Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So is it just, LFG need control/support now instead of tank/heals?

Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

Just wondering, they say they got rid of the trinity. And now they use a dps/control/support system. So does that just mean most people will still spec DPS and no one will wanna be support or control?

Comments

• PurgatusPurgatus Member Posts: 342

Possibly. I know lots of folk LOVE DPSing. I personally am a dedicated Controller. Im am just pleased as punch that I can choose any profession to do what I love.

Also they posted a video of a group of 5 DPSers doing the Ascelonian Catacombs. Not that its proof of anything yet, but its nice to see......

• GajariGajari Member Posts: 984
    Originally posted by Fendel84M

Just wondering, they say they got rid of the trinity. And now they use a dps/control/support system. So does that just mean most people will still spec DPS and no one will wanna be support or control?

DPS is also Support/Tank/Heals/Control/etc.

Control is also DPS/Support/Tank/Heals/etc.

Support is also DPS/Control/Tank/Heals/etc.

Tank is also DPS/Control/Heals/Support/etc.

Heals is also DPS/Control/Support/Tank/etc.

• jaybird50jaybird50 Member UncommonPosts: 23

If you have not played it yet just wait and see... there really is no LFG... Its pretty amazing imo. I havent grouped so much in any game while at the same time never being officially "grouped".  Its fluidity just ...works

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

It's going to be...

LF1M AC

And that's it.

• unknown769unknown769 Member Posts: 45

basically  ll' say just form a party and play, theres is really not need to just play thegame and have fun.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Originally posted by colddog04

It's going to be...

LF1M AC

And that's it.

Thats cool, I hate the trinity. The whole idea is just dumb.

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118

No.  People will probably have to spec for balance.  So they can do different things based on the situation.  The whole idea is that you can get a group of people who are all the same class and run a hard dungeon and succeed.  So, everyone will probably have to DPS, Tank, or Heal (rez) based on the situation at the moment.  Every class has the ability to do that if necessary, although some are better at some things than others.

You won't need to stand around looking for a specific type of class.  You can say "LFG" and take first come first served regardless of class.

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• spookytoothspookytooth Member Posts: 508

In response to jaybird. I made a formal group with someone this past beta, we played together for quite a while and then he left. As I kept playing I realized that forming a group added nothing to the game because I am basically grouped anytime I am doing anything. An event starts going and a group froms around it.

@op ;    When I played Vangaurd I joined an all thieves guild. It was wonderfullly insane and worked like shit. But in gw2 I think it would actaully be workable. We may even see that sort of thing in gw2; single class novelty guilds.

• Gymrat313Gymrat313 Member UncommonPosts: 154

It's going to be...

LF1M AC

And that's it.

Thats how its going to start out and then some classes aren't going to be wanted for whatever reason. (e.g. class synergy, classes that perform below average, etc) You know what I mean if you have been playing mmorpgs for any length of time. Not all classes are created equally.

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

I think it's more about having people that know their classes well enough to be self-sufficient. It seems like every class is given the tools to be interdependent.

• nyxxisnyxxis Member Posts: 62
    Originally posted by Gymrat313

It's going to be...

LF1M AC

And that's it.

Thats how its going to start out and then some classes aren't going to be wanted for whatever reason. (e.g. class synergy, classes that perform below average, etc) You know what I mean if you have been playing mmorpgs for any length of time. Not all classes are created equally.

As much as I fear you may be right, I hope it does not happen and if it does at least long way down the line. Though I think as long as DPS meters and the like are kept out of the game this will be a little problem. I personally think it will be the remote a**hats that think a class is weak because they did not like it that will ban a class from joining them.

All Murlocs must die horrible, painful, bloody deaths!

• SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114

It's going to be...

LF1M AC

And that's it.

LF1M AC (Please no more Mesmers, we have 3 already)

• JustsomenoobJustsomenoob Member UncommonPosts: 880

in the beginning and for a while it'll be just "LF2M" and anyone can come.

After a while people will probably avoid stacking several of the same class with the same traits.   Really that's about it.  

I mean you can't really play a class that doesn't have at least a fair amount of control, they all have the goods.   You might need to put weapons on a swap that you don't normally use much but that's okay.

• nyxxisnyxxis Member Posts: 62
    Originally posted by Siphaed

It's going to be...

LF1M AC

And that's it.

In this game why would it really matter if you have a group with 5 mesmers? Not like they can steal your loot or that it will be that many more rolling against you. I think all 5 of the same class could be perfectly viable if you know your class even in part. It will be about thinking not not facerolling your way through it. I saw vids with all Anet get rolled over in a dungeon, all different classes. It will not matter and I personally love that.

