Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

What makes the hype different this time around?

12357

Comments

  • VesaviusVesavius BristolPosts: 7,639Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by BigRock411

    What makes the hype different this time around? 

     

    Erm... because it's a different company with a different game, launching at a different time?

  • MothanosMothanos ArnhemPosts: 1,860Member Uncommon

    Normaly a hype is created by a few trailers and gamepolay vids, when the point is reached and the game is launched the hype dies out and the 1st cracks begin to surface.

     

    Warhammer / Aion / SWTOR / Rift / TSW all suffered from the fanboys hyping this game sky high, and all of them dint realy lived up to the hype.

    GW2 will be no diffrent, except that the people who play the game will be satisfied alot mroe then all the other mmo's that came out lately.

     

    In SWTOR 60% of the player base dropped the game already, and thats me included.

    GW2 tough, will have far less of a drop off i think.

    So when a mmo is launched a hype can live up to her expectations if the drop off is low.

    But you cant please every1 offcourse, and sometimes a minor piece of the players can be very loud and vocal.

     

     

  • k-damagek-damage ParisPosts: 738Member
    Originally posted by Mothanos

    Normaly a hype is created by a few trailers and gamepolay vids, when the point is reached and the game is launched the hype dies out and the 1st cracks begin to surface.

     

    Warhammer / Aion / SWTOR / Rift / TSW all suffered from the fanboys hyping this game sky high, and all of them dint realy lived up to the hype.

    GW2 will be no diffrent, except that the people who play the game will be satisfied alot mroe then all the other mmo's that came out lately.

     

    In SWTOR 60% of the player base dropped the game already, and thats me included.

    GW2 tough, will have far less of a drop off i think.

    So when a mmo is launched a hype can live up to her expectations if the drop off is low.

    But you cant please every1 offcourse, and sometimes a minor piece of the players can be very loud and vocal.

    That might be the most realistic and intelligent answer about hype that I've read.

    ***** Before hitting that reply button, please READ the WHOLE thread you're about to post in *****

  • DignaDigna City, CTPosts: 2,014Member Uncommon

    For me the hype is different because for the 1st time in a VERY long time, I have the 'explorer' back in my soul. Have been psyched about games in the past (recent and distant) but mainly to get in there and start questing.

    For this game I want to see every possible nook and cranny there is and explore every map. Really psyched to be 'excited' about my original goals lost so long ago.

  • Caliburn101Caliburn101 LondonPosts: 636Member

    Way too many people make the 'playground logic' observation that 'hype = fail' - like it was some equation set in stone.

    Hype = hype, that's it - don't bother to listen to it.

    The game does what ANet said it would do from nearly everything seen so far and the production qualities etc. are very high.

    It deserves the lion's share of the accolades being heaped on it - regardless of whether they are wrapped up in hype or not.

    The hype is in this case functionally irrelevant.

    Edit addition: The only criticism with any substance that I have seen is the doubts about the level of success of the mode of 'endgame' GW2 will have. This is a credible concern - although not substantiated or disproven at this stage.

  • IcewhiteIcewhite Elmhurst, ILPosts: 6,403Member
    Originally posted by Caliburn101

    Hype = hype, that's it - don't bother to listen to it.

    Seems a fair number of people require the herd's permission before they can choose (or reject) an MMO.

    Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

  • Caliburn101Caliburn101 LondonPosts: 636Member
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    Originally posted by Caliburn101

    Hype = hype, that's it - don't bother to listen to it.

    Seems a fair number of people require the herd's permission before they can choose (or reject) an MMO.

    Actually that's not such a bad thing - a world full of Alpha-personalities would be violent and shortlived. I know - I am surrounded by bad examples of such people at work.

    But you are right - it would be nice if we could see at least a few 'Beta+' personalities - not leaders, but the kind of crowd follower who is logically and intelligently discerning as to which crowd they join.

    I'll not be holding my breath though....

  • IstavaanIstavaan CorkPosts: 1,350Member
    Originally posted by Caliburn101
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    Originally posted by Caliburn101

    Hype = hype, that's it - don't bother to listen to it.

    Seems a fair number of people require the herd's permission before they can choose (or reject) an MMO.

    Actually that's not such a bad thing - a world full of Alpha-personalities would be violent and shortlived. I know - I am surrounded by bad examples of such people at work.

    But you are right - it would be nice if we could see at least a few 'Beta+' personalities - not leaders, but the kind of crowd follower who is logically and intelligently discerning as to which crowd they join.

