Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best Healer?

I have read a lot on this but want some of the fine peoples of MMORPG.com's thoughts because you all are the best, of course! :) 

What is the best healer for each faction in your opinion, and is there a clear "best" of those three?

Comments

• tarestares Member Posts: 381

Any fist build for all factions, by a long shot.

AR is nurfed it is way underpowerd because leach is underpowered.  The game isn't balanced.

Blood is second but restores nothing.

Fist primary and 1 or 2 blood abilities would be best.

By best, I mean is no reason to try anything else as you are gimping yourself.

Is 1 BEST tank, Heal, and DPS. use a parser.

• BigRock411BigRock411 Member Posts: 299

AR is both high in damage and its leech effect when skilled right is pretty powerful.  Youll notice it the second you equip an AR with the leech passives how powerful it is.  AR only heals yourself though, unless theres some shared effects later on in the tree...i havent gotten too deep in the AR tree.

Blood is the main line heal spec, usually mixing barriers and heals.

Fist weapon also has HOT effects, and i think chaos might have some heal on damage, but i could be wrong on that havent played one yet

So basically if you want to heal others go blood.  people like to pair it with AR because its long range, good dps, and ability to heal the healer.  Ive seen healers use other weapons though, AR is by far the most popular pairing.  Ive also seen a few pistol pairing since pistol has good DPS and cleanses, along with some nominal healing effects.

As for tanking, i see that more as a gear and taunt skill mechanic rather than a weapon choice, sure having leech or HOT on attacks makes it easier, but theres a whole skill tree related to tanking and it has no weapon requirement.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990

Fists is an amazing healing spec that is severely underrated by many players.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    @BigRock

I have to correct you on tanking. It is important to take the tanking trees. That would be chaos, blade, and hammer. Well, half of each one of trees are tanking half are dps.

A lot of your survivability comes from those trees and a good amount of your threat.

The misc tanking stuff is important, but it would not work on it's own.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• TheDubanat0rTheDubanat0r Member Posts: 76

Fist is 5 of 7 spells will be for healing. After that Either AR or blood is personal prefrence. If you want to feel like your doing more then just healing go With AR and maybe shoot the boss once or twice. I say that b/c most of the time AR does not heal for nearly a good amount to be viable as an actual heal. That and it takes so long to shoot that ppl will take a shit ton of damage. Fist is the way to go for now. 

• CitalkayCitalkay Member Posts: 141

I've been working on the Merc deck(Ar and Element) and I'm really regretting it, I wish I went Fists and blood. Seems more fun and I'd love to be a healer. I've only got  20 abilities so far.(Mostly into assault rifile)

Is there any point in me ditching merc now and following a blood/fist deck? Or should I just get the merc deck for now? I'm only at savage coast

Or is fists and blood a good idea?

I have 20 abilities so far* not 20 points spent.

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

Fists for Nightmare modes I'd say, 4-5 usually, coupled with 2-3 from blood depending on the boss.

REALITY CHECK

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378
    Originally posted by ashleymorrow

I have read a lot on this but want some of the fine peoples of MMORPG.com's thoughts because you all are the best, of course! :) 

What is the best healer for each faction in your opinion, and is there a clear "best" of those three?

Unless you are referring to the decks, there is no difference between factions.  I would not suggest using a deck as your end-game build.  The developers have said they are intended to be a starting point for builds, not a complete end-game build.  In addition, the ability points required to complete a deck make it difficult to have an effective build as you work towards the deck.

Another concept of this game that is important to understand is the intention of the developers to make it so no single build will be the answer for your character.  You might be able to make a build to get you through 85% of the content, but then you will encounter something that makes one of your core build competencies completely useless, thus nullifying your entire build.  The goal is to be able to adjust to your encounter and make the appropriate changes.

For example, a mob might have a buff that causes it to ignore shields, making most of Blood Magic worthless.  Another may be immune to leech effects, making Assault Rifle ineffective at healing.  Another might enrage if you have a HoT on you, making Fist a bad idea to use. 

