Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Loving it....AGAIN

Hey guys,

Just thought I'd let you all know that me and a few friends have re-rolled republic and toons and are having a blast.

Basically me and my crew are late 20's with "real" jobs and busy lives, however, we are able to find a couple hours each night (usually quite a bit more on weekends) to quest, run some operations, and PvP a bit.

I guess all the beef with this game comes from the hardcore gamers (which I am not claiming to be). But as far as a casual gamer is concerned; this game has everything we need. We're leveling multiple characters concurrently, and really enjoying the content with each. We find it a great way to actually "hang out" with each other given that we are living in different cities etc.

In any event, I know this game takes a lot of heat on these forums, so I wanted to get a positive post out there.

MTFBWY

Comments

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309
    Originally posted by Tensor25

Hey guys,

Just thought I'd let you all know that me and a few friends have re-rolled republic and toons and are having a blast.

Basically me and my crew are late 20's with "real" jobs and busy lives, however, we are able to find a couple hours each night (usually quite a bit more on weekends) to quest, run some operations, and PvP a bit.

I guess all the beef with this game comes from the hardcore gamers (which I am not claiming to be). But as far as a casual gamer is concerned; this game has everything we need. We're leveling multiple characters concurrently, and really enjoying the content with each. We find it a great way to actually "hang out" with each other given that we are living in different cities etc.

In any event, I know this game takes a lot of heat on these forums, so I wanted to get a positive post out there.

MTFBWY

A positive post on anything here is a good thing. Something tells me, though, that the overall thread won't be positive.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

If you are having a blast, then why aren't you playing it now? :P

It's a somewhat decent game for the box cost, but the whole monthly subscription didn't feel worth it in the end.  Enjoy your time, level up, do some flashpoints, and then when you all hit max level, watch the whole idea of setting nights aside crumble.

Because there wasn't much to wake you up thinking, "I can't wait to log on", after the initial thrill is gone.  It's just another MMORPG, although this one being a co-op MMORPG, filled with phasing, instancing, and more separation from players and a believable game environment than any other MMORPG I've played.  Oh yeah, the engine blows chucks, as you will find out, unless you play it on a computer with a mega-watt power supply rating (get a new air conditioner too, cuz you'll need it).

And then there is the customer service .. type out a nice long ticket about what error happened and why you need help / reimbursement, and get a nice short response asking for the same information you already provided .. or just get a ticket response that has nothing to do with what you complained about.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    Originally posted by WhiteLantern

Hey guys,

MTFBWY

A positive post on anything here is a good thing. Something tells me, though, that the overall thread won't be positive.

Agreed.  Give this thread a couple of days, and I can guarantee there will be several posts attacking the OP or the game, and possibly at least one troll.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

I don't understand all this hate.

I am glad though to see positive post. I personally enjoy the game, playing if from early access and never got bored. 

This game deserves some positivity it. From many posts here you would think that it's terrible game, but it's not. It's a great game and it's a lot of fun especially if playing with friends. Give it guys some credit.

Glad you guys enjoy it. Have fun.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• gravesworngravesworn Member Posts: 324
    If he and his friends enjoy playing the game, good for them. I ll be honest, it kept my interest a few weeks too. The best part of the experience i had was playing with my friends too.
  • BeyornBeyorn Member UncommonPosts: 366

I loved it until I hit 50. But once there the game, for me, just fell flat.  I tried rerolling to do another story but I couldnt catch the same joy I had the first time through.

I wish there was a way to expierience all the classes stories without all the mmo crap (kill 10 rebels ect...) each time ;D

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

Its a great game for casual friends to kill a little time with. Me and a buddy of mine played about a month or so basically Co op. It didnt last long for us due to the many problems with the game.

But glad you are enjoying it.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by Rydeson

Hey guys,

MTFBWY

[mod edit]

Who gives a crap. If you looked at his history, you would have also seen that the majority of his posts occurred prior to Launch and then there is a 6+ month gap. Whats wrong with him posting his impression after all that time?

There Is Always Hope!

• Tensor25Tensor25 Member Posts: 70

Hey guys,

MTFBWY

[mod edit]

I'm not sure what you're trying to get at with that statement. But you are correct.

I did say "re-roll". Meaning, at launch I played Imperial and recently made he switch to Repub. And we are STILL enjoying ourselves. Great game.

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549

to OP.