    I'll not be holding my breath though....

    Most gamers are beta males.

  • RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Huntsville, ALPosts: 1,365Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Caliburn101

    Way too many people make the 'playground logic' observation that 'hype = fail' - like it was some equation set in stone.

     

     

     

    regardless of what we would like to believe about ourselves we are all susceptible to training.  i guess i can't fault someone too harshly for seeing a lot of buzz about 10 games in a row and disliking them on release and then saying "i see the pattern!" when the 11th game arrives.  as much as we should know not to extrapolate.. we still extrapolate.

     

    to actually understand that the same series of events would precede a great well-made game requires a more advanced exercise in logic.  (or just an active exercise in thought, rather than passive learning)

    i'm not calling anyone unintelligent, just saying perhaps some never considered such a notion.

     

     

    then there is the possibility that some may have a romantic idea that the next game they will love and adore will come silently in the night and take the entire MMO community by complete surprise.  i don't see this happening personally but i guess it is possible.

     
  • Four0SixFour0Six Missoula, MTPosts: 1,181Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Kyus_HoB

    Hi Origional poster, 

     

    The reason why things are different this time round is simple. 

    Arena Net said they would make a game with a certain game mechanic and a certain type of content.

    We have played the BWE's and currently we have a very good looking game, with the mechanic stated and the content as stated by the developer. The other factor is the game is not trying to tick off everyones boxes its Arena nets title and they have stayed true to everything that has been said so far.

    Whilst there are some issues wtih the game it is overwhelmingly in a better shape than any game I have ever played at this stage in development.

    It also boasts excellent value for money with no subscritption fee's in comparison to the content delivered especially with the longevity that WvW and SPvP bring to the game.

     

    I'd highly recommend just playing on release the game is a one time box purchase only and even if its not perfect for your playstyle its something you can always dip into when you like.

     

    Just to add I played BWE 1 and thought that was good but not great, then played BWE2 and Loved it! the reason for this was I wasn't playing the game properly in the first weekend, in the second it clicked and I got how tactical it can get.

     Green: I am still laughing at this......If only games turned out like the devs/publishers "said"....

    Red: The truth.

  • IstavaanIstavaan CorkPosts: 1,350Member
    Originally posted by Four0Six
    Originally posted by Kyus_HoB

    Hi Origional poster, 

     

    The reason why things are different this time round is simple. 

    Arena Net said they would make a game with a certain game mechanic and a certain type of content.

    We have played the BWE's and currently we have a very good looking game, with the mechanic stated and the content as stated by the developer. The other factor is the game is not trying to tick off everyones boxes its Arena nets title and they have stayed true to everything that has been said so far.

    Whilst there are some issues wtih the game it is overwhelmingly in a better shape than any game I have ever played at this stage in development.

    It also boasts excellent value for money with no subscritption fee's in comparison to the content delivered especially with the longevity that WvW and SPvP bring to the game.

     

    I'd highly recommend just playing on release the game is a one time box purchase only and even if its not perfect for your playstyle its something you can always dip into when you like.

     

    Just to add I played BWE 1 and thought that was good but not great, then played BWE2 and Loved it! the reason for this was I wasn't playing the game properly in the first weekend, in the second it clicked and I got how tactical it can get.

     Green: I am still laughing at this......If only games turned out like the devs/publishers "said"....

    Red: The truth.

    well it is of the same quality or probably higher than any mmo on the market, and the fact that it has no subscription fee when poorer games on the market require one, makes guild wars 2 even more attractive.

  • IcewhiteIcewhite Elmhurst, ILPosts: 6,403Member
    Originally posted by Caliburn101

    Actually that's not such a bad thing

    • From a Fear of Hype standpoint, you could pick either accept/reject and you might look bad in the future. 
    • You can wait for Herd to make its verdict, while you chew your nails in indecision.  Meanwhle, you aren't playing.
    • You can consult every swamii and soothsayer, every reviewer, every beta tester on the internet, and get varied opinions and a dozen different "game scores", while you pace back and forth.

    But in the end, nobody can decide if you like a game, except you.  Nobody out there likes quite exactly the same things.  A little research might be in order.  And there are still, after all that trouble, no money-back guarantees.

    (Of course, if you choose contrary to the herd, you must quickly revise your opinion, bury it, someone might see.)

     

    Now, who wants to buy a t-shirt?  Cheap, less than the three hours of pay that game box costs!

    Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

  • suu141suu141 louisville, KYPosts: 249Member
    Originally posted by Istavaan
    Originally posted by Caliburn101
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    Originally posted by Caliburn101

    Hype = hype, that's it - don't bother to listen to it.

    Seems a fair number of people require the herd's permission before they can choose (or reject) an MMO.

    Actually that's not such a bad thing - a world full of Alpha-personalities would be violent and shortlived. I know - I am surrounded by bad examples of such people at work.

    But you are right - it would be nice if we could see at least a few 'Beta+' personalities - not leaders, but the kind of crowd follower who is logically and intelligently discerning as to which crowd they join.

    I'll not be holding my breath though....

    Most gamers are beta males.

     

    There are people who fall in the catagory of being part of family/friends/guilds who always stick together and lead by an Alpha/democracy system. Said people are deffinately not the minority.

     

     

    "When you're born you're naked, when you die you're naked again, and in-between all we do is work, eat, and play MMOs." ~Forum Warrior #141

  • Caliburn101Caliburn101 LondonPosts: 636Member
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    Originally posted by Caliburn101

    Actually that's not such a bad thing

    • From a Fear of Hype standpoint, you could pick either accept/reject and you might look bad in the future. 
    • You can wait for Herd to make its verdict, while you chew your nails in indecision.  Meanwhle, you aren't playing.
    • You can consult every swamii and soothsayer, every reviewer, every beta tester on the internet, and get varied opinions and a dozen different "game scores", while you pace back and forth.

    But in the end, nobody can decide if you like a game, except you.  Nobody out there likes quite exactly the same things.  A little research might be in order.  And there are still, after all that trouble, no money-back guarantees.

    (Of course, if you choose contrary to the herd, you must quickly revise your opinion, bury it, someone might see.)

     

    Now, who wants to buy a t-shirt?  Cheap, less than the three hours of pay that game box costs!

    If you could produce a T-Shirt that says - "I am a Multimedia Prophet of Doom" that would suit me better.... otherwise - SOLD!

  • Caliburn101Caliburn101 LondonPosts: 636Member
    Originally posted by suu141
    Originally posted by Istavaan
    Originally posted by Caliburn101
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    Originally posted by Caliburn101

    Hype = hype, that's it - don't bother to listen to it.

    Seems a fair number of people require the herd's permission before they can choose (or reject) an MMO.

    Actually that's not such a bad thing - a world full of Alpha-personalities would be violent and shortlived. I know - I am surrounded by bad examples of such people at work.

    But you are right - it would be nice if we could see at least a few 'Beta+' personalities - not leaders, but the kind of crowd follower who is logically and intelligently discerning as to which crowd they join.

    I'll not be holding my breath though....

    Most gamers are beta males.

     

    There are people who fall in the catagory of being part of family/friends/guilds who always stick together and lead by an Alpha/democracy system. Said people are deffinately not the minority.

     

     

    You may be correct - although I wouldn't trust any statistics produced on the matter. I have never been in a Guild or indeed been leader of a Guild which had 'no matter what we stick together'-ness built in.

    Always been surrounded by a good number of people - most of the friends who made their own minds up. But then maybe I gravitate towards that and thus bias my own reality to the point I am entirely wrong about this....

    ....maybe....

  • IcewhiteIcewhite Elmhurst, ILPosts: 6,403Member
    Originally posted by Caliburn101

    You may be correct - although I wouldn't trust any statistics produced on the matter. I have never been in a Guild or indeed been leader of a Guild which had 'no matter what we stick together'-ness built in.

    Um, there are lots of tiny one-family guilds out there.  Sometimes they might even take on one or two other people.

    Pretty much exactly the values they're shooting for (while not necessarily what they deliver, heh).  And way off topic now :P

    Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

  • PurgatusPurgatus San Diego, CAPosts: 342Member
    Originally posted by Draemos
    Originally posted by Purgatus

    You know, every article I read, on every creditable site I visit, has had nothing but glowing recommendations for this game. I have not seen that kind of feedback for any game thus far. Is it really hype if so many enjoy it?

    You must not read much.  Pretty much every AAA title in the last 4 years gets glowing recommendations until a few weeks after launch.  Go look at some of the prerelease previews for games like Aion,  Rift, etc

    I read articles for those games a s well, and its not like they were less than positive, but thay all had negative mixed in. Absolutly none where overwhelmingly positive, especially not the amject amazment you read in articles abut GW2.

