what was keeping the game from being entertaining for so many players before   /sarcasm.

While F2P is clearly the way to go given thier current situation, when will Dev's learn that sticking a "Free" label on a crap sandwich doesn't make the sandwich taste any better. It just gets you a bunch of people who are willing to eat crap for free.

Their core problem (which they still can't seem to bring themselves to admit) was NOT that they picked the wrong business model..... it's that with a 200+ Million dollar budget they STILL couldn't find a way to make a game that was fun, compelling and interesting enough that most people thought it was worth spending $15 a month on for a significant amount of time.

Learn how to make games. Devs pay attention to what happened.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

Quite a few people called this.  It's no surprise.

I really wish this could have been the MMORPG that Star Wars deserves... but it's more like the MMORPG the prequels deserve.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• GamerUntouchGamerUntouch Member Posts: 488

It's funny because the game's actually pay2win now.

F2P players can't do operations, which are raids.

Raids give the best gear. if you don't pay you can't get the best gear.

• IngvarIngvar Member UncommonPosts: 193

maybe there is now hope that Warhammer and DaoC may go f2p as well

• TrionicusTrionicus Member UncommonPosts: 498

Not even 2013....Damn, just damn.

I don't suppose LA wants to be associated with this, when will they terminate the contract like with SWG?

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

I'm gonna predict a Star Wars Galaxies relaunch by December.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

lol no doubt

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• TrionicusTrionicus Member UncommonPosts: 498
    Originally posted by Xobdnas

I need to get this out of the way, blaahahaha, called it.

Ok...

So do they refund all the people that supported it with $15 a month up til that point?

LOLZ!

+1

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

I really think this is kind of a double-edged sword for EA/BW and fans of the game.

First, it's basically an admission that the game failed in its intended business model.  EA/BW intended SWTOR to be a subscription money maker, and going F2P proves that, that didn't work out as they planned.

But second, I think it's actually a good thing for the game.  I always said that SWTOR felt more like a CORPG ala GW, than it felt like an actual MMORPG with a lively world, player economy, etc. etc.  So I thought B2P would have been a good thing for the game...I didn't want to be forced to pay a sub free for a game that I regarded as basically a CORPG.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?