Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: I Have Questions!

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Now that the beta weekends are behind us and with the release of Guild Wars 2 on the horizon, we take a moment to consider all that we do know. Even knowing a lot about the game, there are still questions which we present today. Check it out and then leave us your thoughts in the comments.

that everything we’ve heard about this game is true. At least… from what we can tell so far it is. We have had the chance to see what I consider to be just the start of the game. There’s so much content that I have had to play nonstop, and use every BWE to explore new areas. It took nearly every single one to explore every map they opened up to us. But even after finally seeing the game, there are still many questions.

Read more of David North's Guild Wars 2: I Have Questions!

Even the dark depths of the seas hide many treasures, and dangers.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• crysentcrysent Member UncommonPosts: 841

First! I am First!  Gold medal for me!!!

• AbcynthAbcynth Member UncommonPosts: 60

The wait is agonizing, as I am sure it is for any that have played the BWE (and even those that didn't get to that have been following the game info like a crack fiend looking for their fix).  I personally can't wait to find all the goodies in the game, all the corners to explore, all the dungeons to run, all the massive dynamic events that culminate with an amazing mini-boss battle.  I was privy to some of these events in the BWE and it was amazing fun!  Not to mention the diversity of the changing environment.  One time I rolled a human, the entry area bridge was clear to the first town, the next time I created a human for another BWE, that bridge was beset by barricades that had to be destroyed and the creatures destroyed that were holding the bridge.  I love the variety that the game brings and I can't wait to experience everything GW2 has to offer.....and all for no monthly fee.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

Well, GW2 is the size of GW1:Prophecies + EotN and then some (Land of Orr). It is massive and one of the biggest games out there, so far in the Fantasy realm.

We still cant get to the Ring of FIre Islands, Cantha or Elona. Those will be for expansions I bet (Ring of Fire would be like EotN or Sorrows Furnace). A.Net has plenty to draw from now.

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661

I have the "MORE MAP TO COME" question on my mind quite a bit, whether the game will feature expansion packs like GW1 where you have to select which expansion you want to play or more traditional expansion packs that will add zones to the main game which is the route I hope they take.  

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

I hope all of those will happen.

Especially Live events. They were tons of fun, and they mostly worked. So I dont see no reason to have them when the game goes live.

• MavekMavek Member Posts: 138

I'm dying for the Tengu to become playable.  Definitely my favorite race from guild wars

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961
    Originally posted by crysent

First! I am First!  Gold medal for me!!!

You are most probably doped and will be disqualified. Sorry. ;)

Really would like it if the app would be ready for release so I could use it during my vacation. But I doubt it. They will concentrate on game release. App may come later.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

I was one of the unlucky one's that had around 10 fps on friday in BWE3 lucky that the dev's released a patch a few hours later, it increased my FPS bya good margin, the game still was far beyond the eyecandy it should have been.

It my only major concern i have with GW2, will it run smooth on my medium/high end system.

For all the other questions i had before playing the BWE i can say Anet meeted them all, game was fun and totaly diffrent then any other mmo i i ever played.

I rolled all classes except the engineer.

And all of them where unique and played very smooth.

Found the Mesmer a little underwhelming tough, but i was only level 9 ;) so i gues things change dramaticly once you unlock traits and stuff.

Man and idd the wait is long, i installed Prototype 1 , GW1 , World of Tanks, Kingdoms of amalur etc etc to pass the time in gaming.

But GW2 still roams ahead in my mind ffs :)

Like a little voice calling you ^^

GW2 for me is a 9.5/10

Dont think another mmo will beat that score for me anytime soon.

• almalexiusalmalexius Member UncommonPosts: 180

Oh my god stop talking and just release the damned thing!

WOW,eq2,Vanguard,WAR,LOTRO,AOC,Rift Aion, SWTOR, TERA.

Currently playing GW2.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Coolit

I have the "MORE MAP TO COME" question on my mind quite a bit, whether the game will feature expansion packs like GW1 where you have to select which expansion you want to play or more traditional expansion packs that will add zones to the main game which is the route I hope they take.  

Campaigns like Factions and Nightfall aren´t really expansions, the only expansion for GW1 is GW:EN.

I would like an expansion or 2 before any new campaign but i surely want one or 2 of those later as well. So I hope for both. :)

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    9.5 ? Have you tried world of warcraft out? There is an expansion coming in September you might look into it, GW2 is going to be fun, but one can only handle so much gate bashing for 10 minutes straight as one of the forum posters above said, then its going to get old.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

I wonder why no one has said this could be another Tortage scenario. Has anyone seen anything beyond level 40?

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365
    Originally posted by bcbully

I wonder why no one has said this could be another Tortage scenario. Has anyone seen anything beyond level 40?

probably because its not worth worrying about.

nothing has indicated that it might be, its not funcom, and we may as well be worried that beyond the level 30 zones all the maps are just empty barren flat deserts with signs that say "work in progress."

unless you know something i don't, i don't see any indicators for this.  please let us know if you find anything.

