Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

whats the diff between swtor and swg?

metatronicmetatronic Member Posts: 329

About a 270 million dollar budget and 3.5 more years of development time.

Whether or not anyone likes sony, I think had they had what bioware/ea had for money, we wouldn't have seen swg end up the way it did. What really did in swg was the lack of theme park elements such as raids, and quests.

Can you imagine if we had that budget, story driven quests and quest hubs per planet..? I think swg would be going strong today.

I think the 32+ profressions, the lack of levels and somewhat forced socializing were just amazing. Not to mention how the crafting and resource gathering all inter mingled together to drive an economy..  My goodness.. Why hasn't someone taken the awesome crafting and economy from swg and used it in another mmo? Why do they all seem to copy that shit system wow devised? And why is no other game using social profressions?

You wanna know what was also great about swg... You only had one character per server... If you were a jack-ass everyone knew who you were, you couldn't hide unless you made a new guy.. And that was a big decision cause Im pretty sure you had to delete the old character to make a new one on the server you were on..Man, all these great ideas need to be heavily promoted in other developing games.. where are the old sony developers now? They can't have coded all that genuis into swg and forgot about it? Who made the crafting and resource system and what game are they in now? Why has no one used these systems and mixed them up with some wow systems.. I detest wow.. but everything is so wow based these days you can't avoid it..

Comments

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898
    Originally posted by metatronic

Whether or not anyone likes sony, I think had they had what bioware/ea had for money, we wouldn't have seen swg end up the way it did. What really did in swg was the lack of theme park elements such as raids, and quests.

Uhhhhhhhhh......

What did SWG was revamping the game to have raids and quests and theme park elements. That killed it outright. There's absolutely no debating that.

What would have made SWG better is if it hadn't had such a horrible buggy laggy launch, and if the Jedi system wasn't total garbage (which it was).

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

"Whether or not anyone likes sony, I think had they had what bioware/ea had for money, we wouldn't have seen swg end up the way it did. What really did in swg was the lack of theme park elements such as raids, and quests."

I think the craziest part about your post is that you state this as fact, seemingly convinced that what you have formulated here makes the slightest bit of sense - reality, history and research be damned.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• er99er99 Member CommonPosts: 101
    Originally posted by Metatronic

"Whether or not anyone likes sony, I think had they had what bioware/ea had for money, we wouldn't have seen swg end up the way it did. What really did in swg was the lack of theme park elements such as raids, and quests."

it had raids and quests...especially after the first combat upgrade. remember the corvette and that damn bunker on endor, not to mention the krayt dragons etc....it had plenty of that and some of it damn hard.

i agree alot of the quests were rather shallow but the overall game made up for those in raw diversity.

i think what killed the original was simply poor decision making from the people in charge. they failed to see the gem they had as a beutifull gem and instead of polishing their beautifull diamond they chose to replace it with a piece of glass and recut it into the shape of a diamond.

no one will ever know why they chose to do what they did. we can only speculate on the reasons why.  The sad part is that in the end one would have hoped the entire industry stood up and took notice but its not clear anyone really did except the passionate fans.

sure there were headlines here and there but in the end gaming companies stuck to their entrenched mindsets (read bioware / lucas arts) ans executed their vision to the dismay and bewilderment of alot of people. we all know now how this is turning out.

i dont really think the answer to great mmo's is a humongous $$$ budget and more time. i think its closer to assembling a great, talented, cohesive team thats respected and treated well. and i think this team has to have a visionary and passionate leader. someone who is a gamers gamer and truly understands what players really want in their mmo's and in the end has to be willing to listen and respond to feedback of these same players.

i think this is the formula to success in an mmo. not adding features x, y and z. it should be possible for so many mmo's to flourish, each with a completely different play style, setting, story etc.

its taken me 10 years of gaming to finally realize and accept, my perfect vision of an mmo is garbage and boring to the next guy.

SWToR could have and could still be a great mmo if the decision makers would simply listen to and try and understand what their fans truly want and try and deliver as much of that as possible. thats the reason the original SWG failed. they failed to listen to us and if the current SWToR devs do the same, i would wager money their MMO will also fail.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

biggest difference.. SWG was profitable.. SW;TOR on the other hand.. image

• bubalubabubaluba Member Posts: 434

SWG had one of worst pvp ever in history of mmo. Combat animation was bad and poorly created and that was the worst part of the game. Game was  crappy never finished and polished but i can understand that veteran nostalgia

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by Garvon3

Uhhhhhhhhh......