I would say SWTOR fits a casual player well.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

I too had lots of fun playing with my cousins/friends, hopefully that spark will re-ignite one day.  However as it stands, im burnt out.

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• lalapoolalapoo Member Posts: 16
    Originally posted by Karteli

It's a somewhat decent game for the box cost, but the whole monthly subscription didn't feel worth it in the end.  Enjoy your time, level up, do some flashpoints, and then when you all hit max level, watch the whole idea of setting nights aside crumble.

Because there wasn't much to wake you up thinking, "I can't wait to log on", after the initial thrill is gone.  It's just another MMORPG, although this one being a co-op MMORPG, filled with phasing, instancing, and more separation from players and a believable game environment than any other MMORPG I've played.  Oh yeah, the engine blows chucks, as you will find out, unless you play it on a computer with a mega-watt power supply rating (get a new air conditioner too, cuz you'll need it).

And then there is the customer service .. type out a nice long ticket about what error happened and why you need help / reimbursement, and get a nice short response asking for the same information you already provided .. or just get a ticket response that has nothing to do with what you complained about.

I guess the why arnt you playing it now comment tosses you into the hardcore poison pill crowd.  There are people that do other things then play MMO's all day.

• kilunkilun Member UncommonPosts: 829

I don't know why people are surpised, a know a few that are still enjoying the game greatly.  Most aren't able to be hardcore players anymore, and I think that is what many games go towards.  If you burn through the content in a month, thats your issue.  Some people take 3-5 months playing in Skyrim, others take two weeks.  Who's fault is that.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

This is essentially the crux of why there are so many disgruntled ex-players. Yeah the game is fun while you level. But then what?

The end game is so shallow it isnt even funny. It is just like a solid single player / co-op game with a cheap dungeon / raid grind tacked on at the end.

Originally posted by lalapoo

I guess the why arnt you playing it now comment tosses you into the hardcore poison pill crowd.  There are people that do other things then play MMO's all day.

Naw I don't play it now because the game sucks.  I'm playing F2P Aion currently and having a blast, because at least NCSoft knows the value of a quality game engine.

And your comment about me are unjustified .. I took 3 months to get a SWTOR toon to lv 50 .. is that hardcore?  Yeah I didn't think so either.  This game flat out sucks, the game engine is super-sub-par, the customer service at EA reeks, and the retention rate is very, very low for me and my (former) guildies.

The story was good though, but uncontrollable cutscenes should NEVER take precedence over quality gameplay, UI customization (last patch was a joke), and BASIC interaction between the player and the game .. and the player with other players (also a joke because of all the mouse and interaction bugs .. middle mouse wheel?).

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Glad you're enjoying it. It was definetly the most fun I ever had in an MMO.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• BardusBardus Member Posts: 460
    Originally posted by Tokken

to OP.

Ultra casuals with short term memory loss. I'm not meaning to be insulting either. TOR, compared to most other MMOS and I'm even talking about WOW and it's clones is a very easy game to play. If people that have very limited game time can stretch the leveling out long enough to forget most of the repeated side quest then they might actually have fun with TOR for months on end. Months for them might be like days or weeks for the more 'hardcore' gamer.

If someone comes out claiming they play at least 15hrs a week and played that since launch then I might call BS. I can't imagine anyone going over 15 hrs a week still dedicated to this game.

• deamiandeamian Member UncommonPosts: 66

I really enjoyed this game until late April. I think it was about then that I could no longer ignore my injury.

Story ---- A- Very fun to play alts, and encourages you to do so

Combat ---- B Again playing different classes enjoyable because of this

PvP ---- D The first run at pvp was enjoyable, the changes and grind added destroyed it for me. I loved playing alts and there absolutely was not enough time anymore to pvp all of my toons

Lastly 26 Keybinds for my main class and it was called easy.. fuck it, I ACTUALLY have an injury since February because of the class I played lol, and it's not going away.. surgery might be needed.

i want to love this game again :)

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

Hey guys,

MTFBWY

[mod edit]

I'm not sure what you're trying to get at with that statement. But you are correct.

I did say "re-roll". Meaning, at launch I played Imperial and recently made he switch to Repub. And we are STILL enjoying ourselves. Great game.

I think what he's getting at ferom your post history is you have little if any other MMO experience to compare sw:tor too?

Lets be honest you played imperial at launch, as did i and yes it was fun till the stories ran out at 50 at which point it became boring. Why else would you switch to Republic, you were searching for new content. Once you rach 50 in republic you will be bored again and no that does not make for a great game.