5 mesmers = 15 clones keeps mobs busy while you sit back and focus fire down mobs.

5 theives = 5 poison fields with short bow, then 5 thieves all useing there hit 3 mobs skill thats massive overlap of dmg and a lot of dead mobs.

5 Warriors= 5 blade storm thingys a lot of dead mobs

5 guardians= 5 overlapping bubbles, little to no dmg to guardians and a lot of dead mobs

5 rangers = 5 pets to keep mobs busy, 5 bleed and slow traps, 5 barrages a lot of dead mob

5 necros = a lot of pets stealing life, 5 AoE fears, 5 over lapping AoE dmg alot of dead mobs

5 ele's = 5 lava fonts, 5 metor storms, a lot of dead mobs

All = a lot of xp and loot no one can take from you or roll against you, a lot of fun

All Murlocs must die horrible, painful, bloody deaths!

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991
    Originally posted by nyxxis
    Originally posted by Siphaed

It's going to be...

LF1M AC

And that's it.

In this game why would it really matter if you have a group with 5 mesmers? Not like they can steal your loot or that it will be that many more rolling against you. I think all 5 of the same class could be perfectly viable if you know your class even in part. It will be about thinking not not facerolling your way through it. I saw vids with all Anet get rolled over in a dungeon, all different classes. It will not matter and I personally love that.

I suspect that when it comes to explorable mode dungeons you may need more diversity in groups, as the general idea is to stack complimentary vulnerabilites on mobs and buffs on the group. I suppose with different specs in the same class you could achieve some of this, but not necessarily as effectively as with some group diversity. Time will tell.

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Originally posted by spookytooth

In response to jaybird. I made a formal group with someone this past beta, we played together for quite a while and then he left. As I kept playing I realized that forming a group added nothing to the game because I am basically grouped anytime I am doing anything. An event starts going and a group froms around it.

@op ;    When I played Vangaurd I joined an all thieves guild. It was wonderfullly insane and worked like shit. But in gw2 I think it would actaully be workable. We may even see that sort of thing in gw2; single class novelty guilds.

Honestly, I will keep formal grouping to friends and guildmates, the only true positive is that you can see where they are on the map, and of course a private chat box. ANet has done a really good job of making PvE as uncompetitive as possible (which is what they were aiming for).

Additionally, I see the game as a wonderful avenue for RP, especially since you can be a part of multiple guilds with a single toon. I know that a friend of mine will form an Asura only guild, and it will be a point of fun for us to play as an Asura Krewe. I can really see the rise of Profession only guilds or race only guilds within GW2, just because there are a lot of options available.

@OP

I really think that LFG will be more about numbers for quite awhile. You will start to see some elitism from portions of the playerbase in terms of profession and/or trait line synergy down the road though. You will also see a rise in folks who are gearing and traiting out to be more healer-like and more tank-like, because they enjoy that type of role or because of perceived balance in group compositions. Much of it will be determined overall by the attitude of the community at large, and ultimately how much easier the game becomes with certain compositions. Remember that folks will by and large choose the path of least resistence in all things, it's just nature.

Hopefully, the GW2 community can keep elitism down to a minimum and keep addons like dps meters and what not out of the picture. The game is fairly different from many other mmos, and hopefully this will give rise to a different kind of community.

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

LF1M no huntards

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by Fendel84M

This is one of the problems with having so many troll / flame threads on these forums.

The game isn't actually based around 'control, support, dps' roles. However, there is an abundance of threads that would like you to believe so. It probably sounds cliche by now, but this really is a skill-based game. As such it's better to think of it in terms of skill synergy, and viewing each class as a toolbox, rather than focusing on the semantics argument of 'damage, control, support'. I mean, that's really all that is when it boils down to it. It's just a semantics argument to claim the game still has a 'trinity' and by implication 'a holy trinity'. It's not really practical.

It is true that you can set up a group in such a way, but it's definitely not the only way, and it's definitely not a necessity.

If you want to roll with a bunch of more offensive specs, that's perfectly doable. Same if you wanted to run w/ more defensive, supportive, or control / utility heavy groups. It's entirely up to you.

What's more important is that each player knows how to play their class, and they have the right skills (or don't have the wrong ones) for a given fight. For example, some fights may be easier if everyone has at least 1 stun. Other fights are much harder if anyone is using stuns (I can think of at least one boss that spawns adds when he gets stunned).