What did SWG was revamping the game to have raids and quests and theme park elements. That killed it outright. There's absolutely no debating that.

What would have made SWG better is if it hadn't had such a horrible buggy laggy launch, and if the Jedi system wasn't total garbage (which it was).

This. The bugs were horrible and the Jedi system was the worse thing they could have ever done to the game. All they did after that was cater to the whiners who thought that once you become jedi you should never lose to anyone else. It created an elitist mentality and a lot of resentment from players who had their templates nerfed every month. Also the professions that were broken and never fixed didn't appreciate seeing one class get so much attention update after update.

While I agree that Questing(as well as more help tools) would have helped immensley, it wasn't the only reason the game didn't catch on. 

I do hope that a more competent developer comes along and implements some of the concepts that the old galaxies had  (open skill system, free world to roam, player economy, crafting system) in another MMORPG.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• mcburlymcburly Member Posts: 234

SWTOR is an awesome game. SWG wasnt.

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

depth

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• wrekognizewrekognize Member UncommonPosts: 388

SWG was an awesome game. TOR isn't.

• mcburlymcburly Member Posts: 234
    Originally posted by wrekognize

LucasArts didnt seem to share that opinion

• KyngBillsKyngBills Member UncommonPosts: 452
    Originally posted by mcburly
    Originally posted by wrekognize

LucasArts didnt seem to share that opinion

So what is your point? LA signed off willingly on the NGE...And obviously they are a huge part of that steaming pile BioWare came up with...So who cares what LA thinks?...

And the fact that LA may have tried to prevent the extra small amount of SWG Players left from playing the Game they loved by raising the Licensing Fee...Well...If true, that would forever lose any remaining respect I had for LA...

LA has the License...That's it...image

• hipiaphipiap Member UncommonPosts: 393

Really?

Merges and taken F2P in less than 8 months of live play?

Whereas SW:G didn't even consider server merges until 2009. And never even thought about F2P .

You could create your own content in SW:G.

You didn't have to do Legacy to level up...you could just wander around and shoot things for XP.

You were not gated from having Imp And Rebel Friends to chat with.

Just to mention a few things that made SW:G Great.

MMO History: 2528 days in SW:G

• bbethelbbethel Member UncommonPosts: 201

SWG:

1: You had Player housing

2: You can fly many diffrent types of ships

3: You can fly anyware

4: You can have people shoot from your turrets while you fly multi person ships 

5: You can play as a wookie

6: Felt more like a star wars world

7: Wait it had huge planets. That you needed a speeder to get from one city to another and would still take you some time to get there.

8: Had a ton of 1 and multi person speeders

9: I could go on

SWTOR

1: Better graphics only becouse it is newer

2: Better way of telling a story

3: Better combat system

4: Im having a hard time comming up with more

I did play SWG till sony messed it all up but came back to the game the last 3 years and really liked it. I know I never found everthing in SWG. There was sooo much to do even at launch compaired to SWTOR.

I did play SWTOR up untill 3 weeks ago. I am sooooooo board I have done everything in the game.

Does anybody else find that in older mmos you would play for their 1st month and not even be close to LVL Cap and only have seen a very small part of the game ?

Unlike MMos that are newer. You can get through 80-90% of their game if not get to LVL Cap.

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791
    Originally posted by hipiap

Really?

Merges and taken F2P in less than 8 months of live play?

Whereas SW:G didn't even consider server merges until 2009. And never even thought about F2P .

You could create your own content in SW:G.

You didn't have to do Legacy to level up...you could just wander around and shoot things for XP.

You were not gated from having Imp And Rebel Friends to chat with.

Just to mention a few things that made SW:G Great.

Umm...you don't "have to do Legacy to level up" in SWTOR.

And..."Imp and Rebel Friends to chat with" was just a game killer to me in SWG.

Other then that and the fact the game was starting to look "old" it was fine pre-NGE.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

1. SWG needed another year to cook before it was released.
    2. Jedi profession killed it.

• jacklojacklo Member Posts: 570
    Originally posted by bubaluba

SWG had one of worst pvp ever in history of mmo. Combat animation was bad and poorly created and that was the worst part of the game. Game was  crappy never finished and polished but i can understand that veteran nostalgia

I disagree.

SWG had some of the best open world PvP that you will ever see, both preNGE and afterwards.