  • SicaeSicae LulePosts: 110Member

    The hype is the same as it was for other games. Its based on a limited experience of the game and people repeat the selling points that marketing provides and make it sound like everything is great, and its better to realize what the game provide and what it doesn't provide.

    • 5 abilities are swapped depending on the weapon you use, 5 special abilities can be chosen that are not based on your weapon.
    • Everyone has a selfheal
    • Tries to break the mold of static tank/healer/dps trinity
    • Dynamic event based levelling instead of questing
    • Instant max level PvP where gear doesn't matter in a 3-realm environment
    • No outdoor PvP
    • No gear progression endgame
    • No raiding
    I didn't enjoy the game when playing beta, I didn't find combat interactive enough, dynamic events became old quickly and I prefer healing in group environments so the game wasn't for me.
  • PurgatusPurgatus San Diego, CAPosts: 342Member
    Originally posted by Sicae

    The hype is the same as it was for other games. Its based on a limited experience of the game and people repeat the selling points that marketing provides and make it sound like everything is great, and its better to realize what the game provide and what it doesn't provide.

    • 5 abilities are swapped depending on the weapon you use, 5 special abilities can be chosen that are not based on your weapon. 
    • Everyone has a selfheal
    • Tries to break the mold of static tank/healer/dps trinity
    • Dynamic event based levelling instead of questing
    • Instant max level PvP where gear doesn't matter in a 3-realm environment
    • No outdoor PvP
    • No gear progression endgame
    • No raiding
    I didn't enjoy the game when playing beta, I didn't find combat interactive enough, dynamic events became old quickly and I prefer healing in group environments so the game wasn't for me.

    And everyone is entitled to thier own opinion. But, the articles for GW2 are not at all the same tone as games in the past few years.

    Just check out the gamespy article on re-playability for example. I saw nothing of the sort for SWTOR. If you listen to video reviews, its clear that its not just hype, they truely are amazed by the game.

     

  • IPolygonIPolygon ViennaPosts: 707Member Uncommon

    It's a good game. I am hyped for GW2 as much as I was  for Orcs Must Die 2.

  • JimmydeanJimmydean Ypsilanti, MIPosts: 1,270Member

    What makes the hype different? Nothing. It's still hype. People act this way before every big game launch. 

  • ClerigoClerigo MatosinhosPosts: 400Member Common

    Hype is just a measure of balance between what you know by personal experience and what the seller is doing to try sell the product to you.

    I will give you some expert insight on it with a simple example:

    Guild Wars 1 was my first likable mmo experience and i still play it because i like so many things in that game, the environment, sound score, events, etc etc and the way Arenanet managed it all these years. So when GW2 was announced and i start to see all these videos by the staff, their manifestos, their clear commitment and honesty in making this work...im positively hyped for GW2.

    WoW was my best online gaming experience ever. I had so much fun i can compare it to eating some pizza, drink beer and hang out with the guys (yes i was addicted), and Blizzard had already made the incredible warcraft series and the unforgettable Diablo, so when TBC expansion launched i was so overly hyped and excited i couldnt pee, and you know things with the hype factor are not good when you start to see Mr. T and JCVD playing WoW also, so everything that Blizzard did with WoW after Vanilla brought my hype factor from 200% to about 90%, then i see i was only allowed to play WoW because Chuck Norris says so, and then i get to see Pandas and Pokemon will rule the earth...so hype is down to 50%....

    ...so when Diablo 3 was ready to geting released i already had little faith in this game, but the 50% hype feel was still there, you know being Blizzard and stuff, but then the RMAH bang...25% hype. And then no offline play bang...15% hype...see how that works?

    ...so i decided not to buy the game and that Blizzard was doomed to failure in morality and success in revenue. But my friends were still living in hype land and Naxxramas raids, so they bursted into flames and bought me the game. So i played Diablo for 240 hours with my hyped friends bang....hype is down to -50%

    ...so next time Blizzard launches something my hype level is down the drain, and no chuck norris add suited in full combat gear will make me buy any game of them ever again.

     

  • BadaboomBadaboom Moose Jaw, SKPosts: 2,380Member

    For me the hype was prior to any of the betaweekends.  After playing in the betaweekends all you are left with are truths...and I love the truths that I saw and experienced.

  • IamAproposIamApropos San Antonio, TXPosts: 173Member

    I'd like to see some links to some examples of "Over Hype" in context with Guild Wars 2?  Link or it isn't happening.

