Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why we should NOT trust ANET

Comments

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Here is what they actually said about the game while advertising it, and what was on the back of the box I purchased:

An award-winning online fantasy epic awaits. No Subscription Fees!

Take your first step into Guild Wars®, the award-winning fantasy online roleplaying game enjoyed by millions of players. Across Tyria, the human kingdoms are under attack by the vicious Charr. As a young hero caught between the powerful will of King Adelbern and the rebellious Prince Rurik, you are called upon to defend humanity. Will you become an instrument of the ancient prophecy or be crushed beneath it? Rally your strength and the power of your guild to establish your legend.

• Play solo or in a Party: Go it alone, join with other players, or recruit a party of henchmen that you control.
    • No subscription fees: Buy the game and play online with no monthly fees.*
    • Custom adventures: When you leave the bustling cities, experience adventures created just for you and your party.
    • Play with them or against them: Build a guild with other players and enter Player vs. Player tournaments for in-game prizes.

Notice how it doesn't call itself a MMO? Notice how it says you get adventures created 'just for you and your party'. The fact that you got your own zones was clearly advertised. You just failed to comprehend.
  • joocheesejoocheese Member Posts: 845
    Originally posted by grimal

This isn't a troll post.

GW1 was marketed to directly compete against the WoW crowd.  I wasn't the only one who thought it was going to be an MMO.  Look back at the GW1 threads around the time of release.  There are plenty posts made by people complaining the game wasn't even an MMO (in fact, there was a lot of debate as to why the game was even included on the list of games on this site).

So... you're basing your argument on 2nd/3rd/4th---300th party sources???

Grimal, find and link an article online which substantiates your argument. Find and link an article (anything really) where Anet is quoted as advertizing GW as an mmo. If you based your assessment of GW on what other people thought of GW, then I'm sorry, but that's your own fault buddy.

• RathanX26RathanX26 Member Posts: 119
    So ANet didn't market this game as an MMO and you read posts about people saying it wasn't an MMO but somehow you still thought it was, bought it and got upset and are now making this post 7years after you had your bad experience?.... Interesting. I think your on to something here....

I'm sorry but the only one saying anything about the second coming is you. Fans of a game accept its flaws and strengths.

• MattVidMattVid Member Posts: 399

Play with a modem?  The game was released in 2005.  Who didn't have broadband options by that time?

More assumptions, just like your OP. I can't say I am surprised. There are still places in the US that don't have broadband options even in 2012.

Originally posted by evilastro

Here is what they actually said about the game while advertising it, and what was on the back of the box I purchased:

An award-winning online fantasy epic awaits. No Subscription Fees!

Take your first step into Guild Wars®, the award-winning fantasy online roleplaying game enjoyed by millions of players. Across Tyria, the human kingdoms are under attack by the vicious Charr. As a young hero caught between the powerful will of King Adelbern and the rebellious Prince Rurik, you are called upon to defend humanity. Will you become an instrument of the ancient prophecy or be crushed beneath it? Rally your strength and the power of your guild to establish your legend.

• Play solo or in a Party: Go it alone, join with other players, or recruit a party of henchmen that you control.
    • No subscription fees: Buy the game and play online with no monthly fees.*
    • Custom adventures: When you leave the bustling cities, experience adventures created just for you and your party.
    • Play with them or against them: Build a guild with other players and enter Player vs. Player tournaments for in-game prizes.
    Notice how it doesn't call itself a MMO? Notice how it says you get adventures created 'just for you and your party'. The fact that you got your own zones was clearly advertised. You just failed to comprehend.

The proof is in the pudding... Evilastro showed his, still waiting on yours Grimal

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by aesperus
    If you want to have a real discussion (and are not honestly trolling), then you may want to get your facts straight first.GW1 isn't (and never was) an MMORPG. The developers even stated as such. The fact that.

I actually went looking for promo vids and cannot find many working ones to see if at one stage, they did market it as mmorpg.

To that end, and for clarity. Can you cite a reference claiming it a co-op rpg?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

Originally posted by MattVid

Play with a modem?  The game was released in 2005.  Who didn't have broadband options by that time?

More assumptions, just like your OP. I can't say I am surprised. There are still places in the US that don't have broadband options even in 2012.