EA/bioware dropped the ball in that they are not putting out any real new content for the game. Thus those that play more will eat through the content faster and be bored sooner, while those that are more casual will eat through content slower (paying ea more money all the while) But the ending for both is the same. Boredom when the content is finished and theres nothing new as Bioware is effectively laying off most of its developers/designers due it the games poor retention. Don't expect much new anytime soon if ever.

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779
    Originally posted by Bardus
    Originally posted by Tokken

to OP.

Ultra casuals with short term memory loss. I'm not meaning to be insulting either. TOR, compared to most other MMOS and I'm even talking about WOW and it's clones is a very easy game to play. If people that have very limited game time can stretch the leveling out long enough to forget most of the repeated side quest then they might actually have fun with TOR for months on end. Months for them might be like days or weeks for the more 'hardcore' gamer.

If someone comes out claiming they play at least 15hrs a week and played that since launch then I might call BS. I can't imagine anyone going over 15 hrs a week still dedicated to this game.

What game are you playing and enjoying? Maybe the game isn't easy. Maybe you have excelled and master the concept of playing these MMOs.

Hating on video gamess must be serious business. You must have a very tough life trying to secure some form of entertainment.

I personally work 5 days 40hrs a week. I probably play TOR up to 20hrs a week. That's been my sched for past few MMOs that I have been focused on.

I'll make the jump to GW2 once it releases and continue the trend. Not because TOR is bad, because some of us actaully enjoy playing.

MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
    Originally posted by StoneRoses
    <SNIP>

I'll make the jump to GW2 once it releases and continue the trend. Not because TOR is bad, because some of actaully enjoy playing.

What I got out of your post is that you will be playing not what you enjoy, but what other people enjoy.  Gratz?

• Tensor25Tensor25 Member Posts: 70
    Originally posted by winter

Hey guys,

MTFBWY

[mod edit]

I think what he's getting at ferom your post history is you have little if any other MMO experience to compare sw:tor too?

Lets be honest you played imperial at launch, as did i and yes it was fun till the stories ran out at 50 at which point it became boring. Why else would you switch to Republic, you were searching for new content. Once you rach 50 in republic you will be bored again and no that does not make for a great game.

EA/bioware dropped the ball in that they are not putting out any real new content for the game. Thus those that play more will eat through the content faster and be bored sooner, while those that are more casual will eat through content slower (paying ea more money all the while) But the ending for both is the same. Boredom when the content is finished and theres nothing new as Bioware is effectively laying off most of its developers/designers due it the games poor retention. Don't expect much new anytime soon if ever.

This couldn't be further from the truth. As mentioned I am in my late 20's, ad have been playing MMO's pretty solid for the last 12 years. EQ, EQ2, SWG, WoW, Aion, EVE, to name a few.

In any event, I think someone made the comment earlier in this thread to the effect of people rushing through the content then complaining theres not enough, and at the same token will complain about some end game grind. This is very contradictory to me. Like I said, I've got multiple characters going, I play on average 2-3 hours a night, and am just having a blast.

and come on, $15 bucks a month for 15 hours a week of entertainment?!?! 90 minute movies are almost $20 bucks these days, and most are crap!

Just love here. No need to hate.

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779
    Originally posted by StoneRoses

I'll make the jump to GW2 once it releases and continue the trend. Not because TOR is bad, because some of US actaully enjoy playing.

What I got out of your post is that you will be playing not what you enjoy, but what other people enjoy.  Gratz?

It was nothing more than my bad typing and bad editing! let me help you out though!

MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • VolenibbletsVolenibblets Member UncommonPosts: 246

Good for you OP, me too. They don't seem to have changed a whole lot since the first month release (when I stopped playing) but it somehow feels a bit more enjoyable now that my wild expectations have been dashed and allowed to simmer for a few months. Might only last a month more but who cares.

One thing I've found that really helps me enjoy it more is to turn off the dialogue subtitles in the cutscenes. Sounds like a small thing but when I could read the dialogues I found I paid less and less attention to what they were saying and before long I was mashing the keyboard. Once you stop enjoying the storylines I think it's time to move on with this game in particular.  

Of course, I resub and two days later they announce FTP, not that it changes very much but it doesn't give you a lot of long term faith in the game. I am the gaming albatross. 

• noncleynoncley Member UncommonPosts: 718

If only EA had more paying subscribers like you two, eh?