The best thing you can do if you don't want to dive in and experiement is follow someone else's builds.  Search the internet for "My First 60" builds and you will find some good starting builds to get you going.  Those often lead you into more complex and more effective builds for dealing with 85% of the game's content.  By the time you reach the third region, you should have a pretty good understanding of builds and be able to adjust your build without needing help from others.

Most importantly, play what you want to play.  It is your character, so choose the weapons you like.  There is always a way to make those weapons work together, even if it isn't obvious. 

Some tips:

You can mix in passives from any weapon, even if you don't have that weapon equipped. 

Obtaining Ability Points is only a matter of time spent playing, so don't worry about putting points in the wrong thing.  Most missions can be repeated daily, allowing you to get as many APs as you need to continue past the zone you are "stuck" in.

• plescureplescure Member UncommonPosts: 397

Fists by far. ive tried all 3 and fists comes out top every time. 

i went for the full monk build in dragon faction however when i finally got there i did some tweaking which basically involved replacing most of the AR abilities with more fist abilities.

If someone is talking in general chat in a language you dont understand, chances are they're not talking to you. So chill out and stop bitching about it!

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

I've gotten good use out of an AR+Blood combination for dungeon healing.

It's good at range, which means I don't have to be near the tank and can avoid many of the boss aoe's, which means I take fairly low damage, so I can stack more healing stats and ease-off on the tanking gear. With good healing talismans, Anima Shot is a very strong direct heal and has a leech component as well, of course. 

AR heals your defensive target, which can be anyone including yourself (if you need some topping up). And with the long range of the rifle, it's easy to quickly switch defensive targets if the tank is stable and someone else is looking battered.

That said, I've only tried this combo in normal mode dungeons. Perhaps it's not good enough on higher levels.

• ashleymorrowashleymorrow Member Posts: 176

I truly appreciate all the responses, thank you all.

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

Blood can main heal everything.  You don't even need points in anything else.  You can invest a couple points into Fist healing trees for a passive and strong direct heal, but really Blood is more than sufficient for all the content right now.  Right now the Barriers beat out the leech and HoT effects.

Fist is slightly weaker, but once you get to the inner trees it should be fine for all content.  AR isn't recommended.

• CantorageCantorage Member Posts: 186

Fists + Pistols is my Nightmare dungeon set up. I call it "Fistols".

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592
    Originally posted by Magnum2103

Blood can main heal everything.  You don't even need points in anything else.  You can invest a couple points into Fist healing trees for a passive and strong direct heal, but really Blood is more than sufficient for all the content right now.  Right now the Barriers beat out the leech and HoT effects.

Fist is slightly weaker, but once you get to the inner trees it should be fine for all content.  AR isn't recommended.

I've had the opposite experience. I'm well into all three healing trees, and so far I've found assault rifle to be the easiest, fist to be the most powerful, and blood to be the weakest of the three. The big issue that's probably already been mentioned is that none of the blood shields stack, whereas all the hots in the game do. So with blood a huge portion of its effectiveness is lost as the shields are wasted half the time. Fist doesn't have this problem, so it's not unusual to have 4 or more hots running on the tank at any given time.

<3

• AvarixAvarix Member RarePosts: 665

Have to agree with Fists. Running purely Fist (Using Chaos as a secondary for the survivability with added SP.) and makes healing seem easy. May be wrong on some of the names since I am not actually playing right now but:

Run 3 stacks of Cauterise at all times. 1 Stack of Nurture. This alone will keep a tank up if you have decent healing gear. Use Creature Comfort 90% of the time since it heals for more than Surgical Steel (Use this for burst healing/PvP). Empathy for when things get heated or need some extra burst, and Vigour for the group. Passives should be pretty obvious with those choices.