Most of Australia didn't have broadband at that time. Most places outside of the UK, Europe and the US didnt actually.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by GamerUntouch

Right this straw grasping is getting so pathetic that I'm not sure if you're trolling anymore.

how is this trolling? Game company releases game suggesting to audience it is something which it isn't.  Player feels burned.  Player doesn't trust company on new release.  How in the world is that straw grasping?

We're not talking about buying a bicycle and expecting to  get a car...we're talking about a game that was advertised to be the revolution of the new forming genre.  What don't you see here?

Originally posted by Nitth

If you want to have a real discussion (and are not honestly trolling), then you may want to get your facts straight first.

GW1 isn't (and never was) an MMORPG. The developers even stated as such. The fact that.

I actually went looking for promo vids and cannot find many working ones to see if at one stage, they did market it as mmorpg.

The back of the box that we all purchased.

Most of Australia didn't have broadband at that time. Most places outside of the UK, Europe and the US didnt actually.

ok.  In the US was fairly common i believe.

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683

I remember a lot of the marketing hype behind GW.

Every time someone frm NCSoft/Anet was asked about the game, they would refer to is as a CORPG, or some other oddball acronym. They would actually say that it was not a "true" MMORPG in the standard understanding of the term.

The media, however, kept using the term MMO. And the public cited it as being the game to unthrone WoW. Course heck, every MMO released since WoW has been touted by someone as a wow-killer. We'll let that go.

There was a spot of controversy as to what even constituted an MMO, and why or why not GW belonged. But there was no real disingenuity on Anet's part that I recall.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

This isn't a troll post.

GW1 was marketed to directly compete against the WoW crowd.  I wasn't the only one who thought it was going to be an MMO.  Look back at the GW1 threads around the time of release.  There are plenty posts made by people complaining the game wasn't even an MMO (in fact, there was a lot of debate as to why the game was even included on the list of games on this site).

Oddly enough, there are many other games after GW1 like Vindictus, DDO and other such games, that somehow are even labeled MMORPGs, even though they're no more so than GW1.

If anything, GW1 has been the most honest company about exactly what it was they were selling.

I agree that you shouldn't trust Arenanet simply because they're a company, but your reason is an example of why you shouldn't trust misinformed posters on mmorpg.com, without checking say... the game box, or something.  Videos.  SOMETHING.  Anything.

Actually, considering how many games call themselves MMORPGs that clearly aren't, I think you've rather clearly laid out a case that while Arenanet is a company and therefore should only be trusted so far, they've at least proven to have a better and more honest track record than your average gaming company.  Good job, them calling GW1 a CORPG.

Thanks!  You'll earn that superfan award yet.  Good job pretending to believe something else, you really had us going for a moment. :)

• RathanX26RathanX26 Member Posts: 119
    Originally posted by joocheese

Originally posted by RathanX26
    So ANet didn't market this game as an MMO and you read posts about people saying it wasn't an MMO but somehow you still thought it was, bought it and got upset and are now making this post 7years after you had your bad experience?.... Interesting. I think your on to something here....

he sure is... a troll/hate thread

Impossible, he stated this was NOT a troll thread.... Honestly, why do I even read these threads.....

I'm sorry but the only one saying anything about the second coming is you. Fans of a game accept its flaws and strengths.

Right this straw grasping is getting so pathetic that I'm not sure if you're trolling anymore.

how is this trolling? Game company releases game suggesting to audience it is something which it isn't.  Player feels burned.  Player doesn't trust company on new release.  How in the world is that straw grasping?

We're not talking about buying a bicycle and expecting to  get a car...we're talking about a game that was advertised to be the revolution of the new forming genre.  What don't you see here?

What we can't seem to see is the proof which you have provided... oh wait, still waiting on that one (oops, sorry).

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by Nitth

If you want to have a real discussion (and are not honestly trolling), then you may want to get your facts straight first.

GW1 isn't (and never was) an MMORPG. The developers even stated as such. The fact that.

Check the post above yours to start ^

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

ok.  In the US was fairly common i believe.

Nope. 1/2 to 2/3 of the country did not have broadband or was just getting it. Major cities had it but not rural areas.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

I believe you arn't intentionally trolling. I believe 'you' believe they advertised it wrong. But the fact is, they didn't... which is why you are getting such a negative response.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

It says this right on their website:

Rather than labeling Guild Wars an MMORPG, we prefer to call it a CORPG (Competitive Online Role-Playing Game).