• ZeGermanZeGerman Member UncommonPosts: 211

I think the server lag experience was fine.  I made characters on three servers over 3 bwe 2 times I picked medium population servers that later became high population and there was absolutely no lag at all and no frame rate drop.  The third time i acted like an idiot and picked a high population server that quickly became full, and I experienced minor lag at a few points but never anything on the scale of AION or LOL.  Part of it is if you have a bunch of noobs trying to fill a server cause the name is dark and edgy well then your going to fill the server, and the server cap is the server cap specifically because it is the technical limit.  There are only three ways that will change.  All the little kids decide not to go to dark and edgy named servers (unlikely), ANet renames all the servers lame things, or most likely they'll simply decrease the server cap amounts and let fewer people create characters on that server.  I just hope that they don't implement server ques for the sake of efficiency.

• ZeGermanZeGerman Member UncommonPosts: 211
    Originally posted by jzgamekid

Guild wars 2 was a great game and all but it may nt last that long for several reasons. Such as the PvP gets a bit boring after trying for 2 hrs to break a gate to the enemy castle or having chaos of the same kind being spawn killed in reg pvp. The campaign is fun as hell, but I hope they do something for pvp.

Um who were you pvp'ing with cause they dont understand how it works.  If a gate isnt down in 5 minutes your doing it wrong.  Hell if your doing it right the whole fort should be down in 15 minutes, even the bigger side ones.  You see there are these things called rams you build and they do lots of dammage.  If you dont have 20 people with you trying to take a fort your in the wrong place go take a supply depot instead.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

This is definitely a necessary posting, we actually need someone to post an updated list of features with "confirmed" next to them so people who are ignorant can stop posting nonsense on the forums about this game who obviously don't know a thing about it. 

The features list postit comes to mind right there in the general forums for this game. Would love for people to read but well you know how that goes.

Bravo on some of the answers being posted by this article tho. :)

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Ramanadjinn

probably because its not worth worrying about.

nothing has indicated that it might be, its not funcom, and we may as well be worried that beyond the level 30 zones all the maps are just empty barren flat deserts with signs that say "work in progress."

unless you know something i don't, i don't see any indicators for this.  please let us know if you find anything.

That's just it. I don't know, no one knows. What I'm saying is before TSW opened everything up in BWE, we heard a lot of " is this Tortage all over again." 

I think it's a far question for all mmos. I think it needs to be asked of GW2 aswell.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    I was afraid gate smashing was going to boring too
  • MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

~ "I don’t know about you, but I think the size of the exporable maps is massive." 

~ "When it was announced that new races would be playable in Guild Wars 2, I think many of us were excited, but also really surprised.  I wouldn’t be too shocked if the Tengu take a larger part in the world, but will they become a playable race?  It will be awhile until we get the answer to that."

Sounds like GW2 has a great world to explore and other races stories will bring more  lore/stories to come also.

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591

I think they are going to make dwarves a playable race eventually. Hopefully they will make them more unique because most MMOs make them fairly  boring. It would  be a dream come true of mine if they made a water race like the Quaggans playable.

Smile

• Shroom_MageShroom_Mage Member UncommonPosts: 863

Someone wondering about the map? Oh, I think there are plenty of places they could expand to. In case you're wondering what we've already seen, well... it hasn't been much.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Originally posted by Shroom_Mage

Someone wondering about the map? Oh, I think there are plenty of places they could expand to. In case you're wondering what we've already seen, well... it hasn't been much.

Holy crap I had no idea the world was that big.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

The same can be said for any MMO, just have to wait till release.

• nyxxisnyxxis Member Posts: 62

First, I do not think the Devs at Anet would risk the violent backlash that could come from another tortage situation. After more than five years in development I think that it would lead to an outrage on an epic level.

Secondly, if you stood beating on a door for two hours with nothing else going on something was seriously wrong. I have personally be part of hour+ gate battles. The keep owners were repairing the gates and walls and killing us attackers with ranged damage from the walls and siege weapons inside the keep. I doubt this will go away any time soon as there are hundreds of guilds and many many guild alliances that will be dedicating their in game lives to WvW.

I doubt GW2 will disappoint many after release and I think we will see more greatness to come.

All Murlocs must die horrible, painful, bloody deaths!

• RageaholRageahol Member UncommonPosts: 1,127
    Originally posted by nyxxis

First, I do not think the Devs at Anet would risk the violent backlash that could come from another tortage situation. After more than five years in development I think that it would lead to an outrage on an epic level.

Secondly, if you stood beating on a door for two hours with nothing else going on something was seriously wrong. I have personally be part of hour+ gate battles. The keep owners were repairing the gates and walls and killing us attackers with ranged damage from the walls and siege weapons inside the keep. I doubt this will go away any time soon as there are hundreds of guilds and many many guild alliances that will be dedicating their in game lives to WvW.

I doubt GW2 will disappoint many after release and I think we will see more greatness to come.

just wait for the two week battle when you come upon keep that is upgraded for the mortor pools and launchers. 

One thing i really liked was the whole cutting off of supply to keeps. it made if feel like a Seige, at one point there is no material to repair the door if the other server is not bring more troops in or protecting their supply caravans.

On Note: Tortage was a whole different boat. as it had features that the rest of the game didn't, and the developers did not say anything about the fact that the rest of the game didn't have these things.

Arenanet time and time again has shared with us how the change and improve the game, and also how they are not afraid to change what they don't like. Hell, the current combat system with only cooldowns and a two dodge limit is really not even that old. There used to be mana costs and used to be potions you needed to take for longer battles. 

The difference in developers makes a big difference. Also this is not 2008 anymore most developers make sure to learn from AoC, War, Vanguard, Aion