It wasn't a numbers game, in that the larger force always won. It was quite possible to have battles lasting for hours if the smaller team could defend a choke point.

I urge people to look at some SWG PvP videos on Youtube.

PvP in SWG was frantic, fluid and fun!

Look at the numbers in this random video... ever tried that on Ilum?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_orWTVG1wo

Seriously? PvP was bad?

I would take this PvP over ANYTHING on offer today.

• Sora2810Sora2810 Member Posts: 567
    Sad part is; SWG had 200k subscribers. Which apparently is more than SWTOR has now, I guess. LA made the wrong move closing SWG. They'll regret it in the long run.

Played - M59, EQOA, EQ, EQ2, PS, SWG[Favorite], DAoC, UO, RS, MXO, CoH/CoV, TR, FFXI, FoM, WoW, Eve, Rift, SWTOR, TSW.
    Playing - PS2, AoW, GW2

• AcorniaAcornia Member UncommonPosts: 275
    Unfixed bugs and all the other problems it had, pre-CU SWG was alot more fun to play than SWTOR will ever be the way it is built right now.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914

FUN

• SandboxSandbox Member UncommonPosts: 295
    Originally posted by ktanner3
    Originally posted by Garvon3

Uhhhhhhhhh......

This. The bugs were horrible and the Jedi system was the worse thing they could have ever done to the game. All they did after that was cater to the whiners who thought that once you become jedi you should never lose to anyone else. It created an elitist mentality and a lot of resentment from players who had their templates nerfed every month. Also the professions that were broken and never fixed didn't appreciate seeing one class get so much attention update after update.

While I agree that Questing(as well as more help tools) would have helped immensley, it wasn't the only reason the game didn't catch on. 

I do hope that a more competent developer comes along and implements some of the concepts that the old galaxies had  (open skill system, free world to roam, player economy, crafting system) in another MMORPG.

The difference between SWG and SWTOR players are SWG players sucked it up and continued to support the game until the NGE, SWTOR players are mainly the same as the NGE crowd, shouting "give me , give me , me , me" and some are complaining in red to make themselves look more important.

Seriously, if you compare the design flaws of the Jedi implementation with the general flaws of SWTOR you should take your tinfoil hat off.

• stevebmbsqdstevebmbsqd Member Posts: 448

SWG was a world. SWTOR was a game. As a matter of fact, SWG was the last online "world". Even though I hadn't played it in years, I was sad to see it go. People always wonder why some vets get choked up about pre-NGE SWG. It is because it was more than a game to them.

Not everyone plays the game to be a hero. Lots of people wanted to be the "moisture farmer" or the weaponsmith. Some wanted to just be a cantina owner and organize social events or a mayor and plot out their own city. Quests weren't required for those people. All of the tools for content were right there. The problem was Sony just didn't realize it. They had their own special niche. There isn't a game that is out or that is about to come out that is even close other than Arche Age.

• KraylorKraylor Member Posts: 94

SWG created long lasting memories for me with PvP.   Back when bases were a little harder to obtain, when there was real risk/reward pulling out an AT-ST, when you couldn't just respawn at full health and full buffs.  I can remember with clarity some epic base wars and skirmishes from SWG....I can't remember a single great pvp moment from any other game I've played, and that says all I need to know.

MMOs now have no risk/reward.  It's just respawn and zerg.  I remember dominant guilds who you would fear, and calls to defend or attack bases. 

SWTOR definitely has better combat action and graphics (although I like the art style of SWG way more than TOR), but it lacks in literally everything else.  I consider a game FAIL if it has mirror classes, and making sure everybody has a build that isn't gimped or overpowered. 

Waiting on: The Repopulation

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096
    Originally posted by stevebmbsqd

SWG was a world. SWTOR was a game.

^^^^^^

This

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• rdrakkenrdrakken Member Posts: 426

Whether or not anyone likes sony, I think had they had what bioware/ea had for money, we wouldn't have seen swg end up the way it did.

No.

Raph Koster could have been given 500 million dollars and 6 years to develop it and it still would have been a hollow shell of a game.

SWG was 90% community, 10% game...somehow I dont think another year would have changed a thing...oh wait, it didnt because all the expac released near a year later did was add space...

Can never say how glad I am he is in exile enough...the destroyer of games.

• minime2minime2 Member Posts: 113

Really then why did SWTOR lose 90+% of it playerbase in 6 months or less . SWG didn't at first it was way longer than 6 months . ?