- That said, damage (offensive) specs will be very common. Because it's easiest to synergize damage. Everyone can add, and everyone can figure out if they are seeing larger or small numbers. Plus killing things quickly is fun.

However, more defensive specs will also be very common. There are still a lot of people who either don't want to, or don't know how to avoid damage very well. As such they are going to try and spec more defensively to compensate for that.

Probably the least common will be support-heavy specs. Reason being is that they are hard to do well, and you sacrifice a lot to get a good support spec. You will be doing very low damage, your conditions won't last all that long, or be very powerful, so you will mostly be spamming boons, with a few small heals here and there.

I think you're gunna find a lot more hybrid roles than you think. For example, a necro can go minion master, and become a defensive, supportive, and offensive class all in one. A lot of classes can do this in their own way (engineers via turrets and elixirs, mesmers via conditions and clones, thieves with blinds, venoms, and stealth).

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by nyxxis
    *snip*

5 mesmers = 15 clones keeps mobs busy while you sit back and focus fire down mobs.

5 theives = 5 poison fields with short bow, then 5 thieves all useing there hit 3 mobs skill thats massive overlap of dmg and a lot of dead mobs.

5 Warriors= 5 blade storm thingys a lot of dead mobs

5 guardians= 5 overlapping bubbles, little to no dmg to guardians and a lot of dead mobs

5 rangers = 5 pets to keep mobs busy, 5 bleed and slow traps, 5 barrages a lot of dead mob

5 necros = a lot of pets stealing life, 5 AoE fears, 5 over lapping AoE dmg alot of dead mobs

5 ele's = 5 lava fonts, 5 metor storms, a lot of dead mobs

All = a lot of xp and loot no one can take from you or roll against you, a lot of fun

Funny thing is it doesn't. At least not on a practical lvl. Groups will have their preferences, though.

I also fully expect we'll see certain people trying to be elitist about PUGs. What I'm worried about, is if the game will attract the kind of elitism I saw in TSW.

This is a skill based game, but a lot of people will try and take the easy route, rather than trying to think for themselves. This always leads to a lot of QQing. And worse, it leads to general chats filled with things along the lines of 'group LF1M Thief! No nub mesmers pls', when mesmers are actually insanely useful in groups (even if you already have one).

I mean hell, even going with 5 thieves (something I wouldn't normally consider a good idea), you can spec them to stagger poisons, throw in basilisk venom and you have a good 75 seconds or so of stunlock on a 45 sec cooldown (meaning you can keep it going indefinitely if you coordinate well enough), effectively stunlocking some of the bosses.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

BAsically it will be, get 5 people and addapt your gameplay to the tools you have, everything depends on the flexibillity of the players.  

Most important, you want better players instead of players specced a certain way.

But it will take people ages to addapt to this.

But if they addapt to this, they will find out dungeons will feel different everytime depending on their groupsetup

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

LFG - need players willing to be flexible.  DPS only types need not apply.

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202
    Originally posted by Alders

LFG - need players willing to be flexible.  DPS only types need not apply.

Exactly.... Flexible players will be the best players. Those who "want" to play with a single weapon set won't be useful in lots of situations. Those who have multiple builds and experience with most weapon sets will be the best players.

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

All these fears of Elitists wanting certain classes only, or refusing to take a player because he plays x class can only be overcome by us. The players. We, The Players, as a group, have to stop being such jerks. I've always hated this BS about "such and such a class is no good", or "we can't take this person because we already have 1 of x class". Those arguments have no place in GW2.

So, I'll be looking for "Players" to join groups for dungeons. I don't give a flying f*ck what class they are, they're welcome to join. If that means I end up with 5 of the same class, great! More ammo to fire at the idiots who say it can't be done.

Make the decision now that you won't be "one of those jerks" and we won't have to worry about this sort of BS ruining the game.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

In GW1:prophecies, when Sorrows Furnace expansion came out, Mesmers could not get a group because people didn't understand them (Mesmers were always behind the scene - if they did their job well - everything was easy). So, I was one of the people to push all mesmer runs through SF and continuing throughout the game. Now there should be no elitist LFG types in theory (also being in a guild will help immensely).

I look forward to bouncing through the content with guildies, new people, and old players moved to the new game.

Since I have 2 accounts in GW1 - I may do the same in GW2 - not sure yet.

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365

i'm expecting to see quite a bit of "group of 4 LF tank"

or "got 4 just need heals"

i hope i'm wrong though.