With that setup I haven't run into any issues with dungeons or PvP healing. That said I have yet to try any Nightmare dungeons so it may need some serious adjustments later. I switched to Fist after trying Blood/Fist and finding Blood sorely lacking. I thought healing was a joke with Blood as my primary. Not sure if it's the set or just me. Either way my vote goes to Fist all the way.

• Aela_TSWAela_TSW Member Posts: 3

I am working on a new healing build writeup here:   http://tswguides.blogspot.com/2012/07/end-game-fist-healing.html

It might be worth checking out, but it isn't yet done.  

Additionally, you can see all our healing builds on the main builds page:

http://tswguides.blogspot.com/2012/07/build-page.html

(You have to scroll down a bit)

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788

The leach is good for a self heal and can be used well with tanking. Remember you can use passives from any category as well. Haven't really messd with the dungeons yet but shotty/ar has been great for slowing mobs and leaching while mixing in aoe's and cone attacks. Very good for kiting and surviving in pve. My gear is more tank focused lot of hp and defense/evade. High crit still moving between hit and penetration to find what best suits my weapons. I'm far from an expert and haven't done to much digging on the webs but just wanted to share my experience.....

• BhorzoBhorzo Member Posts: 192

If you plan on healing into endgame, I also recommend Fist + Pistols.

Blood has great AOE heals, but in dungeons really only 1 person is taking damage 90% of the time. Bubble also don't stack very well. And the blood procs don't actually proc 50% of the time. Effectively, a large portion of your healing as Blood is wasted. This isn't a problem at lower levels, but at "end-game" this is an issue.

Assault Rifles are okay. But you need a defensive AND offensive target. You also need to be in range of your offensive target. It has a few quirks to it, and not everyone can get used to it.

Fists, on the other hand, is perfect. It has some single target, and some AOE heals. It has more healing output than the other 2. And unlike bubbles, the Fist HOTs stack.

As for utility, pistols is the best. Shotgun is okay, but pistols is the best.

• UsualSuspectUsualSuspect Member UncommonPosts: 1,243

I started a second character yesterday to be a healer. I actually grouped with someone early on, near the beach I think it was, and we just stuck together the rest of the day - really made the game fly by, I was at Polaris in half the time it took me to level my tank up to the same place. Anyway, that aside, my new healing build isn't focused on any of the decks, it's my own devious design of Pistols/Blood.

I was looking through Pistols and there's a lot of drones and passives that can easily boost Blood's healing output. A drone that chain heals nearby players while boosting the main target with +30% incoming healing. Add that to something like Angelic Aegis from the Blood line and that tank will be back to full health in no time. I haven't had a chance to see it in action yet, I was up to Polaris but it was late so I gave up for the night, but I think this build is going to be pretty good.

EDIT: Oops, forgot to mention also that another part of Pistols gives a boost to critical rating. So I'll have +30% critical heals going through most of the time. Well, that's the idea at least, will have to see how it works out.

• DanitaKusorDanitaKusor Member UncommonPosts: 556

I've found fists to be pretty good so far.

I use Cauterise as my builder, Surgical Steel and Creature Comfort as my HoT consumars.

After that I have cooldowns.

- Empathy (normally enough to heal a dps to full)

- Vigour (aoe ground-placed heal)

- Cold Blooded (enough to heal group to full in an emergency)

Which leave one free slot, which I use for either another aoe heal or a aggro dropping ability (very useful) depending on the fight.

Passives are a bit more open and you can fill them with passives from all 3 weapons to fit.

I haven't done nightmares yet but that seem more than enough to heal elites with no problems at all (this is at 2.5K HR with one HP talisman).

The Enlightened take things Lightly

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

As an addendum to my original post, I just wanted to note that Cold Blooded in from the Blood sector an exception. It's by far the best heal in the game. It heals for as massive amount, double-shields, and hasthe most ridiculous range of any ability in the game (I've healed my party through DW from the graveyard using it before, as it ignores line of sight).

<3