    Those of us who have put in the research and hands on tested the promised mechanics of the game well know the difference between "Over Hype" Caused by false advertisement and unrealistic expectations compared to "Excitement" based on hands on experience.

     

    The only thing that seems "Over Hyped" is the unfounded ignorant claims that the game is over hyped... 

     

    The only people I have seen on these forums or others who have stated anything that seems over hyped are not the fans. It seems that there is more "Over Hype" about the game being over hyped then the reality of the matter...

    I don't ever see Guild Wars 2 fan stating "its the second coming" or some stupid ignorant comments blanketly comparing this games word of mouth excitement to being over hype just like everything else.  The only people whom seem to be over reacting are the haters because when the guild wars 2 fans react to some lie or misinformed, ignorant player its equated to "Fanboism" instead of seeing that the Troll is getting what he deserves.

     

    I personally welcome criticism of Guild Wars 2 but I don't welcome some jerk trying to spout lies and misinformed ignorance because his previous game failed and caused him to be jaded so he / she must find fault and ruin it for others.

     

    When it came to Swtor I could see in beta it wasn't going to be what the dev's hyped it to be, same with RIFT and so many other games.   But I can truly tell you that if Guild Wars 2 is played and expected to play how ANET planned it to be played then it causes Extreme "Excitement"  therefor you get people like me who have put in over 100 hours of game play so for, whom have tested nearly every aspect of the game and proven its absolutely EVERYTHING they promised it to be thus far.

     

    There is a huge difference between "Over Hype" and "Word of Mouth Excitement"  Over hype is usually an unrealistic expectation based on a blind bias and fades after a real test.  But since the OP clearly has a blind belief that the excitement for Guild Wars 2 is people just overly excited without reason it feels pointless to try and explain something so logical.

     

    Now on Guild Wars 2 and why the excitement for this game makes the "Hype" comments just seem so ignorantly uninformed...

    So far in its beta form its better then nearly all the games that have launched previously.  It does have some wrinkles to iron out but seriously its more polished and extremely detailed compared to nearly anything.   The twist on how you do events and quests within the world is so nicely done that it never feels like a chore and you are never forced to do anything you do not wish to do.  You absolutely do not have to do any particular Renown heart quests, Dynamic Event, or Grind Dungeons. You do not have to grind a dungeon to get the items you must have to further progression.   You do exactly what you'd like to do and enjoy the ride that ANET has taken 5 years to develop.

    No fighting over nodes, no fighting over mobs, no fighting over anything.  Anet has provided a game that is insanely fun and has brought back that feeling of adventure and rewarding exploration.  All the things I hate about previous MMO's and a lot of the things I love about previous MMO's are addressed in this game.

    The Detail and attention to detail are just mind blowing.  The hidden treasure's of little events that aren't marked and sprinkled all over Tyria are just astounding to me.  You never know when or what will catch your attention and have you off embarked on another adventure all the while you were trying to reach a destination across the map, just to find yourself 3-4 hours in and on the opposite side of the map.

    its funny how recent games you see valid complaints of major game mechanics such as clunky choppy stop and go combat with incredibly horrible questing system and or another game with god awful horrible combat animations or others with a serious lack of content.   All of these were addressed during and after the beta's of these games.  The only thing I've been seeing from Guild Wars 2 haters is "What if they don't provide what they promise in the future"?  Well what if monkeys fly out my azz....  So far the majority have proven the game is what ANET has promised and they have a great track record of doing just that.  We have no realistic reason to believe this will change, and if it does so be it but as of right now its unfounded.

    IamApropos
    image
    See where adventure will lead you!
    My PC Specs:
    i5-3570k oc'ed @4.2GHz
    8GB 1600 RAM
    GTX670 oc'ed @ 1.25Ghz
    Samsung 830 SSD.

  • botrytisbotrytis In Flux, MIPosts: 2,567Member
    Originally posted by Badaboom

    For me the hype was prior to any of the betaweekends.  After playing in the betaweekends all you are left with are truths...and I love the truths that I saw and experienced.

    QFT!!!

    A.Net said this is what they would deliver and so far they have met what they said they would do. It is great to see a company deliver like that.

    image

    "In 50 years, when I talk to my grandchildren about these days, I'll make sure to mention what an accomplished MMO player I was. They are going to be so proud ..."
    by Naqaj - 7/17/2013 MMORPG.com forum

Sign In or Register to comment.