Originally posted by Nefera

So let me get this straight - you're saying people should not trust ArenaNet, because you thought you were buying a MMO when the company was coming out clear that they were making a CORPG, not a traditional MMO? And because you realized it wasn't what you thought it was, but exactly what the developers were saying it would be, we should not trust the developer?

It's not all that uncommon for the original developer to aim for one thing and the marketing push it as another.  Many films these days market themselves as action films but in actual viewing tend to be rather action-less.

Second, not everyone searches and scours the internet for what the developers say in interviews.  Instead, what they see is the marketing and go off of that. 

If you can't see this, maybe take a closer look.

• ClerigoClerigo Member UncommonPosts: 400

Another laughable content of a thread.

Dont know whats worst: the ridiculous rant of the OPs post or the effort people are puting in proving him wrong.

Can we have a lock on this please?

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Simple: Guild Wars.

Prior to it's release, it was touted as the "revolution" of the MMO genre.  Most clamored to this new B2P model thinking it would overthrow WoW and other P2P titles.  A few days in and people realized the gravest of all errors:  the game wasn't even an MMO, but a COOP game with a lobby system.

I, for one, fell for the hype back the.  I am determined not to make the same mistake again with this company.

P.S. Not a troll/flame thread.  But a real discussion as to why people might not be trusting of ANET.

Strain never said that GW was a MMO, you are possibly thinking of the publisher, NC Soft.

As for the B2P, the reason he left Blizzard and Wow (which was his idea) was because Morhaime changed his mind and decided it should be P2P. In fact the only reason battle.net is free is because Strain coded it and threatened to quit if Blizzard charged for it.

I played GW since 2006 myself but were looking at it already when it released, but I decided I didn´t have time for it at the time.

So, yeah, you are just trolling.

If there is a reason not to trust ANET it is because neither Strain nor Wyatt work there anymore. GW is an excellent game made with just a few people and it never said it was a MMO. Wow and many other games stole a lot from it´s PvP system though.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716
    Originally posted by Clerigo

Dont know whats worst: the ridiculous rant of the OPs post or the effort people are puting in proving him wrong.

GW2 fans seem to mostly believe that if they just present the facts enough times, everybody will understand them!

It's probably a silly belief to hold. :(

I honestly believe that the facts should always be clearly laid out... there's differences of opinion (One person liking one game and not liking another is purely opinion, can't do much about that), but you're not really supposed to have differences of fact.

Arenanet and their ads all strongly pushed GW1 as a CORPG.  They've never said it was an MMORPG, in any interview, ad, or on the back of their boxes.  It's impossible to find such (And easy to find the opposite), so there's a reason why it's making so many people stand up and go 'Wait!  To the factmobile!  That's not correct, we must correct this person who is obviously misunderstanding!  The truth will make them convert!'

Fans are, by nature, optimists. :D

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

So basically, we should not trust Anet because the OP didn't comprehend what Anet told everyone 8 years ago.

I would like to put in a request to Anet to deliberately screw something up so that the trolls have something at least somewhat legitimate to complain about.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

Originally posted by botrytis

Simple: Guild Wars.

Prior to it's release, it was touted as the "revolution" of the MMO genre.  Most clamored to this new B2P model thinking it would overthrow WoW and other P2P titles.  A few days in and people realized the gravest of all errors:  the game wasn't even an MMO, but a COOP game with a lobby system.

I, for one, fell for the hype back the.  I am determined not to make the same mistake again with this company.

P.S. Not a troll/flame thread.  But a real discussion as to why people might not be trusting of ANET.

GW was a great game but it wasn't for everyone. There was nothing wrong with GW because it was a game you could even play when using a modem to dial in. WoW couldn't do that and many others of the same era couldn't say that either.

You have given no reason why GW is the reason not to trust A.Net. The game was exactly as it was described. I can't find fault with that. You gave no explanations so my conclusion is that this is really a flame/troll thread.

If you want people to discuss something, you have to give more information. As Johnny said, 'NEED MORE INFO!'

I don't have the ad page in front of me, but one particular one stands out.

It was a full page ad taken out in PCGamer with the headline "The revolution is here".  There were other statements or images on that same page suggesting the revolution to be the MMO market (they may not have come out and said Massive Multiplayer Roleplayer Game but used a similar verbage to allude to it).

I'll see if I can find that ad and link it (or if anyone has it, please do).

Originally posted by Clerigo

Agreed...

If there is a MMORPG dev reading this please lock this thread... it is pointless and useless.

This discussion has been closed.